Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? (17122 Views)

Poll: Who do you want the NFA to employ of these 2 coaches?

STEPHEN OKECHUKWU KESHI: 14% (17 votes)
SAMSON YEBOWEI SIASIA: 85% (98 votes)
This poll has ended

Full List Of 30 Players Invited To Camp By Samson Siasia For Rio Olympics / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / Osaze Odemwingie Lashes Out At Keshi And NFF Over AFCON 2013 Exclusion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 6:28pm On Oct 30, 2010
With facts and thorough evaluation of the 2 coaches, without sentiments or any bandwagon attitude, who do you prefer between STEPHEN OKECHUKWU KESHI and SAMSON YEBOWEI SIASIA for the SUPER EAGLE's job?

Please comment wisely.

Thank you.

Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 6:35pm On Oct 30, 2010
Coaching career
Stephen Okechukwu Keshi (born January 31, 1962 in Lagos) is a former football defender from Nigeria.

After a playing career mostly with Belgian clubs, Keshi went to the United States to be educated in coaching.

In 1996 he was joined by Augustine Eguavoen, who once coached the Nigerian national team. They played together in California as the backbone of the defense for the short-lived Sacramento Scorpions. Keshi has been a part of the coaching staff for the Nigerian national team, most notably as head coach for the Junior Eagles at the 2004 Olympic soccer tournament.

Between 2004 and 2006 Keshi coached the Togo national football team, unexpectedly bringing them to their first World Cup tournament, Germany 2006. Having secured Togo's unlikely qualification, he was promptly replaced by German coach Otto Pfister prior to the World Cup finals, after Togo showed a dismal performance and failed to advance to the tournament stage in 2006 African Cup of Nations in Egypt.

However, Pfister did not last beyond a controversial World Cup campaign that nearly resulted in a player's strike over pay and Togo remained without a manager until February 2007 when they re-engaged Keshi in time for a friendly against Cameroon.
He worked as manager of the Mali national football team, after being appointed in April 2008 on a two-year deal.[1]
Stephen Keshi has been sacked as coach of Mali, the Malian Football Federation has announced.

The decision follows Mali's early exit in the group stages of this year's Africa Cup of Nations. [1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Keshi#Coaching_career

Coaching career
SAMSON YEBOWEI SIASIA Samson Siasia (born August 14, 1967 in Lagos) is a former football striker from Nigeria.

In 2005, Samson Siasia coached the under 20 team (Flying Eagles), taking them to the finals of both the 2005 Under-20 World Cup and the U-20 African Youth Championship. He won the African Youth Championship and advanced all the way to the world final - before losing to Argentina 2-1. He also assisted Augustine Eguavoen in coaching the national team.

Samson Siasia was appointed national U-23 coach on January 2007. In 2008, he coached the Nigerian Under-23 Olympic squad to the final against Argentina. In a superbly played series of matches, Nigeria's team earned the Olympic Silver Medals. Earlier in 2008, the U-23 team won the inaugural Intercontinental Cup in Malaysia. This fine team was composed entirely of domestic Nigerian players and won the Cup against many teams headed for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. In addition to his position as head coach of the Under 23 Olympic Eagles, he developed a youth academy in the capital city Abuja, called SiaOne Soccer Academy.
On March 17, 2009, he was reappointed as the head coach of the under-20 team after the finished a disappointing 3rd in the 2009 African Youth Championship. He received a six-month contract to coach Heartland F.C. in July 2010.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samson_Siasia#Coaching_career

Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by Yorisb: 6:43pm On Oct 30, 2010
SiaOne me thinks undecided
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by ow11(m): 6:45pm On Oct 30, 2010
Keshi for the job . . . Rumour has it that the best coaches in the world are usually ex-defenders.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 6:48pm On Oct 30, 2010
I see both as good coaches, but won't pick now.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by Yorisb: 6:48pm On Oct 30, 2010
ow11:

Keshi for the job . . . Rumour has it that the best coaches in the world are usually ex-defenders.

