Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,403 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days (35327 Views)

6 Cars That Top Out Over 200,000 Miles - Autoauctionmall / General Motors Will No Longer Produce These 6 Cars / Nigeria At 57: These Cars Have Rocked Nigerian Roads For The Past 57 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by EMIOMOADEOYE: 5:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
AutoJoshNG:
Can you still remember the car your dad drove when you were still a kid? It is something you may not easily forget because it’s kind of embedded in our memory.

You’re about to see some of the cars our fathers rocked back then when we were still young. If you were born before the second millennium, you’re more likely to appreciate this post.

Very few of our dads back then where car enthusiast; most of them just needed a car to take them wherever they want to go and nothing more.

There is a very high possibility your dad owned one of the cars listed in here.

Without any further ado, let’s take a look at the X cars our fathers rocked back in the days.

1. Peugeot 504:

This car was one of the hot cakes back then and was very common. We won’t be wrong if we say it was the Toyota Corolla of those days. Several companies and government parastatals used it as official cars. This car then was a very rugged car suitable for Nigerian roads. Up till today, I am still not happy the car was just limited to 4 gears.

Today, this car and the wagon is used as beast of burden by many local transport companies to carry extraordinarily heavy loads.

2. Volkswagen Beetle:

The Volkswagen Beetle is as old as Methuselah. It is unarguably among the very first mass produced cars to hit Nigeria.

Due to its shape, Nigerians gave it some funny names like “Ijapa” (Tortoise) and “Okpokoro Mbe” (Tortoise shell). The former is relatable to the Yorubas and the later, the Igbos.

Growing up as kids, we found it strange how the trunk was in front of the car and the engine in the rear.

3. Volvo 244 GL:

This is yet another car we can’t afford to miss. This was another hot cake back then. I can’t even imagine how our dads used this car to toast girls back then.

As kids, we heard this car can’t somersault. I don’t know how true this is, but we believed it back then. As a kid, I didn’t like this car much because the wagon was used as hearse for carrying coffin.

4. Mercedes Benz W123:

The Mercedes Benz guys didn’t start pulling weight today; they have been on the game for decades now. This particular Benz bought the hearts of our fathers when they were still in their prime.

It was a very durable car back then.

5. Peugeot 505:

Peugeot needs to be hailed for the excellent work they did to bring forth this car. This car was manufactured by the French guys from 1979 to 1992. It had power windows, power steering and some of it was graced with V6 engine. All thanks to Peugeot for not limiting all of it to just four gears as they did to the 504.

You could see the pride the owners of this car wore on their shoulders while driving this car back then. This Peugeot was another car used by companies and various government parastatals as official cars.

The 505 was Peugeot’s last rear-wheel drive car. This Peugeot is known as the “Work Horse” of Africa today.

The ground clearance is next to none even after loading the car.

https://i1.wp.com/autojosh.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/peugeot-505.jpg?resize=600%2C375&ssl=1

6. Mitsubishi Galant:

I hope you’re not among those wondering how this car made it to this list. The Japanese weren’t left out; they were represented Mitsubishi Galant.

This third generation Mitsubishi Galant was among the cars that stole the hearts of our dads.

Did we fail to mention the car your dad rocked back then? Just kindly let us know the car using the comment section.

Source: https://autojosh.com/6-cars-fathers-rocked-back-in-days/

How can you add Galant and leave out Toyota Crown or Datsun

At least I know those two cars were always featuring in dads gist with his friends.

I hated that Volve for one thing. It always smells of burning rubber
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 09, 2019
At the end of the day
All is Vanity.
If only humans can understand that all things are passing us by...
There is no need to kill,steal and destroy to acquire the things of this world
Everything new will get old and useless
Everything young will get old(if they live long enough)
And die.
Once upon a time,these cars were the happening machines.A lot of girls were wooed with them,a lot of neighbours oppressed.
Who knows how many people were swindled to get the money to buy one of these?
Where are they now?
Rusted junks
The worst part is that they are not even recyclable,which means they are contributing to the sickness of the planet.
Vanity!
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PAQ(m): 5:37pm On Sep 09, 2019
The last dream i had today was me Riding one of my uncles blue 504 PAN. It was a beauty then and a thrill to drive now. In the dream he gifted me the ride! Seeing this thread i just had to comment, something with "504" Is coming my way i guess.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by OBIAGU6964: 5:42pm On Sep 09, 2019
My Dad favorite car back den was 505, 404 pick up which was not listed here, and he still hv d 505 saloon till now ����� hahah and he bought for my mum volskwegen bettle back den also
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by promotervickky(m): 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2019
PureGoldh:
Volkswagen beetle was the real deal Mehn.

If we wan travel... Na for front wey we dey put our luggages.

Motor wey get bonnet at the back and boot at the front grin

Does this car speeds? Cause I only know that it moves slowly true?

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by royalair(m): 6:00pm On Sep 09, 2019
My dad never had a car we used our legs and public transportation.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PureGoldh(m): 6:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
promotervickky:

Does this var speeds? Cause I only know that it moves slowly true?

