Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,045 members, 7,956,891 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:42 PM

Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour (17059 Views)

Organised Labour To NASS: We’re Fighting For Living Wage, Not Starvation Wages / Buhari’s Directive On Police Salary Review Flouted 3 Times / Atiku's 33,000 Minimum Wage Not for All Staff, Only Gotel Staff Will Get It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by just2simple: 9:47am On Oct 11, 2019
shocked If Fed Govt claims that they don't have enough money to pay for minimum wage, then is now time for Senators,Rep Members, & Ministers' money to be cut atleast into three parts to enable this payment of minimum wage a reality. tongue

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by Aboks(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2019
Minimum ruga una don start again o
Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2019
Reference:

The NLC should know how it balooned from 1 to 3 trillion. Their members work in the Ministry of Finance. Their members are part of goverment so what is the pretense about. If you are exposed to the vices what stops you from making these known in negotiations. Why doesn't it make it known to the public for support.

Can the NLC claim it has not benefitted a cent from the massive increases In goverment personel costs over the past 3 years. Or what has it done to help goverment keep its expenditure manageable or it is not bothered about Nigeria going bankrupt.

If Nigeria is to get good governance the trade unions are a critical component in moderating. Good goverment is the only guarantee of minimum living standards.

Are you for real or just kidding
If you don't understand what govt body checks the executive then I suggest you learn before making comments.
Na NLC dey prepare budget? Abi na NLC be nass wey dey scrutinise budget.
When did NLC become budget office or DMO of ministry of finance to be balancing govt revenue and expenditure.
Bros, go siddon one place. The minister of labour said personnel cost increased by almost 100% in three years. You didn't call out nass or ministry of finance, you're calling NLC out!! You sound paid or ignorant. I'm still trying to place you

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by engrJAAB: 10:36am On Oct 11, 2019
Personally, I stand with the FG in this issue. Consequential adjustment as proposed by the FG is to increase the wages by about 10 - 40% depending on the grades. This is what the FG can afford economically speaking. BUT labour is asking for 67% increase across board. Let us be sincere, it wont work. Why are they not shouting on the private companies to do same. Private companies simply increased the minimum wage without any salary raise or adjustment.
Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by Nobody: 10:55am On Oct 11, 2019
Reference:
A time is coming when civil servants will have to act like civil servants the world over and start taking responsibility for the condition of this country.

If Nigeria is in a mess they are partly responsible. It is they who execute the directives of the political class without resistance and engender the bad goverments they have become victims of.

They worked in the office of Ms. Winifred Eyo-Ita for instance and processed dubious funds running into billions of naira for her perhaps getting to lick a few crumbs off the table. Then they want the common man in his village to help fight for them when nothing is left in the treasury.

This is just what I cannot understand.
Now I understand your problem. You believe the civil servants are asking for what they don't merit. The truth though is that Nigerian civil servants are one of the most poorly paid in the world. The 30k is not for civil servants alone but for all workers in Nigeria. Fortunately for them, the NLC can fight for them. Who fights for employees in the private sector?? Your assertion that civil servants should go against political heads cannot work in this country. Who's ready to sacrifice his job in the name of being a watchdog. If you can't beat them, join them it is. For every kobo stolen by civil servants, politicians have looted five times more. The elephant in the room is corrupt politicians. Let me give you another one. That balloon in personnel cost was brought about by budget inflation in 2016 in the name of spending to revive the economy. The budget was tripled then with the increase reflecting more in personnel than capital projects and people hailed. When the padding issue came to the fore, this govt shifted blame to civil servants, suspended and redeployed a few of them as face saving mechanism and end of story. Nobody asked how civil servants could have ballooned budgets without the political heads' knowledge

