Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? (809 Views)

Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / Do You Regret Leaving Your Lucrative Nigerian Job For Abroad Menial Job / I Regret Laminating My O'level Original Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 8:34pm On Oct 11, 2019
On the average, going through a full recruitment process as a Job applicant in Nigeria can be quite stressful mentally, financially and physically. Many young people in search of their dream jobs or just any job really, travel from one state to another at personal cost without any promise of reimbursement from their prospective employers.

In most cases, only those who get to the final stage are reimbursed and it is likely insufficient. On the other hand, Can we really blame these individual organizations as most times they are spoilt for choice and frankly overwhelmed by the number of qualified applicants for each advertised Job role.

The infamous waiting periods.

The funny thing about this part of the process is that there is no definite timeline. It varies from company to company, industry to industry and in fact some companies show significant variations in time lag from year to year. So you are almost certain of its unpredictability. The worst part, at least a few years ago is if it were a Federal Government recruitment. You can begin the process in January 2013 and get your employment letter August 2017. Four or five years spent in school, four years applying to one job. Inside life. or should I say, inside Nigeria.

Given the current "state of saturation" of the Nigerian Job market, it appears some recruiters have decided to adopt a new strategy in dealing with unsuccessful candidates across various stages of the recruitment process. I call it "The phenomenon of no response" where the company has no further correspondence with an unsuccessful candidate, not even the infamous regret mail. Some applaud it and insist it is better to keep hope alive, but I always ask, hope in what?

The worst part is, as a result, there are cases where people believe they are still in the running, long after other successful applicants have resumed for the same roles.

What's your take on this strategy and how to deal with it as an applicant? kindly share your experiences.

After going through the rigours of such a process, do you think the least the company can do is send a regret mail to the Hardworking Nigerian Youth?
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by lomprico(m): 8:38pm On Oct 11, 2019
unending silence. regret mail gives you closure.

2 Likes

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by BLESSMME: 8:47pm On Oct 11, 2019
Silence.
Regret mail makes you focus on new opportunities

1 Like

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 8:50pm On Oct 11, 2019
lomprico:
unending silence. regret mail gives you closure.
You're right, closure is important but one may feel the longer they avoid regret mail the better their chances. Thinking that the company still has them under consideration. Do you believe moving on is still possible without regret mail? and if so when should the applicant consider such?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by lomprico(m): 9:25pm On Oct 11, 2019
TruthCorp:

You're right, closure is important but one may feel the longer they avoid regret mail the better their chances. Thinking that the company still has them under consideration. Do you believe moving on is still possible without regret mail? and if so when should the applicant consider such?

moving on should be a continium!
even after a hopeful interview, if u see another opening, apply!

3 Likes

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 9:40pm On Oct 11, 2019
lomprico:

moving on should be a continium! even after a hopeful interview, if u see another opening, apply!
I agree with you
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 9:43pm On Oct 11, 2019
BLESSMME:
Silence. Regret mail makes you focus on new opportunities
I see your point
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by Powersurge: 9:16am On Oct 12, 2019
I think it's an act of irresponsibility not to let applicants know their fate after recruitment, especially the ones that have gotten close to the end of the process.

Yes! regret mail could be disappointing but it's only for a while. It helps you make your mind quickly.

sometimes, applicants have other programs in line, telling them their will help greatly. Nigeria employees or HRs sometimes show high level of irresponsibility.

2 Likes

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by Fabulouski(m): 6:08pm On Oct 12, 2019
I prefer the regret mail. It saves me the stress of hoping. Why tell someone you'll get back to him/her when you know you won't.

Sadly, most of these HR personnels have removed the Human in human resource.
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by pearls336: 8:26pm On Oct 12, 2019
Unending silence,with regret mail you move on easily and prepare for the next opportunity
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by akpaan(m): 12:16am On Oct 13, 2019
Regret mail is preferable
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 1:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
Powersurge:
I think it's an act of irresponsibility not to let applicants know their fate after recruitment, especially the ones that have gotten close to the end of the process.

Yes! regret mail could be disappointing but it's only for a while. It helps you make your mind quickly.

sometimes, applicants have other programs in line, telling them their will help greatly. Nigeria employees or HRs sometimes show high level of irresponsibility.
Succinctly put!
I believe even the ones who fail to make it through the first stage should be notified as well.
Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 1:46pm On Oct 13, 2019
Fabulouski:
I prefer the regret mail. It saves me the stress of hoping. Why tell someone you'll get back to him/her when you know you won't.

Sadly, most of these HR personnels have removed the Human in human resource.

Hmmmmm....Very True.
It helps alot to remember that you're dealing with people. It is important to take into cognisance the emotional dynamics of being human and one with hope, dreams and aspirations. Empathy is key in Human Resource.

1 Like

Re: Regret Mail Or Unending Silence(no Feedback)? Which Is More Heartbreaking? by TruthCorp: 1:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
pearls336:
Unending silence,with regret mail you move on easily and prepare for the next opportunity
Like lomprico earlier noted, one may just have to adopt moving on as a default position after each interview or test and let the notification come as a surprise.

(1) (Reply)

If You're Eyeing A Job In A New Industry, Remember This / Can You Handle Phone Repairs? / 2021 Kwara State Subeb Recruitment | Subeb.kw.gov.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.