Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria (46291 Views)

Devastating Flood In Bayelsa State In Pictures / Slay Queens Swim In Flood In Imo State (Photos) / Heavy Rainfall And Flood In Jibia Katsina (Photos Of Havoc Caused) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Ishilove: 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2019
airsaylongcon:

Even this one is terribly written with evidence of plagiarism glaringly there
Oh. I wasn't paying attention.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Neddyogu(m): 4:41pm On Sep 13, 2019
Wee plastic road cope with the weight of all diz Dangote trailers for this lokoja-abuja Rd?
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by JOMAX: 4:52pm On Sep 13, 2019
koropon:
Good development. I hope Nigeria will key in. However, what about heat?

it's not just plastic still contains bitumen just that plastic is an additive here as part of the composite aggregate. Mainly due to the extra strength and durability from abrasion and water resistance. That concern here is that if the final structure is highly flammable, huge sections of the road can go up in flames from one fire incident on the road.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by JOMAX: 4:57pm On Sep 13, 2019
Flyingngel:
If plastic road is now the in-thing then many countries that want to go that way shld not bother hw they are going to source for plastics.
Lagos and Abia empty rubbers shld cover the a large kilometres of their road.

Na ... not just any kind of plastic works you know. Besides a full trailer load of recycled plastic can hardly equate 2tonnes of compressed plastic pellets
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by JOMAX: 5:01pm On Sep 13, 2019
gwarotango:
Excellent idea on the surface. What do our engineers in the house think about it?

it's a plastic alloy not entirely plastic. plastic constituent might not exceed 15-20 % of the entire substrate.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:03pm On Sep 13, 2019
Flyingngel:
If plastic road is now the in-thing then many countries that want to go that way shld not bother hw they are going to source for plastics.
Lagos and Abia empty rubbers shld cover the a large kilometres of their road.
Building a plastic road, do not necessarily means they will recycle plastic waste to build the road bus instead, they will use Ethane Gas
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by maisauki: 7:02pm On Sep 13, 2019
sparog:

Yeah, someone even made a post about it here on Nairaland. I think it happened in either Ogun state or Lagos state.
unbelievable!
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by tck2000(m): 8:31pm On Sep 13, 2019
really nice
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by gwarotango: 11:53pm On Sep 13, 2019
engrchykae:
it will be excellent especially if the right choice of material is chosen also cost should be considered.
polyphenylene sulphide and nylon derivatives would be great.
if this is done coupled with good drainage,bad roads will become myth in nigeria.
am a polymer and textile engineer.
so i know what am saying
Yese but that's just the science aspect of thee problem. Don't you think the engineering design will poise a bigger problem in the actual design and implementation of the project? Your might be able to create such a material in your labs but it would still be subjected to the civil engineer's design
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by gwarotango: 12:08am On Sep 14, 2019
babyfalo:
To all Non Engineer in this room.

What the article is taking about is that

1. It will reduce the dirt of plastic or rubber littering in the environment.

2. The plastic will still be mixed with bitumen..the plastic will served as added component/material to the asphalt material for durability.

3. The ratio of the bitumen will be higher that the plastic, rubber or PVC material to be used.

4. If it is to be used in Nigeria. It will be good to be used for the potholes.

5. Before this is done series of test will be carried out depending on intensity of heat in such environment.. The higher the heat in the environment the more bitumen to be added to the plastic/rubber/PVC.
Good one. I've learnt a lot from you
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Originalsly: 2:05am On Sep 14, 2019
Hmmm.... never heard about this before..... learned that they recycled tyres... mixed with bitumen. Of late they resurfaced a stretch of road with some new mixture... noticed it was very dark and very little tyre sound when driving on it. Maybe plastic?
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Kingzy4pep(m): 3:16am On Sep 14, 2019
sparog:
This is actually cool.

There is a school in southwest that allows parents pay school fees of their wards using plastic waste, I've been wandering what the school does with it but now I know better

Tell me you're kidding.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by Temishams: 3:41am On Sep 14, 2019
I have a phd frnd doing this.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by sparog(m): 6:23am On Sep 14, 2019
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by sparog(m): 6:24am On Sep 14, 2019
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by engrchykae(m): 7:55am On Sep 14, 2019
gwarotango:
Yese but that's just the science aspect of thee problem. Don't you think the engineering design will poise a bigger problem in the actual design and implementation of the project? Your might be able to create such a material in your labs but it would still be subjected to the civil engineer's design
the design can be based on the bitumen system but will be better if it goes deeper to avoid water washing away the soil around it.
ofcourse water can't threaten the service life of such road.
Re: Plastic Roads: The Possible End Of Pot Holes And Flood In Nigeria by maisauki: 10:46am On Sep 17, 2019
sparog:

Yeah, someone even made a post about it here on Nairaland. I think it happened in either Ogun state or Lagos state.
https://www.nairaland.com/5236344/school-where-fees-paid-exchange#79192230

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Operation Shark: Lagos Recovers Dump Truck From Lagoon (Videos, Pictures) / Rural And Northern Immigration Pilot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.