Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. (937 Views)

Family Members Fighting NEPA Officials Over Cutting Their Light In Ikeja, Lagos / Robbers Who Disguises As NEPA Officials Caught, Tied And Beaten By Mob (Photos) / Angry Lagosians Tie 'juju' In Transformer, Dares NEPA To Cut It (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Nobody: 7:18pm On Oct 09, 2019
Esteemed Nigerians.

Bear with me, I've decided to trouble you with this situation. I'm well aware that it affects me and you the same.

In this part of Nigeria where I stay (Port Harcourt), if you do not want to use Estimated metre for your electricity bill, you would have to purchase The Prepaid Metre device.

I am surprised that up till now nobody has complained about this, I've been listening and nobody is saying anything. Nobody. The individuals responsible for the Electricity sector should look into this scam.

The prepaid metre device cost #38,000 for a piece. This same device would not be released until you pay fully for it, they do not accept payments in installments.

You can imagine if you are a landlord and have to install this thing for your tenants; say 15 or 10 different houses. Where would this money come from?

#38,000 a piece and then you would pay #5,000 to open an account with the Electricity department for each of this device, you would still pay 3000 connection fee!! This does not include the money you would subscribe for the device!!

Are you for real? Do you people realize that this is a ploy by this Power distribution centers to frustrate and thus discourage people from purchasing this Prepaid Metre? Because they make huge amount of profit from estimating people's light bills.

One 3-bedroom flat would be given a bill of #15,000-#20,000 a month, what and what are you using in your house?

Meanwhile they would pocket whatever change at the end, and in the area where I stay electricity supply is not constant.

The prepaid metre is intentionally made scarce so that individuals would not get hold of it and put an end to the menace of estimated bill.

They are well aware that if you buy this metre and subscribe it for #3,000 worth of power, if managed well, it would be sufficient to last even for two months.

I would not be surprised if this topic is collapsed or receives less attention, I know that there are other individuals out there suffering this same thing I just want to give them a voice to speak up! The Government should look into this thing!! It's a serious problem to good living.

Seriously, is this the same thing at your area? Are you using the Prepaid Metre? Or is your light bill estimated, how is this affecting you?

Thank you for your time.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Josnac(m): 7:23pm On Oct 09, 2019
smiley
We are Nigerians and we find innovative ways to scam each other daily.

So many things are fundamentally wrong in the country, not just prepaid meter wahala.
Every few days you pay money to dispose your dirt, at the end of the year ASEPA (Abia state) brings you sanitation bill.

The thing is that, this prepaid meter stuff, like police intimidation and extortion can never be fixed until we find viable and affordable options for power..solar is ideal but very expensive right now.

Who will you report to
Is it the oga that gets some percentage after the boys rip you off??
Or is it one of the boys who'd just play good cop/bad cop scenario with you and at the end of the day you'll still pay?
In an area where power is rationed, you'll be amazed at the huge bill you receive for a 3-bedroom apartment despite the fact that the power is never steady.

O.P, if you've got the funds..just form the mumu for them this once and pay all the fees till you can get your meter..but if you can write to National Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) copying your electricity distributor as well..with evidences, it will go a long way but na your time.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Generalnomercy: 7:36pm On Oct 09, 2019
Take it to Twitter bro.....
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by hisgrace090: 7:50pm On Oct 09, 2019
What do expect when wayo have become our way of life?
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:10pm On Oct 09, 2019
PHCN offices are not far...if this scam are noticed, the people should be able to protest and maybe burn down their office
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by carbon1224(m): 8:26pm On Oct 09, 2019
It’s funny how things work out in this country and I wish the president see to this cos you would pay 38,850 for a meter that they would be used to charge you and even before you can get one it would take nothing lesser than 3 months. Registering the new bill for the doesn’t take time as lowest 2 weeks once the fork is submitted and they won’t charge you if you are a new house the only issue I see is the interval which your kyc is responded to and there customer service neglecting your request.may god help us in this country cos the meter should be free or they charge the amount of the meter indirectly from every recharge for few years to cover it but they are not doing that and there major aim is they don’t want people to get the meter so that they can continue to bill you outrageously.
My opinion

1 Like

Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Thegoodone13(m): 9:50pm On Oct 09, 2019
Kk
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by 2shure: 5:29am On Oct 10, 2019
I prefer est. Cos me i abuse light.i on all my ac down,on iron,fan,pump,tv,blast my hifi, on vacum cleaner,water dispenser,washing machine. All at once. Nepa must free me cos estinated billing a month is 40k. I now ask myself,am i a yahoo boy. Well till i get the prepaid meter my guy i dey abuse the light well
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by capitalzero: 6:02am On Oct 10, 2019
The rule is that if you pay for meter, it must installed within 45 or 60 days after which you are at liberty to use electricity without bill. Paste photocopy of evidence of payment in the wall. If they want to disconnect you, write petition to NERC and copy them.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by ohabiam: 7:23am On Oct 10, 2019
Get ready join the the Nigerian Electricity Consumers Association, we kicking out this scammers called distribution companies by December all over the country, we have a right to constant and affordable electricity.
PM me to help in achieving this .
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 10, 2019
carbon1224:
It’s funny how things work out in this country and I wish the president see to this cos you would pay 38,850 for a meter that they would be used to charge you and even before you can get one it would take nothing lesser than 3 months. Registering the new bill for the doesn’t take time as lowest 2 weeks once the fork is submitted and they won’t charge you if you are a new house the only issue I see is the interval which your kyc is responded to and there customer service neglecting your request.may god help us in this country cos the meter should be free or they charge the amount of the meter indirectly from every recharge for few years to cover it but they are not doing that and there major aim is they don’t want people to get the meter so that they can continue to bill you outrageously.
My opinion

Exactly what im saying. These guys are intentionally making the process of getting this thing very hard. Thereby discouraging people from using it.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 10, 2019
capitalzero:
The rule is that if you pay for meter, it must installed within 45 or 60 days after which you are at liberty to use electricity without bill. Paste photocopy of evidence of payment in the wall. If they want to disconnect you, write petition to NERC and copy them.

Hello. I dont think you fully understood the complain. Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 10, 2019
hisgrace090:
What do expect when wayo have become our way of life?

Haha. Violence is not the answer to this one. Trust me.
Re: The Scam: NEPA Prepaid Metre. by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 10, 2019
ohabiam:
Get ready join the the Nigerian Electricity Consumers Association, we kicking out this scammers called distribution companies by December all over the country, we have a right to constant and affordable electricity.
PM me to help in achieving this .

Hello. Please put your contribution here. There are other individuals affected by this that would love to find out also. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING!! Governor Akeredolu Commissions The Amotekun Vehicles. / Fire Erupts In Shema Filling Station Along Kubwa Express Way / Nigerian Mam Throw Down His Baby From 2nd Floor During A Fight With Wife. VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.