Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:36 AM

Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story (24096 Views)

Peter Obi Certificate SAGA. The Hunter Is Now The Hunted. / Addax OML License Saga: The Real Facts / FUOYE Killings: Nigerians Demand Justice, Drag Bisi Fayemi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by RexTramadol1: 5:07pm On Sep 13, 2019
I knew it from the onset that it's an incomplete story
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by klas(m): 5:12pm On Sep 13, 2019
Reptyle:
I wish there could be a course called "How to Plan and Organise a Peaceful Protest" taught in schools, especially higher institutions. Perhaps it can form part of the GNS or GST courses every student is exposed to in the early part of their university days. Our Nigerian anti-riot also need to be exposed to a similar course but this time should focus on how to prevent a protest from becoming a riot!

What a lot of us cloak as "peaceful protest" in Nigeria is far from it. In a peaceful protest, you don't hurl missiles at law enforcement. You don't go to the nearest public garage to hire touts and ruffians in the name of mobilisation. "Aluta" isn't a license for lawless and mindless behaviour.

How can a protest by students of a university degenerate to the point of hurling rocks and other projectiles at the convoy of a government official? I watched this video and several others and I am surprised this incident only led to 2 deaths. This could easily have become another Police vs Shiites war leading to a slew of casualties

From all indications, the police did not willfully open fire on students. They did so because they were provoked. If you corner a policeman and attack him with rocks, he will respond the only way he knows how...with much more violence. Our policemen are experts at heavy-handed conflict resolution. They adopt extreme measures in every conflict, shooting to kill most times. The unfortunate thing here is that the police weapons are equipped with real bullets and not plastic bullets as is usual in developed climes. This is a major failure on the part of the government. It is time we realise that protests are an inalienable part of democracy so we will see more of this as time goes on. It is, therefore, time to re-train and equip our law enforcement agents accordingly.

Over a million people marched and protested during the recently resolved Hong Kong protests. No one lost their lives in the crises apart from the 5 protesters that reportedly committed ritual suicide to press home their demands. This is because the police deployed standard riot gear: Teargas, Rubber bullets and batons.

Students and citizens must do better. The Police also needs a total reorientation and proper equipment to avoid this unnecessary loss of lives going forward.

God bless the dead and console their families.

The bolded is very true.
You could hear those people in the bus saying in yoruba that they wished it were army that came instead of police. That the soldiers would have treated their Bleep up.

2 Likes

Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by jchioma: 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2019
Nymphnode:
After seeing the video, I would have fought back with brute force too if I got attacked in this manner. Survival instinct and anger would have taken over better judgement.

And you would have gone on a killing spree against better judgement?

... so much for anger that does not value the sanctity of human life.
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by helphelp: 6:42pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ibile77:
I am still laughing, I hope the iron did not cause damage to ...

I hope it didn't as well. But mhen funny to the bones
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by Ayo199(m): 6:45pm On Sep 13, 2019
Neddstark:
Police should have shot more. Idiots, graduates behaving like area boys. Shame
This is not the first time a peaceful protest was held in oye..as a matter of fact, the protest held in the neighbouring campus same day without any casualties. The root of this matter was when the police arrested two students from ikole campus and locked them up during the course of the protest. The sug president was also manhandled when he attempted to interfere, all because they were voicing out their grievances. You cant understand what they're going through there in terms of poor electricity and infrastructures if you havent been there.
I must say I am dissapponted with this your comment..
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by emmykey0128(m): 7:06pm On Sep 13, 2019
Are you trying to tell me that because of this video, shooting them with live bullet is d only solution? Because I don't understand why u are showing us d video now, because they stoned the bus of d press so killing them is not d next thing? Oga o o
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by Neddstark: 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2019
Ayo199:

This is not the first time a peaceful protest was held in oye..as a matter of fact, the protest held in the neighbouring campus same day without any casualties. The root of this matter was when the police arrested two students from ikole campus and locked them up during the course of the protest. The sug president was also manhandled when he attempted to interfere, all because they were voicing out their grievances. You cant understand what they're going through there in terms of poor electricity and infrastructures if you havent been there.
I must say I am dissapponted with this your comment..

I see students throwing rocks at police. If you were a police, are you expected to receive the projectiles? They even attacked innocent people. They just made things worse. There would be poorer electricity there and nothing will happen.

1 Like

Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by Neddstark: 7:25pm On Sep 13, 2019
denjjy:
That's an average Nigerian way of thinking and the reason why we'll continue to suffer and keep smiling in this shithole. So a student sent to school cannot express his/her dissatisfaction again. my heart sinks anytime it come across my mind that I'm a Nigerian coz I know there's no hope for this country. Only a mad man would keep believing and hoping that Nigeria will be better one day......get a VISA and escape from this horrible Zoo

Express dissatisfaction yes. But violence with the police is suicidal. It should be avoided at all costs.
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by renewable1(m): 8:24pm On Sep 13, 2019
It's well with Nigeria.

Check my signature for an amazing promo
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by toprealman: 9:48pm On Sep 13, 2019
This is just shameful
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by ithink7: 11:21pm On Sep 13, 2019
That video look like a typical aluta.

It doesn't warrant using live bullet on those kids. We all went through that phase. Police used to use tear gas and we throw it back at them. We won't be adding value to the world today if police used live bullet on us.

They need to take it easy with the kids. It's a phase, they'll all outgrow that stage. People don't kill their teenage kids because they're stubborn. Every teenager must demonstrate that character either positively or negatively.

Dpharisee:
Show this video to their parents so that they can see the kind of children they sent to a higher institution.

Throwing stones and projectiles at armed security agents is madness, Aluta spirit can be destructive, we did it in our days, burnt several vehicles and destroyed facilities.

The school was shutdown for 2 months, then the school authorities calculated the value of all that was destroyed and imposed it on us.
Resumption followed this sequence.
1st week: 100 Level (novices and Jambites) and Final year students (eager to graduate) = very peaceful group.
2nd Week: 400L (many of whom just returned from SIWES or Industrial Attachment) = We dont want trouble group.
After one month when Lectures have gone far: 200L = semi trouble group
Finally 300L = troublesome and hot headed group.

For you to enter the school gate or attend lectures on return you must present your receipt of payment for damages.
We hear am that year.
After we graduated, I learnt that Aluta can be successfully done without violence.

Las las, that lady on blue skirt at the end of the video, I just hope that the fence rod didnt affect that place you are thinking cheesy
Re: Fuoye Saga: The Unsaid Part Of The Story by Greatzeus(m): 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
Vianna:
They were sent to school to read and get a degree not to protest over electricity
Imagine, electricity oh undecided not even tuition increment. Which part of Nigeria isn't having power problem?
I only pity the parents,may God console them.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodluck Jonathan Mourns Ibrahim Dasuki / Kogi Youths Protest Against Rice Donations By Senators (Photos) / Cameroon’s Lagbo Dam Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Flood – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.