Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Open Letter To Mr President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Mr President (622 Views)

Mammoth Crowd Waiting For Mr President In Kano / If You Were Mr President Today,how Will You Handle Corruption / What Would You Do If You Were Mr President? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Open Letter To Mr President by LFJ: 3:45pm On Oct 28, 2010
Hello Uncle Jonathan,
I am obliged to write this letter to you as a concerned citizen of Nigeria, the giant of Africa in deceit, a nation of great people - bad leaders, perhaps, bad rulers as their attributes and qualities are in sharp contrast to what leadership stands for. The idea of writing this letter came to my mind when the thought of how we have failed as a nation continue to torment my mind.
Thanks to your star for the unprecedented rise in your profile; the son of a peasant farmer becoming the president of the largest country in Africa. While some say it is luck, some call it destiny, some see it as a miracle, and others refer to it as providence. Whichever way, what is clear is that; God has chosen you above every other person to control the affairs of our country; there is definitely an invisible hand that influences the affairs of men. This further explains why the likes of Awolowo and Ojukwu labored so hard to have this privilege, but their dream was never actualized.
Less than 12 years ago, you were like every other struggling and helpless Nigerian, crying for good governance. Together, we cursed those in position of authority because of their failure to give us hope; today, we are feeling the same way about you, because you have in no way demonstrated that with you as our ruler, our future and that of our children are secured. Some might argue that four months is too short to achieve any meaningful thing in Nigeria, we are definitely not expecting a miracle, but we want to see you take bold steps; give us a ray of hope. It is said that the journey of a thousand miles starts with the first step, we want to see those first steps; we have been patient enough. These charade needs to stop.
While I was in secondary school, teachers like you enshrined certain doctrines into our brains, doctrines like “good names are better than riches”, you taught us to strive hard as youths so that we can become future leaders. As a former teacher Sir, what legacy do you want to leave behind, what kinds of names do you want us to adore? Patience Jonathan? - Definitely not a name we would like to emulate, not with her shopping sprees around the world with citizen’s money and abuse of power that the Nigerian constitution never sanctioned! It seems the legacies we have right now are those of failures, and the names that our youths adore today are those of Babangida, Sani Abacha, Obasanjo, Yara’dua and their cronies. These are failures that looted the country dry and turned our government to a tool for stealing. They refused to alleviate our poverty stricken lives with vast opportunities presented to them; instead, they made abundant fortunes out of our national resources. Where do you belong? In the last four months, Nigerians are not convinced that this government is not a continuation of what those looters left behind.
Of what benefit will it be for you, if you gain all the presidential privileges, immense wealth, all at the expense of helpless Nigerians for eight years and regret the rest of your life like Obasanjo who realized after 8 years that there is need for a third term to find the solution to the perennial problems of the nation, or Babangida who is struggling hard to redeem his battered image, because he lost the opportunity to make his name great when he had the greatest opportunity.
Presently, all indicators of failure are pointed in our direction as a failed state. A nation that cannot provide basic necessities of life to her citizenry is considered a failed state; where are employment opportunities for our able youth? Where is stable electricity supply? Where is Health care? Where is Portable water? Where is security? Where is rule of law? What of good governance? The list is endless.
Mr. President, I am not holding you responsible for the decay in our system, even though you cannot be exonerated; you were a deputy governor in an administration that was funding militants in the Niger-delta region and one of the highest contributors to the third term agenda of Baba Iyabo; you were also a Vice President in a comatose government, a government that fooled 142 million Nigerians for thirty six months. Nigerians are either patient or they must be in a perplexed state of mind; they are not expecting development to happen overnight, it did not happen in fifty years of independence. But, there could be a process towards that, a process that will ensure that Nigerians enjoy educational funding for their best brains in Nigerian schools, it is heartbreaking to see that thousands of Nigerians jet out of Nigeria each year to school in foreign countries where they are placed on scholarships, they even travel to Ghana, Ghana! A country with the same population as Lagos, a nation, whose only achievements are stable electricity and electoral reform, small as these achievements may seem, they are absent in a country supposedly filled with milk and honey. This is why, Nigerians find it absurd that N6.6 billion was budgeted by you for the Independence Day celebration, the question is: what are we celebrating?
