Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,986 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ (6175 Views)

No Nigeria Armed Forces Officer Has Attain The Rank Of Field Marshal / 2015: It’s Either A Northerner Or No More Nigeria - Farouk Adamu Aliyu / Ondo State: Nigeria Oil Producing State, NO Nigeria project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by jason12345: 4:28pm On Nov 05, 2010
DapoBear:

So let me ask my Igbo people a question. If somehow the North left, would you guys want to split from the remainder too? Personally I'm of the opinion that it would be possible to form a very good, strongly federalist state (with very weak central gov't) with the remainder of Nigeria. But I suspect that due to past history (especially events from the Biafra war), you guys would want to leave if you could.

I'd be fine with either choice, but am curious.

This question also goes to Edo, Delta minorities, Middle Belters, too. And to my Itsekiri and my Yoruba from Kwara, which side will you choose? Keep in mind that in all cases, I advocate a strongly federalist state, with constituent states having most of the power over their affairs.

you are quite smart!!!

i don't know where i would chose undecided i am born itsekiri but i feel inclined to yorubas!!!

if ever awera leaves, then southern nigeria must form because if we further separate, our economies would be to small to make any substantial impact in the world
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by juman(m): 4:30pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

even us, we are tried of this uncalled for marriage
[size=15pt] we want arewa republic as soon as possible
we are tried of southerners
yes we are really tried[/size]

auwal87:

grin Arewa Republic coming soon, Junaidu don't worry much about that, just make sure you attend our meetings regularly!

udezue:

God Bless Arewa Republic.

grin grin grin

Chief Gani fawehinmi we miss you alot. May God bless your soul.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 4:33pm On Nov 05, 2010
If Arewa leave because they cannot maintain the exploitatitive status quo, then we must immediately sit and grind out an agreement for true federalism; informal outreaches between regions/ethnicities need to begin, just in case Arewa loosen stranglehold on our development and dump it on themselves in their shiny new sharia republic.

The next concern will be how to build a very high, electrified wall that suicide bombers and other fcked up Boko Harams cannot cross. grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 4:38pm On Nov 05, 2010
Beaf:

Edo, Delta minorities will roll with true federalism. I am 100% certain the Igbo's will too (same goes for Middle Belt); the thing we all hate is this unitary system foisted on us by military regimes (a system which benefits the core North only and drags the of us rest back).

I think if you are Delta, the naive solution would be try to secede and setup your own oil state. But true federalism in which you have full control over the oil drilled from your land is a superior option, in my opinion that the naive solution (I can go into further details why, if you like.)

For the Igbo, financially you definitely want a federal state, it would suck for them moneywise to leave, since they'd then be closed out of a lot of markets. And if they are boxed out of the south-west and boxed out of the south-south, it would be really hard to earn money.

For my people, the Yoruba, I want federalism because it encourages the best people from the elsewhere in Nigeria to move to Lagos. And in general, if you can convince the best and brightest people to move to your country, learn your language, join your culture, I think it is very powerful. But of course, I want nothing to do with the Almajiri Republic because they are against federalism. All they want to do is steal money that doesn't come from their lands.

The Almajiri boys are like going out to dinner at a nice restaurant with a large group of friends. But one of your friends ALWAYS conveniently forgets to bring his checkbook or cash to pay! Such people who don't want to contribute are not needed.

With that said though, even if Nigeria completely breaks apart, I'm fine with the Yoruba standing alone. We have lots of offshore oil on our coast, the wonderful city of Lagos, and millions of talented people abroad who will have strong incentive to move back and build the land of their ancestors.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by chosen04(f): 4:39pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

why are u ppl celebrating

ain't u meant to be tell or begging us to stay like u did to the igbos angry angry angry
are the igbo more important than us

well i just want arewa republic to done fast

REMAIN BLESSED!!!!!!!!!

Did Lord Lugard miss a point?
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 5:07pm On Nov 05, 2010
DapoBear:

I think if you are Delta, the naive solution would be try to secede and setup your own oil state. But true federalism in which you have full control over the oil drilled from your land is a superior option, in my opinion that the naive solution (I can go into further details why, if you like.)

