Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,075 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways (937 Views)

Atiku, Tinubu, Obi, In Tight Race As Run-off Looms / Zamfara Gold: I Never Said FG Should Hands Off Rivers Oil - Wike / Sowore: AGF Malami Orders DSS To Hands-Off Trial, Takes Over Case-file (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by nku5: 1:49pm On Sep 24, 2019
The federal government on Tuesday in Abuja, ordered the Lagos state government to as a matter of urgency hands off the waterways in the state, noting that it is the responsibilities of the Nigerian Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA) to oversee the sector.

Minister of Transportation, Mr. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, who gave this order while featuring on a television programme monitored by THISDAY, revealed that Lagos state government did not have any right on the Inland waterways.
Amaechi said the Constitution was clear on the issue and that the law was clear on the ownership structure but, “when there is a vacuum it has to be filled so Lagos state decided to fill that.”
The minister stated that court had ruled that the federal government must go back to claim that responsibility since it’s theirs, adding that to do that, money can be provided from the budget to buy more vessels and provide inland water services in Lagos from Victoria Island for instance to Apapa which he said would help reduce gridlock in the area.

“The law is very clear about the responsibility of management of waterways, so why does Lagos state government want to take it from NIWA? For me, I don’t think that port construction at the inland waterways is the solution for now, we have done quite a lot, Onitsha, Baru, Lokoja River port are ready and still under utilised.

“What we should focus on is production, what we are doing at ministry of transport is to provide the logistics to move and transport your goods, so there is need to harp more on production, because as you produce your goods you create wealth. That is what China has been doing to move forward.”

He noted that there was also a need to do dredging on the waterways and see how many people would be encouraged to move their goods by water adding that this will create more employment.

He also stated that government needed to focus more on cargo tracking, stressing that he was embarrassed at the last maritime stakeholders meeting when almost all the stakeholders were hammering on tracking, “I will try to present this at the cabinet so that we can take cargo tracking off the ground,” Amaechi said.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/17/face-off-looms-as-fg-orders-lagos-to-hands-off-inland-waterways/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by delpee(f): 2:26pm On Sep 24, 2019
Hmmm! Sowing seeds that may affect the South South too. The man who throws stones in the market place forgets that his family members may be affected. ( Yoruba proverb)

So we can't have water transportation for instance by Lagos State or the private sector? FG is in charge of canoes and boats plying the waters around Lagos? With this statement and attitude it means Lekki bridge will have been impossible to achieve with this mindset. May Musa Yar'aduas kind soul continue to rest in perfect peace. He made it happen without any sentiments.

I'll be glad to have further clarification if I assumed wrongly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by ODB2: 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2019
It is open season on afonjas

Buhari should declare ruga across afonjaland .

They won't oppose it because they have no balls

2 Likes

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by ODB2: 2:31pm On Sep 24, 2019
delpee:
Hmmm! Sowing seeds that may affect the South South too. The man who throws stones in the market place forgets that his family members may be affected. ( Yoruba proverb)

So we can't have water transportation for instance by Lagos State or the private sector? FG is in charge of canoes and boats plying the waters around Lagos? With this statement and attitude it means Lekki bridge will have been impossible to achieve with this mindset. May Musa Yar'aduas kind soul continue to rest in perfect peace. He made it happen without any sentiments.

I'll be glad to have further clarification if I assumed wrongly.

See as you are begging for alliance with the SS

Better face that mad man amechi on your own

2 Likes

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by CeterisXVII: 3:42pm On Sep 24, 2019
Since all the inland waterways have been under the FG, what have they done with it?

When Lagos State Govt under Fashola and Ambode's regime were spending millions to construct jetties, buy boats and dredge lagoons, in Lagos, where was Amaechi and his FG sycophants? shocked

How much did they contribute to LASG's efforts, at improving water transportation in Lagos?

How many ferries and boats have been deployed by NIWA and FG, to ease water transportation in Lagos?

The thunder that will fire Amaechi and his cohorts, is still doing press-up at Elegushi beach.... angry

1 Like

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by Captainrambo2: 3:46pm On Sep 24, 2019
this ogboni man called ameachi is an idiot. simple

1 Like

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by efighter: 3:51pm On Sep 24, 2019
No one fights with Tinubu or his proxy and survives it. Ask Afenifere, YCE, Bukola Saraki, Dino Melaye, Obasanjo, Atikuchukwu, Obituary, Goatluck, Bode George, Funsho Williams, Adeseye Ogunleye, Gbenga Daniel, Ibikunle Amosu, Olagunsoye Oyinlola, Olu Falae, Donald Duke, Peter Odilli, Diezaini Alison-Madueke, Ayo Fayose, Femi Fani Layode, Musiliu Obanikoro, Tambuwal that betrayed Tinubu, Kwakwaso, and several other political miscreants. Warn Amaechi so that he wont join the list of expired politicians.
Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by alizma: 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2019
After ambode has invested enough in that sector, Ameachi is eyeing it abi? Tell him to be careful cos Tinubu is watching

1 Like

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by efighter: 4:02pm On Sep 24, 2019
alizma:
After ambode has invest enough in that sector, Ameachi is eyeing it abi? Tell him to be careful cos Tinubu is watching

I hope Amaechi will not go in the way of Saraki. Amaechi is Saraki very good friend. If you recall, it was Saraki that handed over the Chairmanship of the Governors' Forum to Amachi, that was the beginning of the fight in PDP. So, lets see how far Amaechi can fight for Saraki.

1 Like

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by nku5: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2019
What I find strange is that just three months ago the FG after winning the case in court signed an agreement to cooperate with Lagos State Government. Mamora then Head of NIWA was signatory on behalf of Federal Government but Amaechi now as supervising minister of NIWA is not interested in that agreement. Very interesting...

Re: Face off Looms as FG Orders Lagos State Govt To Hands off Inland Waterways by Venerable612(m): 5:51pm On Sep 24, 2019
nku5:
What I find strange is that just three months ago the FG after winning the case in court signed an agreement to cooperate with Lagos State Government. Mamora then Head of NIWA was signatory on behalf of Federal Government but Amaechi now as supervising minister of NIWA is not interested in that agreement. Very interesting...

True.

There is an existing treaty between the NIWA and Lagos State on this already.

However, MoUs are not binding as such. That’s why I don’t really advise it as an instrument of agreement. Best thing to do is to go for a Terms of Settlement between the parties and proceed to the High Court to enter it as a consent judgment.

Truth be told - all Inter state water ways in Lagos are within the exclusive jurisdiction of the NA/FG. And I think the story reads that Amaechi was particular about the Ports. If lagos state constructs it - they will have a claim on the revenue.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/punchng.com/lagos-fg-agree-to-end-waterways-dispute/amp/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Okorocha's Ally Chike Okafor Wins At The Supreme Court / Why Hausa,yoruba And Middle Belt Must Apologises To Igbo's Withing 24 Hrs / Bauchi Governor Hails Goodluck Jonathan, Says After God Is Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.