Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider (19588 Views)

Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider / Don't Give Up: After Several Rejections, I Got A Good Job / No Good Job? –try These Top 7 Nigerian ICT Jobs With High Employment Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by jeff1607(m): 12:44pm On Sep 09, 2019
martyns303:
Modified:

To those quoting me, I stand by what I have said, that a company will go an extra mile to get you if they need you and I am typical example of what I have said. The only thing you need is a strong skill, with a strong skill, everything else will fall in place. Getting a job shouldn’t be as difficult as it’s being portrayed. 90% of those quoting me are your average Nigerian lad with a Bsc and nothing else to back to it up.

Connection: except of course it’s a government job, no company will compromise productivity for connection, recommendation may get u the job, but won’t keep u in the job.

Interview: only mediocre companies will be doing interview like it’s a gateway to paradise, attend interview with decent companies and you will find out they careless about how u dress but what u r bringing to the company. God knows I met my company HR wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers and this is a highly professional field. My CV is already speaking for me and he knows it.

CV: I spent almost N10k plus hiring “professional cv writers” here on NL to help me design my CV, and still nothing. Truth is, let ur CV be as fanciful as a peacock, if it doesn’t have the right qualifications it won’t matter.

Location: Based on how strong the company is, if you like be staying in Sokoto and the company is in Lagos, if you have the right skills, the company will rent accommodation for you. I have a friend that recently started working in Dangote refinery project and they moved him to Lagos with accommodation.

All you need is a very strong skill, I bet you my last penny this guys will look for you. The only reason why the OP posted this is that, all the people attending an interview for a position are all, Bsc with 2:2, a few 1st class and some 3rd class with some funny certifications to make up for the 3rd class. Too many options for the company to pick from so they look for minor and irrelevant things to make the selection process.

I think this whole thing is based on stereotype, people just go on with what they have been told, read and very little of what they have experienced themselves.

If a company needs you, they will go extra mile to get you.

send that your CV to Nestle ,gsk , Drury, and Unilever , you won't even get a regret mail

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by pocohantas(f): 1:21pm On Sep 09, 2019
SaintHilary:

The thread is about Good Jobs not bank tellers

What exactly is a good job, Hilary?

Bank tellers do not even earn that poorly, some earn up to 70k. How much does the average Nigerian graduate earn? The govt job that people have been mentioning, how much do lots of them pay entry-level?

Please, lets stop deluding ourselves. It is only on SM I see that majority of people are doing fine and trivializing teller jobs. In reality, it is different.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by chieme123(m): 2:38pm On Sep 09, 2019
saracus:
So people should fold their hands and wait?

No. You don't need to wait.
You can accept any entry level position (for the experience) - one that pays your bills. The pay won't be reasonable, but its fine for a start.

But make sure you attend trainings, and obtain more skills that would make you stand out in any selection process.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by martyns303(m): 2:39pm On Sep 09, 2019
jeff1607:

send that your CV to Nestle ,gsk , Drury, and Unilever , you won't even get a regret mail

None of those companies can pay me.....
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by jeff1607(m): 2:51pm On Sep 09, 2019
martyns303:

I was expecting this answer
is 350k a month too small for a person of your caliber?
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Nicoddemus(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
martyns303:

Bros enough of this intimidation. What kind of job do you do and how did you acquire the skills
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by KingWarri: 3:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
Your connection matters a lot.... But God favor supersedes all... Not even about the format of your CV... Have gotten jobs that I didn't even submit CV for
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by s1(m): 3:45pm On Sep 09, 2019
What type of Skills would you recommend for a fresh graduate?
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by blessedjane: 5:29pm On Sep 09, 2019
what are the strong skills...u could give examples too.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by saraki2019(m): 5:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
You don't need connection, improve yourself. And everything will fall in
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by blessedjane: 5:41pm On Sep 09, 2019
[quote author=VAPatrick post=82053573]You might have heard it before, but I want to repeat it again. To get a good job in Nigeria is harder than winning an Olympic gold medal in swimming against Michael Pheals as an amateur.

According to recent statistics, 80% of young graduates in Nigeria earn below 100,000 Naira, and that isn’t a good one – considering recent economic situations. While we debate about those who earn below 100k per month, we still have a unique set of people who don’t even have any source of monthly income.

What are those factors that might be against them – which they don’t have an idea about?

There are about 178.6 million people in Nigeria, and to get a good job isn’t something that just happens. To get a good job, you must know some certain factors you should use for your own good.

What are the top factors you should consider to get a good job in Nigeria?

Quality of your connection

I sincerely thought this wasn’t real till it happened to me. I gate-crashed a firm to submit my CV and I was stopped at the gate. All efforts begging proved abortive. A few days later, calls were made and I was back at the same company sitting with the Head of Human Resource with my CV in his office.

I wrote the same exam and interview like others, but I was the only person who got a letter of employment. Why? What happened? I just had the right connection.

The person who fixed me up was whom I saw at a wedding ceremony. A simple conversation of “what I had to offer was enough to gain me recommendation”

It isn’t okay to beg for a job; you must show them what you have to offer, and you see how they will recommend you to the right place. It is all about networking and meeting the right people. But you have to learn how to network like a professional.

IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE ABOVE FACTOR, THEN PLEASE CONSIDER THESE BELOW

Quality of your Resume/Cover letter

Since we all know that technology has taken over the way of recruitment these days, candidate’s CVs are shortlisted with the help of software. Several factors determine which CV is picked. That is why I hammer on the following things on every CV.

- Structure
- Keywords
- Format
- Accomplishments instead of descriptions

Having a good CV backed with a cover letter is one of the surest ways to gain recruiters attention. If you have a good CV, you may not need any connection to get your dream job. If you can’t write a power CV, it is imperative you meet a professional to help.

Location plays a huge factor when searching for a job. Most states in Nigeria have very low openings, which limits the job vacancies posted from such states. It is imperative you migrate from such states to states with high job opportunities. Few states like Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Porthacourt, Oyo, Anambra, Delta, and Kaduna state all have potentials when it comes to job vacancies.

Skills to Offer

It is saddening that most graduates don’t really know what they have to offer. They don’t have any area of specialty or any skill to offer. This possibly limits their chances to apply for jobs outside their background course at college.

Interview Skills

Excelling in an interview is an art you need to master. It is not just a question and answers series, it’s more psychological than you’ve ever imagined. When you answer interview questions, there are certain things that interviewers look, and they include;

- Dressing
- Confidence
- Work experience
- Communication Ability
- Remuneration scale

Scoring positive in all these takes you a step closer to securing the job role – all things remaining equal. There are several articles that have shown in details how to ace an interview easily, but you have to know that practice makes perfect in interview cases.

There are no laid down rules when it comes to securing a job, but in Nigeria, these are the major factors that influence getting a job. I will be sharing more of these articles in recent days, so do well to keep in touch.

See you at the top. I wish you success.

SOURCE

[nice one]
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 09, 2019
pocohantas:
All the people saying connection should go and sleep. I have never known anyone to get a job. Lots of Nigerian graduates did not know anyone prior to getting their jobs.

Regards grin

I'm always surprised at this, It's either you have exceptional natural Intelligence or just pure luck or because all the great jobs I know in Nigeria are never published. The great jobs are people always giving me a call from someone who referred. All the job publications I see published by companies are mere peanuts honestly.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by AntiMCU: 7:18pm On Sep 09, 2019
truthsayer009:

I'm always surprised at this, It's either you have exceptional natural Intelligence or just pure luck or because all the great jobs I know in Nigeria are never published. The great jobs are people always giving me a call from someone who referred. All the job publications I see published by companies are mere peanuts honestly.
You even get time reply am.

I still consider my employment in my current coy a miracle.

Every other person before or after me mostly by connection.

If you know, you know.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by pocohantas(f): 8:25pm On Sep 09, 2019
truthsayer009:

What is great job? Na connection give you your own? In fact, leave me.

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by pilarnig(m): 9:56pm On Sep 09, 2019
Emmy9ite02:
How I escaped 9-5

1. Invest in yourself and your personal development

2. Get a high-income skill like copywriting, programming, A.I, graphic design etc

3. Learn how to sell your skill to high income paying clients

4. Repeat.

Can I know more? I'm interested in the freelancing stuff
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by martyns303(m): 4:56am On Sep 10, 2019
jeff1607:

I was expecting this answer

is 350k a month too small for a person of your caliber?

Hmmm
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by okewumi: 7:37am On Sep 11, 2019
God will deliver masses in the hand of this country. The story is totally different now.

If you are a fresh graduate cool, no working experience, just your Bsc/HND. You need either of the two

(a) Connections
I add "s" to it. Not just connection but connections grin. I worked for a good company for 9years and l did not see their advert. When you resume for work, you see a new staff. 99.9% of employee were brought in through MD or Directors and share holders. You are not connected, you can not come-in.

(b). Small scale experience/Hustling/Referral
You can get job when you are hustling on your own and from there you turn to expert and you are outstretched.
. Let me give an example. You lean how to drive Craine or industrial Generator from Baba Jamiu Nigeria limited. Baba Jamiu got contract from Forte oil and while executing the project, the site supervisor develops interest in you and they decide to bring you in as a graduate to be part of maintenance department. That is where referral set-in. They refer you because you are competent.

If you are not connected, you have to start small. Our government have failed from beginning and the population is not encouraging (200 million). If you dad is not Otedola, look for somewhere to hookup (yes the salary may be small) from there you can plan your life and add value to yourself (not jumping into marriage grin)

Case 2.

You are working with Chukundi Nigeria limited and you are unable to change your job.

If connection fails,

what can help you out is additional and professional skills. Example. You are an engineer by mouth, no professional certification like NSE, COREN. They call you accountant in church, no ICAN, or as an IT guru, no CCNA or CNPP etc in your field ( I think you understand what l am saying).

Some company employs more staff when they need professional certification to get a project. Federal government or Multinational Coy can insist they want 70COREN or 70ICAN or 50CNPP employee when a private company is submitting proposal for a contract.. I got a job through professional certification because they need it for a project

Most importantly, let be closer to God. He is alive and answers prayer. Don't mind my typo error pls.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Graduate Trainee Recruitment At KPMG Nigeria - Apply Now / NIS Recruitment: FG Gives Automatic Employment To 105 Candidates / GNLD Happened To Me Today For The First Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.