Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,756 members, 7,820,626 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:30 PM

Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing (13757 Views)

Oyo Lawmakers Dress In Amotekun Attire To Pass Bill Into Law / Insecurity: Reps Pass Motion Urging All Service Chiefs To Resign / Reps Pass Bill Proscribing Plastic Bags, Set Fine For Offenders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by udumosam23(m): 7:46am On Oct 04, 2019
Now that's the kind of bill we look forward to see.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by NinjaMetahuman: 7:46am On Oct 04, 2019
frowland:

I have prepaid meter. My bill have climbed to an average of 25k per month. But when I was using estimates, I pay nothing more than 6k/month.
Those that pay 500 to 1k per month now pay 3k upwards per month. Be careful what you wish for.
that's because they are robbing peter to pay paul.

you have been using 25k a month while they gave you just 6k. your neighbours had to bear the brunt and pay for the electricity you use. now everyone must pay equally. reduce what you use.

by the way, how is a single residence using 25k a month? do you have cold room in your apartment or something?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by ctleurocollege: 7:47am On Oct 04, 2019
Very good news
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 04, 2019
ok
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Wechi2019: 7:58am On Oct 04, 2019
Na so we the hear. Always they will pass a bill to criminalize estimated bill as if it heavens than can't be done since 7th NASS. They just want to collect kick back from the Discos and nothing more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by mercyviv(f): 8:09am On Oct 04, 2019
Gbajabiamila and co in the Rep, God bless you all. Let the Senate quickly do the needful and the executive pass it to become a law. The effect on these Shylock NEPA officials will be unimaginable!! At least, we're getting close to freedom little by littlegrin
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by executive12: 8:11am On Oct 04, 2019
NinjaMetahuman:

you have been using 25k a month while they gave you just 6k. your neighbours had to bear the brunt and pay for the electricity you use. now everyone must pay equally. reduce what you use.

by the way, how is a single residence using 25k a month? do you have cold room in your apartment or something?

Exactly robbing Peter to pay Paul. As for the 25k, it seems normal for a household with at least one Air Conditioner. The prepaid meter users that are only using 2k to 3k a month are obviously cheating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by NinjaMetahuman: 8:15am On Oct 04, 2019
executive12:

Exactly robbing Peter to pay Paul. As for the 25k, it seems normal for a household with at least one Air Conditioner. The prepaid meter users that are only using 2k to 3k a month are obviously cheating.
i have 3 air conditioners and lots of gadgets including refrigerators etc and i dont pay more than 10-12k.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by DAVE5(m): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2019
I’ll commend the government for once if this bill sees daylight

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by kokoA(m): 8:22am On Oct 04, 2019
executive12:

Haba bros! 25k is to much anyhow you look at it. He probably has backlogs of to clear that they are deducting from his recharge.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Kingofdemonss: 8:27am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:
long over due
[/s]
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Solsix(m): 8:31am On Oct 04, 2019
Estimated bill nah big scam, we just bought prepaid metre and the difference is too clear. How can one be paying bill of 22k a month??

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Nobody: 8:35am On Oct 04, 2019
In Magboro Ogun State which is one of the Satellite towns of Lagos along Lagos / Ibadan expressway, this a bad news to NEPA (IBEDC). NEPA staff never wanted metering of consumer electricity usage, they prefer estimated billing. They make money both official and dubious ways.

I thank the Speaker for this bill. The Senate and the President passage of the Bill would be another hurdle.

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Boyooosa(m): 8:39am On Oct 04, 2019
That second proposal tho cheesy, it keeps DISCOs on their heels, dem go dance tire.
I wish Lawan and Buhari do the needful sharp sharp, this is one of the major problems we are having in the commercial section, Laxity everywhere.
Make I see how Disco no go provide Prepaid meter to applicants within 30 days, If Disco staff no go prison for hoarding prepaid meter, make i know wetin cause am.
Small time now, some pple go come here come dey talk say make the three tier of the govt dey fight, shabb-ish thinkers. Dogara / Saraki dey there for four years, dem no fit push this bill forward, they were busy fighting Buhari and the platform that fielded them.
The reason we need cooperation among them most especially if they come up with good policies or laws like this...