Not FACTS. . . undecided
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by ow11(m): 6:56pm On Oct 30, 2010
Yorisb:

Not FACTS. . . undecided

Naa, it can't be fact. It is an urban myth I heard on skysports because a lot of EPL managers are ex-defenders meanwhile the greatest managers (Ferguson, Michel) were ex-strikers.

However, Keshi edges this one on experience in my opinion.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 7:01pm On Oct 30, 2010
Based on experience in the world front (senior), i give this to Keshi.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by zenus(m): 8:53pm On Oct 30, 2010
I prefer both for the Job.
Both who will be de head.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 8:59pm On Oct 30, 2010
^^^^

Both can't work together because Siasia is not ready to work under any one nor is Keshi ready to become a second Fidel to Siasia.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by jerryuzo(m): 10:00pm On Oct 30, 2010
SIASIA IS QUALIFLY TO TAKE UP THE POST,HIS RECORDS ARE THERE TO ANSWER FOR HIM.BESIDES HIS BOYS NOW PLY THE WAY IN SUPER EAGLE.NOBOBY SHOULD DISPROVE THIS.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by Osama10(m): 11:50pm On Oct 30, 2010
Samson Siasia.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by semid4lyfe(m): 11:59pm On Oct 30, 2010
Keshi has qualified Togo for the World cup. He has also coached Togo & Mali at the AFCON and fumbled on both ocassions.

Siasia on the other hand has U-21 & Olympic silver medals from Holland 2005 & Beijing 2008 respectively although he didn't do well in Egypt 2009 and with Heartland.

For me, it boils down to who is the better manager of players (Siasia is & Keshi is a poor manager of players IMO. . .I still remember his debacle with Adebayo and some players of the Malian team), able to instill discipline, scout, discover & introduce new players and plays the kind of football I wanna see.

Siasia edges keshi on all these IMO. . .so I'm for Siasia. I also think Siasia is tactically better than Keshi. I've seen Keshi play games with both Mali & Togo and I haven't been "wowed" by his formation and tactics. . .He's basically a coach who does everything by the book IMO. I also have this nagging feeling Keshi is an "egunje" and settlement coach.

Siasia on the other hand is not afraid to tinker with a team & spring surprises in his selection & formation and he adapt to situations/adapt players to play different roles better e.g Beijing 2008 Quarter-Finals against Cotedevoire in which he played Obinna Nsofor in the hole behind the two strikers, Osaze & Ogbuke AND played Ambrose Efe @ right back.

Also, Siasia is able to infuse new ideas into a team. For example, I hadn't seen a Nigerian team play a "planned" freekick until Holland 2005. Normally it's a shot @ goal or a player tries to bend it over the wall but there were a few occasions in Holland in which the team played "thought-out" freekicks. 

NFF had better appoint SiaONE if dem nor want my trouble o grin
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by dominique(f): 11:25am On Oct 31, 2010
Siasia anytime anyday. Truth is we need a new squad and i don't see keshi injecting youthful and talented players into the squad like siasia would. Like semid said, keshi strikes one as an 'egunje' coach.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 1:30pm On Oct 31, 2010
I still stick with Keshi anytime anyday because of the fact that he was able to handle the Togolese national team through out the qualifiers, the reason they didn't do well at the nations cup was because of the FA interference, alot of people won't know this, but i listened to Keshi and that was what he said, Adebayor's godfathers in the FA frustrated Keshi and they ended up making the players revolt against him, no coach can perform well under such circumstance, even mourinho ran away from Chelsea when the management started interference in the running of Chelsea.

Why i wouldn't prefer Siasia to Keshi is because Siasia's weaknesses showed during the U-20 tournament in Egypt between Nigeria vs Germany, it also showed with the results he got with Heartland, in all the matches he took with heartland (i think close to 10), he didn't win up to 3 and his selection was bad too.

