Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,410 members, 7,850,453 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:39 PM

Somali Journalist: 'I Was The Only Female Reporter In My City' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Somali Journalist: 'I Was The Only Female Reporter In My City' (349 Views)

Sit At Home Early Morning Update From My City Obosi Anambra State / Tordue Salem: Man Confesses To Killing Vanguard Reporter In Hit-and-run Incident / FFK: I Hereby Withdraw The Word “Stupid” That I Used On Journalist, I Regret It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Somali Journalist: 'I Was The Only Female Reporter In My City' by AstroTalk: 11:59am On Sep 28, 2019
Maryan Seylac is a columnist from Somalia. She was one of the main female columnists from her city, Baidoa, and set up an association that looks to empower and bolster ladies writers in the nation.

She has recounted to the BBC her story, talking about the difficulties that ladies face in one of the world's most perilous nations to be a columnist and how she was nearly slaughtered in an assault by activist Islamist bunch al-Shabab.

I was constantly intrigued by news coverage. Since early on, I used to tune in to the BBC Somali Service with my dad and examine the tales with him - that is the way I built up an enthusiasm for governmental issues.

Somalia is loaded with political issues and has been battled about by different gatherings since the military system was toppled in 1991, when I was around four years of age. Since 2012, it has steadily turned out to be progressively steady, however Somalia is as yet a risky spot to be a writer, especially in case you're a lady.

At school, I was constantly straightforward and used to address the class as they were arranging for exercises. In Somalia, your folks never ask what you will be later on, in light of the fact that as a lady your place is in the home, cooking and cleaning. In any case, I knew from the get-go that I needed a vocation, and it would be in news coverage.

Did any one know such girls with the same profession ?? smiley

Click on this link to read more about such articles-https://astrotalk.com

(1) (Reply)

EXCLUSIVE: UNIBEN Increases JUPEB Tuition Fees / Miyetti Allah Wallidira Speaks On Nigeria 59years Of Independence: Blames Nass / Buhari Says N-power, Others Will Be Institutionalised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.