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 04, 2019
Tonytonic:

Efcc should investigate that company asaf because na Dem b estimated bill.

IBEDC should also be investigated
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by mechanics(m): 8:53am On Oct 04, 2019
I just pray the bill will scale through and passed into law.

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Kingofdemonss: 8:54am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
post=82821824:
This is the change we voted for.
Nigeria must be great again.
[/s]
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:56am On Oct 04, 2019
hmmm..this thing go happen for this naija? n.a. look I dey oo

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by SOFTENGR: 9:25am On Oct 04, 2019
Wantedmiller:
Why not propose a bill that will criminalise your huge salaries and allowance?

That Bill that will better the life of the masses in this country will never see the light of the day.....

We then wait till the upper chambers....... The main Ogas them...... Concurs to it.

This one will take 2 years..........A nice bill but they will kill it. A lot of criminals in this country!
Don't distract attention from the criminal act performed by Discos.
If the legislators take huge salary, but work well as we expect, then we will be okay.

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Chicastle: 9:28am On Oct 04, 2019
We have been hearing all this, Nepa would still thief from the masses

1 Like

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Amudeneogu: 9:43am On Oct 04, 2019
VERY GOOD, I THINK EEDC HAD THIS.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by nickxtra(m): 9:51am On Oct 04, 2019
Wantedmiller:

That Bill that will better the life of the masses in this country will never see the light of the day.....

We then wait till the upper chambers....... The main Ogas them...... Concurs to it.

This one will take 2 years..........A nice bill but they will kill it. A lot of criminals in this country!
Common sense is not common, and you lack both
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by frowland(m): 10:00am On Oct 04, 2019
NinjaMetahuman:

All my rooms are ensuite with water heater and AC. Sitting room have 2HP standing AC, and kitchen have water heater. So yea, I consume and am happy to pay what I use. My advice is, people should be careful asking for prepaid. I have a neighbor who have to off everything and yet pay 3-4k per month. When you come to his house, you first ask if they have taken the light as everywhere is quiet. Yet he pays 3-4k for it.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Tajbol4splend(m): 10:03am On Oct 04, 2019
A very good move, I don't think the previous leadership was able to think about masses, not sure though
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 04, 2019
This guy na wa o, instead of you to applaud this noble step by d speaker, is it that your mind is made not to see anything good coming from APC? Would you have reacted same way if d bill were sponsored by PDP?
Wantedmiller:

Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by 9gerian: 10:19am On Oct 04, 2019
The law against estimated bills is so apt and would seriously impact the improvement of the power sector. Thank you Mr Speaker and all members of the honorable house.

The icing on the cake is this:

“Another bill passed was one seeking to create a bank that grants interest-free loans to students of tertiary institutions in the country.

The bill is entitled, ‘A bill for an act to provide easy access to higher education for Nigerians through interest-free loans Nigerian Education Bank established in this act with a view to providing education for all Nigerians.’

The bill stated that the provision of the proposed law shall apply to all matters pertaining to the application and grant of loans to Nigerians seeking admission into institutions of higher learning in Nigeria through the Nigerian Education Bank.”

A very welcome development. However, the framework for its implementation is the most difficult aspect judging from our culture as a people. I think the loans should factor specific deliverables that helps each applicant to judiciously use the money for education.

For instance,
-payment should only be made to institutions on the applicant’s behalf
-payments should be staggered progressively per exam (entrance, Jamb, Waec etc) or session, and subject to Applicant’s good standing all the way
-Etc

This way the system would actually motivate the students to be serious and really do well enough that they will have a higher probability of paying back.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Wantedmiller: 10:22am On Oct 04, 2019
Alapafaari:

This guy na wa o, instead of you to applaud this noble step by d speaker, is it that your mind is made not to see anything good coming from APC? Would you have reacted same way if d bill were sponsored by PDP?

and from your inner most mind.... you think you support APC more than me?

