Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Practical Christianity? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Practical Christianity? (1944 Views)

To Be Born-again: 6 Practical Signs Of Repentance / 10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 1:48pm On Nov 06, 2010
What is practical Christianity, what are the essentials of the Gospel of Christ and how do we apply the tenets of the Gospel to the betterment of our society?

If only we can LOVE sincerely

If only we can forgive wholeheartedly

And if only we can serve selflessly

If only we can practice these principles religiously, more souls will be won for Christ.
Re: Practical Christianity? by PastorAIO: 3:05pm On Nov 06, 2010
I would recommend a thorough reading and application of Christ's sermon on the Mount. These are Jesus own teachings on how to live and practice religion in an everyday way. It is not about ideology, or dogma, or some intellectual construct that some clever demagogue has fashioned to tickle the minds of equally intellectual followers. It is about living and how to live as citizens and subjects of the Kingdom of Heaven.

You can find it in Matthew chapters 5, 6 and 7.
Re: Practical Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 3:48pm On Nov 06, 2010
Unfortunately most preachers no longer teach true christian but rather man made doctrines being presented as the word of God. Matthew 15:8-9
Re: Practical Christianity? by PastorAIO: 10:26pm On Nov 06, 2010
Alas this is a discussion forum so it is quite hard to actually practice or demonstrate the practice of christianity here. All we can do is discuss and invariably what is discussed are ideas. Dogma and concepts etc etc and endless debates over theories. sigh!
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 11:34pm On Nov 06, 2010
sarmy:

What is practical Christianity, what are the essentials of the Gospel of Christ and how do we apply the tenets of the Gospel to the betterment of our society?

If only we can LOVE sincerely

If only we can forgive wholeheartedly

And if only we can serve selflessly

If only we can practice these principles religiously, more souls will be won for Christ.

Is that all? I really don't think one can realistically follow Christ's words or actions.
I think anyone who does or tries to may just find themselves in a hospital or jail.
Re: Practical Christianity? by PastorAIO: 2:57am On Nov 07, 2010
thehomer:

Is that all? I really don't think one can realistically follow Christ's words or actions.
I think anyone who does or tries to may just find themselves in a hospital or jail.

according to common sense but you'll never actually know until you try.
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 7:26pm On Nov 07, 2010
thehomer:

I strongly believe that it's possible for one to follow Christ's words, in fact the best way to live this life is to follow him

Everything he said anchor on #Love, Forgiveness and Service to humanity.

If you can work on these 3 things you will be his follower.
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 7:31pm On Nov 07, 2010
Pastor AIO:

I would recommend a thorough reading and application of Christ's sermon on the Mount. These are Jesus own teachings on how to live and practice religion in an everyday way. It is not about ideology, or dogma, or some intellectual construct that some clever demagogue has fashioned to tickle the minds of equally intellectual followers. It is about living and how to live as citizens and subjects of the Kingdom of Heaven.

Those messages on the mount are hardly preached in churches anymore.

One may wonder if they are no more relevant to Christians anymore
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 7:36pm On Nov 07, 2010
KunleOshob:

Unfortunately most preachers no longer teach true christian but rather man made doctrines being presented as the word of God. Matthew 15:8-9

You are right, but we really need the true message of Christ more than ever before.

May be we need new awakening, kind of a new movement
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 7:46pm On Nov 07, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Alas this is a discussion forum so it is quite hard to actually practice or demonstrate the practice of christianity here. All we can do is discuss and invariably what is discussed are ideas. Dogma and concepts etc etc and endless debates over theories. sigh!

Pastor, what I have in mind is if in forums like this, people can talk about how to live successfully by the word of Christ

We can highlight some of his powerful parables which are meant to teach LOVE, FORGIVENESS and SERVICE

WE can also share ideas on those sermons on the mount for proper application

Nairaland religion section should not be for endless debates only but someone should have life transformation via posts on this forum

Hope to get some inputs,
Re: Practical Christianity? by Zikkyy(m): 10:21pm On Nov 07, 2010
sarmy:

I strongly believe that it's possible for one to follow Christ's words, in fact the best way to live this life is to follow him

sarmy:

Those messages on the mount are hardly preached in churches anymore.

