Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,561 members, 7,850,927 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:55 AM

Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers (556 Views)

INEC Declares PDP Winner Of ALL Elections In Zamfara / INEC Declares PDP's Ikpeazu Winner Of Abia State Governorship Election / JUST IN: APGA Dump Candidate Declares Support For Atiku-obi, 5 Days To Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 25, 2019
Tribunal sacks SDP candidate, declares PDP’s winner in Rivers

Sampson Itode , Port Harcourt

The National and State Assembly Election Petition Tribunal sitting in Port Harcourt have on Tuesday sacked the candidate of the Social Democratic Party , Ipalibo George , who was initially declared winner of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Asari- Toru constituency 1 in March 9 , 2019 .

The Tribunal , however , declared candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party candidate , Tekenari Wellington winner and ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Wellington immediately.

Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party , Wellington had approached the tribunal seeking it to nullify the victory of the Social Democratic Party ’ s candidate , George at the Rivers state House of Assembly, Asari-Toru constituency 1 , Rivers state .

Delivering the judgment on behalf of the panel Justice J. O . Bangboshe stated that candidate of the PDP proved before the tribunal that he lawfully polled the greater number of votes against the Social Democratic Party ’ s candidate , George who was initially declared the winner of the election.

The Tribunal added that the petitioner also proved that most of the result sheets presented by the SDP candidate and the police as evidence were neither signed nor contained INEC stamps and dates.

Speaking with newsmen outside the courtroom, Dike Udenna , counsel for Wellington , said the tribunal gave its judgement based on the evidences brought before it.
“ Judgment had just been delivered in favour of the petitioner , candidate of the PDP, Tekenari Wellington as the rightful candidate that polled a majority of the lawful votes .

“ The court has accordingly declared that INEC issue him ( Wellington ) a Certificate of Return and be sworn in immediately, after considering all the evidences adduced by the parties. The tribunal came to the conclusion that some of result sheets been relied upon by the 2 nd respondent ( INEC ) were not authentic and did not have signatures, INEC stamps , dates or names of those who purported to be presiding officers in the election. ”

Also , counsel for Social Democratic Party candidate , Inmie West, said he was consulting with his client to appeal the judgement .
“ The tribunal in its wisdom upheld the petition of the petitioner ( Wellington ) and declared that the petitioner proved his case .

“ I am liaising with my client to know if we will appeal the judgement . If we fail to appeal within the 21 days window period of appeal , then my client will automatically vacate the seat, but for now , my client remains a member of the Rivers State House of Assembly . ”

https://punchng.com/tribunal-sacks-sdp-candidate-declares-pdps-winner-in-rivers/?fbclid=IwAR1arP3w5QR48f0LesnugzJbswfpdlEvk6q4R71l6QR3hhUTjzM5juIWnSg
Re: Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers by ourema(f): 11:38am On Sep 25, 2019
We know thatPDP will win
Re: Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers by jlinkd78(m): 11:57am On Sep 25, 2019
The SDP guy should be advised to use d 21 days window to negotiate out something with d PDP govt rather than appealing and losing all round. My honest advice though.
Re: Tribunal Sacks SDP Candidate, Declares Pdp’s Winner In Rivers by zeromeridian: 11:59am On Sep 25, 2019
Judiciary actually redeeming its image

(1) (Reply)

NASS On Lockdown As Buhari Presents 2020 Budget / 'I Still Need More Rest' Says Aisha Buhari After Returns From UK / President Buhari Reacts To Tanker Explosion In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.