For the Igbo, financially you definitely want a federal state, it would suck for them moneywise to leave, since they'd then be closed out of a lot of markets. And if they are boxed out of the south-west and boxed out of the south-south, it would be really hard to earn money.

For my people, the Yoruba, I want federalism because it encourages the best people from the elsewhere in Nigeria to move to Lagos. And in general, if you can convince the best and brightest people to move to your country, learn your language, join your culture, I think it is very powerful. But of course, I want nothing to do with the Almajiri Republic because they are against federalism. All they want to do is steal money that doesn't come from their lands.

The Almajiri boys are like going out to dinner at a nice restaurant with a large group of friends. But one of your friends ALWAYS conveniently forgets to bring his checkbook or cash to pay! Such people who don't want to contribute are not needed.

With that said though, even if Nigeria completely breaks apart, I'm fine with the Yoruba standing alone. We have lots of offshore oil on our coast, the wonderful city of Lagos, and millions of talented people abroad who will have strong incentive to move back and build the land of their ancestors.

Your reasoning is totally flawed, shortsighted and painful. Every part of Nigeria can become economically vibrant without reliance on any of the present parts. No region needs any other for trade or development, aren't there other countries to trade with? It is such shortsightedness that is making Nigeria the directionless backwater it currently is, shackeled minds shackle development.

What Nigeria lacks is organisation and developmental institutions.

To butress my point, here is a list of mere cities that that make more money than the whole of Nigeria (GDP $166billion) combined:

All figures in $billion
Tokyo $ 1479
New York City $ 1406
Los Angeles $ 792
Chicago $ 574
London $ 565
Paris $ 564
Osaka $ 417
Mexico City $ 390
Philadelphia $ 388
São Paulo $ 388
Washington D.C. $ 375
Boston $ 363
Buenos Aires $ 362
Dallas $ 338
Moscow $ 321
Hong Kong $ 320
Atlanta $ 304
San Francisco $ 301
Houston $ 297
Miami $ 292
Seoul $ 291
Frankfurt $ 290
Toronto $ 253
Detroit $ 253
Seattle $ 235
Shanghai $ 233
Madrid $ 230
Singapore $ 215
Sydney $ 213
Mumbai $ 209
Rio de Janeiro $ 201
Phoenix $ 200
Minneapolis $ 194
San Diego $ 191
Istanbul $ 182
Barcelona $ 177
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Nobody: 5:12pm On Nov 05, 2010
www.nairaland.com/attachments/346312_NigeriaStatesMap_gif6e331b80fa53638473e664da7a0cb69d

Poster, how old is this map?

Cuz Ekiti state is no longer with Ondo State, okay?

That said, this article is utter rubbish. The North needs to understand that Nigeria is just not theirs anymore. Why stress on presidency when you can stress on getting your arewa republic? People with no priority at all.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by EzeUche0(m): 5:17pm On Nov 05, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Poster, how old is this map?

Cuz Ekiti state is no longer with Ondo State, okay?

That said, this article is utter rubbish. The North needs to understand that Nigeria is just not theirs anymore. Why stress on presidency when you can stress on getting your arewa republic? People with no priority at all.

Ekiti state should not have been created. . . Just like my home state should be still part of Imo State.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Afam4eva(m): 5:20pm On Nov 05, 2010
EzeUche0:

Ekiti state should not have been created. . . Just like my home state should be still part of Imo State.

You mean Abia? The how come you don't like Ngwas.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Nobody: 5:31pm On Nov 05, 2010
EzeUche0:

Oh really?

afam4eva:

million dollars question.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by EzeUche0(m): 6:39pm On Nov 05, 2010
afam4eva:

Yes, I mean Abia. And no one from my part really like the Ngwa. Maybe it is, because of our history with this Igbo clan. My father would say that when he was growing up in Arochukwu, you still had elders who remembered when the British led by the Ngwa sacked Arochukwu.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Onlytruth(m): 7:13pm On Nov 05, 2010
I am more concerned with what Jonathan is doing already to ensure that these northern extremists don't gain power by all means as they are threatening. I once advised Jonathan to be STRONG and nothing will happen. I still stand on that advice.
Meanwhile, those who are wondering whether an agreement can be worked out in the south should closely watch Ralph Uwechue (the Ohanaeze president) and his crew. They are already doing it.
Almajiri can't do s%^&t. We are praying DAILY for them to ship out if they can't stand the development.

