Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,159 members, 7,860,145 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:45 AM

Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder (12452 Views)

Ajaokuta Steel To Supply 400,000 Metric Tonnes Of Iron Rods For Road Constructio / Enugu Moves To Restore Recreation Parks To Original Purpose / Nigeria To Sell Ajaokuta Steel Company After Spending $80bn On A Moribund Steel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 8:22am On Oct 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Technology has made beneficiation an energy efficient process...

Nigeria initially invested in mines in Liberia and Guinea until they were depleted...
Then we started importing from Brazil, but beneficiation has since proven considerably CHEAPER.

Btw, there is a wide disparity in the quality of Nigerian iron ore (even in Itakpe)...
As the Australians discovered when they ventured into Nigeria, it ranges from 32%Fe up to 70%Fe.
>

Like I said before, Ajaokuta is not energy efficient, the blast furnace requires constant electricity operate, an operation that is beyond the capability of Nigerian.

The Thermal Power Plant
The Thermal Power Plant (TPP) which is a Captive Power Plant has two turbo-generators of 55MW each with a full
capacity of 110MW. It supplies electricity to the steel plant and the steel township. The Steel plant cannot do without
constant power supply due to the types of equipment which need cooling to maintain its lifespan. The blast furnace uses electricity
and as earlier discussed if lit, it will remain on for about ten years and it needs this power to keep it on. The Ajaokuta Steel
Plant cannot exhaust the 110 MW produced. It actually consumes about 65MW. At a time, the excess was sold to the
national grid but due to non-maintenance and lack of gas, the plants do not supply to the national grid any longer. ( Sato,
2009, Ajasteel 1983; IAAP,2011)
http://www.ijmer.com/papers/Vol3_Issue6/CI3637333739.pdf

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by comodo: 8:29am On Oct 04, 2019
I don spread Mat. Make una wake me up when the project is finished.
We will, we will government.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by 9jaRealist: 8:30am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:
Like I said before, Ajaokuta is not energy efficient, the blast furnace requires constant electricity operate, an operation that is beyond the capability of Nigerian.

Ajaokuta Steel and NIOMC Itakpe are DIFFERENT entities...
Beneficiation at Itakpe has NOTHING to do with the energy efficiency of the Ajaokuta steel plant.
>
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by luminouz(m): 8:32am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Use the correct terminology when discussing technology and manufacturing subjects.

Refined oil is an industrial product, crude oil is the raw material. The word "Raw Material" hasn't evolved beyond what it was created for. Please accept that you are wrong and move on.

The same way you keep arguing with 9jaRealist?
Accept that you don't know everything.

Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Opexzy: 8:45am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Steel is not a raw material!

Iron ore, coal\coke or natural gas are the raw materials for the production of Steel. Nigeria has low-quality coke and iron ore hence the iron ore and coke will have to be imported, although coke can be replaced with the GAS.

Thanks...
Steel is a raw material to some other products, just like iron ore is to steel production.... I maintain that stand and i am sure i am very correct... Thanks once again..
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 8:51am On Oct 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Ajaokuta Steel and NIOMC Itakpe are DIFFERENT entities...
Beneficiation at Itakpe has NOTHING to do with the energy efficiency of the Ajaokuta steel plant.
>

I am well aware that the Itakpe mine is a separate entity, but as I have illustrated before the concentrate grade is of low-quality iron ore will require more energy demand, but if the energy inefficiency issues can be overcome, then I have no objection to Itakpe mine.

The Simandou mine is a large iron mine located in the Simandou mountain range of southern Guinea's Nzérékoré Region. Simandou represents one of the largest iron ore reserves in Guinea and in the world, having estimated reserves of 2.4 billion tonnes of ore grading 65% iron metal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simandou_mine
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by chukel(m): 8:53am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:

Use the correct terminology when discussing technology and manufacturing subjects.

Refined oil is an industrial product, crude oil is the raw material. The word "Raw Material" hasn't evolved beyond what it was created for. Please accept that you are wrong and move on.

guy, what is it. Stop being rigid and understand what these guys are saying. Steel may be a finished product, but it's still a raw material for production of other stuff needed in manufacturing industry
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by mathesco(m): 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
They have come with their political empty promises. If I could remember the last time Mr president mentioned anything about Ajaokuta steel Company was during his Presidential Campaign at the same venue Lokoja Township stadium canvassing people to vote APC, Now that Kogi State Governorship Election is around the corner they have come gain to deceive kogite. There is God oooooo
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by FemiMaduka(m): 8:57am On Oct 04, 2019
The firm that built the Ajaokuta complex, Tiajpromexport [TPE], is long dead. Nigeria's biggest industrial complex, never even worked.