One may wonder if they are no more relevant to Christians anymore

Are Christians really interested in practicing sincere love? Without considering the possibility of rewards?

You first need to ask how souls are won, why people give their life to Christ. You have to understand that motive is everything. Why do people give their life to Christ? Why do people go to church, why are they at every miracle producing crusade, why the ‘nightly night vigil’? is it because  they really love the heaven talk? Is it because they fell in love with Christ Sermon on the Mount? is it because they see it as a possible solution to solving life problems? Is it because they just want to ‘belong’?

You need to first ask if a good number of Christians are truly Christians. A faulty foundation will never result in solid structure.

I am of the opinion that 'why we are what we are' actually determines how we live out our lives.

Most pastors have discovered the secret and will only sell marketable products preach sermons that align with the needs of the congregation. Chikenna.
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 3:02pm On Nov 08, 2010
Pastor AIO:

according to common sense but you'll never actually know until you try.

Have you tried or would you like to?
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 3:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
sarmy:

I doubt it. Have you been able to successfully perform miracles etc?

sarmy:

That's not all he said.

sarmy:

Carrying those acts out does not make one his follower. To be his follower, the main requirement is to believe.
Re: Practical Christianity? by PastorAIO: 3:26pm On Nov 08, 2010
thehomer:

Have you tried or would you like to?

Yes, I do have tried and I do continue to try. And I have witnessed that the measure by which I've tried is the measure by which I've gotten results.

Now you may asked why in that case I don't kuku follow it by full measure if I'm so convinced. That, my friend, is a mystery. The mystery of my gutlessness.
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 3:36pm On Nov 08, 2010
Zikkyy:

Are Christians really interested in practicing sincere love? Without considering the possibility of rewards?

You first need to ask how souls are won, why people give their life to Christ. You have to understand that motive is everything. Why do people give their life to Christ? Why do people go to church, why are they at every miracle producing crusade, why the ‘nightly night vigil’? is it because  they really love the heaven talk? Is it because they fell in love with Christ Sermon on the Mount? is it because they see it as a possible solution to solving life problems? Is it because they just want to ‘belong’?

You need to first ask if a good number of Christians are truly Christians. A faulty foundation will never result in solid structure.

I am of the opinion that 'why we are what we are' actually determines how we live out our lives.

Most pastors have discovered the secret and will only sell marketable products preach sermons that align with the needs of the congregation. Chikenna.

You are right, most christians are after rewards but I can not really blame them, if God says "come unto me all ye that labour and heavy laden and I will give you rest" if most Christians decide to follow him so as to have rest, can you blame them?

But when a Christian has tasted the goodness of the Lord and become a new person in God, the focus should be what can I do for God and how do I help my fellow humans without expecting immediate returns, this is where real LOVE for God and our neighbour is expected and this is the core message of Christ.
Re: Practical Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2010
^^^
@sarmy
I feel you, keep on preaching the true gospel brother!
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 4:16pm On Nov 08, 2010
thehomer:

I doubt it. Have you been able to successfully perform miracles etc?

performing miracles is one of the spiritual gifts associated with following Christ but not his core message

That's not all he said.

The core message of Christ centered on LOVE, FORGIVENESS and SERVICE, there could be many more but we can summarize them into those three areas.

Carrying those acts out does not make one his follower. To be his follower, the main requirement is to believe.

If one believes but no love, that faith is in vain.

But, if you love God and fellow men, you forgive others when they offend and also selfless in service, you are a true follower of Christ
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 4:41pm On Nov 08, 2010
KunleOshob:

^^^
@sarmy
I feel you, keep on preaching the true gospel brother!

It's very painful when one critically observes what is going on the Christendom

Are we really practicing Christ's message or his core message has become irrelevant.

I strongly believe the true gospel is practicable

Thks
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 8:38pm On Nov 08, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Yes, I do have tried and I do continue to try. And I have witnessed that the measure by which I've tried is the measure by which I've gotten results.

