Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,838 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion (1485 Views)

Love Or Submission....which Should Come First In Marriage? / Thought Provoking Analysis On Non Traditional Religion / Why Is African Traditional Religion Seen As Demonic? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 11:10am On Oct 28, 2010
I'm not saying Christianity is not okay but Igbo traditional religion is not bad irrespective of what the colonial masters made us to believe. When the Christians or Catholic honour the white men and make them patron saints, why can't I honour my fore fathers. Christians mould images of their saints, why can't I mould the statue of my fathers?
Or is the sainthood only reserved for the oyibo. I'm an Igbo man and I love my culture and religion because it is who I am; and without it, I am nothing. So, my fellow Igbos and Africa, its time to go home.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 28, 2010
They should abandon religion and all superstitions. The Europeans proved to them that ancestral worship was silly and obviously delusional and gave them Christianity instead. Well Christianity is just as silly and exponentially more delusional than the Igbo people's beliefs.

The problem is ignorance. Ignorance leads to irrational fear, fear borne out of ignorance breeds superstitions. Superstitions let people create invicible beings that are in control of their lives. Which leads to even more ignorance and the cycle never ends.

But since most black communities across the globe are steeped in superstition, I think black people will continue to be slaves to their jewish lord and savior.

What Igbo people and every other black person need to do is stop being ignorant of this world and how it works and stop looking forward to the next one THAT PROBABLY DOESNT EXIST.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Mudley313: 12:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
Martian:

They should abandon religion and all superstitions. The Europeans proved to them that ancestral worship was silly and obviously delusional and gave them Christianity instead. Well Christianity is just as silly and exponentially more delusional than the Igbo people's beliefs.

The problem is ignorance. Ignorance leads to irrational fear, fear borne out of ignorance breeds superstitions. Superstitions let people create invicible beings that are in control of their lives.  Which leads to even more ignorance and the cycle never ends.

But since most black communities across the globe are steeped in superstition, I think black people will continue to be slaves to their jewish lord and savior.

What Igbo people and every other black person need to do is stop being ignorant of this world and how it works and stop looking forward to the next one THAT PROBABLY DOESNT EXIST.

but if i was even deluded and dumb enough to venerate, worship or bow to the images of dead people, i'd rather do that to one of my black african ancestors than some blue eyed blonde haired jewish guy on a cross or so-called saints consisting of alot of white guys who's hands are soaked in blood in fights for their god

at the end, the prevalence of superstition in the nature of the average african is alarming. white guy comes, enslaves you, steal you stuff, and tells you his god is better than yours and superstitious mumu goes yes master

superstition was one main factor the white man used to get hold of africans (unlike the americas where force had to be used). i was reading a story of how a white priest went to a village during colonial times and told the superstitious villagers he would enter a revered shrine no one dared to enter to prove to them that their god was powerless and fake. and after he came back and nothing happened to him they were like "dude must be right" (judging from the fact that most converted to christianity in the long run). silly thing is, you can do the same to the white mans god (abuse, insult, curse, disrespect, desecrate etc) and nothing still's gonna happen to you, because they're all one and the same: powerless, imaginary and non-existent

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 28, 2010
I respect the Japanese the most, they killed the clowns, chased the rest out of Japan and outlawed Christianity.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Sweetnecta: 1:12pm On Oct 28, 2010
Am fortunate. Am free from the group that Mutley313 is calling its God blond and blue eye or the one that is tribalistic. Mutley knows that my God sees him, though Mutley cant see Him. He knows that my God will end his existence when the time comes, while he knows that my God lives on. He knows that my God is Irresistible, while Mutley needs all sustenance.

Mutley knows that the Universe is not without its Master, Who designs and controls its affairs. Since your eyes or your knowledge cant even comprehend the Universe, a small part of what the Master created, how do you think you will see or be able to comprehend the Master, especially when it is your intention to disobey Him? The Easel (painting) is always what the painter can easily grasp, control. So, even less in responsibility or task is the universe to the Authority of its Master Painter; Allah The Sublime. Is there any along with Him? No.I swear by Him, that there is none.

Mutley is a rebel.

