Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,105 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:07 PM

What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? (23261 Views)

Where To Learn Cyber Security And Coding / At 40, Can I Still Learn Programming And Be Good At It? / Apart From Programming And Coding, What IT Related Career Is In High Demand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by darealez(m): 8:14pm On Oct 02, 2019
dudebuck:
They are basically the same thing, but coding refers to the actual writing or typing of the codes, while programming refers to everything from planning, designing, researching, flowcharting, alogarithm to testing and debugging, just my two cents.
Although you're wrong, but what you had for two cents is manageable
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by backbone503(m): 8:17pm On Oct 02, 2019
Programming is the act of writing a set of instructions that guides the operation of the computer. It involves a series of processes, of which Coding is one. Coding entails the conversion of the program's Logic (Flowcart and Algorithm) into computer useable/understandable/executeable form (i.e. Machine Language).

Na the small wia I sabi be dat.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 02, 2019
Coding means writing lines of code, to create a simple software program and or websites, and all you need is some coding lessons and tutorials to become a coder. While programming means creating and understanding complex data structures and algorithms, and also analysing them. And you need a specialized degree or years of experience to be tagged as a programmer. In fact, all programmers are coders but not all coders are programmers.

I stand to be corrected, as I am not a computer science student/teacher, neither a coder or a programmer.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nickisindigo:
so hnd computer science dont know what he is saying

Go and collect your refund and return the certificate...
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Truthbites: 8:30pm On Oct 02, 2019
'owolo komi'??
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:31pm On Oct 02, 2019
sylve11:
Coding and programming are similar terms if you look at it broadly. But there exists a line of difference between the two.

Coding, in general means just writing code in a particular programming language, just some code. It could be anything, for example just adding 2 numbers.

However, programming is different than just coding. Programming is basically a broader entity that involves thinking critically over a problem, identifying the solution, deciding on right tools that would help develop the solution and then using those tools and techniques to create a solution that solves the problem at hand.

In reality, coding is actually an important part of programming.

So to sum up, programming is the process of designing a solution to a problem, and coding is a part of this process................. cool

The process of plan, designing, implementing ,testing and deploying a complete software solution is called software engineering.

Programming and coding are the same in practice and they both fall under the implementation stage of the Software development lifecycle (SDLC).

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by defemz(m): 8:32pm On Oct 02, 2019
They do not mean the same. To a non programmer, the two are more or less the same. But a well grounded computer programmer knows that one is a subset of the other.
Programming requires a lot more knowledge, experience, and various skills to pull off than coding.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by mrkunlex(m): 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
People often confuse coding and programming and use these two terms interchangeably. Let’s just get this out of the way now — they’re not the same thing, and in fact, they are quite different.
The purpose of this article is to define both of these terms clearly, so there can be no mistake, and find out what the difference is between coding and programming.

Coding vs. Programming - Definitions
At the most basic level, programming is a broader discipline whereas coding is a narrower one.
Coding involves writing many lines of code in order to create a software program. Programming involves not only coding but also other tasks, such as analyzing and implementing algorithms, understanding data structures, solving problems, and more. Programmers are typically technically-minded and have strong analytical skills.
To put it simply, all programmers are coders but not all coders are programmers. Some experienced programmers use the word “coder” as jargon that refers to a beginner (junior) software developer.

Continue Reading Here: https://info.jkcp.com/blog/coding-vs-programming

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by LastDays777: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nickisindigo:
programming is the act

coding is the language

Lol, I can't tell if you are just trolling or serious cheesy
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
iammuhd1:
Coding means writing lines of code, to create a simple software program and or websites, and all you need is some coding lessons and tutorials to become a coder. While programming means creating and understanding complex data structures and algorithms, and also analysing them. And you need a specialized degree or years of experience to be tagged as a programmer. In fact, all programmers are coders but not all coders are programmers.

I stand to be corrected, as I am not a computer science student/teacher, neither a coder or a programmer.

How can you code without understanding algorithms and data structures? Writing code is in itself development of algorithms using data structures.

When you use an array or a list you have used a data structure. When you implement a simple program that says hello world ,you just designed an algorithm

1 Like

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 02, 2019
MountainView:

Lolz Professors in different fields do go wrong talk less of an unknown mother fucker like you.

