Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,908 members, 7,835,031 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:33 AM

Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? (1132 Views)

Is There Really Any Google Alternative?? / Are There Really Good Website Developers In Nigeria? / Is There Really Any Free Money Making Procedures Online That Would Not Entail Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by friendehis(m): 12:29pm On Nov 03, 2010
Hey guys i was browsing and making some research not quite long and came across a thread. The owner of the thread was asking if there is any datacentre in Nigeria for VPS.

What capture my interest was a reply that quoted that there is a company building datacenter in ABUJA.

Is there really any such in Nigeria or plan to be such that we need to know?

Here is the link to the thread http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7097951
Re: Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by Afam4eva(m): 12:43pm On Nov 03, 2010
I doubt there's currently any data center in Nigeria. Infact it doesn't make sense to have one in a country like Nigeria with the epileptic power situation. Most Nigerian hosts are either reseller or have a datacenter in the US.
Re: Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by amtechost: 1:13pm On Nov 03, 2010
Energy use is a central issue for data centers. Power draw for data centers ranges from a few kW for a rack of servers in a closet to several tens of MW for large facilities. Some facilities have power densities more than 100 times that of a typical office building. For higher power density facilities, electricity costs are a dominant operating expense and account for over 10% of the total cost of ownership (TCO) of a data center.[Energy Efficiency in PDF] By 2012 the cost of power for the data center is expected to exceed the cost of the original capital investment.

Check more here
Re: Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by friendehis(m): 1:52pm On Nov 03, 2010
I think agree with u guys. Nigeria is now ready for this kind of innovation
Re: Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by Mobinga: 3:33pm On Nov 03, 2010
afam4eva:

I doubt there's currently any data center in Nigeria. Infact it doesn't make sense to have one in a country like Nigeria with the epileptic power situation. Most Nigerian hosts are either reseller or have a datacenter in the US.

+1 That sums it all up
Re: Is There Really Any Datacenter In Nigeria? by naijatoday: 4:43pm On Nov 03, 2010
Glo has been quoted as having plans to build a Tier three, data center, I do not know if this is just Glo's usual Overtalk.

Glo is also planning to set up a Level 3 centre Data Centre with 75,000 square feet space to offer disaster recovery services, the first operator to do so in Nigeria. Data centres can be connected to each other using Glo 1 for disaster recovery across the globe.

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/breaking-news/56906-Shell-others-sign-with-Glo1-cable.html

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201007121104957

And as for power some of this companies are building their own Mini power plant (like dangote)

(1) (Reply)

Компания ООО "Климат Холдинг" / Manage Your Entire I.T With One Device / Hosting Of Website Tips From Web Developers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.