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by masseratti: 11:22am On Oct 11, 2019
JonDon12:
Bull shit. How can you give the lowest ranks a raise and everybody the same. Incompetence on a Nigerian level. Everybody should get at least a review and some should get raises. This is only going to lead to a general strike by workers which Nigeria can hardly afford.
not at the same % this mistake was what derailed Gej government, it has never been done before then, Nigerian budget cannot accommodate such increase, if it happens we are always back to square one it's a vicious circle.
Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by kingmekus(m): 1:32pm On Oct 11, 2019
jboixxx:

That will depend on the current salary being earned, i.e. current salary + (11% of the current salary)
if that's the case it's too small, imagine someone earning 60k and you add 7k on top, is that the adjustment Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by AlphaT1(m): 1:53pm On Oct 11, 2019
BuhariAdvocate:
This logic is very clear. Should I say labor president make a mistake. Yes labour made a big mistake but how ? Because they asked federal government to increase the minimum wage from 18k to 30k of which they thought it will reflect on other workers that earning more than 30k monthly. Federal government only want to make sure that if your salary is more than 30k before There's no any reason to increase your salary. The new minimum wage would only help those who go home with 18k monthly. But I doubt if NYSC have start paying the corps members the 30k. And I believed that labour president signed this agreement so finally government outsmart them yet they will say Buhari is dullard.
Perhaps you don't understand the dynamics of minimum wage. So if your salary was 30k on grade level 2, now someone on grade level 1 should earn same 30k salary with you abi? The govt or rather politicians know what they are doing, this govt has only one goal: impoverish the people until they become helpless and accept anything thrown at them. They increased fuel pump price from 97 to 145 NGA, now they've increased VAT by 50% which means you will pay more for electricity that one hardly sees, toll gates are coming back on death traps called roads etc...BTW this is not the first time of having a new minimum wage....why is it different now?

3 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by AlphaT1(m): 2:03pm On Oct 11, 2019
jboixxx:

That will depend on the current salary being earned, i.e. current salary + (11% of the current salary)
11% of current basic salary not current salary.
Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by grandstar(m): 5:26pm On Oct 11, 2019
Reference:

Ha. Because we donot tie our expenditure to our earnings. I am a businessman and I know how much I should be spending on my staff. It is factored into every product I make and service I render in percent terms. If demand is good I will naturally need more staff or pay better for more work, if the market is poor I reduce staff and cut benefits. This is common sense.

You must have heard job cuts in the public sector in the UK, policemen being laid off, etc. When Obama came onboard the armed forces size was massively trimmed and many military bases closed. Why is it that a consistently struggling country called Nigeria cannot cut its costs.

You have heard it N1+ trillion in 2016 to N3+ trillion today at the same time there is a recession. This is reckless. Folks have often asked why the massive borrowings despite the hype of recoveries and blockages, well this is the answer.

Goverment people have succeeded in taking legally what was being stolen previously. They have managed to increase their personnel budgets massively between 2016 and now and with little Legislative scrutiny are stealing from the public purse backed by the law.

So the catch 22 scenario for the 'common man' is simple... Cut their benefits and they steal or allow them empty the treasury legally...

If Buhari had the common sense to trim the civil service during his first term, the pain of this salary increase would have been moderated. I doubt if they would even have gotten so large an increase realising they have a no nonsense person up there. OBJ for instance was not someone to play to the gallery and was no friend of the NLC. He probably just saw them as paralytic which most unions really are.

Buhari on the other hand is a left leaning populist with no understanding of economics whatsoever. He is an economic disaster anyway you look at it.
He refused to deregulate the price of fuel when the opportunity presented itself. Rather than cut down waste, he splurged funds on the rickety refineries and the whitest elephant of all, Ajaokuta Steel Mill. His refusal to merge the exchange rate shortchanges the government of hundreds of billions of Naira yearly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Not General Salary Review, FG Tells Labour by Engrbee(m): 7:47pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bullhari must GO!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Troops Kill Over 50 Terrorists In Birnin Gwari / Buhari Opposed Removal Of Fuel Subsidy In 2011 / Bomb Blast At Bayan Gari In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.