Let us be honest, the Buhari that couldn't resuscitate Nigerian Airways CANNOT as much as put a paint on Ajaokuta.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by themanderon: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2019
What is it about this Ajaokuta that has made it almost impossible to run by the previous and present government? Is that place jinxed or what?
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 9:03am On Oct 04, 2019
chukel:
guy, what is it. Stop being rigid and understand what these guys are saying. Steel may be a finished product, but it's still a raw material for production of other stuff needed in manufacturing industry

Steel is an industrial product or component in the manufacturing industry, I have 25 years in the manufacturing space especial in supply chain and materials for large European automobile manufacturers and I have never used the word "raw material" in relation to steel or any product in the automobile industry.

Steel is usually produced on demand, the tensile strength of steel has to be agreed before supplied.
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by alexola20(m): 9:15am On Oct 04, 2019

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by geosegun(m): 9:21am On Oct 04, 2019
sulaak:
Ajaokuta Steel technology is out of date in the era of robotics and automation, energy efficiency is paramount and the antiquated Russian built Ajaokuta steel plant will not work in the 21st century. Nigeria should scrap the Ajaokuta steel plant and turn the site into a technology park for new technology such as semiconductors, biotechnology and AI.

Small automated steel plants, like the old Delta Steel plant, can replace Ajaokuta Steel.

You have to start from somewhere, young man. Learn to crawl first , then walk, then run , then you fly....you that can not manage a manual process effectively, you want to start with automation?

This is a good move from the President. It is one of the best thing that have happened in this dispensation.

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Okoroawusa: 10:09am On Oct 04, 2019
seunmsg:
I’m not convinced about this move. I remember when Deziani told us in 2012 that the TAM of our refineries have been awarded to the original builders of the refineries. Nothing came out of it and the refineries are still moribund.

They should just sell the Ajaokuta steel complex and stop wasting government funds on it. It is only private ownership that can revamp that place.
Which Deziani?

The one we all know?

And you took her words for it?

You need Chisos
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Okoroawusa: 10:15am On Oct 04, 2019
luminouz:

The same way you keep arguing with 9jaRealist? Accept that you don't know everything.
Have a nice day.
Steel is a finished product. It's not a raw material. Iron ore is a raw material
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by sulaak(m): 10:15am On Oct 04, 2019
geosegun:

You have to start form some where. learn to craw, first , then walk, then , run , then you fly....you that can not manage a manual process effectively. you want to start with automation? This is a good move from the President. It is one of the best thing that have happened in this dispensation.

But, why build a $15 billion monstrosity like Ajaokuta Steel plant, that requires multiple operational inputs such as energy, when you can't operate a simple electricity power plant.

You craw by building the energy capacity, then the logistics( roads, rail and ports), then the mines and then small steel fabrication units and finally viable steel plant. Let's learn from the mistakes of the past.

2 Likes

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by luminouz(m): 10:20am On Oct 04, 2019
Okoroawusa:

Steel is a finished product. It's not a raw material. Iron ore is a raw material

I get your point from the geographical or mining perspective.

But from a general view,some view it as the key ingredient, reactant, input without which nothing else about the product,tech,output can be produced. That's where my thinking is from.

Peace
Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by einsteine(m): 10:47am On Oct 04, 2019
White elephant project.

And this project has a labor union and pensioners, yet has not produced a single ton of actual steel.

1 Like

Re: Ajaokuta: Steel Workers Welcome Plan To Return Coy To Original Builder by Okoroawusa: 1:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
luminouz:

I get your point from the geographical or mining perspective.

But from a general view,some view it as the key ingredient, reactant, input without which nothing else about the product,tech,output can be produced. That's where my thinking is from.

Peace
Ok

Peace

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Appeal Court Sets Aside Judgment Sacking Anambra PDP’s Excos / 'Doyin Okupe Threatened To Kill Me' - Callistus Okafor (Factional LP Chairman) / Imo Debacle - PDP’s Endless Hypocrisy And Blackmail

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.