Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,468 members, 7,819,712 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:31 PM

Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance (21868 Views)

Number Of Kidnap Victims Per State From July 2022 To June 2023 / INEC Reveals Number Of New Online Voter Registrations Per State / PDP’s $3m Per State Cash-For-Vote Plot Revealed - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by 5opy: 8:20pm On Oct 03, 2019
I support this laudable motion in totality, it will go a long way to serve this nation the woes of feverous spending to this so called Senators and it should be in part time bases too. I rest my case.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by ogawisdom(m): 8:29pm On Oct 03, 2019
Let them scrap the house of rep n leave the Senate the way it is
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by kingteaser619(m): 8:33pm On Oct 03, 2019
To me the senate should be removed as a whole and leave house of representatives. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Back2Daura(m): 8:41pm On Oct 03, 2019
omenka:
Never going to work.

We will end up in a situation where a particular ethnic group perpetually dominates others within the state, in a similar fashion they do governorship. This would simply birth another round of political upheavals to add to all that we are already contending with.

These legislators know the truth but they keep skirting around it: Simply cut back on your salaries and allowances if you are sincerely looking for a way to cut back on your expenditure. This is alot more practical and pragmatic than what is being proposed here which would even require a constitutional ammendment!

Let me summarise your fear. There will still be zoning like in the case of governors
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Rizan3349: 8:50pm On Oct 03, 2019
I really suport this . How i wish this will be implemented over night .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Afamed: 8:51pm On Oct 03, 2019
madenigga:
North no go ever agree.

The north would never allow anything that will change the status quo, instead to them let Nigeria remain stagnant than for it to change
Ignorant, but the smallest state in Nigeria has the same number of senators (3) to the biggest state now.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Stanweezy(m): 8:55pm On Oct 03, 2019
omenka:
Never going to work.

We will end up in a situation where a particular ethnic group perpetually dominates others within the state, in a similar fashion they do governorship. This would simply birth another round of political upheavals to add to all that we are already contending with.

These legislators know the truth but they keep skirting around it: Simply cut back on your salaries and allowances if you are sincerely looking for a way to cut back on your expenditure. This is alot more practical and pragmatic than what is being proposed here which would even require a constitutional ammendment!

You are wrong bro, if such bill is implemented I doubt if political parties will field candidate from the same zone for governorship and senate.

I propose two senators per state so that if one zone get governorship the remaining two will take senate.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Truthbites: 9:07pm On Oct 03, 2019
And yet u born over 6 children..like we don't know ur budget for those children
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Truthbites: 9:07pm On Oct 03, 2019
Okorohausa should also reduce his expenses on his 6children
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Tantolu: 9:20pm On Oct 03, 2019
Showbby28:
Kenneth Udeh, Abuja

Senator representing Imo West, Senator Rochas Okorocha has advocated the reduction in the number of senators representing various states at the National Assembly, especially at the Senate.

Okorocha a former governor of Imo State elected on the platform of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) , made this known during Thursday’s plenary session.

He made the comments during his contribution to the Medium Term Expenditure Framework And Fiscal Strategy Paper submitted by the joint committee on finance and national planning.

He stressed that if the plan was implemented, it would help to reduce the cost of governance in the country, stating that it would further help the country maintain fiscal discipline.

He said: “This country must begin to make sacrifices; our country provides that we have three Senators, but what are the three Senators per state doing that one single senator from that state cannot do? With over 300 representatives from the states, each of them creates increased demands from the economic system.

“What we need to have under the present ugly economic situation is have a statutory representative one per state to reduce the cost of governance.

“Secondly, we need to fund the productive sector of our economy. Government is business. Our Senate must not operate our budget from an accountant’s perspective but an economic perspective

The Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, in his reaction, advised Sen. Okorocha to formulate a constitution-amendment bill to back up his contribution.

He said: “Your contribution can be translated into a bill; if you want a state to have only one senator, your contribution requires a constitutional amendment.

