Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,722 members, 7,809,744 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers (32912 Views)

Kidnappers Abduct & Kill Salihu Dovo, Ardo-kola LGA Chairman In Taraba / Woodbery Defrauded US Firm Of $15.3 Million Stashed Away In Bitcoin Wallet / Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by TrendVibes: 7:22am On Sep 17, 2019
as anxiety grips Abuja residents over kidnappings

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, Dr Umar Ardo, whose daughter, Aisha, was kidnapped Saturday, said he paid $15,000 to secure her release.

He told Daily Trust yesterday that he was contacted by one of the kidnappers on Sunday at about 9:56 am who said his daughter would return to him safely if he cooperates with them.

“I then said okay I will cooperate and negotiate with you on one condition; that is if you give me two promises. One, that you will not harm my daughter, by which I meant you won’t kill her. Secondly you will not molest my daughter by which I meant you won’t rape her.

“But if you cannot promise me these two then you can as well do what you want to do with her. The caller then said Dr I see you are a gentleman and I am also a gentleman. I give you these two promises; we will not touch your daughter.

“I then asked what would you want me to do in order to get back my daughter? He said you are going to pay us $15,000. If you cooperate with us your daughter would return to you but if you don’t cooperate with us you will never see her again alive.”

Describing the kidnappers as gentlemen who kept their promise, Ardo said they later called him around 3 pm to say they wanted him to make the payment by bit coin . “I told them I don’t know how to do this bit payment but the caller insisted I must learn. I will text you our address through which you will go and make the payment; it is up to you to do that; don’t forget the life of your daughter is on the line.

“Thank God I had the money in my domiciliary account. I got somebody who paid the money through the wallet account. Within an hour we sent the money and it generated payment evidence which I texted to him. I was waiting for his response but he didn’t but by 10 pm a call came I picked and it was my daughter. She said she was at drumstick at Gwarimpa where I went with family members and picked her.” Ardo said.

Meanwhile, recent incidents of abductions in Abuja’s highbrow areas have shocked some residents who now live in fear for their lives. Before now, kidnappings had been reported in suburbs of the territory and other states, but the abduction of Aisha Ardo, has got people worried about their safety. Investigations by Daily Trust revealed that 34 people were kidnapped in various places in Abuja from January to September 2019. September has recorded five reported cases, but only two were confirmed by police authorities.

The police confirmed the kidnap and release of the Baze University’s lecturer, Abubakar Alkali and that of Aisha Umar Ardo. Those of Mrs Hannah Azubuike who was widely reported to have been kidnapped near Habiba Plaza in Maitama and two teenagers who were kidnapped while returning from Islamiyya in Wuse zone 6 were not confirmed. June and July also recorded five kidnappings; April, four and March, three, all in Abuja.

Isma’il Maishanu, a resident, said the city is no longer safe. “It’s very sad news to hear about people that were kidnapped here in Abuja especially in the metropolitan areas. I find it hard to wrap my head around what is really going on. It has become like a trend now because I heard six people were kidnapped as of Saturday here in Abuja. “Abuja is not safe, we are all not safe. Everyone needs to be more careful and be on the alert at all times,” he said. Another resident, Hafsah Lawal, said nowhere is now safe in Nigeria if kidnappings could happen right in the nation’s capital.

“I think these people have grown wings. They are not even scared of the government again. And I feel like it has become a business for them because they made the father of Aisha pay $15,000 in bitcoins; it’s really getting out of hand,” she said. For Maryam Gambo, residents have to be more circumspect about their security as it now appears there was no safe haven in the city. Mahmud Shehu, on his part, said: “I imposed curfew on myself , around 6pm, I ensure I’m home.”

The FCT Police Command, however, said the territory was not under siege as being inainuated. A statement by the command spokesman, DSP Anjuguri Manzah, also said there were no rampant cases of kidnapping in the city. “The command wishes to reassure the public that the Federal Capital Territory is safe and the police has reinvigorated its crime fighting strategy to ensure the protection of lives and property in the FCT,” the statement said.

According to him, the speculations on social media about an upsurge in the crime were false and that the command wishes to assure the public that efforts were being intensified to arrest the suspects behind the crimes. Security expert advises on way forward A retired Commissioner of Police, Lawrence Alobi, told Daily Trust that that the FCT needed increased police patrols around the city as police presence is a preventive measure in crime-fighting.

However, he decried that the police did not have enough manpower and vehicles to properly police the city. He said: “When I was FCT police commissioner, I introduced the use of mounted troops in areas like Maitama and Asokoro which assisted in crime prevention.” He said people should install close circuit television cameras in their business environments to checkmate crime. He said this would help in preventing, detecting and the prosecution of crime in cities. Alobi also called on President Muhammadu Buhari to assent to the Police Trust Fund Bill which was passed by the eighth National Assembly.