All the same, since we need a new team, any of them can handle the SE only [b]IF [/b]they are given the free hand to work, i don't want a 2 years deal, i want at least 5 years deal.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by seunlayi(m): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2010
No doubt keshi is better than siasia His pool of experience is much even in his playing days, his presence gives comfort to soccer lovers and his coaching career speak for him. He can be compared with many world class coach that was why some countries that would have gone for white coaches went for him. he was there to make his input. I belive if given a conducive condition he will definately deliver. I'm not saying siasia is not good. He is also good he still has to improve, going by his input at heartland. Although now that everybody want him now. I belive he can still wait and allow us to see what the big boss can offer us. Siasia can still learn one or two things from him before his own time will come. (probably the whole mis-, whatever in the nff would have gone and he will be in a better position to give us his guddies.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by semid4lyfe(m): 2:32pm On Oct 31, 2010
@ Honeric
Remember there are always 2 sides to a story. Na wetin Keshi talk be that o. . .Adebayo's version is that  Keshi approached him to be his agent/manager and it was when he turned him down that all his "wahala" with Keshi started. Who we go come believe now?

Anyway, I have heard both Keshi and Siasia talk about game/matches and Siasia comes across as being more intelligent and knowledgeable about modern tactics and formations to me.  

Lets leave formation and all the likes now. Siasia is also better suited to work in our "football" environment given the disorganisation that exists in our FA. Remember all he went thru' in prepation for AYC 2005 & Holland 2005? How the NFF abandoned the team and how he rallied around and was able to raise funds from the Bayelsa State Government and eventually camp the team? I don't think Keshi has a high threshold for the hardship and frustration that comes with the job. . .none payment of salaries on time, non release of funds, non/delayed approval of programmes etc etc if dem nor pay am for one month, im nor go let us hear word again grin

Moreover, Siasia is more in touch with the domestic league and knows the home-based players better with his stint with Heartland.

Lastly, Siasia has the overwhelming support & goodwill of Nigerians.

This thread should make the homepage by the way.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 3:30pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^^

Thread is on homepage i think

why alot would want to go with siasia is because he's more known on the local scene and by Nigerians, but Keshi is more known on the international scene (international media) with the senior teams.

Like you said, we have 2 sides to the story but Adebayor's own sounds funny because right before Keshi became their coach, he was already in football big time and has his manager, so why would Keshi want to be his manager again when he already has one? Keshi did not even blame Adebayor for his dismissal, rather he blamed the fa which in glaring light perpetuated the fall of Keshi with the Togolese team, ask yourself, would keshi want to bench his best player just because he refused to make him his manager knowing that his coaching career is also at risk here if something goes wrong? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by montelik(m): 3:52pm On Oct 31, 2010
Looking at their resumes Keshi is well ahead of Siasia. D guy has managed at senior level and delivered results. Siasia has a resume that does not go beyond age grade level internationally. Even his domestic club profile isn't particularly thick. But despite this, if it comes down to these 2 then there is no real choice. It only makes sense to hire Siasia.

Lets face facts. Most super eagles fans believe that Siasia is d only capable indigenous coach we have. If Keshi is given the job he will not have the goodwill of the fans or the media. The very first moment he even stumbles, the usual suspects will start calling for his head and putting ridiculous pressure and constraints on his ability to do his job. The time that should be afforded him to build a new team while delivering good performances and results will not be given to him. The press will assault him with all sort of negative stories and the fans who never wanted him in the first place will hound him out of the job. These are pressures that I don't think Siasia will face as he has earned a tremendous amount of goodwill from the public. Most fans will show more patience and understanding that is required, with a Siasia in charge. When Amodu said our home based weren't ready to brought straight into d national setup, d press and fans almost ate him alive. But when Siasia said d exact same thing early during his negotiations with d NFF, the same people that crucified Amodu, agreed with Siasia. Better we give Siasia d job and then see how he does.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by manuch(m): 4:46pm On Oct 31, 2010
i say Sia sia yes i know keshi has more experience but i think sia sia is more creible and deserves it. he has coached at the Junior level so it is only right he takes that step up.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by honeric01(m): 5:56pm On Oct 31, 2010
montelik:

Looking at their resumes Keshi is well ahead of Siasia. D guy has managed at senior level and delivered results. Siasia has a resume that does not go beyond age grade level internationally. Even his domestic club profile isn't particularly thick. But despite this, if it comes down to these 2 then there is no real choice. It only makes sense to hire Siasia.

