Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,951 members, 7,810,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? (4623 Views)

Let States Control Oil Resources, Rivers Tells FG / W'bank: Nigeria's Oil Resources May Last 41 Years / W'bank: Nigeria's Oil Resources May Last 41 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 12:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
Reasonable countries are transformed with d discovry of highly sourced and priced natural resources like oil,gold and diamond but nigeria reverse seem to be d case-retrogression.And d quetion is what happened to our oil generated revenues?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by olaolabiy: 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^

Have you asked fund managers in London and New York. And estate agents in Europe/North America.

Those Swiss banks.

And, contractors on Ajah/Lekki axis.

I am sure they are mch more clued-up on this subject and will be able to offer answers.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by excanny: 12:51pm On Oct 31, 2010
All gone with corruption
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Nobody: 12:56pm On Oct 31, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^

Have you asked fund managers in London and New York. And estate agents in Europe/North America.

Those Swiss banks.

I am sure they are mch more clued-up on this subject and will be able to offer answers.

seconded
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2010
I just don't see d need of going to d polls to elect d same crop of irresponsible leaders that ve continue to run down our country.For there to be a head way in nigeria,we must realize d phenomenon and d magic of accountability.Every penny counts.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by olaolabiy: 1:25pm On Oct 31, 2010
You also need to ask off-shore accounts managers in IBs.

Above all, the best answer to this question, I am sure, will be provided by Western universities.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 1:34pm On Oct 31, 2010
Does it mean nigeria lack credible auditors with all d CAs?When will we start seeing ourselves as people that can solve their own problems and put mathematics at work for real?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by invisible2(m): 2:35pm On Oct 31, 2010
redsun:

Does it mean nigeria lack credible auditors with all d CAs?When will we start seeing ourselves as people that can solve their own problems and put mathematics at work for real?
When last did you visit Nigeria?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 2:41pm On Oct 31, 2010
What has my visit to nigeria got to do with my question of systematic accoutability?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by MandingoII(m): 6:41pm On Oct 31, 2010
Nigeria do not have oil.

that is shell's oil.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by excanny: 9:34pm On Oct 31, 2010
^^^ then what da heck is shell doing in Nigeria?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by jason12345: 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2010
excanny:

^^^ then what da heck is shell doing in Nigeria?
don't mind him!!! angry
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Ikengawo: 9:54pm On Oct 31, 2010
clearly the people answering these questions are ignorant to the situation at hand in nigeria

nigeria ha158,259,000 million people and produces 2,169 barrels per day
saudi arabia has 27,136,977 ppl and produces 10,782 barrels per day

oil alone is not enough to support nigeria
add the fact that none of those 150 million people pay tax outside of select areas and cities and the fact that kleptocracy has been rampant in the past few years.

oil would have been good for building a foundation for industry, but it wasn't used that way, and won't be able to support a nation of 150million and growing.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by olaolabiy: 10:26pm On Oct 31, 2010
Ikengawo:

clearly the people answering these questions are ignorant to the situation at hand in nigeria

nigeria ha158,259,000 million people and produces 2,169 barrels per day
saudi arabia has 27,136,977 ppl and produces 10,782 barrels per day

oil alone is not enough to support nigeria
add the fact that none of those 150 million people pay tax outside of select areas and cities and the fact that kleptocracy has been rampant in the past few years.

oil would have been good for building a foundation for industry, but it wasn't used that way, and won't be able to support a nation of 150million and growing.

Are you ok, mr man? Did anybody say the money being realized from oil is enough to make the country prosperous.

Are you simply desperate to to showcase your knowledge?

The question is: where the heck is the money so far realized. Where?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Ikengawo: 8:54am On Nov 01, 2010
i can lend you 20 dollars if you need to find money, but as far as your question goes i've clearly showed you why its hard to see the results of the 'oil money' in a country like nigeria.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 01, 2010
A very odd question considering the sheer size of Nigeria, the fact that it is still developing and the size of the population.
In fact the oil revenue, $30 billion per annum, is grossly insufficient to meet the developmental needs of a country like Nigeria.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by tpia5: 11:37am On Nov 01, 2010
depreciation.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Nobody: 11:48am On Nov 01, 2010
redsun:

Reasonable countries are transformed with d discovry of highly sourced and priced natural resources like oil,gold and diamond but nigeria reverse seem to be d case-retrogression.And d quetion is what happened to our oil generated revenues?
Mention any country that has been developed by mere reliance on mineral resources. And no, tiny countries like Qatar Oman and UAE don't count
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by EzeUche0(m): 1:43pm On Nov 01, 2010
I always found it interesting, that the people who hold the oil wealth are mostly not from the region where the oil is found.

