Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,574 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite (5083 Views)

2023: South East Must Produce Next President, Igbo Elders Insist / Orji Kalu: Perpetrators Of Violence In South East Must Have A Rethink / Osinbajo On Igbos, Biafra And The Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by tossie101(f): 6:58pm On Sep 21, 2019
YORUBAS can't be trusted, Judas are far better, yorubas can backstab u when u least expect it

3 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 6:59pm On Sep 21, 2019
Me, wen i talk, i tell the truth to the best of my understanding.

I will not say becos am Igbo, so let us cover where we went wrong.

Igbo had a duty to listen to their SS brothers and they did not, they were busy building brother with Sadauna of Kano that already hate them.

The ones that loved them in the SS felt ignored and marginalise.

Some left to Cameroon, did the Igbos listen? Nooooo!

Even after the killing in 1945, alot of our SS brothers who were affected would have been surprise to see Zik answering Zik of Africa.

Ndiigbo... the day i will come for us, I will tell us everything wrong with us. grin

2 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:01pm On Sep 21, 2019
odinceblog:
[img][/img]

By Bluejack

I write as an Ijaw son from Bonny and Nkoro in Rivers State. Ijaw is my tribe, but Biafra remains my national consciousness. I have noticed an inexplicable and unnecessary division in the South-East and South-South in analogy to the reinvigorated quest to restore the Sovereign States of Biafra.

I think our people in these sister regions should reflect on these political and divisive ascriptions and rediscover themselves.

We are neither South-South nor South-East. We are the people of the Eastern Region, a people politically and economically impugned by our enemy in their bid to break our solid SOLIDARITY. We were too formidable for our enemies.

Some of our people think Biafra is an Igbo thing because they are ignorant of the origin of the name. Let me do justice to the origin of Biafra.

THE ORIGIN OF BIAFRA

Biafra is not aboriginal to Biafrans, since it was birthed out of the need to work together and escape the pogromists, rapists, land invaders, and religious fundamentalists called Fulani.

The leader of the Eastern Region, Dim Ojukwu, an educated military officer, assembled stakeholders from Ijaw, Obibio, Efik, and other tribes that constituted the region in his bid to come up with a name that would reflect the heterogeneous ambience of the region.

Chief Frank Opigo, an Ijaw traditional ruler that hails from today’s Bayelsa, suggested BIAFRA, and this went down well with everyone in attendance, for it referred to the water body that covers the entire region. What Ojukwu sought after was a name that would not be exclusionary to any of the tribes (Ijaw, Ibibio, Itsekiri, Urhobo, Annioma etc) in the region. Biafra became the baby of that quest.

Biafra, having come from a non-Igbo stakeholder, became the national consciousness of both the Igbo and non-Igbo constituents of the Eastern Region. Thenceforth, the need to actualise the nation of their dreams, the Land of the Rising Sun, became the aspiration of every easterner.

The failure of Nigeria to heed the Aburi Accord reached in Ghana for restructuring stoked the fire of the agitation for freedom. The Sovereign States of Biafra was declared, but it was short-lived because of avoidable internal wranglings that spiralled into the loss of the Civil War.

The incongruity in the Eastern Region was the result of the feud between Ojukwu and Dr. Kenule Benson Saro-Wiwa, an illustrious Ogoni son and Ojukwu’s military mentality and disposition.

WHY THE STRUGGLE FAILED IN THE 60S?

CONTINUE: https://odinceblog.com/the-origin-of-the-name-biafra-and-why-south-south-and-south-east-must-unite/

please drop the Facebook page or any related status to verify this bluejack writing this unholy nonsense...

If not then it was cooked up by your blog.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:03pm On Sep 21, 2019
See Nnamdi Azikiwe Brother and wat he has to say about him.

This people dont even look like us.