Now you may asked why in that case I don't kuku follow it by full measure if I'm so convinced. That, my friend, is a mystery. The mystery of my gutlessness.

Ok. I really do wonder how much you've tried because if you were able to perform half of what Christ did, I don't think gutlessness would be your problem. You would have a greater difficulty hiding from Google.
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 8:46pm On Nov 08, 2010
sarmy:

performing miracles is one of the spiritual gifts associated with following Christ but not his core message

Ok. But the miracles are supposed to go with the message.

sarmy:

The core message of Christ centered on LOVE, FORGIVENESS and SERVICE, there could be many more but we can summarize them into those three areas.

How about obedience and faith?

sarmy:

If one believes but no love, that faith is in vain.

But, if you love God and fellow men, you forgive others when they offend and also selfless in service, you are a true follower of Christ  

But if one does not believe in his deity (which requires faith), can such a person be considered a "true" follower?
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 11:12pm On Nov 08, 2010
thehomer:

Ok. But the miracles are supposed to go with the message.

Performing miracles is one of the gifts of the Spirit, receiving this gift is at the discretion of the giver, one can only desire or ask for it but God is the doer, we are vessels

However, the more we dedicate ourselves to the things of the spirit, the more we can be used for such

How about obedience and faith?

If we love him, we would obey his commandment

Faith without love is fake, if there is love, there will be faith

But if one does not believe in his deity (which requires faith), can such a person be considered a "true" follower?

No. because one can not be a true follower without having true love for the master and if there is true love, there will be faith
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 8:27am On Nov 09, 2010
sarmy:

Performing miracles is one of the gifts of the Spirit, receiving this gift is at the discretion of the giver, one can only desire or ask for it but God is the doer, we are vessels

However, the more we dedicate ourselves to the things of the spirit, the more we can be used for such

So, have you been used for such?

sarmy:

If we love him, we would obey his commandment
Faith without love is fake, if there is love, there will be faith

No. because one can not be a true follower without having true love for the master and if there is true love, there will be faith

You're getting the order mixed up. One has to first believe through faith of the deity of Christ and the validity of his teachings. After one believes this, then that person can consider loving him or obeying him.
So, my question is in two parts.

1. Why should anyone believe in the deity of your Christ considering our knowledge of the world and how it works?
2. Why should anyone love or obey such a being granting that one believes his deity?
Re: Practical Christianity? by PastorAIO: 10:55am On Nov 09, 2010
thehomer:

Ok. I really do wonder how much you've tried because if you were able to perform half of what Christ did, I don't think gutlessness would be your problem. You would have a greater difficulty hiding from Google.

Dude, you really need to be upfront and say what it is that you really want to say. All this wondering about someone's religious practice in one's life without head or tail is suggestive of a pointless existence.
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 3:46pm On Nov 09, 2010
thehomer:

So, have you been used for such?

I strongly believe I can be used for such if I desire and work for it. 

You're getting the order mixed up. One has to first believe through faith of the deity of Christ and the validity of his teachings. After one believes this, then that person can consider loving him or obeying him.

Which is easier? to have faith in a total stranger we do not love or faith in a stranger that we do love and in relationship with

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing of the word, faith definitely can not come if love is out of place because the word must be received unto a fertile ground of love.

So, my question is in two parts.

1. Why should anyone believe in the deity of your Christ considering our knowledge of the world and how it works?

Anyone desiring the right way to God, seeking the truth and in need of true fulfillment in life would need to go through Christ. He's the way, the truth and the life.

2. Why should anyone love or obey such a being granting that one believes his deity?

The state of our inner self determines if we are set to receive him or not, blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty after righteousness; for they shall be filled. No one can come to the father except those that are ripe for harvest. That inner thirst is what eventually creates the enabling environment and attraction for his word.
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 9:48pm On Nov 09, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Dude, you really need to be upfront and say what it is that you really want to say. All this wondering about someone's religious practice in one's life without head or tail is suggestive of a pointless existence.

A pointless existence for whom?
I already said what I wanted to say which was that anyone actually attempting the OP's suggestions would find themselves either in jail or hospital.
Re: Practical Christianity? by thehomer: 9:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
sarmy:

I strongly believe I can be used for such if I desire and work for it.

