Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,476 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:26 AM

Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names (1727 Views)

Igbo Speaking Nairalanders, How Would You Translate These English Words To Igbo? / Igbo speakers please help us translate this English words/Sentence to Igbo / A Collection Of Modern English Words And Their Yoruba Cognates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by y3mi(m): 3:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
Why don't we like to bear name s that truly define our identity or that appropriately reflects the tribes we originate from. A German would name his child a Deutsch name as would a French and a Japanese person, but why do Nigerians find it cool to accept the naming of their children with not just a Jewish or English names, but mere words found in an English lexicon.

Phenomenal16:
..lol
U are catching cruise with my name
Yes, and why phenomenal? Are you phenomena by real name, if not tell me what's so phenomenal about you that's yet to be unraveled by science ? Nigerians are fond of bearing funny names like Constance, Anointing, Phenomena, Blessing, Gift, Bright, Smart, Patience, Innocent etc

You can add yours.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by samwash(m): 4:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
If I may ask, what is the official language Nigerian speak & try to research on the origin of those English names.
Moreover many of us still have & uses our tribal names.
Many Nigerian have embrace the Western culture ,a lot of Nigerian now leave(lost) in other developed countries, the only tie they have with Nigeria is either their fore fathers are Nigerian or still hold to their tribal (native) names.
Also before colonization, the white leaves among us, so some pple adopt the English names & it now infuse into our tribal name is some cases.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Nobody: 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
y3mi:
Why don't we like to bear name s that truly define our identity or that appropriately reflects the tribes we originate from. A German would name his child a Deutsch name as would a French and a Japanese person, but why do Nigerians find it cool to accept the naming of their children with not just a Jewish or English names, but mere words found in an English lexicon.

Yes, and why phenomenal? Are you phenomena by real name, if not tell me what's so phenomenal about you that's yet to be unraveled by science ? Nigerians are fond of bearing funny names like Constance, Anointing, Phenomena, Blessing, Gift, Bright, Smart, Patience, Innocent etc

You can add yours.
OP, I hope "Phenomena" is not your own way of spelling "Philomena"?

Is that what you are trying to spell here?

Looks like you failed at it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Bruno3000(m): 5:05pm On Apr 29, 2021
You will hear names like Blessing, Miracle, God's power, Testimony, Joy, Friday, Monday, Sunday, Governor, grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Adeba01(m): 6:05pm On Apr 29, 2021
Simply put.... inferiority complexion (especially on the part of women e.g. fake hair angry cry) sometimes I feel like I am the only proud black / Nigerian person. On other occasions I try not to think that I am the only proud black/ Nigerian ad it gets me down and lonely. shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by y3mi(m): 7:34pm On Apr 29, 2021
mansakhalifa:

OP, I hope "Phenomena" is not your own way of spelling "Philomena"?

Is that what you are trying to spell here?

Looks like you failed at it.
Yeah, Philomena it is. That doesn't amount to failure. I just wasn't recalling well.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
y3mi:

Yeah, Philomena it is. That doesn't amount to failure. I just wasn't recalling well.

Aha!

But it is not an English word now and it is not one of those funny names either... sad
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by gregyboy(m): 8:45pm On Apr 29, 2021
Those funny names are religiously inclined

Nigerians don't bear true English names anymore like Charles, Churchill

The names we bear now only God knows the rubbish we name our children....
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
gregyboy:
Those funny names are religiously inclined

Nigerians don't bear true English names anymore like Charles, Churchill

The names we bear now only God knows the rubbish we name our children....

We are Christians and bear Christ like names.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Polynek(m): 6:33pm On May 02, 2021
Dix are caused by those who colonized us
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by ednut1(m): 3:04am On May 03, 2021
Christian names not English names. Have you seen a Nigerian bearing vardy, drinkwater, Hughes, blair
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Hintona(f): 9:38pm On May 03, 2021
ednut1:
Christian names not English names. Have you seen a Nigerian bearing vardy, drinkwater, Hughes, blair

grin So the name Blessing is in what language if not English?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by ednut1(m): 9:58pm On May 03, 2021
Hintona:

grin So the name Blessing is in what language if not English?
English name but its use in Nigeria is heavily influenced by religion
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Hintona(f): 10:00pm On May 03, 2021
ednut1:

More elaborate.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by WorWorBoy: 9:00am On May 05, 2021
More like Christian names I've not seen any Nigerian bearing names like stone,wood,bush and so on.
I maybe wrong tho.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by y3mi(m): 12:23am On May 15, 2021
ednut1:
Religion and ignorance. Nigerians takes fancy in bearing foreign names in order to sound civilized. For instance, some bear Greek names whose meaning they have no idea how it is linked to Greek's mythological past steeped in mythology and yet claim to be Christians who spits on names associated with the Gods native to their very own ancestral origins.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by Casham: 9:13pm On May 15, 2021
What if I choose to bear a non-tribal name? Your culture is whichever you choose to adopt. I may not be mongol but so what if I choose to adopt the mongol culture? Fu*k my ancestors! They never developed a good enough culture. English is my culture now.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by powerhouse3(m): 7:49pm On May 19, 2021
I met a girl that bear three English name and I felt pity for her ,....and it's common in the south state,.....but for me ,all my children will go with a good native name .........

It's remain me of one interview I went for ,...after all the crazy condition I knew instantly ,the job Is not meant for me and the crazy HR keeping calling me mr Joseph and I correct her,..just

Call me Asuquo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Bear English Words As Names by babyfaceafrica: 7:13am On May 20, 2021
You have a point.. But since we were colonised by the British it is hard to jettison

(1) (Reply)

Beauty Of Masqurade In African Culture / Photos From The Osun Oshogbo Festival / I Want To Learn Spanish. Any Fluent Speaker Here?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.