Lets face facts. Most super eagles fans believe that Siasia is d only capable indigenous coach we have. [b]If Keshi is given the job he will not have the goodwill of the fans or the media. The very first moment he even stumbles, the usual suspects will start calling for his head and putting ridiculous pressure and constraints on his ability to do his job. The time that should be afforded him to build a new team while delivering good performances and results will not be given to him. The press will assault him with all sort of negative stories and the fans who never wanted him in the first place will hound him out of the job. [/b]These are pressures that I don't think Siasia will face as he has earned a tremendous amount of goodwill from the public. Most fans will show more patience and understanding that is required, with a Siasia in charge. When Amodu said our home based weren't ready to brought straight into d national setup, d press and fans almost ate him alive. But when Siasia said d exact same thing early during his negotiations with d NFF, the same people that crucified Amodu, agreed with Siasia. Better we give Siasia d job and then see how he does.

Thank you for these points, most Nigerians are sentimental football followers, they let sentiments becloud their minds instead of looking at the credentials, they rather look at the face/person, whoever they don't like even if he/she is delivering, they tend to pull him down, till today, Amodu remains the most successful local coach to handle the national team, but what did the fans do? they kept looking for loopholes just to pull him down because they don't like his ego and arrogance.

Anyways, whoever gets the job, it's okay by me as long as he builds us a team that won't disappoint those who truly know football.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by seunlayi(m): 6:11pm On Oct 31, 2010
siasia here, siasia there, siasia allover. Hmm m m, omo nigeria.
Hossanah today, crucify him tomorrow.
Remember what you did to Bertis Voght and Largerbach before and after thier appointment
Siasia should ask God to lead him. He should not be carried away by the noise. grin
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by seunlayi(m): 6:34pm On Oct 31, 2010
siasia here, siasia there, siasia allover. Hmm m m, omo nigeria.
Hossanah today, crucify him tomorrow.
Remember what you did to Bertis Voght and Largerbach before and after thier appointment
Siasia should ask God to lead him. He should not be carried away by the noise. He is not d best, where is amodu that qualifers us despite of been arrogant for 2 world cup finals. No doubt, keshi is better than him for now, but if siasia is given d job, he should learn how to manage big p
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by becomrich4: 2:11am On Nov 01, 2010
I think I would go with siasia. Even I know Keshi has more experience than siasia. But we need someone who would make a mistake and 4 years to the next world cup. Keshi may be a very experience coach.

Siasia can do it. I have confident in siasia You need to look at his success ratio over fail rate. It is higher than keshia. He has a better chance of winning than keshi.

Maths wise siasia is a better coach , but experience wise keshi.

If I was with the meeting to pick. it would hard to pick. But but just 1% . I would say give the job to siasia.  There is nothing that says Keshi cant not be technical adviser. While siasia is coach. Onigbede is getting Old.  We need to build a new team of technical people who are not coach. keshi could even get in into Fifa, he has the stats. like Onigbede has. We should try to get someone into Fifa.

The coach should be siasia.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by kabukabu50(m): 2:19am On Nov 01, 2010
Keshi and Siasia have failed for the last 10 yrs in coaching, period grin grin grin grin grin.You mean to tell me out of thousands of local coaches in nigeria,the best you can come up with is two washed up failures,seriously, have any of you ever considered thinking outside the box?, locally angry angry angry
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by becomrich4: 2:24am On Nov 01, 2010
what talk is that. Siasia success rate is about 75%, it is the highest of any nigerian coach has been for a very long time.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by silami(m): 3:43am On Nov 01, 2010
s=i=s=ia
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by kcjazz(m): 3:56am On Nov 01, 2010
To answer the question we have to ask what direction do we need our football to go?

