Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) (58877 Views)

Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) / Viral Slangs, Sensations That ‘spiced’ 2021 / 10 Slangs Only A Nigerian Can Understand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by KingWarri: 5:38pm On Oct 03, 2019
10000followers:
These slangs would be hard to explain to a non-Nigerian.

Every country has unique traditions as well as slangs, which are spoken throughout the country. In Nigeria, there are slangs unique to secondary schools, university life, and even regions of the country. Foreigners might have a hard time understanding these slangs and locals might have a hard time explaining them. Here are a few of the slangs unique to Nigeria street life.

1. Ehen!

This exclamation has different interpretations, depending on the context in which it was used. It could mean "I get it", "and so?" "yes", "okay", "continue", "as i was saying", "that reminds me", etc.

*Credit*-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikWJnVxd4Es

2. Jara

Jara is a noun derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for, at the seller's discretion. E.g. "Please add jara".

3. Osha pra pra

This salutation is used when one is praising another, which is loosely translated to mean "you are dope!". It is mostly used in the street to hail/greet a friend or acquaintance who is passing by.

4. Ajebutter

Ajebutter, ajebo, 'bota' or 'botti', simply refers to one who is born with a silver spoon. It can be loosely translated to mean "bourgeoisie". E.g. "That babe is an ajebutter".

5. Lepa/Orobo

Lepa is a noun that refers to a sexy slim woman. E.g. "That lepa babe is hot". Orobo is loosely the opposite of lepa. It refers to a sexy plump/ thick woman. It can also be used as a derogatory remark.

6. Ashewo

This noun is a slang for sex workers. It can also be a derogatory term.

7. Amebo

This word is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or spread gossip and cannot be trusted. It can also be used to refer to gossip itself. E.g. "You too like amebo" or "That girl is an amebo".

8. Abi/shey/ba

Abi, shey or ba are slang that act sort of like punctuation. They are mostly used for confirmation after a statement, thereby turning it into a question. They are like the English "right?" E.g. "You are coming for my party, abi/shey/ba?"

9. Over-sabi

This is a noun referring to someone who is a busy-body, or mocking someone who over-performs his/her intelligence/knowledge. E.g. "I did not ask you, over-sabi."

10. Kolo

This verb means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context. E.g. "He don kolo".
Credit-

In addition to the your list

Mumu = fool

Commot = remove/leave

Ikebe = female ass

Kpekus = pvssy

Lego = kick the bucket

Crash = sleep

Kporkpor = police

Pikin = child

Wetin = what

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 03, 2019
10000followers:
These slangs would be hard to explain to a non-Nigerian.

Every country has unique traditions as well as slangs, which are spoken throughout the country. In Nigeria, there are slangs unique to secondary schools, university life, and even regions of the country. Foreigners might have a hard time understanding these slangs and locals might have a hard time explaining them. Here are a few of the slangs unique to Nigeria street life.

1. Ehen!

This exclamation has different interpretations, depending on the context in which it was used. It could mean "I get it", "and so?" "yes", "okay", "continue", "as i was saying", "that reminds me", etc.

*Credit*-

2. Jara

Jara is a noun derived from the Yoruba language and it means to add extra or give a freebie after something has already been bought or paid for, at the seller's discretion. E.g. "Please add jara".

3. Osha pra pra

This salutation is used when one is praising another, which is loosely translated to mean "you are dope!". It is mostly used in the street to hail/greet a friend or acquaintance who is passing by.

4. Ajebutter

Ajebutter, ajebo, 'bota' or 'botti', simply refers to one who is born with a silver spoon. It can be loosely translated to mean "bourgeoisie". E.g. "That babe is an ajebutter".

5. Lepa/Orobo

Lepa is a noun that refers to a sexy slim woman. E.g. "That lepa babe is hot". Orobo is loosely the opposite of lepa. It refers to a sexy plump/ thick woman. It can also be used as a derogatory remark.

6. Ashewo

This noun is a slang for sex workers. It can also be a derogatory term.

7. Amebo

This word is used to refer to a person who likes to gossip or spread gossip and cannot be trusted. It can also be used to refer to gossip itself. E.g. "You too like amebo" or "That girl is an amebo".

8. Abi/shey/ba

Abi, shey or ba are slang that act sort of like punctuation. They are mostly used for confirmation after a statement, thereby turning it into a question. They are like the English "right?" E.g. "You are coming for my party, abi/shey/ba?"