So which is it? Do you not desire it or are you not working for it?

sarmy:

Which is easier? to have faith in a total stranger we do not love or faith in a stranger that we do love and in relationship with

Faith cometh by hearing and hearing of the word, faith definitely can not come if love is out of place because the word must be received unto a fertile ground of love.

However you wish to look at it, one must have faith i.e believe that this stranger or non-stranger is who he or his followers claim to be

sarmy:

Anyone desiring the right way to God, seeking the truth and in need of true fulfillment in life would need to go through Christ. He's the way, the truth and the life.

This does not answer the question.

sarmy:

The state of our inner self determines if we are set to receive him or not, blessed are those who are hungry and thirsty after righteousness; for they shall be filled. No one can come to the father except those that are ripe for harvest. That inner thirst is what eventually creates the enabling environment and attraction for his word.

And how does one acquire this "inner thirst"?
Re: Practical Christianity? by beloveeed: 4:35pm On Nov 10, 2010
thehomer:

Hi all
well said, do we really think that it is possible based on the various analysis of what it means to be "PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY"?

I AGREE with homer that Christianity is not just difficult but IMPOSSIBLE at best.

now you may think this is never a christian. . . no am d righteousness of God! and i agree that its IMPOSSBLE. Period!!! Lets stop deceiving ourselves that it is possible.
Re: Practical Christianity? by beloveeed: 4:39pm On Nov 10, 2010
Pastor AIO:

hi pastor,

reading the context of the above chapters, was Christ speaking to christians? that will help u understand why it is difficult to preach talk less of doing them.
Re: Practical Christianity? by beloveeed: 4:41pm On Nov 10, 2010
sarmy:

You are right, but we really need the true message of Christ more than ever before.

May be we need new awakening, kind of a new movement

NEW awakening/movement? personally i will never wish for that. . . every awakening/movement always end up COLD after the mover does it.
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 5:11pm On Nov 10, 2010
thehomer:

So which is it? Do you not desire it or are you not working for it?

I don’t have quest for it, reason is personal.

If I’m introducing a friend of mine to you, someone you have never met, won’t you care to know him more before you entrust your faith in him.

Likewise, if I’m introducing Christ to you, out of our discussion you may become interested in him (love) or indifferent. If interested you may proceed further by professing your faith in him which is conviction.

However you wish to look at it, one must have faith i.e believe that this stranger or non-stranger is who he or his followers claim to be

This does not answer the question.

I already answer the question but I can also add that it’s a matter of choice; anyone can decide not to believe in the deity of Christ. Likewise, someone else may believe in him due to personal conviction and the state of their inner self.

And how does one acquire this "inner thirst"?

There are three signs by which one can know those with inner thirst for God. Christ is the way, the truth and the life; if someone is seeking the right WAY to God, seeking the TRUTH about life or thinking about LIFE eternal.

This zeal can be in their conscious or unconscious mind (like Paul, Nicodemus, Cornelius, etc)
Re: Practical Christianity? by sarmy(m): 5:21pm On Nov 10, 2010
beloveeed:

Hi all
well said, do we really think that it is possible based on the various analysis of what it means to be "PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY"?

I AGREE with homer that Christianity is not just difficult but IMPOSSIBLE at best.

now you may think this is never a christian. . . no am d righteousness of God! and i agree that its IMPOSSBLE. Period!!! Lets stop deceiving ourselves that it is possible.

Why is Christianity imposible?

Can you list some of the things that make christianity impossible, we can go from there. I personally think it's possible.

Thks
Re: Practical Christianity? by KunleOshob(m): 7:26pm On Nov 10, 2010
^^^
According to Mahatma Ghandi a non christian, if we practise true christianity we would solve not only the problems of his country India, we would solve the problems of the whole world. True christianity is not only possible, it is extremely desirable and we would all be better off for it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Of Tithes And Offerings And Rich Preachers. / Are There Still Miracles????????? I Think This Puts An End To All Doubts.... / What Do Christians Think Of Rihanna's New Video "Pour It Up"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.