He said this would address the funding challenges of the police, and also solve the manpower challenges of the police. Abuja one of the safest capital cities in the world – IGP Meanwhile, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, while reacting to the anxiety the widely circulated social media message that Abuja was under siege has created in the city, yesterday said the territory was safe, secure and not under any form of siege.

Police spokesman Frank Mba, in a statement, said: “This assertion comes against the backdrop of recent speculations in some sections of the media, particularly the social media, of an upsurge in crime rate within and around the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja. “While observing that, like other climes across the world, the country has its security challenges, the IGP, however, notes that a comprehensive analysis of crime statistics on major cities across the world would reveal that Abuja has one of the lowest crime rates and remains indisputably one of the safest capital cities in the world. “The IGP further observes that the Federal Capital Territory Police Command has a robust anti-crime architecture which is continually rejigged to effectively tackle prevailing and emerging crimes.”

“He, however, enjoins all law-abiding citizens and visitors alike to go about their lawful businesses without any fear or apprehension.”

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/i-paid-15000-to-secure-my-daughters-release-ardo.html

1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by eTECTIV: 7:26am On Sep 17, 2019
Since kidnapping is now a thriving business and going unabated dis ones have gone digital... These ones are even hiding in plain sight.. Chances are dat dey know d gal and her family and it's possible d gal may know dem even...

42 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 17, 2019
The children of the poor you denied of free education and good life amenities will never let your children rest, Why not declare free education from Nursery to tertiary institutions with easy admission process, At least the world will know the government is ready too help from their side, After all the amount Nigeria government lost monthly is more than what the education sector contribute the country wallet in 5 years.

73 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Nobody: 7:36am On Sep 17, 2019
Police paid Ransome to release DPO from kidnappers.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GOFRONT(m): 7:43am On Sep 17, 2019
How does a bitcoin look like!!

1 Like

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 7:43am On Sep 17, 2019
Government should make it illegal for cryptocurrency to be used in any form in Nigeria.

Should it be found on your person it should be immediate jailing.

I know sole slowpokes would come here to talk nonsense.

Nigeria is not a technological/advanced society and even many advanced countries are yet to accept it.

In addition, criminal actions are rife across the country. Unlike any other nation.

In fact, the youth embrace it with impunity and bravado.

We must outlaw cryptocurrency.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 7:44am On Sep 17, 2019
GOFRONT:
How does a bitcoin look like!!

It is virtual.

It has no form.

It is simply digital.

54 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by StrikeBack(m): 7:48am On Sep 17, 2019
embarassed
Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by eTECTIV: 7:50am On Sep 17, 2019
GavelSlam:
Government should make it illegal for cryptocurrency to be used in any form in Nigeria.

Nigeria is not a technological/advanced society and even many advanced countries are yet to accept it.

In addition, criminal actions are rife across the country. Unlike any other nation.

Is cryptocurrency d problem here? U completely ignored d elephant in d room only to rant about something else

170 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Offpoint: 7:51am On Sep 17, 2019
Lol, it's gut balls.

Reminds me of Nicolas cage 2012 movie "Stolen"

2 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by harkandey(m): 7:52am On Sep 17, 2019
grin criminals are taking things to technological ways,
Nigerian is getting advance everyday

7 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Precious101c: 8:13am On Sep 17, 2019
Mr man what are talking about.
Are you from the past?
How can u talk such about crptocurrency. It is generally accepted and u should learn how it works . Dont criticize what u Dont understand.
GavelSlam:

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 17, 2019
GavelSlam:

Now Crypto is the problem. The only slow poke here is you. Grow up, don't just grow old

107 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Kalashnikov102(m): 8:26am On Sep 17, 2019
Things dey shelle for we country

1 Like

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Mandyoluchi(m): 8:31am On Sep 17, 2019
Our national cake
Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by NGRsenate: 8:31am On Sep 17, 2019
Hmm

They must trace the kidnappers o

Abi their counterparts claimed the traced bitcoin here: https://www.nairaland.com/5394095/efcc-arrests-female-suspect-fbi

Now is the time to trace it again. Let me see if it’s all talk that happens in this country.

A whole police is paying ransom after it’s personnel is kidnapped.

Law makers are begging kidnappers to release their relatives.

The kidnappers are re-kidnapping the people who came to pay ransom.

The kidnappers should just stick to lawmakers, police officers and leave ordinary citizens alone. At least that way, the law makers and police will be forced to wake up.

Let’s not even talk of the so called president...

6 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 8:58am On Sep 17, 2019
I knew some kids without knowledge of anything would be the first to respond.

It is not all technology that Africans are ready for.

We aren't ready for guns, we aren't ready for social media and I insist we aren't ready for cryptocurrency.

The development of crypto can be traced to the dark web and the silk road - a network for the purchase of illegal/illicit materials - drugs, steroids, guns and weapons of kind.

Like placing Victorian era individuals in the presence of a nuclear reactor, all they'll do with it is kill themselves.
Africans aren't ready for some new advancements.

We've done it with social media and we'll see an upswing in kidnappings with payment through cryptocurrency in the next couple of weeks.

