Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,597 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? (859 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names / Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 8:41am On Sep 27, 2019
I mean we were colonized by the British colonial masters who taught us English as well, and if there is anything i'm aware of its that the colonized country usually adopts the language and speaking pattern of their colonial masters like Senegal, Ivory Coast et al.

The English we speak here in Nigeria is very banal and unrefined, would've been nice if we at least adopted England's Queens English.

Lalasticlala Mynd44 dominique

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by donbachi(m): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2019
Which one wey dey speak?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 27, 2019
We speak every shades of English, just like our economy which mixed economy, our English is mixed English. We combine British, American, pidgin and even our local dialects. Languages keep transforming and Nigerians are not left out. Am proud of our brand. Bros how far?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by mamajj17(f): 9:06am On Sep 27, 2019
Cos most of our Teachers are DROPPED OUT l said most not all grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by alphaNomega: 9:21am On Sep 27, 2019
Please while you are splitting your hair about which dialect of English you want to use, make out time to learn French, German and Mandarin. If you can learn Spanish too that would be awesome
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by C505: 9:32am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
I mean we were colonized by the British colonial masters who taught us English as well, and if there is anything i'm aware of its that the colonized country usually adopts the language and speaking pattern of their colonial masters like Senegal, Ivory Coast et al.

The English we speak here in Nigeria is very banal and unrefined, would've been nice if we at least adopted England's Queens English.

Lalasticlala Mynd44 dominique

Apparently Nigerians don't care about the Queen's English again. They prefer the Trump's English..... A language that sounds so bizarre that if you don't have big ears, you'll never hear one full sentence.

That's the reason till date, I can never watch a Hollywood movie that isn't subtitled otherwise, I'm only seeing the action and neglecting the conversations.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by vickyhow(m): 9:50am On Sep 27, 2019
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:29am On Sep 27, 2019
Barrytone:
We speak every shades of English, just like our economy which mixed economy, our English is mixed English. We combine British, American, pidgin and even our local dialects. Languages keep transforming and Nigerians are not left out. Am proud of our brand. Bros how far?
Master i'm doing okay o smiley

On the issue why is it that ivory coast and Benin adopted the French language from their colonial masters and perfected it...whereas Nigeria is still sitting on the fence, We were taught English by the best English speakers in the world yet our spoken English is next to nothing in terms of sophistication sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:31am On Sep 27, 2019
mamajj17:
Cos most of our Teachers are DROPPED OUT l said most not all grin grin
i'm beginning to think so too because i see no reason why your master will teach you to speak in a certain way and you will desert it to form your own (pidgin English)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:35am On Sep 27, 2019
alphaNomega:
Please while you are splitting your hair about which dialect of English you want to use, make out time to learn French, German and Mandarin. If you can learn Spanish too that would be awesome
i recently downloaded apps on my phone that assisted me in learning these lingua franca, but i tell ya its not as easy as it looks, the reason i'm not happy is because we had a solid chance of becoming master speakers of English if only we learnt judiciously from the British colonialists but we threw all that away to form our own (pidgin English) sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 10:36am On Sep 27, 2019
C505:

Apparently Nigerians don't care about the Queen's English again. They prefer the Trump's English..... A language that sounds so bizarre that if you don't have big ears, you'll never hear one full sentence.

That's the reason till date, I can never watch a Hollywood movie that isn't subtitled otherwise, I'm only seeing the action and neglecting the conversations.
Exactly
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by mamajj17(f): 10:43am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
i'm beginning to think so too because i see no reason why your master will teach you to speak in a certain way and you will desert it to form your own (pidgin English)

I tell you my dear grin cheesy smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by alphaNomega: 10:51am On Sep 27, 2019
TissuePaper:
i recently downloaded apps on my phone that assisted me in learning these lingua franca, but i tell ya its not as easy as it looks, the reason i'm not happy is because we had a solid chance of becoming master speakers of English if only we learnt judiciously from the British colonialists but we threw all that away to form our own (pidgin English) sad

Being multilingual is way better. Your proficiency in English is good enough, DuoLingo can help you learn other foreign languages.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by TissuePaper: 11:13am On Sep 27, 2019
alphaNomega:

Being multilingual is way better. Your proficiency in English is good enough, DuoLingo can help you learn other foreign languages.
Valid point
Re: Why Do Nigerians Not Speak British English? by midnighter(f): 5:38pm On Sep 28, 2019

(1) (Reply)

Igbo Calendar Apps Flood Google Play Store / Bengali New Year 1427 / The Owu War And The Kingdom | Yoruba History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.