Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,538 members, 7,837,073 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move (331 Views)

Bolton Sheds Light On Why Putin Didn't Invade Ukraine Under Trump / Zelensky Agrees To Talks With Kremlin, Venue Being Discussed – Russian Times / Bolton Speaks On Being Sacked As Trump's National Security Adviser (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by dermmy(m): 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2019
President Donald Trump discussed easing sanctions on Iran to help secure a meeting with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani later this month, prompting then-National Security Advisor John Bolton to argue forcefully against such a step, according to three people familiar with the matter.

After an Oval Office meeting on Monday when the idea came up, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin voiced his support for the move as a way to restart negotiations with Iran, some of the people said. Later in the day, Trump decided to oust Bolton, whose departure was announced Tuesday.

The White House has started preparations for Trump to meet with Rouhani this month in New York on the sidelines of the annual United Nations General Assembly the week of Sept. 23, according to the people. It’s far from clear if the Iranians would agree to talks while tough American sanctions remain in place.

Trump told reporters at the White House that he’s “not looking at anything” with regard to a meeting with Rouhani, but indicated he may consider easing sanctions on Tehran to make it happen. “We’ll see what happens,” he said after he was asked about backing off the sanctions, adding that he does not desire “regime change” in Iran.

One scenario, shared by two of the people, would be that Trump joins a meeting between Rouhani and French President Emmanuel Macron. The people said they had no indication it would actually happen.

Brent oil prices fell more than 2% to $61.05 a barrel on the news.

While Trump has made no secret of his willingness to sit down with Iranian leaders -- a move that would break more than four decades of U.S. policy -- there are considerable political hurdles Trump would have to navigate if he wants it to happen. Nevertheless, Bolton’s ouster on Tuesday improves the odds of a meeting.

Bolton built his career on a hard-line approach toward Iran, long calling for preemptive strikes on the country to destroy its nuclear program. His sudden dismissal immediately fueled speculation -- and worry in some quarters -- that the U.S. “maximum pressure” campaign might ease in a bid to lure Iranian leaders to the negotiating table.

Easing any sanctions without major concessions from Iran would undercut the pressure campaign that not only Bolton, but also Secretary of State Michael Pompeo and Trump have said is the only effective way to make Iran change its behavior.

America’s European allies, frustrated by Trump’s withdrawal from the 2015 nuclear accord and stymied by U.S. sanctions in their bid to trade with Iran, have been desperate to find a way to broker a deal between Washington and Tehran. Macron even invited Iran’s foreign minister, Javad Zarif, to talks on the sidelines of the Group of Seven summit in France last month and won verbal support from Trump for a sanctions reprieve. Then nothing happened.

“Bolton made sure to block any and all avenues for diplomacy w/ Iran, including a plan being brokered by Macron,” Suzanne DiMaggio, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, said on Twitter. “The French are offering Trump a facing-saving way out of a mess of his creation. He should grab it.”

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-11/trump-rouhani-meeting-odds-improve-after-john-bolton-s-exit

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by Efewestern: 4:56pm On Sep 12, 2019
At the end of the day, a new deal will be signed, something similar to the first one, but will Iran give up her missile program? because Trump is also asking they stop missile test.

Bolton Out of the picture is a plus one to world peace, dude always wanting to share blood. A conflict with Iran doesn't worth it, millions will perish, that is if the middle east doesn't burn.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by dermmy(m): 5:22pm On Sep 12, 2019
Efewestern:
At the end of the day, a new deal will be signed, something similar to the first one, but will Iran give up her missile program? because Trump is also asking they stop missile test.

Bolton Out of the picture is a plus one to world peace, dude always wanting to share blood. A conflict with Iran doesn't worth it, millions will perish, that is if the middle east doesn't burn.

I doubt if Iran would give up her missile programme. It's a big deterrent against a potential aggressor and its support for the Houthi militias and other proxies in the region. Let's see how the situation unfolds but i know Trump is regretting his actions because the sanction isn't producing its desired result.

And one question is, What will be Israel's next move now that Bolton is out and Trump is showing a desire for talks? I read today that Netanyahu wants to visit Russia to see Putin. I can tell you Israel is scared.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by Efewestern: 6:06pm On Sep 12, 2019
dermmy:

I doubt if Iran would give up her missile programme. It's a big deterrent against a potential aggressor and its support for the Houthi militias and other proxies in the region. Let's see how the situation unfolds but i know Trump is regretting his actions because the sanction isn't producing its desired result.

And one question is, What will be Israel's next move now that Bolton is out and Trump is showing a desire for talks? I read today that Netanyahu wants to visit Russia to see Putin. I can tell you Israel is scared.

My thoughts exactly. Iran giving up her missile program will give room for future strikes and she also needs her proxies to be active and well funded so as to keep some people busy.

For us to have a good deal, both countries need to make compromise. I thought this deal is/was all about Nuclear weapons, why are they stressing on missile and the rest?