They look like persons fron Sudan and Senegal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6coimsqIyw

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 21, 2019
JonDon12:

You are right about that. I hope the SS states have learnt their lesson. Fact is if they hadnt collaborated with the 3rd Marine Commando, Biafra would have won that war. And what did they get in return. Genocide and Land Degradation. The same Obasanjo that commanded the 3rd Marine is the same one that razed Odi to the ground.

And till these days we still have traitors in our mist

How is that your business.

Biafra with any south south state is as equal as rubbish and pipe dream

Hey man, wake up

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 21, 2019
Inteltower:
Biafra is vision/proposition that will benefit both SE & SS. just like the US conquered & divided the USSR so also did the British, North & SW divided us, confiscated our properties, gave us only 20 naira each, & now some persons in the SS tribes that dont know their history is fighting igbos that only wish them well.

Biafra might be an illusion but it is better than the reality we have today called Nigeria

Biafra will not benefit any SS/SE rather it will be a nonsense and rubbish .

SS is not needed any longer in biafra
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:06pm On Sep 21, 2019
Wen you see people that are related, even wen they dont share same father and mother or village or state, they look alike.

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by mrvitalis(m): 7:08pm On Sep 21, 2019
googi:

Ingrates as usual!
U are holding more position now no body us shouting ....u guys are just greed i swear

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by StaffofOrayan(m): 7:10pm On Sep 21, 2019
Can't you get your things without trying to drag Yoruba into everything?
From your 'freedom' to your presidential ambitions
Everything na Yoruba dey hinder una.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:10pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:
Many of u might not know this but in Igboland, wen a position becomes vacant, they look for an area that have not yet held that position to occupy it.

Igbo have one of the oldest system of democratic governance in west africa.

It is nice to see that alive in Delta State.

Even Anambra had to rotate power to the North despite having so many strong and popualar southern contenders.

The truth is that one day, an Igala Anambra man will be governor of my state.

We already have them represented in Obiano cabinet.

Igala man will not rule anambra state rather they will be carved back to Kogi state.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:11pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Igala man will not rule anambra state rather they will be carved back to Kogi state.

Igala in Anambra is not a tribe but an aborigine.

google the meaning of aborigine.

They are ancestors. Our ancestors!
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:
[s]

The word Biafra came from the Ijaw.

It will pay u to listen to Asari Dokunbo.

Ijaw are more Biafran than even Igbos.

The first push to exit Nigeria came from the Ijaw.

Isaac Adaka Boro.

This was even before oil was discovered.

If Igbos listened earlier to the minorities perhaps they would have saved millions of Igbo lives lost in the Biafran War.

The truth is dat, our SS brothers found all the groups in Nigeria very strange and wanted to continue with their family structure.

They wanted a smaller country.

It was Nnamdi Azikiwe that was calling himself Zik of Africa. Onye Ara![/s]

No single meaning inside here

Stop imposing what u think in ur brain on Ijaw.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:14pm On Sep 21, 2019
Our Igbo brothers should avoid making devastating political mistake as Nnamdi Azikiwe.

If u dont know, say u dont know and learn from those that know.

Else, u make mistake and many generations to come will suffer.

We cannot argue with our ancestors and they told us Igala are our brothers, long before state creations and even Nigeria.

So shall it be till eternity.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by gidgiddy: 7:15pm On Sep 21, 2019
The name Biafra is no longer about who coined the name, it is about the indigenous tribes of the lower Niger (SS and SE) who wish to forge a nation outside Nigeria. Igbos, as the largest ethnic group in the lower Niger, are the only ones who can spearhead a Republic of Biafra. A referendum should be held and those who to either want to continue with Nigeria or gain independence should vote accordingly

It is very important to note that without Igbos, Biafra will never be possible. No other tribe in the lower Niger has the numbers to actualise it

4 Likes

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:17pm On Sep 21, 2019
Bonaventure Enemali, Igala Man Appointed As Commissioner .

He is the closest to an Igala Anambra State Governor.

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Inteltower: 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Biafra will not benefit any SS/SE rather it will be a nonsense and rubbish .