I spoke freely dear........I never condemned the bill.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by Wantedmiller: 10:23am On Oct 04, 2019
nickxtra:
Common sense is not common, and you lack both

Mr common sense........ you will soon end up like ur master.
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by moneyest(m): 10:31am On Oct 04, 2019
omenka:
For the first time, I'd agree that they're about to do something that would truly impact the lives of the average and poor Nigerians positively.

That Estimated billing is nothing but a legitimized robbery.

While at that, they should consider looking into doing something about landlords arbitrarily increasing their rents. You get an appartment today and the next year the landlord is asking that you pay extra 50000 or move out, even though no structural improvement was made on what existed at the time one rented the apartment.

Too many things that are critical to the livelihood of the people are wrong in this country, but we just prefer dwelling on frivolities.

Our problem in this country is that we have a lot of people who detests making use of their God-given brains. How on earth can you conveniently channel your frustrations towards landlords that managed to acquire properties for themselves against all economic and financial odds in this hell of a country and in the same breath absolve the govt of any blame. For goodness sake don't u know it's the govt's responsibility to meet the housing needs of its people or make provision for accessible mortgage loans which will help citizens own houses. It is their irresponsibility that those landlords took advantage truly but it is comical demanding that the same irresponsible govt that couldn't help u put a roof over ur head now helps u checkmate the excesses of the person that did instead of addressing the reason it was so easy for tenants to be taken advantage of in the first instance; You probably thought their solitary responsibility is just to enact laws and more laws while feeding fat on our commonwealth while at it.

Moral lesson: START HOLDING YOUR GOVERNMENT RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND INACTIONS
Re: Reps Pass Bill To Criminalise Estimated Billing by wink2015(m): 10:32am On Oct 04, 2019
ProsperChild:
Reps pass bill to criminalise estimated billing
punchng.com Oct 4, 2019 4:10 AM
Speaker, House of Representatives, Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila

Leke Baiyewu, Abuja

The House of Representatives on Thursday passed three bills sponsored by the Speaker, Femi Gbajabiamila, one of which seeks to criminalise estimated billing of electricity consumers by distribution companies.

When the proposed law is concurred with by the Senate and assented to by the President, it will become criminal for service providers to issue estimated bills, also known as ‘crazy bills’, issuance of which would attract either a one-year jail term or a fine of N1m or both.

The proposed law would also compel a distribution company to provide prepaid meter to an applicant within 30 days, while barring the DISCOs from disconnecting the consumer after the 30-day period within which meter should be installed.

The Electric Power Sector Reform Act (Amendment) Bill 2018, which Gbajabiamila, then as Majority Leader, presented in the Eighth National Assembly, was re-presented in July 2019.

The bill is entitled, ‘A bill for an act to amend the electric power sector reforms Act to prohibit and criminalise estimated billing by electricity distribution companies and provide for compulsory installation of pre-paid meters to all power consumers in Nigeria and other related matters.’

Leading the debate on the bill, Gbajabiamila condemned the DISCOs for whimsically issuing estimated bills on a monthly basis.

“This billing is not known by any scientific rule,” he stated.

The House also passed a bill seeking to to make Federal Government ministries, departments and agencies reserve 20 per cent of job slots for persons living with disabilities.

It is entitled, “A bill for an act to provide that 20 per cent of jobs available in all Federal Government ministries, departments, agencies and companies be distributed amongst the physically challenged persons in Nigeria and for other matters connected thereto.’

Another bill passed was one seeking to create a bank that grants interest-free loans to students of tertiary institutions in the country.

The bill is entitled, ‘A bill for an act to provide easy access to higher education for Nigerians through interest-free loans Nigerian Education Bank established in this act with a view to providing education for all Nigerians.’

The bill stated that the provision of the proposed law shall apply to all matters pertaining to the application and grant of loans to Nigerians seeking admission into institutions of higher learning in Nigeria through the Nigerian Education Bank.

Source:
https://punchng.com/reps-pass-bill-to-criminalise-estimated-billing/amp/

Nice one !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Agbakoba, Quakers Differ On China Loan ‘Sovereignty Clause’ / Recession: Quit Now, PDP To Buhari / Why I Want To Go To Senate By Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.