Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,877 members, 7,838,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy (14593 Views)

Military Pencils Down Over 50 Names For Promotion As Generals Bow Out Today / Police Lists Tunji Disu, Others For Promotion To Commissioner Of Police / Peter Obi Hits Back At Kwankwaso For Promotion Of Ethnicity/religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Chukwurah003: 7:32am On Sep 28, 2019
ValCon888:
Many Nigerians will get promoted.
Hunger plus Buhari govt is keeping us slim fit.

Be deceiving yourself
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by docadams: 8:19am On Sep 28, 2019
homesteady:

BMI is the medical standard for determining if someone is overweight or underweight.

Actually, it can be easily calculated = (weight)(kg)/height(m) ²

Underweight<18.5, normal weight 19.5 - 24, overweight 25 -28, obese 30 -34 ; morbid obesity 35 -39;
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by dallyemmy: 8:41am On Sep 28, 2019
What do they understand about BMI?

Heredity plays a big role in BMI. Some people can finish a big bowl of eba and still remain skinny while some people all they need to do is to smell the food and they will become like an over blown balloon.

Well, It is up to them.

1 Like

Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Adeebiwa09(m): 9:18am On Sep 28, 2019
ijustdey:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/09/27/body-mass-index-now-criterion-for-promotion-says-navy/

This is one of the best reforms that should come into the military. In my mind for a long time I have been planning this, once I become president or special adviser it will be what I will do this. Once you are over weight in any of the military service will be given 3 month to get it right or resign compulsorily. Imagine an overweight police man, civil defense etc how can you carry out your work. Good one
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Adeebiwa09(m): 9:21am On Sep 28, 2019
dallyemmy:

Heredity plays a big role in BMI. Some people can finish a big bowl of eba and still remain skinny while some people all they need to do is to smell the food and they will become like an over blown balloon.

Well, It is up to them.

I see your point and it almost convinced me but on a second thought, no matter the place of hereditary, keeping fit in one's work is paramount. Flat foot is also hereditary but none of the military services recruits those with that, same as height, crossed eyes, albinism.

1 Like

Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by UncletC: 10:07am On Sep 28, 2019
joey150:
Body Mass Index is not an accurate way to tell if a person is over weight.

Some people have denser bones than others, while some are more heavily built than others.

So, common sense should also come into play.
the topic here is not weight only but body mass index meaning weight and height...
whether your bones are denser or light, whether you are fat or slim.... the combination of your weight and height must meet conventional standard... your comment shows low level of understanding,
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by joey150(m): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2019
homesteady:

BMI is the medical standard for determining if someone is overweight or underweight.

BMI is nothing but a formula based on your weight and height.

There are many instances of people who don't look overweight and who definitely aren't overweight but have a high BMI.

1 Like

Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by joey150(m): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2019
UncletC:
the topic here is not weight only but body mass index meaning weight and height...
whether your bones are denser or light, whether you are fat or slim.... the combination of your weight and height must meet conventional standard... your comment shows low level of understanding,

You my friend should make better use of your smartphone.

1 Like

Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Chartey(m): 11:11am On Sep 28, 2019
joey150:
Body Mass Index is not an accurate way to tell if a person is over weight.

Some people have denser bones than others, while some are more heavily built than others.

So, common sense should also come into play.

Fallenhunter:
Bmi doesn't work if you have muscle mass, something that would be present at higher level among naval cadets than would be in the general population. Bmi is okay to judge the average health of the general population but not for the army or navy

That's why the normal is a range not a single value. Once it's 25 and above, fat is responsible.
It's true there are other indices but the BMI is simple and very reliable.
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Chartey(m): 11:16am On Sep 28, 2019
dallyemmy:

Well, It is up to them.
The problem is not a high BMI, it's the higher risk of certain diseases associated with a high BMI that's the problem. So even if it's genetic or there are some hormonal problems, one still needs help, has to go to the hospital and put in work to be fit.
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by homesteady(m): 12:24pm On Sep 28, 2019
joey150:

BMI is nothing but a formula based on your weight and height.