“You have the opportunity to present a bill to seek for the amendment of the relevant sections of the constitution that provides for three senators per state.
https://www.sunnewsonline.com/to-cut-cost-of-governance-okorocha-advocates-one-senator-per-state/

We don't even need the Senate
Must we copy everything.......National house of Assembly is enough for Nigeria....wait for the real revolution...we will get there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Seth2T: 9:30pm On Oct 03, 2019
Rochas is right on this, let the change begin with our leaders. The bill should also be amended to include non inclusion of ex governors and military generals into the senate to avoid proliferation of the chambers with recycled old politicians or risk the chance of loosing their allowances as ex governors while serving in different capacities of the national assignment.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by plasgidy: 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2019
That is not the problem, they should reduce the amount they give them for upkeeps and other rubbish reasons in other to make the position unattractive. And put in efforts to make sure that the consistent money they give them is used for the purpose.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by kayusely70(m): 10:17pm On Oct 03, 2019
Lets scrap the senate, reduce the number of reps or make them part-time as obtained in the first republic
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by ibbo: 10:46pm On Oct 03, 2019
Strawberryg:
Okorocha is advocating a move that will make him the emperor of imo state, judging from the fact that the national assembly have no tenure restriction. I will support this idea if he is also advocating for two term tenures for senators....
Not even two terms, one term of three years only should be enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Nobody: 12:04am On Oct 04, 2019
One is too much sef. We don't need those fvckers at all. Regional government is the way to go with each region growing at its pace and paying a pittance to any bloke staying in the villa @ Abuja

I feel like slapping all so-called leaders(past and present) in this country every morning with the exception of Seyi Makinde in Oyo.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Staro: 12:14am On Oct 04, 2019
If I hear
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Oyikoha(m): 1:37am On Oct 04, 2019
See im head
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by meltech(m): 4:07am On Oct 04, 2019
So okoro get sense like this? Sheeewww

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by wizelink(m): 5:51am On Oct 04, 2019
JUST LOOK AT THIS MAN. WHY DIDNT YOU THINK OF COST OF GOVERNANCE WHEN YOU CREATED MINISTRY OF HAPPINESS AND COUPLES ENJOYMENT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by deltateam: 6:07am On Oct 04, 2019
Gracealone:
Doesn't Okorocha think that it would be trouble for IMO State if he is their sole senator?

He knows. He probably wants to weld more power.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 04, 2019
To reduce the cost of governance, Federal lawmakers do not have to reduce their numbers they simply need to slash their criminally outrageously huge take home pay by at least 85%
Roachas can help reduce the cost of governance by only accept 10% of the average take home pay for a Senator.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by 9jaRealist: 7:51am On Oct 04, 2019
Sounds like a good idea - until... cheesy

You realize you are dealing with Nigerian politicians....
The 1 Senator will start to act as Alternative (Abuja-based) Gov, especially in states that are governed by the opposition.

>
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by 9jaRealist: 7:55am On Oct 04, 2019
If the Senators seriously want to cut the cost of governance...
A good place to start would to eliminate the Senate and have a unicameral (one-chamber) NASS.

>
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by themosthigh: 6:16pm On Oct 04, 2019
Levels1:

Pls i dont understand what you mean by most educated state. I need more explanation on that cause the last time i checked he was from IMO State and not from Ogun State nor Ekiti State.

That’s fake news. IMO state is more educated than any state in Nigeria. Check jamb, waec statistics etc.
Re: Okorocha Advocates One Senator Per State To Cut Cost Of Governance by Levels1(m): 9:29am On Oct 10, 2019
themosthigh:

That’s fake news. IMO state is more educated than any state in Nigeria. Check jamb, waec statistics etc.

You are a child and i cant be exchanging words with you. Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos State Government Declares May 2,3 And 4 As Public Holiday / Supreme Court Yet To Take Decision On Naira Swap Policy - Ozekhome / Customs Intercepts Arms, Military Uniform At Lagos Port (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.