Jona, abeg grow big balls! cool cool
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by MShittu: 7:39pm On Nov 05, 2010
lol@politicians
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by rethink: 7:51pm On Nov 05, 2010
First of all the Junaid Guy is an ape. He is stupidly feeding into the stereotypes that the soouthern Elites have created. This is why are argued that the Criminal Parasitic Elite will not leave Nigeria alone. They have their errand boys in every tribe. They recruit soldiers to propergate their evil schemes. They operate when they are not in power. The control indirectly. They are on Nairaland. We sell and buy all kinds of stereotypes and we painfully live with them till we die, we need to fight this mindset.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by MShittu: 7:56pm On Nov 05, 2010
rethink:

First of all the Junaid Guy is an ape. He is stupidly feeding into the stereotypes that the soouthern Elites have created. This is why are argued that the Criminal Parasitic Elite will not leave Nigeria alone. They have their errand boys in every tribe. They recruit soldiers to propergate their evil schemes. They operate when they are not in power. The control indirectly. They are on Nairaland. We sell and buy all kinds of stereotypes and we painfully live with them till we die, we need to fight this mindset.
THANK YOU!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 8:31pm On Nov 05, 2010
Beaf:

Your reasoning is totally flawed, shortsighted and painful. Every part of Nigeria can become economically vibrant without reliance on any of the present parts. No region needs any other for trade or development, aren't there other countries to trade with? It is such shortsightedness that is making Nigeria the directionless backwater it currently is, shackeled minds shackle development.

What Nigeria lacks is organisation and developmental institutions.

I'm not sure your point of cities is convincing. Basically, I'd much rather that Yorubaland have open access to markets in the East and North. The analogy is NAFTA, basically. Strongly federal, but with free trade. Free trade is good for the Yoruba, since we have by far the most infrastructure in our lands. And I want talented Igbo/Edo/etc people to keep moving West. It is basically the American/Canadian model, encourage the best people from overseas to move to your country.

Don't get me wrong btw, it isn't as if I'm saying look ONLY within for trading opportunities. I'd like for to increase trade within West Africa and internationally, as well.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by excanny: 10:02pm On Nov 05, 2010
I'm not fan of this supposedly 'southern unity' against the North. This is a false and non-existent concept. Let's stop pretending we are one.

No one should drag Ndigbo into this falsehood. The fact remains that Igbos don't give a rat's a.rse who rules Nigeria as long as he has the best programmes for us as a people. If the North floors Jonathan, fine. If Jonathan can pull it through, that will be equally great. We just dont care.

We will form alliances only with those who have dealt with us in honesty in the past and will not allow ourselves to be put into a fight that is none of our business.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by excanny: 10:06pm On Nov 05, 2010
I'm not fan of this supposedly 'southern unity' against the North. This is a false and non-existent concept. Let's stop pretending we are one.

No one should drag Ndigbo into this falsehood. The fact remains that Igbos don't give a rat's a.rse who rules Nigeria as long as he has the best programmes for us as a people. If the North floors Jonathan, fine. If Jonathan can pull it through, that will be equally great. We just dont care.

