Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,095 members, 7,811,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:26 PM

6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days (35302 Views)

6 Cars That Top Out Over 200,000 Miles - Autoauctionmall / General Motors Will No Longer Produce These 6 Cars / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by AutoJoshNG: 11:13am On Sep 09, 2019
Can you still remember the car your dad drove when you were still a kid? It is something you may not easily forget because it’s kind of embedded in our memory.

You’re about to see some of the cars our fathers rocked back then when we were still young. If you were born before the second millennium, you’re more likely to appreciate this post.

Very few of our dads back then where car enthusiast; most of them just needed a car to take them wherever they want to go and nothing more.

There is a very high possibility your dad owned one of the cars listed in here.

Without any further ado, let’s take a look at the X cars our fathers rocked back in the days.

1. Peugeot 504:

This car was one of the hot cakes back then and was very common. We won’t be wrong if we say it was the Toyota Corolla of those days. Several companies and government parastatals used it as official cars. This car then was a very rugged car suitable for Nigerian roads. Up till today, I am still not happy the car was just limited to 4 gears.

Today, this car and the wagon is used as beast of burden by many local transport companies to carry extraordinarily heavy loads.

2. Volkswagen Beetle:

The Volkswagen Beetle is as old as Methuselah. It is unarguably among the very first mass produced cars to hit Nigeria.

Due to its shape, Nigerians gave it some funny names like “Ijapa” (Tortoise) and “Okpokoro Mbe” (Tortoise shell). The former is relatable to the Yorubas and the later, the Igbos.

Growing up as kids, we found it strange how the trunk was in front of the car and the engine in the rear.

3. Volvo 244 GL:

This is yet another car we can’t afford to miss. This was another hot cake back then. I can’t even imagine how our dads used this car to toast girls back then.

As kids, we heard this car can’t somersault. I don’t know how true this is, but we believed it back then. As a kid, I didn’t like this car much because the wagon was used as hearse for carrying coffin.

4. Mercedes Benz W123:

The Mercedes Benz guys didn’t start pulling weight today; they have been on the game for decades now. This particular Benz bought the hearts of our fathers when they were still in their prime.

It was a very durable car back then.

5. Peugeot 505:

Peugeot needs to be hailed for the excellent work they did to bring forth this car. This car was manufactured by the French guys from 1979 to 1992. It had power windows, power steering and some of it was graced with V6 engine. All thanks to Peugeot for not limiting all of it to just four gears as they did to the 504.

You could see the pride the owners of this car wore on their shoulders while driving this car back then. This Peugeot was another car used by companies and various government parastatals as official cars.

The 505 was Peugeot’s last rear-wheel drive car. This Peugeot is known as the “Work Horse” of Africa today.

The ground clearance is next to none even after loading the car.

https://i1.wp.com/autojosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/peugeot-505.jpg?resize=600%2C375&ssl=1

6. Mitsubishi Galant:

I hope you’re not among those wondering how this car made it to this list. The Japanese weren’t left out; they were represented Mitsubishi Galant.

This third generation Mitsubishi Galant was among the cars that stole the hearts of our dads.

Did we fail to mention the car your dad rocked back then? Just kindly let us know the car using the comment section.

Source: https://autojosh.com/6-cars-fathers-rocked-back-in-days/

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by bluebay(m): 11:19am On Sep 09, 2019
My dads first car was 504 then in 1991 then 505 around 1993 Nd bought the Benz W123 1997

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by ValCon888: 11:21am On Sep 09, 2019
That brown 504 brings back memories.
I remember when I used to sneak out my father's 504 to carry babes back in the day.

As a sharp guy, I would use chalk to mark the ground where the tires are so I can park it at the exact same spot without the old man noticing.

I didn't know the old man was an even sharper guy.
Whenever he came back from work in the evenings, he would touch the bonnet of his cars to see if they were hot.

If any of the cars had a higher temperature than the usual, all the boys for house don buy market be dat.

146 Likes 11 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by tyup(m): 11:32am On Sep 09, 2019
I personally rocked the Volkswagen beetle then

they took me in it to school everyday grin

6 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Raydos: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2019
Up till today, My dad still warns me never to near his Volkswagon where he abandoned it!!

