Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,124 members, 7,811,161 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others (18513 Views)

Those Who Threaten Nigeria's Sovereignty Will Have Themselves To Blame - Tinubu / Ghana Nigeria Trade War. The Speech That Pissed Off Nigeria's President. / Nigeria Conflict Stops Farmers’ Bid To Benefit From Us-China Trade War-Bloomberg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by dre11(m): 10:10am On Oct 04, 2019
By Sunday Ojeme

As the trade rage between the United States and China heightens, Nigeria and some major African economies may soon be caught up in the web.

The development is also being fuelled by a slump in commodity prices, which is greatly affecting exporters.

The revelation came from the latest report from ICAEW – the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales – Economic Update: Africa Q3 2019.

The report provides GDP growth forecasts for various regions including East Africa which is set to grow by 6.3 per cent, West and Central Africa at 3.4 per cent, Franc Zone at 4.7 per cent, and Southern Africa at 1.3 per cent.

The report, according to Africa Business Community, was commissioned by ICAEW and produced by partner and forecaster Oxford Economics, predicts that Africa’s growth rate is set for a sluggish pace after a disruption in oil production in North Africa and with low international oil prices in Francophone Africa.

It noted that regional GDP growth for Central and West Africa was forecast at 3.4 per cent in 2019.

“This incorporates the impact of the Nigerian economy’s slow start to the year, as pipeline damage curtailed its oil production,” the report noted.

The situation will be further fuelled by policy uncertainty, concerns over debt-landed parastatals and high unemployment in South Africa.

Speaking during the launch of the latest report, Michael Armstrong, ICAEW’s Regional Director for Middle East, Asia and Africa, said that the growth of some regions in Africa is being held back by the fluctuating price of oil.

“The growth forecast for the Franc Zone this year is 4.7 per cent, due to a structurally low international oil price environment, which continues to weigh on growth in the region’s oil exporters,” said Mr. Armstrong.

“While still expected to remain the strongest growing region on the continent, East Africa is projected to record a slightly lower real GDP growth rate of 6.3 per cent this year compared to 2018.The fact that the countries in the region are not as reliant on commodities as sources of income shields them from global shocks,” he added.

Delving deeper into the East African outlook, Uganda has a favourable economic outlook on the development of its hydrocarbons sector and GDP growth is forecast above six per cent p.a. over the medium term.

However, extended delays in oil exploration and the widening twin deficits (due to an increase in public debt and increasing capital goods imports to support the nascent hydrocarbons sector) pose significant downside risks. Uganda, in partnership with Tanzania, plans to build the East African Crude Oil Pipeline which is worth $3.5 billion.

In North Africa, the GDP growth rate is forecast to slow to 2.8 per cent due to fluctuations in oil production in Libya which compounded the effect of weak Eurozone demand on the region’s other economies.

Southern Africa is forecast to keep struggling, with a growth rate of 1.3 per cent in 2019. The region’s economic anchor, South Africa, is expected to show nearly-flat growth because of policy uncertainty, concerns over debt-laden parastatals and high unemployment. In the region’s other countries growth has been slowed by supply-side challenges, notably adverse weather conditions in the wake of two cyclones, a regional rainfall deficit and power rationing.

https://www.newtelegraphng.com/2019/10/report-trade-war-price-slump-threaten-nigeria-others/
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by cenaman(m): 10:14am On Oct 04, 2019
Wetin e mean i no read am.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by sukerefakere(m): 10:15am On Oct 04, 2019
The only war im interested in is ww3

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Minenaira: 10:16am On Oct 04, 2019
This trade war never end
Africa can't stand on her own
Nigeria and other Africa countries feeling the heat
grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by klbakare(m): 10:16am On Oct 04, 2019
meaning?
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Kyllahmc(m): 10:16am On Oct 04, 2019
cenaman:
Wetin e mean i no read am.
I read am but I still no know wetin e mean.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:17am On Oct 04, 2019
Sweeettt

1 Like

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Kendumazy(m): 10:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Ok
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by passyhansome(m): 10:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Have you. Blamed Buhari today

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by NtoAkwaIbom(m): 10:18am On Oct 04, 2019
When two elephants throw shit at each other... The grass enjoys

3 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by NwaNimo1(m): 10:18am On Oct 04, 2019
To be honest the biggest loser will be those that import steel which has gone up in price considerably.

With the continued introdution of electric cars and solar/wind technologies will impact the oil sector.

China will win in the long term.

6 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by straighttalk(m): 10:18am On Oct 04, 2019
Somebody should translate these Stories to a layman language that I can understand or relate to

3 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:20am On Oct 04, 2019
Kyllahmc:
I read am but I still no know wetin e mean.
See dem.......
Must you comment if a thread is too difficult for you to comprehend?