And am glad that I can go to Japan. Islam is not outlawed.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 28, 2010
Sweetnecta:

Am fortunate. Am free from the group that Mutley313 is calling its God blond and blue eye or the one that is tribalistic. Mutley knows that my God sees him, though Mutley cant see Him. He knows that my God will end his existence when the time comes, while he knows that my God lives on. He knows that my God is Irresistible, while Mutley needs all sustenance.

Mutley knows that the Universe is not without its Master, Who designs and controls its affairs. Since your eyes or your knowledge cant even comprehend the Universe, a small part of what the Master created, how do you think you will see or be able to comprehend the Master, especially when it is your intention to disobey Him? The Easel (painting) is always what the painter can easily grasp, control. So, even less in responsibility or task is the universe to the Authority of its Master Painter; Allah The Sublime. Is there any along with Him? No.I swear by Him, that there is none.

Mutley is a rebel.

And am glad that I can go to Japan. Islam is not outlawed.

Oh, I should have included black slaves of the psychotic Arab too.
Of course you can go to japan now, I was referring to the time when Christianity tried to gain a foothold in japan. I'm sure mohammad's goons would have met the same fate.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Sweetnecta: 2:25pm On Oct 28, 2010
Martian, your spit is not a soaking and wetting heavy rainfall. I aint concern about you.

I dont have a lunatic, or psychotic arab. I worship Allah. The Unseen.

You do believe there is something you cant see with your eyes?

And japan would not have refused islam, because they went their, as marchants, people not forcing the religion on any person. Just as they did in China, India.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2010
hey guys, there's no cause for alarm. Nobody is a rebel, we are just saying our mind. Religion has destroyed Africa. Americans are deveoping their world and we are busy killing ourselves all in the name of inheriting 70 Vs in heaven. Let us enlighten ouselves, get education and live like normal human beings.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Sweetnecta: 3:24pm On Oct 28, 2010
^^^^^^Abeg boy shut up. Who said to you that if you die unjustly, ignorantly that you will get 70 or whatever virgin in Paradise, instead of going to Hell for your wrongful killing of yourself along with others?

And religion is not the holding back of Nigeria or Africa. Ignorance and lack of national agenda and love of self are part of the reasons we are backward.

We dont manufacture. We only consume. We dont use our brains. We keep it new and fresh, unused always. We are not aspiring to greater things and we dont have a collective purpose to eradicate evil from our mist. Instead we become frustrated and instead of beating them, we join them.

Religious beliefs, right guidance or wrong can shape man in a good war, if we are conscious of the goods we must pursue for our brighter future, leaving behind a great legacy, progressive foundations and dynamism for future generations.

We can blame religions, but ourselves. japan and other asiatic nations are by and large disbelievers based n any of the three monotheist religions. Yet japan is a first class nation. Why, though they are disbelievers? The reason is that each is contributing to the progress of japan. They are thinkers and doers. Unlike us who lack both. If a person were to start up an engineering company for research and development and every day living products, somebody will be intending to derail him. This is one of our cronic problems. lets work together as one, regardless of our religion or lack of one. We are in the same boat; lower or upper deck, it matters because we will sink all together.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by okeyxyz(m): 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2010
Stankoko:

I'm not saying Christianity is not okay but Igbo traditional religion is not bad irrespective of what the colonial masters made us to believe. When the Christians or Catholic honour the white men and make them patron saints, why can't I honour my fore fathers. Christians mould images of their saints, why can't I mould the statue of my fathers?
Or is the sainthood only reserved for the oyibo. I'm an Igbo man and I love my culture and religion because it is who I am; and without it, I am nothing. So, my fellow Igbos and Africa, its time to go home.
if d igbo traditional religion is where ur heart lies, then good 4 u & i urge u 2 do it well. i'd still like 2 c my ancestral culture & traditions preserved at least. But then everybody's got 2 find his own "center of gravity", b it xtianity, islam, bhudism, ancestral worship, etc. Question is: wat does ur religion or philosophy profit u? it should b able 2 make ur life more profitable spiritually, emotionally, economically, socially etc.  if u r life is not improved in these aspects, then something's wrong: either u r not faithful 2 ur doctrine or u r following d wrong doctrine.

spiritually: u should b at peace wit life\nature.
emotionally: u must maintain good interpersonal relationships
economically: of course, money answereth all things.
socially: society should respect u. u should't b criminal.

golden rule (like jesus said) still remains: love god above all things, & love ur neigbour as urself.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 6:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
Sweetnecta:

^^^^^^Abeg boy shut up. Who said to you that if you die unjustly, ignorantly that you will get 70 or whatever virgin in Paradise, instead of going to Hell for your wrongful killing of yourself along with others?

