Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,857 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? (2322 Views)

8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities / Top 10 Slowest Nigerian Universities / 20 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Genesiszero: 5:20pm On Sep 14, 2019
I have been observing these for a long time now that its sometimes seems mysterious to me.

Why do Nigerian universities often changes Someone else's course of application ? I have seen people with higher jamb scores and amazing post Utme score and good O level result and yet, they end up being admitted to a different course.

I had a neighbor who was good in science, I mean extremely good in science subjects, he wrote jamb and hit extremely above his course requirement by far, he floored his O level result, he wanted studying mechanical engineering. He's so good with machines that I sometimes watch him do crazy things.... He wanted nurturing that talent by applying an engineering course only to be given "ADULT EDUCATION"

He has been at home for about 3 years now, he will write jamb and hit the point, post utme and hit the point and still yet no admission!

He even told me that he saw someone with a lesser mark and was admitted in mechanical engineering.... And most of then are actually not with so much higher point but was still admitted to mech engineering.....

As a person I think we would academically perform best if given opportunities to be in our dream course as the love and passion for it has been there......

I don't see this common in UK or US Universities.

Why is this so common in Nigerian universities?
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by BoboKush(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2019
Sometimes people av wrong subject combinations.... Esp in jamb and waec... There are some required subject very important to study a course
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Genesiszero: 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2019
BoboKush:
Sometimes he people av wrong subject combinations.... Esp in jamb and waec... There are some required subject very important to study a course
He uses the correct subject combinations!
English, maths, Physics and chemistry!!!
As and Bs inclusive!!!
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by WinningEleven(m): 7:51pm On Sep 14, 2019
Genesiszero:
I have been observing these for a long time now that its sometimes seems mysterious to me.

Why do Nigerian universities often changes Someone else's course of application ? I have seen people with higher jamb scores and amazing post Utme score and good O level result and yet, they end up being admitted to a different course.

I had a neighbor who was good in science, I mean extremely good in science subjects, he wrote jamb and hit extremely above his course requirement by far, he floored his O level result, he wanted studying mechanical engineering. He's so good with machines that I sometimes watch him do crazy things.... He wanted nurturing that talent by applying an engineering course only to be given "ADULT EDUCATION"

He has been at home for about 3 years now, he will write jamb and hit the point, post utme and hit the point and still yet no admission!

He even told me that he saw someone with a lesser mark and was admitted in mechanical engineering.... And most of then are actually not with so much higher point but was still admitted to mech engineering.....

As a person I think we would academically perform best if given opportunities to be in our dream course as the love and passion for it has been there......

The problem isn't from the uni. The problem is probably from the boy.

Wrong subject combo can cause this kinda nonsense.
He should also choose a transparent university like ui. Very good uni

1 Like

Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by InansBobo(m): 9:02pm On Sep 14, 2019
Genesiszero:

tell him to choose Futminna mechanical engineering and score 240+ in jamb and 230+ in post utme. Thank me later
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by BoboKush(m): 9:43pm On Sep 14, 2019
Genesiszero:

He uses the correct subject combinations!
English, maths, Physics and chemistry!!!
As and Bs inclusive!!!

What abt his waec too.... because it both jamb n waec

M. Nt ruling out the Nigeria factor ie once one department full they put other in abt department they like.... Lol

Nt all sch tho
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by kode12: 7:24am On Sep 15, 2019
I won't be surprised if its University of Ilorin he has been applying to. Honestly I don't understand how that university does its course swapping. Tell him to apply to Uniben, if he doesn't get into Mechanical Engineering, atleast he'll be given something very close.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by franklingud(m): 9:52am On Sep 15, 2019
It's simple; Your results has been sold.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by VAPatrick: 9:55am On Sep 15, 2019
kode12:
I won't be surprised if its University of Ilorin he has been applying to. Honestly I don't understand how that university does its course swapping. Tell him to apply to Uniben, if he doesn't get into Mechanical Engineering, atleast he'll be given something very close.

Great Uniben, my Alma mater, used to be the most liberal and transparent school, admission-wise. I don't know if it still is.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Biritiko: 10:39am On Sep 15, 2019
Is it by force to go to that particular school?
Nonsense!
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by sparog(m): 10:49am On Sep 15, 2019
He should try a federal uni or private uni, he'll surely be given admission into his prefered choice if he merits it.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by generationz(f): 11:57am On Sep 15, 2019
Genesiszero:

Which school is that?

All these mushroom schools sha
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
Uniben sits at the top of this pile.

They killed my quest for University Education.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
It is due to excess in demand over supply. When the capacity in a department is full, they'll have to move the others to any available department that matches closely to their initial choice. Do not blame the school, blame the government.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by VAPatrick: 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2019
blizard44:
Uniben sits at the top of this pile.

They killed my quest for University Education.

Sorry about your experience. Like i said in my post, "used to be." The situation may have changed. Those who attended Uniben 10 - 20 years ago can testify to this. Unlike most Nigerian universities that deny students admission for no reason, in Uniben of old, once you make the cut-off, you're offered admission for your chosen course, irrespective of where you come from. But if you do not make the cut-off mark, they may admit you into a different department. For instance, if you do not meet the cutoff for Medicine, they may offer you Agric Economics, Animal Science or any other course.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by galantjoe(m): 1:49pm On Sep 15, 2019
Na witches and wizards
It does happen to sharp brain guys
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 15, 2019
DanXplore:
It is due to excess in demand over supply. When the capacity in a department is full, they'll have to move the others to any available department that matches closely to their initial choice. Do not blame the school, blame the government.
I blame the school( federal universities especially although not all) for allowing such in the first place. Instead of increasing the cut off point beyond 200 as result of high score, they stick to it because of their selfish desires
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Sep 15, 2019
VAPatrick:

Sorry about your experience. Like i said in my post, "used to be." The situation may have changed. Those who attended Uniben 10 - 20 years ago can testify to this. Unlike most Nigerian universities that deny students admission for no reason, in Uniben of old, once you make the cut-off, you're offered admission for your chosen course, irrespective of where you come from. But if you do not make the cut-off mark, they may admit you into a different department. For instance, if you do not meet the cutoff for Medicine, they may offer you Agric Economics, Animal Science or any other course.
Has Uniben changed now?
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by deyemih: 3:41pm On Sep 15, 2019
Pls kindly vote for me to get an entry into the fcmb flexxtern program. Follow the link below and vote with facebook, twitter or both. Please help a brother. Thanks.

https://apply.fcmb.com/flexxtern4/entry/WBW7Y9SB
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by VAPatrick: 4:02pm On Sep 15, 2019
asuustrike1:

Has Uniben changed now?

I can't tell. It's almost 10 years I left.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 15, 2019
VAPatrick:

I can't tell. It's almost 10 years I left.
Ok
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by alternateReality: 4:22pm On Sep 15, 2019
Choice of University is important. For me, I didn't do too well in my jamb (214) and I knew I had to give my all in my post utme. I was offered admission because i had the highest post utme in my department. Unizik is a good school.
Re: Why Do This Happen Much In Nigerian Universities??? by Samfloxin(m): 5:17pm On Sep 15, 2019
Why can't it happen? Have your leaders given you what they promised you...

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Twitter Handle Is Having A Poll To End Or Continue With The Strike / Eight Wrong Philosophy Of Life / Unilag Diploma Registration Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.