There are many instances of people who don't look overweight and who definitely aren't overweight but have a high BMI.

I'm a medical student, final year, so I guess I have a lot of experience on this BMI stuff.

BMI Is what we use in the hospital.
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by Insectkiller: 1:41pm On Sep 28, 2019
Na Soo..

Especially among d police officers..
A male police officer will be like an eleven months pregnant woman.. No fitness
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by tck2000(m): 2:29pm On Jan 01, 2020
Good
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by 0monnak0da: 2:51pm On Jan 01, 2020
Simply untrue.
A comment that reflects an undergraduate I read am for book mindset.
There is NOsingle standard for determining overweight. BMI is a useful toot but not without limitations
I am not aware of any study determining the exact cut off points on the BMI scale for black people or Nigerian population
Rather BMI cut offs are arbitrary and derived based on Western populations.
Also there is no age adjusted data,no profession adjusted data etc.
How then can we assume what is the right BMI for a soldier,a heavyweight boxer,a Sumo wrestler etc
There are countless imaging studies showing individuals with "good" BMI scores yet with high levels of intra abdominal fat,fatty liver and related conditions.
The funny thing g about BMI is its lack of realism.. The upper limit of about 25 automatically places most of the over 40 age group in the category of overweight
Over 40s have different physiology from 20 year olds
BMI is a useful tool Among other tools

Anthony Joshua has a BMi close to 30 which would make him almost "obese"
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by 0monnak0da: 3:05pm On Jan 01, 2020
homesteady:

I'm a medical student, final year, so I guess I have a lot of experience on this BMI stuff.

BMI Is what we use in the hospital.
What separates a doctor from a technician is the ability to think and reflect.
Many doctors never evolve to that level sadly.

BMI is simple a height adjusted formula for weight. You put int the numbers and you get a score period
Whether a score is too much or too little is set by human beings. It is not in the constitution neither is it in the Ten Commandments or the Quran.

So the classification of a person as short ,tall fat or thin is an arbitrary thing.

E.g in some countries they have safety regulations for the work place in terms of room temperature to determine that a room is too hot or too cold. Whilst based on multiple factors in different places ultimately it is arbitrary.

Being overweight has no universally agreed meaning for all populations.
In these days of full body scans we now know that a so called NORMAL BMI is no indication of good health
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by 0monnak0da: 5:01pm On Jan 01, 2020
UncletC:
Your level of understanding is zombie like. You open a book you read stuff it helps you pass exams and it is Reality

The world doesn't work like that and most especially medicine does not.
Must meet conventional standards you assert?
Which CONVENTIONAL STANDARD? Where was this convention ratified? Who were the signatories? Who represented Black people or Nigeria.
The BMi is useful but its utility is not absolute.
Why not boost YOUR understanding by researching the HISTORY and LIMITATIONS of BMI
Re: Body Mass Index Now Criterion For Promotion, Says Navy by UncletC: 10:09pm On Jan 08, 2020
0monnak0da:

Your level of understanding is zombie like. You open a book you read stuff it helps you pass exams and it is Reality

The world doesn't work like that and most especially medicine does not.
Must meet conventional standards you assert?
Which CONVENTIONAL STANDARD? Where was this convention ratified? Who were the signatories? Who represented Black people or Nigeria.
The BMi is useful but its utility is not absolute.
Why not boost YOUR understanding by researching the HISTORY and LIMITATIONS of BMI
when the cadet wants to find out your body index, they research for the limitations and history
...you are really living in none educated world of your own. Why not tell us the body fitness department in the world's military agencies doesn't use BMI ....you are really backward

(1) (2) (Reply)

Missing $9.5m: Senate Gives Emefiele 72 Hours To Honour Invitation / Roqeeb Adeniji Dies At 79 (Ogun APC Chairman) / "Niger Delta Loves Buhari, People Think We Hate Him" - Lauretta Onochie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.