Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,028 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:58 PM

Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians (9956 Views)

Meet The Nigerian Professor Who Discovered And Fought Against Iodine Deficiency / Man Dies After Consuming 1000mg Of Tramadol In Benue State / Woman Dies After Consuming Herbal Drugs She Bought To Lighten Her Skin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by akelicious(m): 10:40am On Sep 17, 2019
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has advised Nigerians to stop the consumption of non iodine salt, saying “it is dangerous to human health.”

Dr Abubakar Jimoh, the Director of Public Affairs of the agency gave the advice in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja on Tuesday.

The director spoke while responding to the rumour that people in the rural communities were still consuming the local salt, which was not processed.

He said that the consumption of such local salt could lead to goiter and other dangerous diseases to human health and called on Nigerians to do away with the product.

According to the director, there are four areas in Nigeria where traditional salt is still being traded, particularly in Nasarawa state.

“NAFDAC is making effort to stop the trading of this salt in these states but some of them have refused.
“With the creation of NAFDAC in 1993, that was the first time and there was still major work to be done on salt consumption.

“We have organised sensitisation workshop on universal salt iodinsation.

“We have been educating Nigerians that we should not be consuming this local salt because it is not iodine.

“We began a programme in collaboration with the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Funds (UNICEF), Micro Nutrient Initiative, Global Alliance and other development partners on the issue.

“We flag-off a campaign against that and it was held in Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, in 2004 under late Professor Dora Akunyili as the Director General of the agency.

According to Jimoh, based on the work NAFDAC did then, Nigeria was declared universal salt iodinsation compliance in Turkey and also won numerous awards in that regards.

“Nasarawa is one of the identified four major endemic areas, they have insisted that it is their traditional source of making livelihood, it is commerce for them.
“They have told NAFDAC as at that time that if they must leave the trade, what they will be trading on must be provided for them,” the director disclosed.

He, however, called on those who are still trading amd consuming non iodine salt in Nasarawa to stop it, adding that such act was capable bringing setback to the country.

https://punchng.com/avoid-consuming-non-iodised-salt-nafdac-tells-nigerians/amp/

Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by buygala(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2019
Ok smiley

Next time i visit Madam Transformer's canteen, I will surely ask for iodized salt smiley

If they don't have, I will insist they go to a chemist and buy for me that blue iodine they use to clean wounds so that I can sprinkle it on my food...
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by SIMEONMPEE(m): 11:34am On Sep 17, 2019
Can we have list of the ones to be eating

3 Likes

Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Johnkennie(m): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
I hear, where is the one you recognise for us?

i will make heaven someday.
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by TOTO4CASH5(f): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Dozie32(m): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
Noted, but since I applied for this nafdac matters, I never see date nor venue for interview .
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Seventy7kings: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
shocked
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by buygala(m): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
[quote He, however, called on those who are still trading amd consuming non iodine salt in Nasarawa to stop it, adding that such act was capable bringing setback to the country./quote] grin

Cou
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 17, 2019
please help me

any microsoft versionnis fine for me ... any year maybe 2007, 2013, 2014 or 2016 is very fine

dami,ojo@yahoo.com
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by lyriclekidd(m): 11:36am On Sep 17, 2019
Okay I've heard you..
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by eight8clien(m): 11:36am On Sep 17, 2019
this is crucial information
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Sonnobax15(m): 11:37am On Sep 17, 2019
Many Nigerians i know won't listen...
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by famzynet: 11:37am On Sep 17, 2019
NAFDAC died after Dora Akunyili left NAFDAC. They are just trying to become relevant. Is that all you people have to say?

4 Likes

Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by sylvestersamuel(m): 11:38am On Sep 17, 2019
Na how me want take know d salt wey get iodine na....nafdac abeg pack one, aide salt na salt.
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by buygala(m): 11:38am On Sep 17, 2019
Ok....
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Crazeworld(m): 11:39am On Sep 17, 2019
Ok but how do we know iodized salt?

