Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) (43756 Views)

Just In: Tinubu Visits Former President Babangida (watch Video) / Murray-Bruce Announced Bianca Ojukwu As Miss Intercontinental In 1989 (Video) / Bianca Onoh Ojukwu As Winner Of Miss Intercontinental In 1989 (Throwback Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Amalekki: 3:47pm On Sep 30, 2019
TheAngry1:
We were once respected globally.
Then came drug dealers and yahoo yahoo exponents.

Now, there was a country.
That was the Capone of drug dealers himself finally selling off his country to the neo-colonialists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Caseless: 3:49pm On Sep 30, 2019
HaryoBamex:
When the going was good for us as a nation...

This was when the whites recognized and respected Nigeria, not now...

NIGERIA, which way na.

I weep for Nigeria o.
that was when our problems really started. Babangida sold us to them. He brought SAP and IMF to please the west, hence the huge reception accorded him. He opened our borders and markets to all sorts of goods from abroad. He demilitarized Nigeria just to protect his regime.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Dearlord(m): 3:51pm On Sep 30, 2019
Nothing was better then, it was the days of gradually tarnishing of our image.

Days of little looting.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Validated: 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2019
YolobaMuslim:
Boohary's visit in 2015

Werey! Wetin Buhari do you?? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by osuofia2(m): 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tonnyray:
When a stone is rolling downhill you don't blame the stone, rather you find out what dislodged it from the hilltop in the first place.

I sincerely hope you understand.
KEEP DEFENDING HIM, FYI HE PROMISED TO MAKE DOLLAR EQUAL TO NAIRA WITHIN SIX MONTHS
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Brandstudio01: 3:54pm On Sep 30, 2019
What a memorable moment in history. How time fly
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by angelicwing: 3:58pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tonnyray:
When a stone is rolling downhill you don't blame the stone, rather you find out what dislodged it from the hilltop in the first place.

I sincerely hope you understand.

Why waste your precious time on those who are deaf, dumb and incapable of critical thinking? They actually prefer servitude with free bread to freedom.

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Tonnyray: 4:01pm On Sep 30, 2019
osuofia2:

KEEP DEFENDING HIM, FYI HE PROMISED TO MAKE DOLLAR EQUAL TO NAIRA WITHIN SIX MONTHS
Who is defending who? You think everybody is in this APC/PDP cursed ship? Some of us see NIGERIA for NIGERIA not your Buhari/Atiku stance. What we're discussing is 30 years ago when the seeds of the present predicaments were being sown and nurtured. Those with any sense of history and introspective reasoning understand what I penned. Now if you'll excuse me.

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by VillageHead: 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2019
@OP

As wickedness no gree you show Bubu own now, what about when hin be military president? cheesy grin cheesy
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Tonnyray: 4:05pm On Sep 30, 2019
angelicwing:

Why waste your precious time on those who are deaf, dumb and incapable of critical thinking? They actually prefer servitude with free bread to freedom.
You're so right bro. I'm done with him and his ilk.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by evanstical: 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2019
This was when the sold him the idea of devaluing our currency.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by naptu2: 4:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
evanstical:
This was when the sold him the idea of devaluing our currency.

This visit occurred in 1989. The Naira had already been devalued (remember that SAP started in 1986 and that the first SAP riot was in 1988, the second was in 1989 and the third was in 1992).
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by engrchykae(m): 4:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tina26:
we have lost that respect
we never had respect in their eyes in the first place.
buhari stood up to the slavemasters and matched them force to force,they detained our airline,we detained theirs.
then they supported ibb their houseboy to unseat buhari and mess up our naira by borrowing money from imf and devaluing our money by imf terms.
they see us as slaves who must be ruled by a stooge who must do british bidding.
God will remember ibb's disservice to nigeria,a traitor.
its funny that this same ibb who worked with the british against national interest killed many soldiers under the guise of treasonable felony.
i dont like buhari because he is tribalistic to a fault but he is patriotic at least to a select nigerians but ibb is a felon,a villain,a beast of no nation,a madman who killed our military by stopping their routine trainings because he suspected they might overthrow him during such trainings.
a tank the british refused to buy is what the witch of a margareth thatcher made him purchase for nigeria.
the british refused the vickers ,opting for the challenger which i believe is the better tank but ibb,a beast of no nation woulkd buy it for nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by DedeNkem: 4:14pm On Sep 30, 2019
The North destroyed this country!
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Tonnyray: 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
naptu2:

This visit occurred in 1989. The Naira had already been devalued (remember that SAP started in 1986 and that the first SAP riot was in 1988, the second was in 1989 and the third was in 1992).
The entire script came from the West all the same. IBB was their poster boy robot of conformity to execute those evil debilitating policies that benefited the colonial masters alone. They naturally would give him a rousing welcome.

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by GGirll: 4:19pm On Sep 30, 2019
This was when Nigeria was just sold....I can't cry for Nigeria I can only work harder n make sure my kids don't suffer here too....bye naija!
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by deebrain(m): 4:31pm On Sep 30, 2019
Whenever I see and reminiscence the past honors Nigeria used to have, I fight back tears.

Interestingly, we had much honor in the military years than in democracy.

It has been steady decline since 1999. This present government seems to be the lowest. Like seriously. Nobody thought it could be worse that it was during the military years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by naptu2: 4:33pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tonnyray:
The entire script came from the West all the same. IBB was their poster boy robot of conformity to execute those evil debilitating policies that benefited the colonial masters alone. They naturally would give him a rousing welcome.

I'm not referring to who did what. I'm referring to the timing. SAP was already in full flow by 1989 and the masses were already feeling the biting effects and this led to the 1988, 1989 and 1992 riots (SAP started in 1986).
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Hedonisco: 5:06pm On Sep 30, 2019
Halcyon days.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 30, 2019
TheAngry1:
We were once respected globally.
Then came drug dealers and yahoo yahoo exponents.

Now, there was a country.

Back then, Nigeria was on the blacklist of the USA....as a major transit nation for HARD drugs.

Plus, we were broke. And IBB had a big hand in it (SAP).
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by richiepolymer(m): 5:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
This was the period IBB sold the soul of Nigeria ignorantly. The British took Nigeria on a platter by seducing IBB with all sorts which the general had no idea of and how it was going to stagnate Nigeria for the years to come.
Only those who know, know and understand what I'm talking about.
cry

Take time to follow the trend of Nigeria's development and debt profile from that moment till date. Both physically and spiritually. The deed was done!
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 30, 2019
HaryoBamex:
When the going was good for us as a nation...

This was when the whites recognized and respected Nigeria, not now...

NIGERIA, which way na.

I weep for Nigeria o.
Tina26:
we have lost that respect
AmazingELixir:
lipsrsealed

Good old days when Nigeria's reputation abroad was almost pristine and unblotted by herdsmen, boko haram, yahoo Yahoo, kidnapping and the ilks.

Meanwhile this picture of Prince Charles and Diana speaks volume of the silent feud in their marriage, Diana particularly might be eying her Arabian born billionaire boyfriend while prince Charles resigned himself to fate with his forlorn appearance.

If my memory serves me right the last time a Nigerian president visited that country was when a certain herdsman developed hearing problems and the Queen was like I can't coman waste my time on someone that can't hear very well from a fantastically corrupt country grin
Rekyz:
When we had presidents who were full of life. Today we see lifelessness all over.
Trutherme:

A confirmed dictator who did far better than your confirmed President.

Continue to be in denial of history and great moments.

Wow....it is sad that they don't teach history in Nigeria...or that Nigerians are blind to history.

1.IBB was considered worthy of a state visit in 1989 because at the time there was a superpower called the USSR. And the USSR had a lot of influence in Africa. Hence the West needed to counter that influence....to secure access to raw materials, etc.

2.Also, in 1989, South Africa was a pariah state. Hence Nigeria became far more important than it is.