It's speed level do vary depending on the state of the engine
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by ikennamadu1(m): 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
Raydos:
Up till today, My dad still warns me never to near his Volkswagon where he abandoned it!!

cheesy
Raydos:
Up till today, My dad still warns me never to near his Volkswagon where he abandoned it!!
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Osobi32(m): 6:43pm On Sep 09, 2019
Till date my dad still values his 505 and 504 wagon more than his new 2014 highlander grin
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Gbengageorge: 6:43pm On Sep 09, 2019
OP, its your list is incomplete without Peugeot 505
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Kolisky(m): 7:12pm On Sep 09, 2019
Raydos:

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by oladsax: 7:23pm On Sep 09, 2019
Unfortunately my dad never had any.....na footwagen we bin get 4 my family b4 God nack us with toyota camry pencil
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by banji1(m): 7:31pm On Sep 09, 2019
ValCon888:
That brown 504 brings back memories.
I remember when I used to sneak out my father's 504 to carry babes back in the day.

As a sharp guy, I would use chalk to mark the ground where the tires are so I can park it at the exact same spot without the old man noticing.

I didn't know the old man was an even sharper guy.
Whenever he came back from work in the evenings, he would touch the bonnet of his cars to see if they were hot.

If any of the cars had a higher temperature than the usual, all the boys for house don buy market be dat.
Na to dey pour water ontop engine after rendezvous be that ogrin
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Treasure17(m): 7:43pm On Sep 09, 2019
That Mercedes Benz W123 still in our compound at the moment functioning well but not in use.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Somatic(m): 7:50pm On Sep 09, 2019
kunmiiii:

Millenia still covers 90's bro, and compared to the W126 that had it's production as far back as 1935, it probably doesn't deserve a spot on that list.

W126 as far back as 1935? I give up. You win.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by wizardus: 8:22pm On Sep 09, 2019
Santana nko?
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Justify50(m): 1:02am On Sep 10, 2019
promotervickky:

Does this car speeds? Cause I only know that it moves slowly true?
yes the car can speed for Africa
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PerfectMatchNG: 10:41am On Sep 10, 2019
very pathethic
b3llo:
Pathetic
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by PerfectMatchNG: 10:42am On Sep 10, 2019
done already
anago40:

True life story. This is pathetic.
Create a thread for this narrative. Perhaps, Aregbesola will read it.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by Haylizz: 11:52am On Sep 10, 2019
ValCon888:
That brown 504 brings back memories.
I remember when I used to sneak out my father's 504 to carry babes back in the day.

As a sharp guy, I would use chalk to mark the ground where the tires are so I can park it at the exact same spot without the old man noticing.

I didn't know the old man was an even sharper guy.
Whenever he came back from work in the evenings, he would touch the bonnet of his cars to see if they were hot.

If any of the cars had a higher temperature than the usual, all the boys for house don buy market be dat.
grin grin grin
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by CeterisXVII: 2:11pm On Sep 10, 2019
onadana:
Those years where relatively better.There was a middle class cadre,and they could afford cars.Like for example there was no Citroen in those cars mentioned. If you had a Citroen you were in the upper class family. Had an uncle who always visited from Kano,we always stood watching with awe the way the tyres of the car rises when you start it and lowers when the is switched off.
My Dad had a Citroen DS Super, in those good old days. He bought it from a company in Apapa called Niteco. It was white.

The hydraulic system was the attraction for me. The back would first go up, and then the front would also rise. It was very useful for going through the floods on the way to LUTH in those days.

He finally abandoned it in our yard, when the parts were no longer available locally. It was sold a week after his death. RIP Daddy.... cry
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by CeterisXVII: 2:15pm On Sep 10, 2019
esente:
Volkswagen Lada, Peugeot 404 (pickup), Toyota Crown
Your memory is so sharp! Come let me buy you one chilled beer...
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by CeterisXVII: 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2019
Spain007:
Guy relax....na nowadays kids dey form that level....those days kids don see Life tire bfr today ok.... except u never grow
Cars were cheap in those days, and most people bought their cars on hire purchase. All you needed was a steady job, and a guarantee signed by your employers, to deduct a certain amount from your salary every month, and remit it to the motor company on your behalf.
Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by onadana: 3:52pm On Sep 10, 2019
CeterisXVII:

My Dad had a Citroen DS Super, in those good old days. He bought it from a company in Apapa called Niteco. It was white.

The hydraulic system was the attraction for me. The back would first go up, and then the front would also rise. It was very useful for going through the floods on the way to LUTH in those days.

He finally abandoned it in our yard, when the parts were no longer available locally. It was sold a week after his death. RIP Daddy.... cry

It is well.

1 Like

Re: 6 Cars Our Fathers Rocked Back In The Days by tck2000(m): 10:00am On Jan 01, 2020
Raydos:
lol,Tortoise car!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

This N10m Lamborghini Diablo Is The Cheapest Lamborghini You Can Buy / Car Falls Off 3rd Mainland Bridge Into The Lagoon / Bentley Unveils Its 2019 Continental GT Convertible - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.