And religion is not the holding back of Nigeria or Africa. Ignorance and lack of national agenda and love of self are part of the reasons we are backward.

We dont manufacture. We only consume. We dont use our brains. We keep it new and fresh, unused always. We are not aspiring to greater things and we dont have a collective purpose to eradicate evil from our mist. Instead we become frustrated and instead of beating them, we join them.

Religious beliefs, right guidance or wrong can shape man in a good war, if we are conscious of the goods we must pursue for our brighter future, leaving behind a great legacy, progressive foundations and dynamism for future generations.

We can blame religions, but ourselves. japan and other asiatic nations are by and large disbelievers based n any of the three monotheist religions. Yet japan is a first class nation. Why, though they are disbelievers? The reason is that each is contributing to the progress of japan. They are thinkers and doers. Unlike us who lack both. If a person were to start up an engineering company for research and development and every day living products, somebody will be intending to derail him. This is one of our cronic problems. lets work together as one, regardless of our religion or lack of one. We are in the same boat; lower or upper deck, it matters because we will sink all together.
you know I am saying the truth, we let religion cloud our mind

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:38am On Oct 29, 2010
on a lighter mood i think some Ibo gods were very entrepreneurial, sentencing people into slavery by way of Arochukwu oracle who swallowed you up only to sh.it you out on a Slave-ship headed for the Americas.  grin
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by jango77(m): 10:51am On Oct 29, 2010
sure we walked in to the trap,, and we re still in the trap, even those who introduced the so called church doesnt attend church, mental slavely
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 1:06pm On Oct 29, 2010
lagerwhenindoubt:

on a lighter mood i think some Ibo gods were very entrepreneurial, sentencing people into slavery by way of Arochukwu oracle who swallowed you up only to sh.it you out on a Slave-ship headed for the Americas.  grin
and who are those that benefitted from the slavery? In those days, even the so called bishops have slaves. They claim celibacy but have many concubines. Even before priests began to marry in England, many of them have kids and "wives", they only have to make their wives official after pulling out from Rome.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by poweredcom(m): 7:38am On Oct 30, 2010
Not only Igbos, Al African , sir please speak of all African dont be base on one tribe ok, that sounds like tibalism
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by PastorAIO: 7:56am On Oct 30, 2010
It would be nice if you could tell us what Igbo traditional religion comprised of. Just as there are thread on Ifa and Orisha traditions. Why don't you start a discussion on the ins and outs of Igbo religion rather than make a thread that is more about the politics of it.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 9:53am On Nov 02, 2010
Pastor AIO:

It would be nice if you could tell us what Igbo traditional religion comprised of. Just as there are thread on Ifa and Orisha traditions. Why don't you start a discussion on the ins and outs of Igbo religion rather than make a thread that is more about the politics of it.
I don't know if you are a real pastor or just fronting by putting that title to your name. I didn't post that topic for intelectual and logical reasoning. Rather, I wrote it because it's what I believe in. Talking about my being political, there is no way you can talk about religion without being political. Who were those that conspired against Christ and had him crucified, were they not the Chief Priests? The highest ranking people in the church. Contrary to what you or your kind may think, Pontius Pilate and Herod have nothing to do with it. So, the conspiracy that got Christ killed was political and it was planned by religious leaders. Why did England pull out from Rome, was it not politcs? I won't go into details on that cuz you of all people ought to know that, since you claimed to be an intelectual. Francais Cardinal Arinze would have been the Pope today if not for the black skin. Why was that so Mr. Pastor, politics. Let me stop here for now and give you a chance to redeem you dignity and honur as an African, that is if you have any left. Whenever you so called church goers see us, you will think we are illiterates. Bring it on Mr. Shakespare and this particular "illiterate" here will take you on it cuz I am by far, more learned than you think.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Kay17: 10:04am On Nov 02, 2010
Back to traditional worship? Back to ignorance, darkness and blindness. Back to human sacrifice? Its some 18th century shit, that is deservedly extinct.
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 10:08am On Nov 02, 2010
poweredcom:

Not only Igbos, Al African , sir please speak of all African dont be base on one tribe ok, that sounds like tibalism
I can see you are observant, I give you kudos for that. But if you were more observant, you whould have noticed what I said in the last line, " SO, MY FELLOW IGBOS AND AFRICANS, IT'S TIME TO GO HOME". But the reason I emphasised on Igbo is because I am an Igbo man, and I understand my culture better than any other culture. So, thanks for the correction, and as a reward, I'm heading straight to your blog.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 10:51am On Nov 02, 2010
Kay 17:

Back to traditional worship? Back to ignorance, darkness and blindness. Back to human sacrifice? Its some 18th century poo, that is deservedly extinct.
Life is like a book, the more you read, the more you learn. When you discover knowledge, you change and upgrade to the better and that is what I call REFORMATION. It is everywhere and not just in African Tradition. Do the Jews not kill adulterous women in those days? Was it not ignorance, darkness and blindness? But Christ reformed it. Did it stop the Jews from practicing Judaism? Abraham nearly killed his only son in the name of sacrifice. So, we no longer endulge in human sacrifice because we have reformed.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by PastorAIO: 10:51am On Nov 02, 2010
Lol!!  My God, that was a very belligerent post.  I see that you're hoping to get into a fight.  Well I'm sorry, you won't get one from me.  There's something that is obviously biting you from way before you even came to Nairaland.  Well, good luck with whatever it is.

Stankoko:

I don't know if you are a real pastor or just fronting by putting that title to your name. I didn't post that topic for intelectual and logical reasoning. Rather, I wrote it because it's what I believe in. Talking about my being political, there is no way you can talk about religion without being political. Who were those that conspired against Christ and had him crucified, were they not the Chief Priests? The highest ranking people in the church. Contrary to what you or your kind may think, Pontius Pilate and Herod have nothing to do with it. So, the conspiracy that got Christ killed was political and it was planned by religious leaders. Why did England pull out from Rome, was it not politcs? I won't go into details on that cuz you of all people ought to know that, since you claimed to be an intelectual. Francais Cardinal Arinze would have been the Pope today if not for the black skin. Why was that so Mr. Pastor, politics. Let me stop here for now and give you a chance to redeem you dignity and honur as an African, that is if you have any left. Whenever you so called church goers see us, you will think we are illiterates. Bring it on Mr. Shakespare and this particular "illiterate" here will take you on it cuz I am by far, more learned than you think.
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Kay17: 11:43am On Nov 02, 2010
Stankoko:

Life is like a book, the more you read, the more you learn. When you discover knowledge, you change and upgrade to the better and that is what I call REFORMATION. It is everywhere and not just in African Tradition. Do the Jews not kill adulterous women in those days? Was it not ignorance, darkness and blindness? But Christ reformed it. Did it stop the Jews from practicing Judaism? Abraham nearly killed his only son in the name of sacrifice. So, we no longer endulge in human sacrifice because we have reformed.
Then you are more or less creating a religion.
Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 11:56am On Nov 02, 2010
@pastor next time, think before you type. You are not the only one that got the white man's education cuz one way or the other, we all did. As for me, I am a revolutionay. I want to give the African man a sense of belonging. A reason to stand out in America and say his native name without shame. But today, you church people have spoilt everything. Evrything have been westernised. A man went to baptise his daughter in the church. When asked of the name he wants to give to the child, he said Onyinye. The clergy reprimanded him and they settled at Gift. Gift and Onyiny are still the same meaning. Is this not ignorance? Sort it out for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Stankoko(m): 12:02pm On Nov 02, 2010
Kay 17:

Then you are more or less creating a religion.
No, I'm not. Just carrying on with my ancestral religion.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Should Come Back To Their Traditional Religion by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 03, 2010
Excellent topic. I always wondered why, in Abuja we have a National Mosque, a National Church, but no National Temple (or Temples) for our traditional religion.

To an outsider it would seem very strange indeed. To us, it feels like the most normal thing in the world.

Just goes to show how much foreigners have taken over our minds (at least for most of us).

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Do You Believe In Sex Before Marriage. Why Or Why Not? / Christ Embassy Pastor Apologises For Failing To Resurrect Dead Boy / The TRUTH About "Mysterious" Healing Pool In Nachi, Enugu State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.