@Bolded, Israel's next step is very predictable, wail, cry and lie that Iran is doing something evil, believe me, that won't fly anymore. Even Americans are tired of their actions in the region.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by dermmy(m): 7:21pm On Sep 12, 2019
Efewestern:

My thoughts exactly. Iran giving up her missile program will give room for future strikes and she also needs her proxies to be active and well funded so as to keep some people busy.

For us to have a good deal, both countries need to make compromise. I thought this deal is/was all about Nuclear weapons, why are they stressing on missile and the rest?

@Bolded, Israel's next step is very predictable, wail, cry and lie that Iran is doing something evil, believe me, that won't fly anymore. Even Americans are tired of tired actions in the region.

It's simple they want to weaken Iran's defences because Iran is Israel's biggest headache in that region and Iran poses a great challenge to US interest in the region. If you notice Europe does not have problem with Iran's missile programme except US and Israel that keep wailing because of their selfish interests in the region.

Europe had no problem with the JCPOA deal. They were satisfied with it until Israel came up with lies that Iran was violating the deal. Some days after the last G7 summit Netanyahu released another intelligence reports claiming Iran recently destroyed a nuclear testing site. He did that because Macron was trying to bring Trump and Rouhani to the negotiating table. Europe is not even buying Israel's propaganda anymore.

And Iran will never give up her missiles. That would amount to suicide. Will Israel give up her nukes? Iran feels threatened too because it has an enemy that posses nukes therefore it needs a deterrent that's how it works US knows this but hypocrisy and double standard won't allow US accept the truth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by Efewestern: 8:05pm On Sep 12, 2019
dermmy:

It's simple they want to weaken Iran's defences because Iran is Israel's biggest headache in that region and Iran poses a great challenge to US interest in the region. If you notice Europe does not have problem with Iran's missile programme except US and Israel that keep wailing because of their selfish interests in the region.

Europe had no problem with the JCPOA deal. They were satisfied with it until Israel came up with lies that Iran was violating the deal. Some days after the last G7 summit Netanyahu released another intelligence reports claiming Iran recently destroyed a nuclear testing site. He did that because Macron was trying to bring Trump and Rouhani to the negotiating table. Europe is not even buying Israel's propaganda anymore.

And Iran will never give up her missiles. That would amount to suicide. Will Israel give up her nukes? Iran feels threatened too because it has an enemy that posses nukes therefore it needs a deterrent that's how it works US knows this but hypocrisy and double standard won't allow US accept the truth.

EUROPE is just not ready for any conflict with Iran, the only reason European companies pulled out from Iran was because they didn't want to lose the US market. Their body language over the past few months shows they want the deal to be alive.

I know Iran won't give up her missile program, that won't happen, they'd rather starve to death than give up their defense system. Isreal wants Iran to be weakened so they can conduct airstrikes anyhow they so wish, Isreal's strength lies on the weakness of her enemies.

I have some reservations on the headliners ruling Iran, most especially their bad economic policies and human rights violation, but hey, Iran isn't that demonic as they want us to believe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by seunny4lif(m): 10:52pm On Sep 12, 2019
dermmy:

He met Putin today as a way to boost his rating in Israel for the general election as Israel has more than 2.5 million Russian-speaking Israelis out of total population of 8,700,000 (25%).
Roughly 20 percent of Israel's population was born in Russia

Russia is Israel and Israel is Russia
Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by dermmy(m): 5:51am On Sep 13, 2019
seunny4lif:

He met Putin today as a way to boost his rating in Israel for the general election as Israel has more than 2.5 million Russian-speaking Israelis out of total population of 8,700,000 (25%).
Roughly 20 percent of Israel's population was born in Russia

Russia is Israel and Israel is Russia

And you think he didn't discuss Iran with Putin?
Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by dermmy(m): 10:17am On Sep 13, 2019
Efewestern:

EUROPE is just not ready for any conflict with Iran, the only reason European companies pulled out from Iran was because they didn't want to lose the US market. Their body language over the past few months shows they want the deal to be alive.

I know Iran won't give up her missile program, that won't happen, they'd rather starve to death than give up their defense system. Isreal wants Iran to be weakened so they can conduct airstrikes anyhow they so wish, Isreal's strength lies on the weakness of her enemies.

I have some reservations on the headliners ruling Iran, most especially their bad economic policies and human rights violation, but hey, Iran isn't that demonic as they want us to believe.

I believe there is one spirit living in every Iranian those people are so stubborn and united. Ordinary Iranians volunteered to fight during the Iran-Iraq war. Those people are the real definition of patriotism.
Re: Trump Discussed Easing Iran Sanctions But Bolton Objected Such Move by seunny4lif(m): 1:10pm On Sep 13, 2019
dermmy:

And you think he didn't discuss Iran with Putin?
Of course Yes

(1) (Reply)

McConnel Can Declare Impeachment Null And Void Because Articles Not Transmitted / French Doctors Suggest Testing Covid-19 Vaccine In Africa, Slammed As Racist / Bernie Sanders Officially Endorsed Joe Biden To Challenge Donald Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.