We will form alliances only with those who have dealt with us in honesty in the past and will not allow ourselves to be put into a fight that is none of our business.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by redsun(m): 10:21pm On Nov 05, 2010
Split nigeria into millions, it will still be Bleep-ed cos d mind sets are Bleep-ed up tribe not withstanding.
We are not in control.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by aljharem(m): 10:28pm On Nov 05, 2010
excanny:

excanny that why i like igbo, they are with us

why should we split from our brothers in the south east and south westcheesy
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by redsun(m): 10:51pm On Nov 05, 2010
In d abundance of water,d fool is thirsty.In d midst of plenty,pple are chronically lacking.Why?
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by chyz(m): 11:02pm On Nov 05, 2010
alj harem:

excanny that why i like igbo, they are with us

why should we split from our brothers in the south east and south westcheesy

Go chew grass you savage!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by DapoBear(m): 12:42am On Nov 06, 2010
excanny:

I think you've misread things a bit and assumed too much. None of us are proposing some sort of bosom friendship or whatever, it is more mutually coinciding interest. If your interest is in fact in seeing Nigeria continue, and you feel this is beneficial to your people, by no means is anyone including you. For example, if I were Hausa or Fulani or any of these far North groups, I'd be pro-Nigeria. Pretty much everyone else should be against Nigeria (at least, to my way of thinking.) But if you've determined for yourself that you like the status quo, so be it.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Obiagu1(m): 2:53am On Nov 06, 2010
@ DapoBear

There’s nothing like Nigeria and there’s nothing like Southern Nigeria. Igbos won’t join anything resembling Southern Nigeria if Nigeria fails except we have no other options to leave. We need no more parasites around us and we don’t dream of a “large” economy like the USA or China. A country like Israel or Switzerland that is working, progressive, happy, and thriving is all we seek for.

No More Parasites (NMP)!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Basseti: 2:57am On Nov 06, 2010
Obiagu1:

No More Parasites (NMP)!

Is that the name of ur political party ? grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Obiagu1(m): 3:03am On Nov 06, 2010
Basseti:

Is that the name of your political party ?  grin

No, it's the name of my movement. smiley
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by becomrich4: 3:13am On Nov 06, 2010
the world economy may crash if a northerner becomes president. i know southerners are going to bomb up all the pipeline. We are paying through our nose over here already with oil prices.
If a northerner becomes president, oil price would double in prices. because they would blow up nigeria production lines. And that would see the end of world economy.

We need to reach acord.
We remove edo,delta and yoruba people from nigeria.  That way Jonathan remain president of the rest of nigeria or if he want to come. We reach agreement and fine him something.
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Beaf: 3:23am On Nov 06, 2010
becomrich4:

the world economy may crash if a northerner becomes president. i know southerners are going to bomb up all the pipeline. We are paying through our nose over here already with oil prices.
If a northerner becomes president, oil price would double in prices. because they would blow up nigeria production lines. And that would see the end of world economy.

We need to reach acord.
We remove edo,delta and yoruba people from nigeria.  That way Jonathan remain president of the rest of nigeria or if he want to come. We reach agreement and fine him something.

Damn!

Abeg, if anybody here is from becomerich's village they should come and take care of him o! Winshes don tie di guy down! grin grin grin
. . ."World economy may crash!" Na wa o!
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by mensdept: 3:38am On Nov 06, 2010
GEJ will contest the election and prob will get the nomination of PDP, and then go on to win. So those AREWAns who were def and dumb when YarAdua was MIA for almost a year, and even MIA when he was selected to be prez, are NOW making noise. You can't rule and dominate a place and people that you are not superior to forever, nor cry foul when you started the whole wahala in the 1st place
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by asha80(m): 4:05am On Nov 06, 2010
Beaf:

Damn!

Abeg, if anybody here is from becomerich's village they should come and take care of him o! Winshes don tie di guy down! grin grin grin
. . ."World economy may crash!" Na wa o!

If there is a nairalander i want to meet in real life becomrich tops the bill.Mehn that guy is something else grin
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by mensdept: 4:14am On Nov 06, 2010
becomrich4:

We need to reach acord.

Why is Becomrich trying to smuggle Bendel folks with Yoruba people?
Re: ‘it Must Be A Northerner Or No Nigeria’ by Nobody: 4:21am On Nov 06, 2010
Am I the only one that doesnt take BC serious? nawa oh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribunal Sacks 10 CPC National Assembly Members / Proposal For A Country Out Of Eastern Nigeria. / What's Your Opinion On Dr. Doyin Okupe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.