Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,107 members, 7,828,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:44 PM

5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season (17674 Views)

5 Vital Car Tips For The Rainy Season / 10 Significant Car Care Tips For The Rainy Season / Tips For Rainy Season Driving, Visibility And Defogging The Windscreen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Iogobenz(m): 10:05pm On Oct 12, 2019
ednut1:
even as i cut the pic. U be winch angry
It's what we do bruv grin

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 10:19pm On Oct 12, 2019
3kay945:

This cant be used in some area na, also as a family man how you wan do am? Forget story o, na SUV fit am o.

Why do you think Bicycles cannot be used in some areas? A lot of developed countries are actually incentivising riding. It is just simply a more sustainable form of transport. These are countries with even more challenging topography in hills and mountains compared to Nigeria and bicycles are their main form of transport.

A geared bike makes it so much easier to climb hills. There are bicycles than can get you up to speeds of 75km/h on a flat. Because of gears. Family men, women, Adults, Teenagers, Paeds. Even old people can ride without hassles. Gear technology has made it possible for anyone to get on a bike and ride peacefully and stress free.

Cycling is the future. It's simply better than other forms of transport.

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by 3kay945(m): 10:35pm On Oct 12, 2019
Bacteriologist:

Why do you think Bicycles cannot be used in some areas? A lot of developed countries are actually incentivising riding. It is just simply a more sustainable form of transport. These are countries with even more challenging topography in hills and mountains compared to Nigeria and bicycles are their main form of transport.

A geared bike makes it so much easier to climb hills. There are bicycles than can get you up to speeds of 75km/h on a flat. Because of gears. Family men, women, Adults, Teenagers, Paeds. Even old people can ride without hassles. Gear technology has made it possible for anyone to get on a bike and ride peacefully and stress free.

Can you ride bicycle in flooded areas
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 10:42pm On Oct 12, 2019
3kay945:

Can you ride bicycle in flooded areas

All roads that are motorable can accommodate bicycles too.

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by 3kay945(m): 10:43pm On Oct 12, 2019
Bacteriologist:

All roads that are motorable can accommodate bicycles too.

You sell bicycle?
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Nobody: 10:49pm On Oct 12, 2019
Bacteriologist:
6. Ditch your car and get a bicycle. Good for your health. Good for the environment. No such thing as traffic congestion on bicycles. No toxic gas emissions. Maintenance costs 20x less than the average car. Eliminates noise pollution from lousy combustion engines. Less lives lost by auto accidents and motorcycle accidents and so much more.

Bicycles are the future.

Edit: Anytime you see a cyclist in front of you on the road, that is one less person in a car who would have added to the already bad traffic situation. Pay us some respect.
Nigerian man drive bicycle?
That will be after they have seen Christ face to face grin
They will rather leggedess it than climb that poor man thing( mentality)
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 12, 2019
3kay945:

You sell bicycle?
He don't have to sell to send his message across.
See qweshion cheesy
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 10:59pm On Oct 12, 2019
3kay945:

You sell bicycle?

No.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by VolvoS60(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2019
Bacteriologist:

^^^
The infrastructure just isn't there. That's the real problem.

Without an integrated transport plan nothing sustainable will take place.

The Dutch are the standard when it comes to transport systems in which cycling is central. They didn't get there by accident.

Nigeria is light years away from this. Former minister Ojo Maduekwe tried some years ago to float the idea of mass cycling - and predictably, his suggestion was met with derision.

We are not ready yet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by JonOlive: 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2019
When rainy season don de end na him u wan give dis advice?

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 11:06pm On Oct 12, 2019
sassysure:

Nigerian man drive bicycle?
That will be after they have seen Christ face to face grin
They will rather leggedess it than climb that poor man thing( mentality)

Funny but true. The African ego in us about things that do not matter are what makes us comfortable in stressful and completely avoidable situations.

Denmark, Belgium and Netherlands are the countries nigerian governors and ministers run to to beg for solutions to the traffic problem. These countries have excellent transport systems free of the slightest traffic jam and it is all because of one thing: bicycles and prioritising cycling infrastructure.

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 11:14pm On Oct 12, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
The infrastructure just isn't there. That's the real problem.

Without an integrated transport plan nothing sustainable will take place.

The Dutch are the standard when it comes to transport systems in which cycling is central. They didn't get there by accident.

Nigeria is light years away from this. Former minister Ojo Maduekwe tried some years ago to float the idea of mass cycling - and predictably, his suggestion was met with derision.

We are not ready yet.

You are not incorrect. But I don't totally think the nigerian space is alien to cycling culture. Pictures of the colonial era and few post colonial years usually depict a prevalent cycling culture. It is just a pity that has been overshadowed by egoistic, poison-emitting and lousy combustion engines in cars.

But even the Dutch went through that phase when cars wanted to make a comeback to their roads. They resisted it and now those countries are inarguably the quietest, most green, serene and traffic-resistant areas of the world. And of course the air quality is so good. Car engines are just silent killers.

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Balenciagabrain: 11:34pm On Oct 12, 2019
Which rainy season? The one that is almost over already?
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by alphaNomega: 11:42pm On Oct 12, 2019
anenymasng:
Is there any use to outing off the a.c when driving in water or floods? People tend to do that a lot now.

bonnyhope:
People say the AC should not be ON when you are driving pass a flooded road, enlighten us.

When the water level is very high, turning off the AC turns off the radiator fans and stops them from splashing water all over sensitive electronic parts in the engine bay. This is what happens assuming your cooling system eletricals are at factory settings.