Meanwhile, I'm available for your online documents and Print-out Slips. Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Johnkennie(m): 11:39am On Sep 17, 2019
TOTO4CASH5:
Okay, we don hear

talk for yourself, not we. u hear?
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2019
Hmm, Ebonyi state and some parts of Enugu state still use local salt which they get from salt stream. One reason why Ebonyi state is known as the salt of the nation is cos of the presence of natural salt in the state and some natives still use it in cooking, although a lot of them have been enlightened on the benefits of consuming iodized salt.

1 Like

Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by MorataFC: 11:40am On Sep 17, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Prideofthelion: 11:56am On Sep 17, 2019
No clear cut measures on how to even identify the so called non iodized salt
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by wakes: 12:01pm On Sep 17, 2019
ok
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by jef009: 12:03pm On Sep 17, 2019
Great job! Thanks for sharing.I regularly visit your site and find a lot of interesting information. More at Login into USF Canvas
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Babalegba(m): 12:10pm On Sep 17, 2019
People can still consume local salt and use iodine supplements.Problem solved and jobs saved
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by royalair(m): 12:19pm On Sep 17, 2019
Poshriel:
please help me

any microsoft versionnis fine for me ... any year maybe 2007, 2013, 2014 or 2016 is very fine

dami,ojo@yahoo.com
you need the soft ware?
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by sonofElElyon: 12:28pm On Sep 17, 2019
Non-iodised / non-iodized

akelicious:
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has advised Nigerians to stop the consumption of non iodine salt, saying “it is dangerous to human health.”

Dr Abubakar Jimoh, the Director of Public Affairs of the agency gave the advice in an interview with Nigeria News Agency in Abuja on Tuesday.

The director spoke while responding to the rumour that people in the rural communities were still consuming the local salt, which was not processed.

He said that the consumption of such local salt could lead to goiter and other dangerous diseases to human health and called on Nigerians to do away with the product.

According to the director, there are four areas in Nigeria where traditional salt is still being traded, particularly in Nasarawa state.

“NAFDAC is making effort to stop the trading of this salt in these states but some of them have refused.
“With the creation of NAFDAC in 1993, that was the first time and there was still major work to be done on salt consumption.

“We have organised sensitisation workshop on universal salt iodinsation.

“We have been educating Nigerians that we should not be consuming this local salt because it is not iodine.

“We began a programme in collaboration with the United Nations International Children’s Emergency Funds (UNICEF), Micro Nutrient Initiative, Global Alliance and other development partners on the issue.

“We flag-off a campaign against that and it was held in Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, in 2004 under late Professor Dora Akunyili as the Director General of the agency.

According to Jimoh, based on the work NAFDAC did then, Nigeria was declared universal salt iodinsation compliance in Turkey and also won numerous awards in that regards.

“Nasarawa is one of the identified four major endemic areas, they have insisted that it is their traditional source of making livelihood, it is commerce for them.
“They have told NAFDAC as at that time that if they must leave the trade, what they will be trading on must be provided for them,” the director disclosed.

He, however, called on those who are still trading amd consuming non iodine salt in Nasarawa to stop it, adding that such act was capable bringing setback to the country.

https://punchng.com/avoid-consuming-non-iodised-salt-nafdac-tells-nigerians/amp/
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by nwamabo247(m): 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2019
Noted pls i need ur help dear people
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by Angelfrost(m): 1:03pm On Sep 17, 2019
Non-iodized salts still exist??!... Wetin we no go hear for this country... shocked
Re: Stop Consuming Non Iodine Salt, NAFDAC Urges Nigerians by ifyain: 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2019
The best salt is the so called local salt, sea salt.Please let us stop condemning what our ancestors ate and lived a long life. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/sea-salt/faq-20058512

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Recent Heat An Effect Of Global Warming? / Please Help Safe My Sister / Presidency Orders Recalls Of 10 Suspended Staff Of Psychiatric Hospital In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.