Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country (9559 Views)

One Of Of Party LGA Chairman Celebrating Nigeria @ 59 / Nigeria @59: Our Greatnx Lies In Our Abundant Human Capital Resources. Sen. Ubah / Nigeria @59: Fixing The Broken Nation (photo Poetry) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Chuks9000: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2019
Hnmm
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by seniwellsFX: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2019
Very well written article. Only Nigerians can salvage the sinking ship called Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 01, 2019
Waw! The only panacea to all these seemingly unending challenges is breakup. Papa awolowo made a great mistake by planning to govern one Nigeria. Nigeria is the poorest nation in the world and no thanks to the core north who rear children like chickens and abandon them to their fate once they are 3 years old. The recent islamic torture centre in kaduna was a bizzare. What's wrong with Nigeria sef? Why are we still riding on the back of tortoise when our counterparts who gained independence in same year with us are now riding on jets? Our religious, ethnic and political affiliations have divided us already.

I was expecting the OP to also mention lack of respect for the rule of law. If our government could be denting the rule of law which is the basis for our sovereignty in the face, then Nigeria has since colapsed as an entity. The issue of kidnap has become the order of the day and our government keeps downplaying it. Last 2 weeks, the nurse taking care of my mum was kidnapped in Ekiti only to be released yesterday after paying millions in ransom.

Such news would never be aired in the media because it took place in a remote part of the country where the media could not reach. How many of such heinous practices do occur daily without being reported?

The earlier we breakup from these fulanis who have been dragging us behind since independence, the better. I pay my tax and contribute to the national growth. Go to the north, they dont have any means of sustenance yet they are surrounded by natural resources. All of them depend on the south as parasites to live. Whenever a sensitive but relevant issue capable of moving the country forward was discussed in Nigeria the hausa fulanis would turn it down, even to their detriment. Recently the issue of state policing was discussed and they kicked against it because they knew they couldn't sustain it like the south because they have no means of generating income for their respective states, due to their laziness brought about by their parasitic relationship with the south. I wish yorubas had stood alone all along , we would have surpassed south Africa and india in development by now. Lagos alone was rated 4th largest economy in Africa in 2017. Hausa fulanis are not futuristic. They believe only in what they could eat today and forget about future they say God would provide for the future that all they know is today. They've forgotten that same God is a God of planning. They run overseas to build houses train children and even go for medical treatment. Had their forefathers in those countries not planned for their future, wouldn't they have been worse than Nigeria by now? I'm an advocate of breakup in this country. Let everybody bear their father's names. Enough of the baboon dey chop and monkey dey work. No thanks to Tinubu who has suddenly forgotten about restructuring the moment he joined force with the north. We were better off with our regional political system in the AD and ACN days than we are now as a ruling party. Tinubu messed up big time.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by osuofia2(m): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2019
KingOfAllIgbos:
undecided

OP, when you don blow your grammar finish, serve me my kunnu zaki

Danbroba! angry
Shege dan iska
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Merteenz(m): 11:08am On Oct 01, 2019
Thanks bro, this piece is a news commentary I wrote for a radio station where I volunteer, I'll try to post more of my commentaries on societal issues on this forum
kunlegboye:
Well composed and written article,but a good article like this shouldn't be coming once in while as during independence.
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Merteenz(m): 11:09am On Oct 01, 2019
Thanks bro, this piece is a news commentary I wrote for a radio station where I volunteer, I'll try to post more of my commentaries on societal issues on this forum
kunlegboye:
Well composed and written article,but a good article like this shouldn't be coming once in while as during independence.
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Merteenz(m): 11:11am On Oct 01, 2019
Bless up!
SOAG:
Tiri gboza to the genius that wrote this beautiful note the guy just spoke the minds of poor nigerians
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by zoema: 11:11am On Oct 01, 2019
Let Peace and Love be in Nigeria and within every Nigerian!!!
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Kwanza: 11:14am On Oct 01, 2019
Seun,
Isn't it yet time your supermods begin to respond to mails?

I have been banned from commenting on Politics section for no reason;

https://www.nairaland.com/5446380/independence-day-message-patrick-obahiagbon

And have sent like a dozen mails, no response..nothing
You guys should look into this, Please!

Lalasticlala mynd44 Dominique oam4j fynestboi MissyB3
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by helphelp: 11:20am On Oct 01, 2019
Merteenz:
It is no longer news that after 59 years of independence, Nigeria has carved a niche for herself in the comity of nations as one whose remarkable feats in areas of corruption, poverty, mismanagement of resources, political instability, insecurity and banditry stands out

Brutalities and fatalities remain a recurring feature on the nation’s political scene with several unresolved crimes littering the landscape.

With a Human Development Index of 0.5 Nigeria prides herself as one of the most unlivable countries in the world, a feat it achieved courtesy of its government doggedness in maintaining the high rate of banditry, kidnapping and other vices hoisting the Nation’s flag in the misery index.

Nigeria’s strides in the aspect of corruption is also worthy of emphasis, the giant of Africa is a giant indeed as one of the most corrupt countries in the world.

In Transparency International’s Corruption Perception Index, Nigeria proudly occupies the 144th position among 180 evaluated countries.
Another feather was added to Nigeria’s cap when she overtook India as the poverty capital of the world in the World Data Lab’s Global Poverty Ranking.

Global poverty projections released by The Brookings Institution in 2018, based on data from the World Poverty Clock, showed that Nigeria is now home to the largest population of people living in extreme poverty, with 87 million citizens living on less than $2 a day

This is a position it seeks to retain till the year 2030 as Nigeria will be home to no fewer than 110 million people living in extreme poverty if she is able to sustain the current trajectory

In 2016, when the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) era started, Nigeria accounted for just over 60 percent of global poverty. Today, it is over 70 percent. By 2030, it could be close to 90 percent. Isn’t it an honour that Nigeria remains at the frontier of leading the world to extreme poverty by 2030?