SS is not needed any longer in biafra

you are right in a way.. in starting afresh we need to be a nation of Igbos. so that conflicts won't arise from many minority tribes if it were to SE/SS.

but in another view.. the Igbo politics accommodates power rotation & not domination in order for things to be fair..plus including other tribes will make biafra stronger
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

Igala in Anambra is not a tribe but an aborigine.

google the meaning of aborigine.

They are ancestors. Our ancestors!

They can be your family ancestors not others ancestors.

So your ancestors can contest for governor in your father's compound not Anambra state.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:19pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

They can be your family ancestors not others ancestors.

So your ancestors can contest for governor in your father's compound not Anambra state.

Did u see my above post? People like us are better leaders becos we are in the knowing.

U dat dont know should sit down and contribute reasonably, dont try to drive else u kill us all, like Nnamdi Azikiwe.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:20pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

Did u see my above post?
I can't read it.
It makes no meaning to human hearing.
Let them govern your father's compound.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:23pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

I can't read it.

It makes no meaning to human hearing.

Let them govern your father's compound.

ok u know better than Obiano and Igbo Ancestors.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 21, 2019
Inteltower:

you are right in a way.. in starting afresh we need to be a nation of Igbos. so that conflicts won't arise from many minority tribes if it were to SE/SS.

but in another view.. the Igbo politics accommodates power rotation & not domination in order for things to be fair..plus including other tribes will make biafra stronger

No SS in biafra is like an invitation to somalia.
There reasoning is off space.

They should be left alone..

I can't support biafra with them.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

ok u know better than Obiano and Igbo Ancestors.

Obiano is from Anambra north and an Igbo man
Willie maduabuchukwu Obiano.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:32pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Igbo even before Biafra and long before Nigeria, were part of a Kingdom called Idu.

As a boy, my Grand dad always refered to Idu in western Igbo.

Till this day, no kingship title is complete in Igboland without the word Idu.
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by gidgiddy: 7:34pm On Sep 21, 2019
My dear people, one person with two Nairaland accounts is arguing with himself about Anambra and Igala so as to derail this thread, ignore both of them

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

The foremost Igbo king and custodian of Igbo culture is refered to as Idu Eri.

My grand dad title also carried the word Idu

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:35pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

Igbo even before Biafra and long before Nigeria, were part of a Kingdom called Idu.

As a boy, my Grand dad always refered to Idu in western Igbo.

Till this day, no kingship title is complete in Igboland without the word Idu.

Take your history to those who wishes to hear..

Is totally irrelevant now.

I made my point straight.

Akpokuedike is an Igbo man...the rest na ur invention.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:36pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

Take your history to those who wishes to hear..

Is totally irrelevant now.

I made my point straight.

Akpokuedike is an Igbo man...the rest na ur invention.

I hope ur not an Afonja and Aboki masked as Onye Igbo to derail the thread?
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

The foremost Igbo king and accalimed birth custodian of Igbo culture is refered to as Idu Eri.

My grand dad title also carried the word Idu

please my town has no connection to Nri.

Nwoke stop looking for who to foist your stories on.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:41pm On Sep 21, 2019
MelesZenawi:

please my town has no connection to Nri.

Nwoke stop looking for who to foist your stories on.

Where are you from?
Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 21, 2019
hammerVJ:

I hope ur not an Afonja and Aboki masked as Onye Igbo to derail the thread?

I don't play that afonja game.

Check my comments u hardi see that.

1 Like

Re: The Origin Of The Name “BIAFRA” And Why South-south And South-east Must Unite by hammerVJ: 7:59pm On Sep 21, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
Mynd44.

No need 4 dat here. If u cannot take a little bit of banter, go to isolation.

Haba! na una dey spoil nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandit white helicopter occupant expose / What Exactly Does VAWULENCE mean On Nairaland? Picture Attached. / G-5 Governors Finally Agreed To Work With Atiku (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.