3.IBB was a dictator. A very wicked dictator. Let's count the ways

-Established the SSS (now DSS)....under whose regime opponents dissapeared into jails
-Brutally supressed student riots in 1986. Lots of students died. 22 in ABU Zaria, alone. Thanks to the Army and MOPOL moving in on HIS orders.
-Allowed religious crisis to fester in Nigeria.(between 1986-88 there were several religious crisis in Nigeria...including 1987 when Zaria , Kaduna state was on fire. 130 churches burnt)...
-Entered us into OIC (Organisation of Islamic confrence)..without discussing it with the AFRC (Ebitu Ukiwe, the former Second in Command ended up resigning as a result)
-Dele Giwa died under his watch...possible collusion from the SSS and millitary intelligence
-Executed 9 supposed coupists in 1986 (including his one time best friend Mammman Vasta).
-Worsened the economy with things like SAP, and also started all this black market in foriegn currency(before 1986...Nigeria had one exchange rate...until IBB brought in SFEM....which mutated into the parallel exchange rates we have today).
-Wrecked our education sector...making it worse.
-Under his regime..the health sector got worse...it was bad...but it got worse.
-Masterminded a transition programme that ended with the denial of MKO Abiola's mandate (and no, I don;t think MKO was what Nigeria needed...he was as corrupt as IBB..and was IBB's good friend and collaborator...but let's be honest...democracy is democracy..which is why I have respected the result of every vote since 1999...even though I hate both APC and PDP)
-Mass looting, corruption, etc...happened under his watch.

That the fact that you guys feel mad about APC winning in 2015...and Buhari....makes you whitewash IBB just because of a few good and nice pictures of IBB with the Queen...is really sad. Nigeria under IBB was in all sorts of trobule. And when he left power in 1993...he left us in crisis...which maximum dictator Abacha manipulated to take over in 1993...to spend 5 more years in deep sh**...until Fate intervened to save us from permamnet dictatorship.

And Nigeria was a mess back then. The US had us listed as a drug trafficking nation. And it was in 1989...the year of this visit...that 419 crimes began in Nigeria.

Don't justify evil Of any kind.

Yes, APC is no good. But IBB was no better.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2019
Op, you are the man. This is it. If felt as if I bought a full -color magazine for a few kilobytes.

This is what this crazy site should be like .

The Queen is still waxing strong in spite of her age while the then visitor who is obviously younger is almost in a vegetative condition.
I doubt if Her Majesty or the British Government can ever accord this kind of dignity and respect to any Nigerian ruiners, sorry, leaders again.

IBB : the Nigerian Number 10 - self-acclaimed evil genius. Respect Sir!

This life....
Inside this life....
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Trutherme: 5:30pm On Sep 30, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

[s]Wow....it is sad that they don't teach history in Nigeria...or that Nigerians are blind to history.

1.IBB was considered worthy of a state visit in 1989 because at the time there was a superpower called the USSR. And the USSR had a lot of influence in Africa. Hence the West needed to counter that influence....to secure access to raw materials, etc.

2.Also, in 1989, South Africa was a pariah state. Hence Nigeria became far more important than it is.

-Established the SSS (now DSS)....under whose regime opponents dissapeared into jails
-Brutally supressed student riots in 1986. Lots of students died. 22 in ABU Zaria, alone. Thanks to the Army and MOPOL moving in on HIS orders.
-Allowed religious crisis to fester in Nigeria.(between 1986-88 there were several religious crisis in Nigeria...including 1987 when Zaria , Kaduna state was on fire. 130 churches burnt)...
-Entered us into OIC (Organisation of Islamic confrence)..without discussing it with the AFRC (Ebitu Ukiwe, the former Second in Command ended up resigning as a result)
-Dele Giwa died under his watch...possible collusion from the SSS and millitary intelligence
-Executed 9 supposed coupists in 1986 (including his one time best friend Mammman Vasta).
-Worsened the economy with things like SAP, and also started all this black market in foriegn currency(before 1986...Nigeria had one exchange rate...until IBB brought in SFEM....which mutated into the parallel exchange rates we have today).
-Masterminded a transition programme that ended with the denial of MKO Abiola's mandate (and no, I don;t think MKO was what Nigeria needed...he was as corrupt as IBB..and was IBB's good friend and collaborator...but let's be honest...democracy is democracy..which is why I have respected the result of every vote since 1999...even though I hate both APC and PDP)

That the fact that you guys feel mad about APC winning in 2015...and Buhari....makes you whitewash IBB just because of a few good and nice pictures of IBB with the Queen...is really sad. Nigeria under IBB was in all sorts of trobule. And when he left power in 1993...he left us in crisis...which maximum dictator Abacha manipulated to take over in 1993...to spend 5 more years in deep sh**...until Fate intervened to save us from permamnet dictatorship.