I do not want to believe that five months or one year is too short for you to make an impact in the lives of helpless Nigerians. If you do not have any development plan for the country, you can harmonize the NEEDS policy with the seven point agenda and do something! If you cannot make meaningful contribution in five months, then where is the wisdom in giving you another four years? What plans do you have for the economy when oil revenue drops to an abysmally low level as a result of exploitation of alternative sources of energy by buyers of our crude oil? Break away from the ideologies of PDP if you have to, just like the far extremist Tea party movement is breaking away from the Republican Party in America. The PDP has failed this nation for twelve years; this party has only brought sadness to Nigerians.
I have watched with keen interest how our past rulers, had given us the impression that Nigeria problems are multitudinous, and that it will take forever to solve. It is true that our problems are numerous, but that they will take forever to solve is just a figment of imagination of those criminals in authority, even though the good citizens of Nigeria do not subscribe to this, we remain helpless. The foundation of our problems can be easily resolved if we are determined and sincere. The foundation of Nigeria’s problem is the absence of rule of law. The rule of law is fundamental to any democratic process, rule of law respects us as equals, it allows us to organize our lives and plan our futures. All other problem exists because we do not allow the rule of law to prevail in our national affair. By rule of law, I do not refer to the one propagated by the Yar’adua administration, an administration you were a major player, where perpetrators of corruption were not prosecuted, a rule of law that encouraged Police brutality and killing of innocent people. Our system had impliedly accepted two sets of rule, one for the rich, and the other for the helpless Nigerians, a rule of law that only fostered seasons of anomie in our society.
I would like to remind you that there is life after office, your position today is temporary, no matter how long, it will come to an end one day and everything will become history and you will surely give account of your actions or inaction after death. This is the right time for you to shine, the time to put your name in gold by excelling where the likes of IBB, Abacha, OBJ, Abdul Salam and others failed. To start with, in your declaration for president, you promised the country nothing, saying “The only promise I make to you my friends, fellow citizens and Nigeria, is to promise LESS and deliver MORE if I am elected”. This is ridiculous; this shows nothing but sheer cowardice on your part, is this done so that Nigerians will not hold you accountable for not doing anything? You were wrongly advised on this one. Let us know what you plan to do. If you do not have any plan, organize a credible election and leave, why must you be the next president of Nigeria if you are not ready to give us hope?
I suggest that you start championing the course of the Nigerian masses by disappointing the looters. They are already waiting to milk us again with the budgeted amount for this Independence Day celebration, their shenanigans just won’t stop! This is the time to deny them the privilege to steal from our national wealth. Let us use the money for something more important. What are we celebrating; 85% of able youths roaming the street without jobs, our economy is struggling, our roads are death traps, and hospitals are begging for attention, security is a mirage, what is our pride?
I hope that one day, you will remember this day, this hour, this minute and this second as a period when God, through one of His humble servants reminded you of where you are coming from, your position as a privilege to put your name, your family name and your entire ethnicity in the good record of history.
Thanks you and God bless.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President by Adonike(m): 4:39pm On Oct 28, 2010
Quotes from Goodluck Ebele Jonathan: 'Nice words from you LKJ I Will like to invite you to my office here in Aso-Rock Abuja to come and Show me the way forward to the promise land of our dream. Come with immediate effect!' thanks.
Re: Open Letter To Mr President by zealot4me(f): 4:51pm On Oct 28, 2010
poster cant dis stuff be shortened

(1) (Reply)

What Virtual Nigeria Says About Real Nigeria / Crazy Statistics: Doctors Vs. Gun Owners Doctors / An Open Letter To The Nigeria Labour Congress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.