Based on the aforementioned, the signs of Nigeria’s leadership successes are now even more glaring as nearly one hundred million Nigerians are in danger of falling into extreme poverty by 2022. This startling revelation implies that despite being the largest oil producer in Africa, Nigeria is unable to translate its oil wealth into rising living standards for its growing population.

The recent cases of xenophobic attack in South Africa and Nigeria’s commendable discreet responses are pointers to the fact that the country is highly revered in the international community, needless to mention the respect accorded her passport in embassies and high commissions across the world.

In education, Nigeria has become the perfect example for other countries of the world to emulate for qualitative dissemination of knowledge, suffice is it to say, that graduates of Nigeria’s institution are leading their contemporaries in innovations, inventions and discovery, Nigeria’s robust network of cyber-criminals gives credence to this claim.

Nigeria deserves some accolades for a nation with a life expectancy of less than 55 years to have survived 59 years of peaceful turbulence, this would not have been possible but for the dexterity of her political gladiators, worthy of mention is the military junta whose incursion made a remarkable positive impact on Nigeria’s economic fortunes.

The citizen’s contribution to national under-development is also noteworthy. Nigerians are reputable for their high level of tax compliance, patriotism and civil obedience. Although Nigeria’s national anthem and pledge have become a sort of ceremonial poetry, it is obvious that Nigeria is poised for greatness.

While one is tempted to conclude that better days are now behind, the possibility of rapid positive change cannot be denied. With the right orientation and attitude, the Nigeria of everyone’s desire is possible. However, to achieve this, a sense of nationalism and patriotism needs to be birthed.

Nigeria needs to rejig her current system of governance and assess the workability of her constitution. There is need for national re-orientation to restore citizen’s trust in the conundrum called ‘Nigeria’.

A renewed industrialization drive is also necessary to cater for the teeming unemployed youths the country currently boasts of as well as to put Nigeria on the global roadmap for development.

Finally, Nigeria cannot afford to keep celebrating the production of pencils and toothpicks in a world of artificial intelligence and blockchain technology.

Some people still use typewriters in higher institutions here to study (practical classes)
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 01, 2019
an honest piece of satire...
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by GOFRONT(m): 11:27am On Oct 01, 2019
As the year dey go, Situation just dey bad oo.....Naija @59. Chaiii

POLITICIANS PLS PITY FOR US OH......Timaya
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by MANNABBQGRILLS: 11:36am On Oct 01, 2019
Mowoe:

God Punish you! Nonsense!
Seun, Mynd44 OAM4J Dominique.
Rule 2

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Mowoe(m): 11:39am On Oct 01, 2019
post=82735381:

Seun, Mynd44 OAM4J Dominique.
Rule 2
Why do i care!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Omenkata: 11:47am On Oct 01, 2019
[s]
post=82733955:

Good thread.
Slow and steady we will get to a New and better Nigeria.
We believe in her.
The destroyed foundation is being built again.
God bless Nigeria.

To achieve a great and better country, a sense of nationalism and patriotism needs to be birthed
END OF THREAD.
[/s]
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Reference(m): 11:48am On Oct 01, 2019
Glad to be back to work after a short annual leave. Flew straight to one of my operational bases in the south-south and straight into a meeting yesterday with the legal representatives of one of my new foreign clients. The meeting ended with a curious question...

'...by the way, where are you from?...

I looked at the man, his weather beaten , wrinkled face for a moment, deciding whether to accept all the stress I had shed over the past two weeks and totally waste all the time spent away from work. I just closed my folder and bade the old man and his team a good day.

Five minutes later I was on whatsapp to the UK relating the events of the meet and my friend laughed out loud saying, 'don't mind the silly man...it is my company and it is my vision...'. Very poignant.

As Nigeria marks her 59 year in existence, this is my independence experience. It is clear what the problems are. We operate for dozens of offshore companies and clients whose only requirements is for performance and best practice. More often than not their Nigerian representatives are a whole world away in very dark, dingy places in their minds and souls.

With this. Nigeria just cannot improve. I am so sorry for the peoples of this country.

Have a happy independence for those on holidays. We are at work.
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Saintp(m): 11:58am On Oct 01, 2019
All I can say from diaspora is happy independence to Nigeria and Nigerians living in it. I wish you guys can rescue the country.

Some years ago , I used to be very annoyed about this independence celebration cos it reminds me of how the country has failed but now I no send again
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2019
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Jerrite(m): 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2019
introvertme:
Every indepence day our inner literary skills comes out. grin
I'm telling you grin grin it's a beautiful piece actually
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by samuel19222(m): 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2019
Naija @ 59

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Revolva(m): 12:18pm On Oct 01, 2019
We no be third world we de fifth world now if Dem check well

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by giftedben: 12:48pm On Oct 01, 2019
If Nigeria like let it celebrate 100 years. This corrupt, good for nothing Country must divide. In Biafra i stand.
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by Softesst: 1:16pm On Oct 01, 2019
Godbless nigeria
Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by LifeOfTrigga(m): 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2019
grin grin

Re: Nigeria @ 59; Laurels Of A Third World Country by tck2000(m): 12:40pm On Oct 30, 2019
seniwellsFX:
Very well written article. Only Nigerians can salvage the sinking ship called Nigeria.
True

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Beautiful Cameroon Celebrities / What To Do If A Guy Like This Slaps You Girls Butt / What's Your New Year Resolution?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.