6 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Enoch07: 10:22am On Oct 04, 2019
passyhansome:
Have you. Blamed Buhari today
about to

14 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Commentor: 10:22am On Oct 04, 2019
When they are good it's bad for us.

When they are bad it's bad for us.
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Kingofdemonss: 10:23am On Oct 04, 2019
[s]
post=82827105:

See dem.......
[/s]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Commentor: 10:24am On Oct 04, 2019
straighttalk:
Somebody should translate these Stories to a layman language that I can understand or relate to

Price of commodities fall as result of less production (less demand for raw materials sourced from Africa) due to the trade war between America and China.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by sammirano: 10:28am On Oct 04, 2019
You have spoken, but you haven't said anything.
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Bizibi(m): 10:29am On Oct 04, 2019
Trump, trump and Trump, that man is a nuclear bomb..... He doesn't care if the trade war will affect other nations though the drop in stock prices is just market fears of his proposed trade shots against China this month.

1 Like

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by naijadrivablog: 10:29am On Oct 04, 2019
Africans are always at the receiving end (pawns) but we will plant trees to abate what USA and co caused grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Psalm2423(m): 10:29am On Oct 04, 2019
Make them free us with this useless reports joor. They can predict economic growth and they can't save their useless nation from its forthcoming depression. Nigeria won't suffer anything, these reports are false. They're solely based on oil, which can easily be countered by other national inputs like human inputs in other industries. Also, if Nigeria is sensible, she should stick to Chinese products. A nation with a bad economy is only fit for inferior goods. I don't understand why they want to import from European nations and North Americans, when our oil prices are low, and won't be able to cover the import costs.

Africans have an imitation problem, we should all stick to inferior goods, so the economy can grow. And don't quote me if you don't understand what inferior goods really means, unless you want me to explain for you.

Pardon any error.

5 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by TheWordist(m): 10:30am On Oct 04, 2019
I read am, I understand am, but I nor know wetin e mean.
shocked

1 Like

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by 1stbest(m): 10:31am On Oct 04, 2019
Commentor:

Price of commodities fall as result of less production (less demand for raw materials sourced from Africa) due to the trade war between America and China.
So, who is feeling the heat now, Americans , Africans or Chinese?
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Psalm2423(m): 10:31am On Oct 04, 2019
Commentor:

And we tend to keep importing high quality goods even on our bad economy. Somebody should go n blow up Saudi's oil wells, make 9ja see small money. grin

2 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Commentor: 10:31am On Oct 04, 2019
1stbest:
So, who feeling the heat now, Americans , Africans or Chinese?

Everybody.

Even Africans that are just onlookers.
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Foxman19: 10:32am On Oct 04, 2019
Who care can a commoner suffer than that what we are witness every day?
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by NwaNimo1(m): 10:47am On Oct 04, 2019
Psalm2423:

And we tend to keep importing high quality goods even on our bad economy. Somebody should go n blow up Saudi's oil wells, make 9ja see small money. grin

The iranians did a few weeks back......

1 Like

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by adenigga(m): 10:48am On Oct 04, 2019
NtoAkwaIbom:
When two elephants throw shit at each other... The grass enjoys

......But when two elephants fight each other......The grass suffers.

That's what is going to happen in Africa, because African economy is the grass here, USA & CHINA stand for the two elephants.

2 Likes

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Kyllahmc(m): 10:53am On Oct 04, 2019
post=82827105:

See dem.......
Must you comment if a thread is too difficult for you to comprehend?
lol kids...
Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by SoNature(m): 10:59am On Oct 04, 2019
NwaNimo1:
To be honest the biggest loser will be those that import steel which has gone up in price considerably.

With the continued introdution of electric cars and solar/wind technologies will impact the oil sector.

China will win in the long term.

As far as I am concerned, who will ultimately become the winner remains uncertain.

Although the two economies are feeling the heat, the Chinese economy is feeling it more. These are according to official stats.

The best bet is for the two countries to call a truce.

However, I don't see China taking over the US as the world's largest economy. For more than a decade, we have been hearing that China has the fastest growing economy in the world yet it hasn't overtaken the US.

America just has its fingers in every pie...

1 Like

Re: Trade War, Price Slump Threaten Nigeria, Others by Nobody: 10:59am On Oct 04, 2019
ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi, Jang Clash Again As NGF Faction Summons Meeting / APC Lists N440bn Fraud Cases Against Jonathan Govt / Novelty Match For Tinubu's 64th Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.