Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,685 members, 7,813,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons (26108 Views)

Russia To Outlaw Gays, Lesbians & LGBTQ As Extremist Groups (Photos) / Biden Nominates Ketanji Brown Jackson To The US Supreme Court / Biden To Appoint Candace Jackson-Akiwumi As US Supreme Court Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by fergie001: 4:35pm On Jun 30, 2023
US Supreme Court has ruled that Lorie Smith, a Christian web-designer in Colorado cannot be forced to create website for ‘same-sex marriage’, which is against her religious beliefs.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Friday that some private businesses can refuse service to same-sex couples for religious reasons, in a landmark erosion of anti-discrimination laws.

Lorie Smith, owner of website design firm 303 Creative, challenged a Colorado state law that prohibits businesses from discriminating on the basis of gender, race, religion or sexual orientation.

Smith said that creating marriage announcements for same-sex couples would be "inconsistent" with her Christian beliefs and being compelled to do so would violate her First Amendment free speech rights.

On Friday, June 30, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 in her favor.

Colorado "seeks to use its law to compel an individual to create speech she does not believe," Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote in the decision backed by all of the top court's conservatives.

"That principle would allow the government to force all manner of artists, speechwriters, and others whose services involve speech to speak what they do not believe on pain of penalty," Gorsuch wrote.

The decision focused on a limited category of commercial activities, like artists or businesses those creating content.

But leading the dissent of the court's three liberal justices, Sonia Sotomayor warned that it risks being applied to any business as part of a wider "backlash" to the moves toward LGBTQ equality.

"Today, the Court, for the first time in its history, grants a business open to the public a constitutional right to refuse to serve members of a protected class," she wrote.

The case grew out of a campaign by a conservative Christian group, the Alliance Defending Freedom, fighting against Colorado's strict anti-discrimination laws.

In arguments last December, Kristen Waggoner, who heads the Alliance, said the state law would force Smith to "create and speak messages" she does not believe in "on pain of investigation, fine and reeducation."

"When you're requiring a speaker to create a message to celebrate something that they believe to be false you're compelling their speech," said Waggoner.

The case closely resembled one from 2018 when the Supreme Court partially ruled in favor of Colorado cakemaker Jack Phillips, also a devout Christian, who had refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.

But the court in that case narrowly ruled against Colorado's Civil Rights Commission, saying that its actions requiring Phillips to make a cake with a message he didn't believe in had infringed on his religious rights.

The court did not rule on whether Phillips had the right to discriminate against the couple by denying them business as a gay couple.

Waggoner and the Alliance also represented Phillips in that case.

SOURCE

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by TemplarLandry: 4:36pm On Jun 30, 2023
America was founded on Godly principles. So no one should shove perversion down people's throats.

Upholding my Godly beliefs shouldn't be erroneously tagged as a form of discrimination.

315 Likes 21 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by taylor89(m): 4:38pm On Jun 30, 2023
I don’t know what Americans saw in this gay thing

If not for spiritual problems why would a man leave Nengi and Nansi Isimes nyash say na Atiku & Oshomole nyash dey hungry am

Don’t even know how y’all do it but I find it very difficult to even sleep on same bed with my fellow guy I rather sleep on the floor

Because if my fellow guy dey sleep Mumu sleep him leg or hand mistakenly touch me while he’s deep asleep I go chook am screwdriver immediately

Even I faint & needs a mouth to mouth CPR and unknowingly due to my unconscious state I found out that my fellow guy gave me mouth to mouth CPR that saved my life

Oga if I fully recover people go gather for me and you because our war and fight go long reach Russia

You go tell me wether you no see babe around to save me

348 Likes 35 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by FalseProphet1(m): 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2023
Gradually sanity is returning back to America.

This I have seen.

139 Likes 10 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Neddstark: 4:47pm On Jun 30, 2023
USA over Canada.🇺🇲

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by SleekyP(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
I cast thee gay brothers angry

20 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by ecolime(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
My grouse with all these Homos is attempting to shove your sickness down the throats of normal people.

It's sickening and annoying.

GaybigBoy:
This judgement shall not stand I repeat this useless God forsaken APC judgement shall not stand. Gay is not evil
Mumu... Better go and change your diapers

140 Likes 8 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by salbis(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
May God bless those wise Counsels.

75 Likes 8 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Boyooosa(m): 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
Yes na, na only her be web designer wey dey US

9 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by DSS1335: 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
Hurray

"Smith said that creating marriage announcements for same-sex couples would be "inconsistent" with her Christian beliefs and being compelled to do so would violate her First Amendment free speech rights.

On Friday, June 30, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 in her favor"

God continue to bless all those who stands firm for the truth

So out of 9 justice, 3 where against common sense? Na wa

96 Likes 10 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by maestroferddi: 4:48pm On Jun 30, 2023
Trump 2 Biden 0

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by veraponpo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
It is my fundamental human right of association to have business dealing with whoever I want.

Kudos to the US Supreme Court.

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Microwhy: 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
They're gradually crawling back to their senses..
I have the strong feeling that the owners of TITAN That imploded said samething with what its said about TITANIC safety before capsizing. They have indeed start realising that God is God.
Maybe they will stop forcing the stupid agenda down our throat in Africa.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by b3llo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
Good
Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by oluwaseyi0: 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
way to go

there are so many web designer how can you force someone to create a site for gay when he's against it

or do you expect a deeper-life baker to bake cake with insignia or picture of 2 men kissing

if you want your right to be respected you must respect others right too

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by ojoisimi(m): 4:49pm On Jun 30, 2023
Way to go

5 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by GaybigBoy(m): 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
This judgement shall not stand I repeat this useless God forsaken APC judgement shall not stand. Gay is not evil
Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by NzogbuNzogbu: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
You want to force sodomy, child ritual abortions and satanism down our throat but una want equity

They are now renaming real women as cis women, birthing people, just to degrade the title to fit their trans bias

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Oblongata: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
'In God we trust' and you guys think going against God's will is right,?

Thumbs up to this lady for fighting what is not right!

I have no hate for gays

But I can't like what I don't like...

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Raskimonojendor: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
TemplarLandry:
America was founded on Godly principles. So no one should shove perversion down people's throats.

Upholding my Godly beliefs shouldn't be erroneously tagged as a form of discrimination.
Lori iro.

91 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Postinor: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
At times I wish death on all LGBT people, stupid animals

15 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by barojana: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
Trump has left white house, but he is still making impact there.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by kingamaa(m): 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
Confused nation with confused people looking for who to infect with their confusion.

It's a matter of time the nation USA will be no more, abi who won born when man dey marry man and woman dey marry woman and the few sane ones are trigger happy.

3 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by ovie8200: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
Gay or not, any store owner or car mechanic has the right to decide whether to service a customer, just like a homeowner chooses who to rent his/her to regardless of income, religion, and/or race!

8 Likes

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Basic123: 4:50pm On Jun 30, 2023
TemplarLandry:

How was America founded on Godly principles?

94 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by kiltoko1(m): 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2023
Nice
Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by MRDEE01: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2023
Nice ruling.
You can't infringe on my human right with your human right.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by Queenslander(f): 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2023
Wow,. Very good...
Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by matiandu(m): 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2023
The next person should speak on behalf of his fellow gays all over the world. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Supreme Court: Businesses Can Discriminate Against Gays For Religious Reasons by IMASTEX: 4:51pm On Jun 30, 2023
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

For Europe, Biden’s ‘armageddon’ Warning Can’t Be Dismissed / Russia Could Default On Its Debt Within Days / Egyptian Ex-president Morsi Was ‘killed’, Says Turkey's President Erdogan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.