Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality (452 Views)

Russia To Outlaw Gays, Lesbians & LGBTQ As Extremist Groups (Photos) / US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons / Death Penalty, Life Imprisonment: Museveni Signs Bill Criminalising LGBTQ+ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
Uganda has announced plans to reintroduce a bill which would bring the death penalty for homosexuals.

The legislation - known as the "Kill the Gays" bill - was removed five years ago, but the government now plans on reintroducing the controversial law within weeks.

While it is already a crime to be gay in the African nation, the legislation will bring death to many who partake in sexual activity with those of the same sex.

"Homosexuality is not natural to Ugandans, but there has been a massive recruitment by gay people in schools, and especially among the youth, where they are promoting the falsehood that people are born like that," Ethics and Integrity Minister Simon Lokodo said.
"Our current penal law is limited. It only criminalises the act. We want it made clear that anyone who is even involved in promotion and recruitment has to be criminalised. Those that do grave acts will be given the death sentence."

The most common method of execution for civilians in Uganda is hanging.

Homosexuality is already punishable by death in a handful of African countries, including Sudan and parts of Nigeria, although it's a taboo subject all across the continent.

Uganda is one of the hardest countries in Africa to be a sexual minority. Under British colonial law, gay sex is punishable with up to life imprisonment and activists said the new bill risked unleashing attacks.

Pepe Julian Onziema from Sexual Minorities Uganda, an alliance of LGBT+ organisations, said its members were fearful.

"When the law was introduced last time, it whipped up homophobic sentiment and hate crimes," said Onziema.

"Hundreds of LGBT+ people have been forced to leave the country as refugees and more will follow if this law is enacted. It will criminalise us from even advocated for LGBT+ rights, let alone supporting and protecting sexual minorities."

Earlier this year, the government of Brunei announced the death penalty for homosexuality before backtracking after intense international backlash.

In respond to Brunei's proposed move at the time, Elton John slammed the country's government.

In a tweet, Elton John said: "I believe that love is love and being able to love as we choose is a basic human right. Wherever we go, my husband David and I deserve to be treated with dignity and respect - as do each and every one of the millions of LGBTQ+ people around the world.

"I commend my friend, #GeorgeClooney, for taking a stand against the anti-gay discrimination and bigotry taking place in the nation of #Brunei - a place where gay people are brutalised, or worse - by boycotting the Sultan's hotels."

Source: https://mandynews.com/uganda-announces-kill-the-gays-law-death-penalty-for-homosexuality/

Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 11, 2019
Person suppose give bobrisky holiday go this country.

Nothing concerns me with what or who fills your hole but sha no do am near me. I still wonder why person go leave the soft tissues of a well lubricated obow with better ring tone go dey nack man with strong yansh and hoarse voice.

God bless obow
Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by emeijeh(m): 8:35pm On Oct 11, 2019
I stand with them.

I detest Homos

2 Likes

Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by Donexy16(m): 8:37pm On Oct 11, 2019
Same should be introduced in Nigeria. Gays are coursed people
Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by Aaronsrod: 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2019
If we are Christian we must kill them.

God demands their blood must be shed.

The Bible commands this.
Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by panafrican(m): 3:22pm On Oct 12, 2019
Kick the gays out of Uganda and dump them into the red sea.
Re: Uganda Announces 'Kill The Gays' Law, Death Penalty For Homosexuality by tillaman(m): 3:23pm On Oct 12, 2019
Death to the fagz!!

(1) (Reply)

Some People Still Believe Planet Earth Is Flat !!!!! / Motorist Caught On Camera Assaulting And Beating A Female Security Guard (video) / If Kim Jong-un Dies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.