Right now we have no pattern of play. The only semblance of pattern in recent times is SiaOne's team.
Siasia does well with long term planning.
He understands his strengths and limitations hence employs Salika for help, that to me is a hallmark of leadership and success
A bulk of the present team passed through Siasia
By virtue of his time with heartland, he brings knowledge of the local league

Only disadvantage is he loves the media, it is the only way he solves issues be it lack of funds or NFFs stupidity

Experience is overrated, I will go with Siasia
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by Msgrt: 4:06am On Nov 01, 2010
I think siasia is more experienced
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by OAM4J: 4:14am On Nov 01, 2010
Siasia all the way.
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by OAM4J: 5:14am On Nov 01, 2010

Former secretary general of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Ambassador Fanny Amun, has expressed optimism that either of Stephen Keshi or Samson Siasia can handle the Super Eagles effectively depending on the targets set for them by the NFF.

Speaking with journalists in Abuja last Thursday, Amun said he could not pick one of them ahead of the other because both are good coaches, who are capable of managing the Super Eagles. He added that the NFF should pick one of them based on what the football house wants to achieve.

"The truth is that Stephen Keshi and Samson Siasia are two different individuals with different styles of doing things. One is a young lad, who is very enterprising with the willingness to take the high responsibility of being the head coach of the Nigerian senior national team. He has contributed much to the development of football in the country, that is Siasia.

"The other is a highly experienced man and very superior. He is well exposed and better matured for the job. I mean Keshi. “The issue I want to state very clearly is that the Super Eagles does not need a coach after all, what the team needs now is somebody who can coordinate and manage the excessive talent of individual footballers Nigeria has. So, between Keshi and Siasia, one is matured enough for the job, while the other is highly willing to do the job.

“It boils down to what the NFA wants. If you pick the younger person, he should not be rushed to perform and produce immediate results. He should rather be given a long-term programme. But where you choose the older person, he should do the job and get immediate results. That is my take on choosing between Keshi and Siasia whom to coach the Super Eagles," stated the coach, who won FIFA Under-17 World Cup with Golden Eaglets in 1993.

Meanwhile, ahead of the November 4 date set aside for interviewing the two short-listed coaches for the Eagles' job, former captain of the Super Eagles, Stephen Keshi insists that he is the best man for the job.
Speaking with Daily Sunsports from his base in the United States of America, Keshi expressed joy at being considered for the job of managing the Super Eagles and assured that he has all it takes to deliver the good and lead the national team to regain its lost glory.

“I am glad that the NFF considered me worthy for the job of handling the Super Eagles. I feel honoured and I will no doubt give my best at the interview to ensure that I grab the job. “I am well equipped to handle the Eagles because I know what it takes to manage talents that we have in the country. Having done well with the national teams of Togo and Mali under very difficult conditions, and having assisted Coach Shaibu Amodu and Bonfere Jo in the Super Eagles in the past, I think I am very, very qualified to handle the team if I am given the opportunity. At that level, you don't coach but manage stars,” he stated.

According to Keshi, talents abound in Nigeria, all that's required would be to harness them and turn them into big stars. He pointed out that the fantastic 1994 set of Eagles took Clemence Westerhof about five years to harness, and that the team was able to win the Nations Cup in 1994 and qualified the country for the World Cup the same year, was because the boys had enough time to blend well, even as they were committed and ready to die for the country.

He stated that having worked under some of the best coaches in the world both as a player and as coach, it had become ripe for him to impart his experience on young Nigerian players to enable them soar higher in their football career.

Asked if he would work with Samson Siasia in the Eagles, Keshi said that both of them played together in the national team and that it wouldn't be bad if they should work together again. But he doubted the possibility of Siasia agreeing to work with him as his assistant.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2010/nov/01/sportsbreak-01-11-2010-001.htm
Re: Who Is The Most Qualified Coach Between Stephen Keshi And Samson Siasia? by mbulela: 8:33am On Nov 01, 2010
two bad options.
but i will go for Siasia as the lesser of two evils.
I have heard Keshi talk several times and his tactical discussions do not inspire confidence at all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Babayaro Makes Fresh Case For Iheanacho’s Inclusion In Super Eagles / Kenneth Omeruo Stuns In This Pose, Prepares For Eagles Camp / Conte 'In Advanced Talks To Succeed Mourinho At Tottenham'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.