And Nigeria was a mess back then. The US had us listed as a drug trafficking nation. And it was in 1989...the year of this visit...that 419 crimes began in Nigeria.

Yes, APC is no good. But IBB was no better[/s].
Rubbish. Wasn't this current president a dictactor? If so, list his flaws too.

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Tonnyray: 5:55pm On Sep 30, 2019
PoliticalWitch:

Wow....it is sad that they don't teach history in Nigeria...or that Nigerians are blind to history.

Yes, APC is no good. But IBB was no better.
Wow! You are a true custodian of history.
This was exactly how things panned out. Kudos bro.
It's a pity history has been expunged from the current educational curriculum but then is the present generation ready or willing to learn?

3 Likes

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 30, 2019
Trutherme:

Rubbish. Wasn't this current president a dictactor? If so, list his flaws too.

Buhari was a dictator. He was wrong to have overthrown the civillian government of Shagari in 1983...and was wrong to have put a lot of polticians and people in jail sans due process

And no, I did not vote for APC in 2015 or 2019...and don't intend to in my life. Neither would I vote for PDP either.

Buhari was bad....and so was IBB when he was in power. Maybe you were too young to remember. I'm old enough to remember.

I don't like governance in Nigeria. It is sad that we cannot seem to get it right. It is either we bring in old retirees or young incompetents.

You cannot call Buhari a dictator, and then praise IBB who was as much a dictator as Buhari ever was...only with a smile.(Oh and one other thing IBB loved doing...closing newspaper houses for over 3 months...eg closed National Concord in 1992 because they published an article asking if he had given up).

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Hedonisco: 5:58pm On Sep 30, 2019
ajebuter:

Chai...

See grace

See class..

We were once respected as a nation..

Yes... Grace... Class... Panache... Attributes that the animal called Buhari lacked even then and now. Buhari in 1984 engineered not only a recession for Nigeria, but also a pariah-rization of Nigeria by Britain and other Western powers. Same barbaric fool called Buhari ill-advisedly tried to kidnap Nigerians in the UK (and put them in crates) to forcefully bring them to Nigeria....e.g Umaru Dikko. These kinds of Bushman antics alienated Buhari and his useless government from the British and Western authorities. Nigeria's foreign relations with them was strained until the more urbane, graceful and polished (albeit crafty) IBB took over.

Now, more than 30 years later, the story is far worse with the same bastard called Buhari in power. It is no coincidence.

2 Likes

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Hedonisco: 6:08pm On Sep 30, 2019
engrchykae:
we never had respect in their eyes in the first place.
buhari stood up to the slavemasters and matched them force to force,they detained our airline,we detained theirs.
then they supported ibb their houseboy to unseat buhari and mess up our naira by borrowing money from imf and devaluing our money by imf terms.
they see us as slaves who must be ruled by a stooge who must do british bidding.
God will remember ibb's disservice to nigeria,a traitor.
its funny that this same ibb who worked with the british against national interest killed many soldiers under the guise of treasonable felony.
i dont like buhari because he is tribalistic to a fault but he is patriotic at least to a select nigerians but ibb is a felon,a villain,a beast of no nation,a madman who killed our military by stopping their routine trainings because he suspected they might overthrow him during such trainings.
a tank the british refused to buy is what the witch of a margareth thatcher made him purchase for nigeria.
the british refused the vickers ,opting for the challenger which i believe is the better tank but ibb,a beast of no nation woulkd buy it for nigeria.
Will you shut up. Buhari did what? Bloody Buhari/APC apologist without common sense.
Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by juman(m): 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2019
The military armed robbers.
Very useless generals.