149 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2019
Invariably transmitting some information down the future smiley

Very informative, my dad don't play his 'messi oloye' grin

I can't count how many times i was gifted igbarun for it embarassed

Drabeey was Here

5 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by manlawal(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
tyup:
I personally rocked the Volkswagen beetle then

they took me in it to school everyday grin
Not only you

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PureGoldh(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
Volkswagen beetle was the real deal Mehn.

If we wan travel... Na for front wey we dey put our luggages.

Motor wey get bonnet at the back and boot at the front grin

10 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Futureinvest(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
Wonderful.

Buy lands for your kids and secure their future.

With N500k you can get a land in Ibeju, Lekki.

Check my signature
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by freemanbubble: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
See as all them above me just dey claim say their Papa get one of these cars that year
No body dey green agree say their Papa na broke as nigggar who nor fit afford anything not to talk of car that year

17 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PerfectMatchNG: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
I don’t like to remember or talk about my prison experience, the reason why I have been mute about it all through. The life there is sickening! It is an experience that can drain you for life. I’m not talking about prison in general, I’m talking about the the NIGERIAN PRISON. Nigeria is ruined tbh. And I don’t think we would ever get out of this terrible state till death. I am not being negative, I’m a very optimistic person but I have seen it all trust me.

To start with, I think Nigeria is the only country where you are accused for something and without proof or evidence to show, you can be in jail for the rest of your life. If you know you don’t have families to fight for you, please don’t be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Do you know there are teenagers in the Nigerian prison Small boys barely 18 are there for Crimes they did not commit or know absolutely nothing about?

While I was there, there was this boy they always call chin- chin in my cell. I kept wondering why they always called him that and asked him one day - Guy come here, why do they call you chin-chin all the time? guess his reply? “i was hungry and I stole chin chin” that was what brought him to prison. He looked gentle. I was 100% sure the boy is barely 20 years old. My heart was filled with tears but I could not cry so he doesn’t feel too bad. I asked again, are you sure that is what brought you here? He said “nothing else bro” and I was shocked! I guess he does not have people to fight for him, or probably his parents/family are tired of trying. If you know what it cost to get out of prison, you will be shocked! Everything I’m saying to you right now is real. No jokes. There was another young guy, I was particular about these young boys cos I kept wondering what they would have done to be in prison. If you see guys 30-40 years old in there, true or not you will lowkey feel they committed the crime. But not these young boys.

There was this boy, he works for his oga, the oga just came one day and accused him of stealing 200k from his shop. The boy said he barely stayed 3 days in a police cell before he was brought to prison. A boy barely 20 years old! No proper investigation, nothing was done! I thought Prison was for people with serious cases. people who have been convicted for crimes committed with “evidence” or they were caught in the act When did it turn a place for keeping suspects like small boys? You know what made this particular case worse? It is the fact that the parent/ family of the boy wanted to settle out of court. Saying sir, please give us 2 months, we would pay so and so monthly to cover up but the OGA did not agree. It was hurting!!!

The boy, I had to ask him again, Just gist me guy, did you move this money? He was like “bros, we are here together. There is absolutely nothing to be corny about, I did not steal his money.” Argh! I lost hope in Nigeria! This time a tear dropped!

I’m talking about serving you garri with no sugar! Just raw garri in plates. No sugar, water, milk or anything to it. Just raw garri for your chewing pleasure. There are about 3 or 4 foods in the Nigerian prison. Watery beans and dead ass garri. The garri are those ones that blind your eyes over time when you eat them too much. Yes you heard me correctly. At some point, these inmates don’t see properly again, cos too much of this garri.

The other is Eba and egusi, they won’t even make the eba well to start with, talk more of the egusi, it feels like hell fire. Egusi that taste like water. Guys what does water taste like again? It is tasteless!!! And they served rice. Will be honest with you guys, this was the only average food I could eat. Not cos it was sweet, but aspa u can chew rice alone now. Cos the stew was trash. Imagine putting 2-3 spoons of stew inside 2 paint of rice. Yeah that’s what it felt like. It was hell. That was the only food every one eats, cos at least you can eat raw rice and still be fine Let’s leave the food part.