If the AC is on and the radiator fan still works, probably because the engine is still at operating temperature. The fan will turn off when the engine temperature starts to go down. If you have driven into a large pool of water and notice your temperature needle drop, this I what I mean. When it happens, the thermostat shuts off the engine fan and stops water from splashing on your engine further.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 12, 2019
Woow and I'm celebrating the end of rainy season in Abuja while another one is coming again.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by next2kings(m): 5:45am On Oct 13, 2019
Nice one OP!
I've a bycicle but still frustrating riding it on wet bad roads, so I parked it like the car too...Lol!

Meanwhile for your vehicle tracker installation pls call or Whatsapp...08064287477...rate is affordable, No subscription.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Hondajosh: 6:33am On Oct 13, 2019
For your Honda issues kiss
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by timifakay(m): 6:37am On Oct 13, 2019
What of checking roof, wind shield, bonnet and trunk seals for water ingress?
And making sure electrical components, harnesses and sockets don't get immersed in water when driving through pools.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by anenymasng(m): 7:10am On Oct 13, 2019
alphaNomega:

When the water level is very high, turning off the AC turns off the radiator fans and stops them from splashing water all over sensitive electronic parts in the engine bay. This is what happens assuming your cooling system eletricals are at factory settings.

If the AC is on and the radiator fan still works, probably because the engine is still at operating temperature. The fan will turn off when the engine temperature starts to go down. If you have driven into a large pool of water and notice your temperature needle drop, this I what I mean. When it happens, the thermostat shuts off the engine fan and stops water from splashing on your engine further.

Gracias!
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bluehill1051: 7:55am On Oct 13, 2019
6. DONT SPLASH MUD ON PASSERS BY.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Emycharles(m): 10:28am On Oct 13, 2019
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by VolvoS60(m): 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2019
Bacteriologist:

You are not incorrect. But I don't totally think the nigerian space is alien to cycling culture. Pictures of the colonial era and few post colonial years usually depict a prevalent cycling culture. It is just a pity that has been overshadowed by egoistic, poison-emitting and lousy combustion engines in cars.

But even the Dutch went through that phase when cars wanted to make a comeback to their roads. They resisted it and now those countries are inarguably the quietest, most green, serene and traffic-resistant areas of the world. And of course the air quality is so good. Car engines are just silent killers.

^^^
Fair points.

I don't think our space has an aversion to cycling. Not at all. I am with you on this - those old pictures do show several cyclists on the move on some well known bridges. The advantages of a cycling culture are simply not open to debate by sensible people. But making these things work requires vision, thoughtful planning and sensible execution by the powers that be - and these things qualities are in short supply here.

People respond to incentives. If the reward and punishment system is distorted and/or contradictory, then people make their own choices the best way they can. Why should I endanger my life cycling on bad roads that do not have dedicated bicycle lanes? It is simply suicidal to compete for road space with insane motorists who consider cyclists a nuisance to be crushed at will. undecided

Over the years we reached several forks in the road when we had to make critical choices about our public infrastructure. Unfortunately, we chose poorly and ended up with a bastard version of the US model (in which life is organized around the automobile with no room for pedestrians or cyclists) undecided. The only thing preventing us from becoming morbidly obese like the Americans is the mass poverty in our system and the fact that junk food hasn't really tightened its grip around us yet. But we are getting there.

1 Like

Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by kernniejay(m): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2019
bonnyhope:
People say the AC should not be ON when you are driving pass a flooded road, enlighten us.
It is advisable to off your AC when passing through water that is higher to your bumper level because water can spoil the Fan that is blowing in front of the radiator. Also, water can enter the air filter hose and get into the air filter compartment and spoil it.
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 4:47pm On Oct 13, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
Fair points.

I don't think our space has an aversion to cycling. Not at all. I am with you on this - those old pictures do show several cyclists on the move on some well known bridges. The advantages of a cycling culture are simply not open to debate by sensible people. But making these things work requires vision, thoughtful planning and sensible execution by the powers that be - and these things are in short supply here.

People respond to incentives. If the reward and punishment system is distorted and/or contradictory, then people make their own choices the best way they can. Why should I endanger my life cycling on bad roads that do not have dedicated bicycle lanes? It is simply suicidal to compete for road space with insane motorists who consider cyclists a nuisance to be crushed at will. undecided

Over the years we reached several forks in the road when we had to make critical choices about our public infrastructure. Unfortunately, we chose poorly and ended up with a bastard version of the US model (in which life is organized around the automobile with no room for pedestrians or cyclists) undecided. The only thing preventing us from becoming morbidly obese like the Americans is the mass poverty in our system and the fact that junk food hasn't really tightened its grip around us yet. But we are getting there.

Great post. I agree completely with every single word in this write-up. Thank you!
Re: 5 Important Car Tips For The Rainy Season by Bacteriologist(m): 4:48pm On Oct 13, 2019
next2kings:
Nice one OP!
I've a bycicle but still frustrating riding it on wet bad roads, so I parked it like the car too...Lol!

Meanwhile for your vehicle tracker installation pls call or Whatsapp...08064287477...rate is affordable, No subscription.

That's a beautiful mountain bicycle with nice shock absorbers and a mudguard. How are you still finding it difficult to ride yet?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mitsubishi Is Changing The Way Cars Give Signals / Tips For Sharing The Road With Large Trucks To Avoid Accidents!! / US Sheriff Forced To Repay N25m After Buying An Hellcat With Seized Drug Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.