Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,137 members, 7,829,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:28 PM

Is There Racism In Canada?, By Tunde Omotoye - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is There Racism In Canada?, By Tunde Omotoye (477 Views)

To Those Still Saying That There Is No Racism In The UK / Whites Kneel Before Blacks To Beg For Forgiveness For Years Of Racism In Houston / Some Facts About Racism In Europe And The West - It Will Worsen! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is There Racism In Canada?, By Tunde Omotoye by shehuolayinka(m): 12:52pm On Sep 19, 2019
A personal experience on subtle racism in a Canadian School system.

This thread seeks to shed light on some of the misconception that Canada is a holy land with no iota of racial discrimination whatsoever. A land where you can just come in and start plucking millions of dollars from maple trees.

Sometimes last week a lady uploaded a video of herself seeking help due to racism. Many downplayed whatever she was going through asking her to give full context of how the whole scenario played out arguing that the Canada they know is quite welcoming.

Back when I was in school studying Human Resources Management, I was open minded & was positive that a large percentage of Canadians are friendly while majority of them do not discriminate. That is true but doesn’t rule out the fact that racism does exist.

I had worked for a couple of months before starting school. Also, I had made a number of friends prior to starting so all the experience cemented my ideology of a less discriminatory society.

Fast forward to when I started school. Class was diverse having different types of races, religions and people you could think of. I loved it. Also, I was vocal and active as I loved the inclusiveness with the opportunity to learn from diff people who had various backgrounds.

Recall that before I started studying HR, I had almost 2 years HR experience. This comes with several skills that I love, one of which is having adequate knowledge on Non-Verbal Communication. This is where the type of racism that exists in Canada comes to play.

The type of racism that exists is much more insidious and that is why it so hard to recognize at times. This is why people will debate the legitimacy of calls of racism by immigrants or international students.

So this lecturer in question did not for whatever reason known to him, readily relate or exhibit any form of affinity for international students. From my non-verbal skills I had also noticed that he wasn’t readily welcomed with me answering questions in class.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/09/19/is-there-racism-in-canada-by-tunde-omotoye/
Re: Is There Racism In Canada?, By Tunde Omotoye by salford: 6:58pm On Sep 19, 2019
of course. Aslong as people of différent races come together. Sometimes it's mild and sometimes it's in your face.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Finland Picks Youngest-ever Prime Minister / Iran Attack On United States (full Details) / Just In; Coronavirus: Staff Member In VP Mike Pence's Office Tests Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.