Lol that was brutal... The guy self no dey hear word. cheesy grin
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by GeneralShepherd(m): 8:35pm On Oct 02, 2019
dudebuck:
They are basically the same thing, but coding refers to the actual writing or typing of the codes, while programming refers to everything from planning, designing, researching, flowcharting, alogarithm to testing and debugging, just my two cents.

That would be software engineering not programming. Coding and programming are one and the same
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Ronline(m): 8:36pm On Oct 02, 2019
wonuks:
See below
Your head is there guy...
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by justli: 8:38pm On Oct 02, 2019
I see most people say programming is synonymous to coding, but that is somehow not true

Someone who writes html codes or SQL is coding but not programming.

Programming is more specific, writing codes for any of the known languages like Python , Java and co.

To help you understand, someone who designs a website might not be a programmer even though he does lot of coding.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Xclusiveme: 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nickisindigo:
programming is the act

coding is the language

Its vise versa bro.
Programing is the language
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Isoduwa(m): 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2019
Biritiko:

It’s people like you that will call anyone with a laptop yahoo boy.
Wetin concern programmers or coders with yahoo?

See them itk
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Xclusiveme: 8:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
So this Op doesn't know how to use the google
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by cumix: 8:42pm On Oct 02, 2019
I will advise Nigerians and Africans to look up to DevOps as a career opinion in IT, this is a methodology that automates software development and the operations in IT, in other words, a DevOps Engineer, builds, test, releases software faster and more reliably

If you are interested in becoming a DevOps Engineer hot me up at olsunkle@gmail.com
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by trustedward(m): 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2019
Leave all d grammars, they re thesame thing
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by IamCharles123: 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nickisindigo:
programming is the act

coding is the language
U talk this one o
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Biritiko: 8:55pm On Oct 02, 2019
Isoduwa:

See them itk
Stfu
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Isoduwa(m): 8:57pm On Oct 02, 2019
Biritiko:

Stfu

Come here

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by stanwheellz(m): 9:05pm On Oct 02, 2019
Please

Please

Coding and programming are the same

I have read all those forming intellegence with google aid.

A coder or programmer irrespective of the type of language they use do exactly same thing.

They go thru a software development life cycle known as software engineering.

They handle same critical scientific approach in the TECHNOLOGY WORLD.
be it high or low level languages they write from html javascript php java python c++ c# .

A coder is a programmer.

STOP THE UNNECESSARY ENGLISH
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by brushesz: 9:06pm On Oct 02, 2019
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Oct 02, 2019
donsheddy1:
He just told you they're same. What other explanation do you want? Google is your best bet right now.

don't mind him... he will not go and read his books for exams, na NL u want expo abi
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by jossydee1: 9:20pm On Oct 02, 2019
lagoskind:

It's just the use of different terminologies. Programming is the same thing as coding, vice versa. A programmer writes codes or programs, a coder writes programs or codes...

It's just a New School thing by young programmers to call themselves coders...

YOU HAVE ANSWERED RIGHTLY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Harnny(m): 9:24pm On Oct 02, 2019
You write code with the purpose of programming a system.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by webngnews: 9:29pm On Oct 02, 2019
Oh
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by SamOgasco(m): 9:32pm On Oct 02, 2019
I'm here to read and to learn as well. So keep them coming.

Thank you.
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by abbey621(m): 9:37pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nigerians love arguing unnecessarily...There's no difference between the two, a programmer writes codes which serves as a set of instructions or path. A coder writes code which does exactly the same thing. Anybody can be called a coder, anybody can be called a programmer, your actual skill set can vary greatly based on the industry that you are in; for example, a person with a certificate in medical billing and coding can be called a coder, while a computer scientist/software enginer can be called a programmer but make no mistake, they are not mates!
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Asapchris(m): 9:40pm On Oct 02, 2019
dudebuck:
You said it all bro.

In additions coding is the act of giving computer an instructions to follow while programming is like thinking about problems and how to solve then with code through an applications. For examples Coding is, you already have a plan and implementing the plan... And Programming is, thinking of what to do, make a plan, implementing the plan (coding) and executing the plan ( programs)
Re: What Are The Differences Between Programming And Coding? by Kokaine(m): 9:54pm On Oct 02, 2019
donsheddy1:
He just told you they're same. What other explanation do you want? Google is your best bet right now.
you took these words straight out of my mind.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Do You Earn As A Developer Per Month? / PHP Or Coldfusion: Which Is Better? / Which Programming Language Should He Go For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.