1 Like

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 30, 2019
Hedonisco:

Yes... Grace... Class... Panache... Attributes that the animal called Buhari lacked even then and now. Buhari in 1984 engineered not only a recession for Nigeria, but also a pariah-rization of Nigeria by Britain and other Western powers. Same barbaric fool called Buhari ill-advisedly tried to kidnap Nigerians in the UK (and put them in crates) to forcefully bring them to Nigeria....e.g Umaru Dikko. These kinds of Bushman antics alienated Buhari and his useless government from the British and Western authorities. Nigeria's foreign relations with them was strained until the more urbane, graceful and polished (albeit crafty) IBB took over.

Now, more than 30 years later, the story is far worse with the same bastard called Buhari in power. It is no coincidence.

Now, I am not a fan of Buhari...and god knows I regard his takeover in 1983 as the wrong thing...plus he was not economically innovatve then as now (extreme protectionisim, border closures...deja vu)

That siad

1.Buhari did not engineer the recession. The recession of the 1980's started in October 1982...when the price of oil crashed by over 20 dollars per barrel...ending the oil boom which had started in October 1973. By early 1983 Shagari was calling for austerity. If Shagari had not been overthrown by Buhari, Nigeria would have been remembering the 1980's as 'Shagari's bad years'.

Likewise, Buhari was not responsible for the recession we face now. That started in 2014 when GEJ was in power...again due to the crash in oil prices. By January 2015, Okonjo-Iweala was warning that whoever won that year's election, Nigeria was going into recession.

2.Buhari's kidnapping of Dikko was wrong , but then again Dikko was not a nice man (as one of Shagari's ministers, he denied that Nigerians were suffering under the worsening economy, and was also corrupt as well.) . Plus Dikko was the only one who was the target of the kidnap by the way. No other Nigerian , including Akinloye Adisa (NPN chair who was involved in looterocrat scams....and who branded bottles of champagne in his own name at government expense) was so targeted.

3.IBB was a dictator as bad as Buahri was...with corruption added on (it is even rumored that the reason why he overthrew Buhari was because he IBB was about to be investigated for corruption activities. When IBB took over he detained indefinetly the Nigerian Security Organisation officer , who was a Northerner by the way...charged with investigating him,...indefintely.) I have written up thread how bad IBB was....I will add that he also detained ZakZakky indefinetly till 1989...and also closed Newspaper houses indefintely.

4.That IBB was wined and dined by the UK had a lot to do with the Cold War realities of the time than with anything about Nigeria being 'respected'. Infact, the BBC at the time was very critical of our millitary government., Nigeria was a pariah state as far as the USA was concerend re drug trafficking,and many people were very very poor. And South Africa was a pariah state. The Arab world was leaning towards the Soviets.

(Back in 1988...one lecturer in the university where a relative worked had to bring in mangoes from his house to give students because many of them had NOTHING TO EAT AT ALL. Salaries were so bad that a joke used to go around then...my take home salary cannot take me home! And power supply was just as bad then as it is now. Water supply...same.).

2 Likes

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 6:15pm On Sep 30, 2019
Tonnyray:
Wow! You are a true custodian of history.
This was exactly how things panned out. Kudos bro.
It's a pity history has been expunged from the current educational curriculum but then is the present generation ready or willing to learn?

Thank you.

The sad thing is that people think that times were better then. They were not.

3 Likes

Re: President Babangida’s Visit To Britain In 1989 (Photos, Video and Memories) by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2019
Amalekki:

That was the Capone of drug dealers himself finally selling off his country to the neo-colonialists.

Rumors, dear boy, rumors... grin

In fairness to IBB, he did set up NDLEA...which cleaned up things...and eventually made the US take us serious again....now we are no longer a transit hub for drugs. Instead it is now Guinea Bissau!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senator Ademola Adeleke Plays Table Tennis For Physical Fitness (Photo, Video) / Abiola's Family Slams David Hundeyin, Calls Him A Fake News Peddler / Ridiculous Statements Made At Anambra PDP rally

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.