We move to the numbers in the cells. Here is probably the toughest part of it all, if it’s time to sleep, it’s time to cry. Think about this, look at your room; look around very well. It is just you right? Yeah it’s comfort and you don’t want anyone else. Imagine if your room had like 200 people inside it. Just the thought of it alone is sickening right? That’s how the NIGERIAN PRISON is. Imagine them placing like over 200 inmates in one room. Now forget about if They committed the crimes or not. Actualize what I’m saying here. A small room filled with 200+ people. Do you know what it feels like You can’t even fucking breath ! Talkless of sleeping !!!

I fucking paid to sleep under a bed! Yes there are payments in the Nigerian prison. Everytime they bring in a new inmate, the prison guards are angry and its understandable. The marshals of each cell are angry and it is understandable. Too many persons, too little space!

I paid about N10,0000 (10k) to sleep under a bed. Full time bed space cost about 30k or so. I could not afford that at that time. If you would keep inmates, for crimes committed or not! At least put them in a safe and comfortable place. Not like you are leaving them to die. Imagine me paying 10k to sleep under a bed. You should understand what it felt like to sleep in the general place. They sleep on top of each other. Yehhhh! You heard me right. They sleep in chains! People sleep on top of you.

U can’t fucking move your legs! Ah I was ready to go to hell then. Cos earth was trash and the life and stress was not worth it. Guys, there are thousands of inmates who did not do shit and are in jail! The Nigerian police do not do proper investigation, please watch yourselves.

Know your movements and do not stay out too late. You could be the next person for doing absolutely nothing. Nigeria can never be better. Care for yourself and your family till death

In this age of CASHLESS economy, our Military carried N15,492,000 CASH to pay frontline soldiers' food allowance? And the CASH was snatched by Boko Haram?

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Sunofgod(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
Add V boot!

Remove the Galant!

4 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Lexusgs430: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
Toyota crown + Mercedes Benz (straight headlamps).....

2 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by jayjay2609: 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
How come the car my dad used in the 90s is not there??

Op take time oo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Beface(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2019
I remember those days I will sit at the back of my father Volkswagen Beetle, telling him to speed off and i will being laughing at the cars he has passed behind. Those days I dey feel high.........

9 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by ednut1(m): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
That benz was everything grin before vboot con take hin shine. For one term in jss1 my papa no give me feeding money. Because i used his benz to hit the fence. The door scatter as i forgot to lock it angry

2 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Racoon(m): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
grin Chai 504 Saloon car! This car took then no be small.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by bestman09(m): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
grin

Peugeot 404
VW SANTANA

12 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Sirpaul(m): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
vintage now for young guys

3 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by faithugo64(f): 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
How time flies!

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Bollywane(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
Benz

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Authoreety: 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
Lincoln navigator nko?
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by docjuli(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
Bollywane:
Benz
Bollywane:
Benz

See them
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by docjuli(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
Kay512:
b

See them
bestman09:
grin

See them

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by ifnyioj22(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2019
Morris marina nko? And niva

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by wwwtortoise(m): 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
grin

My dad doesn't allow anybody navigate close to the steering of his legendary Peugeot 504. Not even a mechanic grin because he diagnosis and repairs the car himself.

That motor car cheesy is my agemate if not older than I am since he bought it.

Now he grooves a toyota camry (big daddy) I bought for him.

May God always provide for us abundantly so we can take care of our ageing parents.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
Lies everywhere, even from the army.
They just stylishly took the money to bokoharam while sacrificing innocent soldiers in the process.
PerfectMatchNG:
In this age of CASHLESS economy, our Military carried N15,492,000 CASH to pay frontline soldiers' food allowance? And the CASH was snatched by Boko Haram?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by kunmiiii: 12:36pm On Sep 09, 2019
Sunofgod:
Add V boot!

Remove the Galant!
V boot was in 2000's, it's a millennia ride, the OP was talking about cars in the 80's/90's.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 09, 2019
I started learning how to drive with 504, my dad had all the cars listed above.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Car Falls Off 3rd Mainland Bridge Into The Lagoon / This N10m Lamborghini Diablo Is The Cheapest Lamborghini You Can Buy / Twitter User Shows Off G-wagon He Bought At Age 24

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.