9. Over-sabi

This is a noun referring to someone who is a busy-body, or mocking someone who over-performs his/her intelligence/knowledge. E.g. "I did not ask you, over-sabi."

10. Kolo

This verb means to go crazy or mad. This can mean literally or metaphorically depending on the context. E.g. "He don kolo".
Credit-

Wat of sharp sharp
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by jeph19(m): 6:31pm On Oct 03, 2019
Gideoniteprime4:
how about ``shenkens``?

It is very used here in warri.. It means a young sexy lady
What of Haba....anyone?
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by jeph19(m): 6:32pm On Oct 03, 2019
sugarsoul:
what of kukuma? what does that one mean? as in when someone goes "you kuku/kukuma know that my own no hard"
Kukuma na finally
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by kogi2010: 6:57pm On Oct 03, 2019
go to other African countries dey are trying to copy us
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by letitrainnow(m): 7:02pm On Oct 03, 2019
What language is it derive from?
RealLordZeus:
Jara is not Yoruba
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by RealLordZeus(m): 7:09pm On Oct 03, 2019
letitrainnow post=82811083[code:
[/code]]What language is it derive from?
Hausa! Yoruba language has so many derived words eg Alubarika, Alaafia etc
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by arrestdarrester: 8:14pm On Oct 03, 2019
cassidy1996:
na so we go dey, dey!

Abeg dey your dey, make I dey my dey

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by arrestdarrester: 8:14pm On Oct 03, 2019
jeph19:

Kukuma na finally

Yes Ooo...kukuma!
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Lovelyn451(f): 8:50pm On Oct 03, 2019
SEGLIZ:

if járá is not Yoruba, what then it?
if u like put tonal Markings under too, na hausa word!!..
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by drmikeadams(m): 8:58pm On Oct 03, 2019
Las las we go dey alright
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by psucc(m): 8:59pm On Oct 03, 2019
De oda rum
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Lamanii22(f): 9:01pm On Oct 03, 2019
Wagbayii
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by frikpus: 9:21pm On Oct 03, 2019
You didnt add Too which means okay.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Super1212: 9:27pm On Oct 03, 2019
Receive sense
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by extremelygolden: 9:29pm On Oct 03, 2019
@Op, let me add more:

1. Gbe body e
2. As e dey hot
3. My padi
4. Stew
5. Mumu
6. Mugu
7. Maga
8. No be here (as in the guy hans no be here)
9. I go wuz you
10. Your head dey there, Op.

To mention but a few.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by iSlayer: 9:34pm On Oct 03, 2019
This shit don't fly in my city.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by incentive: 9:45pm On Oct 03, 2019
Interesting
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by JonOlive: 9:48pm On Oct 03, 2019
Firstly, the word 'slang' has no 's' in its plural. Slang is slang no matter the 'quantity'.
Secondly, I'd like to highlight few other words, phrases etc which Nigerians have exclusively made their own -to give a diff meaning other than their real/original English meaning/import
1. Flash me. In naija, this means to ring someone and stop before the call is picked. Meanwhile to flash, in the UK means to raise one's skirt and reveal d undies in a split second to someone
2. You tried. This in England would simply mean that you only made an attempt. In Naija, it means that you performed so well.
3. I am coming. Nigerians say this when they mean 'i will be back'.

1 Like

Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by SEGLIZ: 10:01pm On Oct 03, 2019
Lovelyn451:
if u like put tonal Markings under too, na hausa word!!..

sis na fight?
wetin I no know na him I ask o.
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by Tomiwa69(m): 11:44pm On Oct 03, 2019
RealLordZeus:
Jara is not Yoruba
Dey av started ooooo
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by kyutepanda(f): 2:14am On Oct 04, 2019
[quote authort=RealLordZeus post=82800416]Jara is not Yoruba[/quote]
Eggzactly
Re: 10 Slangs Only Nigerians Can Understand (hilarious) by 9jaRealist: 8:10am On Oct 04, 2019
Abegi, “Ashewo” has been popularized all over Africa and beyond by Flavor’s song... cheesy

Also “Oga” has become a standard moniker for Nigerian men all across the continent.

Do not underestimate the cultural influence of Nollywood, many of our slangs have gone ‘global’!

>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This Giant Sea Turtle Was Caught In Imo River (Pictures) / Unfulfilled Dreams Of Jessica Elvis, Late Nigerian Prostitutes' President / Heartbroken Monkey Cries After Her Child Collapsed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.