I should be seeing Ijaw, Ogoni, Ibibio, Itsekiri, Urhobo and Igbo millionaires and billionaires, since they are from these oil producing regions.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by AjanleKoko: 1:53pm On Nov 01, 2010
tensor777:

A very odd question considering the sheer size of Nigeria, the fact that it is still developing and the size of the population.
In fact the oil revenue, $30 billion per annum, is grossly insufficient to meet the developmental needs of a country like Nigeria.

Sensible comment.
$30bn is a drop in the bucket, considering that we are a 150 million -strong nation.
Of course in the past there were squandered opportunities, but then, consider that the likes of Gowon did utilize the oil revenues to build up infrastructure in Lagos, expand the railways, build interstate highways, build impressive (for that time) seaport and airports, etc.
The actual squandering started in the mid-80s, when our gap-toothed friend took over the reins of power. But I would still say that, rather than the profligiate use of oil resources, the lack of strong, stable, and purposeful leadership is responsible for the mess in which we find ourselves today.

EzeUche0:

I should be seeing Ijaw, Ogoni, Ibibio, Itsekiri, Urhobo and Igbo millionaires and billionaires, since they are from these oil producing regions.

Well, what would you call Messrs Okah, Tompolo, Dokubo, Ibori, Igbinedion, Boyloaf, Uduaghan, Odili, Alams, Sylva, Amaechi, etc.? grin
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Adanora: 2:21pm On Nov 01, 2010
take a minute and ask ur MR IBB

Or is it IBB ( Independence Bomb Blast) grin grin grin grin
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by invisible2(m): 4:12pm On Nov 01, 2010
redsun:

What has my visit to nigeria got to do with my question of systematic accoutability?
A lot, it doesnt help that you stay outside and piss inside. Come and find out because our people says 'a visitor always asks strange questions'
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 5:02pm On Nov 01, 2010
@ invisible. I am sure i know more of d true happenings in nigeria than u do.Your response tend to insinuate that either u are under d spell of d rogue leadership or u are part of d gang of rogue leaders that are destroying d core fabric of nigeria.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 5:11pm On Nov 01, 2010
Even some arid countries in africa with not even lush grassland to call their own are more developed infrastructure wise than nigeria that is blessed with abundant black GOLD. Where has all d money gone?
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by martinosi: 5:20pm On Nov 01, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^

Those Swiss banks.

U REALLY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD LOL!!!!
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by martinosi: 5:24pm On Nov 01, 2010
redsun:

Hmm sorry to dissapoint you bro, but most of the BIG-FOUR
are auditing the books for African Countries,
PWC i think in 9ja's case,
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by martinosi: 5:26pm On Nov 01, 2010
MandingoII:

Nigeria do not have oil.

that is shell's oil.

Sorry bro, u r wrong, Nigeria has Oil, Shell is not the only corp drilling in
Nigeria, there are other plus many independants oil companies owned
by 9ja individuals,
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by martinosi: 5:30pm On Nov 01, 2010
tensor777:

Mention any country that has been developed by mere reliance on mineral resources. And no, tiny countries like Qatar Oman and UAE don't count

Australia, Canada,
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 01, 2010
martinosi:

Australia, Canada,
You can't expect to get away with that line. In fact australia and canada are very hi-tech countries with mining and agriculture contributing a minuscule proportion of GDP.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 01, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Sensible comment.
$30bn is a drop in the bucket, considering that we are a 150 million -strong nation.
Of course in the past there were squandered opportunities, but then, consider that the likes of Gowon did utilize the oil revenues to build up infrastructure in Lagos, expand the railways, build interstate highways, build impressive (for that time) seaport and airports, etc.
The actual squandering started in the mid-80s, when our gap-toothed friend took over the reins of power. But I would still say that, rather than the profligiate use of oil resources, the lack of strong, stable, and purposeful leadership is responsible for the mess in which we find ourselves today.

However we have to say that the oil glut of the early 80's had a deleterious effect on Nigeria's finances. This directly led to the debt crisis and the fall of the  second republic under Shagari's one nation one destiny NPN. In fact by the time IBB came to power in the mid-eighties oil price per barrel was as low as $9. So the regime had no choice but to introduce the structural adjustment program and seek assistance from the IMF and the world bank.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 7:00pm On Nov 01, 2010
If just 50 percent of nigeria generated revenue is accountbly put back in d system,d country should be able to maintain basic infrastructures that will pave way for high-tech development.But hell no,nigerian leaders want percent of our sweat and blood.
Re: What D Heck Happened To Nigerian Vast Oil Resources? by redsun(m): 7:11pm On Nov 01, 2010
At d time when infant motality is at d highest in nigeria, senators legitimately take home millions of pounds monthly as pay packages.Among d senators are paedophiles,bandits and retarded killers delibrating on how to steal more of our national cake.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Very Interesting: America's Secret Files On Ojukwu. / Meet Nigeria’s Most Corrupt Person: Alhaji Bola Ahmed Tinubu. / Oil Marketers Get $3.6bn To Import Fuel – NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.