Strap on your seatbelts.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 17, 2019
Dr Ardo good thing you got your daughter, I would reserve my other comments till you get over the trauma ....someone cannot have a daughter in peace again in Nigeria enh Oga Buhari what kind of security network do we now have that people are kidnapping everyday.

2 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by NGRsenate: 9:20am On Sep 17, 2019
GavelSlam:
I knew some kids without knowledge of anything would be the first to respond.

It is not all technology that Africans are ready for.

We aren't ready for guns, we aren't ready for social media and I insist we aren't ready for cryptocurrency.

The development of crypto can be traced to the dark web and the silk road - a network for the purchase of illegal/illicit materials - drugs, steroids, guns and weapons of kind.

Like placing Victorian era individuals in the presence of a nuclear reactor, all they'll do with it is kill themselves.
Africans aren't ready for some new advancements.

We've done it with social media and we'll see an upswing in kidnappings with payment through cryptocurrency in the next couple of weeks.

Strap on your seatbelts.

You’re either a northerner or a muslim.

If you are not ready for technology, then don’t use it. Don’t come here and be talking trash.

58 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 9:28am On Sep 17, 2019
NGRsenate:

You’re either a northerner or a muslim.

If you are not ready for technology, then don’t use it. Don’t come here and be talking trash.

I'm an itsekiri man with advanced degrees in the physical sciences.

Live more than 200 days in a year in Europe and the States.

What do you know?

Where have you been?

What is the standard of your education?

And lastly, of what benefit is cryptocurrency to the local Nigerian economy?

11 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by NGRsenate: 9:44am On Sep 17, 2019
GavelSlam:

I'm an itsekiri man with advanced degrees in the physical sciences.

Live more than 200 days in a year in Europe and the States.

What do you know?

Where have you been?

What is the standard of your education?

And lastly, of what benefit is cryptocurrency to the local Nigerian economy?

Then you’re naturally an unintelligent man.

You travel yearly to Europe, you have two degrees; supposedly in the sciences and you still cannot comprehend the simple economics of the internet.

Like I said, you’re either naturally unintelligent or you have chosen to remain a mediocre degree holder.

82 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 9:45am On Sep 17, 2019
NGRsenate:

Then you’re naturally an unintelligent man.

You travel yearly to Europe, you have two degrees; supposedly in the sciences and you still cannot comprehend the simple economics of the internet.

Like I said, you’re either naturally unintelligent or you have chosen to remain a mediocre degree holder.

I asked a simple question so no need for veiled insults or cryptic open-ended answers.

Of what use is cryptocurrency to the local economy?

Second question:

Is it absolutely necessary and for whom?

Watch how he would be prevaricating.

Following the crowd doesn't make you intelligent. It only makes you a sheep.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by NGRsenate: 9:55am On Sep 17, 2019
GavelSlam:

I asked a simple question no need for veiled insults or cryptic open-ended answers.

Of what use is cryptocurrency to the local economy?

Second question:

Is it absolutely necessary and for whom?

Watch how he would be prevaricating.

Following the crowd doesn't make you intelligent. It only makes you a sheep.

I mentioned “simple economics of the internet”

But your big ego and need to blow big English will not let you see it and look it up.

Those who know how they benefit from cryptocurrency are living their lives. If you don’t know how exploiting a foreign economy can benefit one’s local economy then I don’t know what else to tell you.

If you choose not to crack open google and enlighten yourself, don’t expect to do it for you.

Have you taken an IQ test before?

54 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by GavelSlam: 9:57am On Sep 17, 2019
NGRsenate:

I mentioned “simple economics of the internet”

But your big ego and need to blow big English will not let you see it and look it up.

Those who know how they benefit from cryptocurrency are living their lives. If you don’t know how exploiting a foreign economy can benefit one’s local economy then I don’t know what else to tell you.

If you choose not to crack open google and enlighten yourself, don’t expect to do it for you.

Have you taken an IQ test before?

Without looking it up describe IQ.

1 Like

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by Crazeworld(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2019
Mehn it would be hard to track those fellow

Meanwhile, I'm available for your online documents and Print-out Slips. Check my signature

2 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by NotNairalandi(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2019
Problem everywhere!!! God save us

1 Like

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by VajanahDischaj(f): 11:43am On Sep 17, 2019
truly the 3rd world war has commenced...cyber wars! how Nigeria wan take fight this one na. i pray the Robin Hoods go for those our leaders shanand not the common men dem.

4 Likes

Re: Umar Ardo: I Paid $15,000 In Bitcoin To My Daughter’s Kidnappers by nblock: 11:44am On Sep 17, 2019
Na wa ooh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sofiat: We Got Money Ritual Guidelines From Facebook – Ogun Teenage Boys / Graphic Pics: Assassins Murder Doctor In Owo & Set His Body Ablaze / I Killed My Husband With N40 Rat Poison – 15-year-old Girl Confesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.