Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,252 members, 7,829,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? (19367 Views)

Mention The Year You Will Like To Get Married And At What Age / Meet Phil The Mature Man Who Like To Dress Like A Baby(pics/vieo) / The Top 10 Youngest Mothers In History And Their Ages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 12, 2019
Muhylonaire:
I wish I could reduce mine too cry cry
I look younger than my age tho. I just don't know how to go about it since the normal age is on all my documents and IDs

Consult any lawyer closest to you.. they are trained to lie for their clients... They will help with a fee...
Pls remember to thank me later

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by bhouze(m): 11:32pm On Oct 12, 2019
[quote author=pocohantas post=83084239]There is age restriction on a lot...

-Age restriction to get husband #NoEveningNewspaper

-Age restriction to get job
-Age restriction to stay on the job
-Age restriction to get babe
-Age restriction to play football
-Age restriction to express yourself on certain topics, you will be reminded you are Indomie generation.

You young, problem.
You be ancestor, another problem.

You sef go confuse...

Then there are certain people who feel they are lagging behind when compared to their peers. So, they give themselves extra spiritual years to catch up- in the eyes of the society.
Oil dey your head.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by nauto6: 11:43pm On Oct 12, 2019
Poverty
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by panpan(m): 11:47pm On Oct 12, 2019
Registration of births is not enforced in Nigeria.

Many parents do not bother to register the birth of their children until it is time for the child to go to secondary school or a tertiary institution, or to apply for a passport. This time lag gives room for all sorts of manipulation of dates and figures.

In several other countries, registration of birth must be done within 60 or 90 days after the child is born.

"Declaration of Age" is still accepted in Nigeria, regardless of when the person was born.

People mention whatever age or date of birth they are comfortable with, because the Nigerian system allows it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by oguntola1(m): 11:55pm On Oct 12, 2019
NIGERIA policy
naijadrivablog:
Most Nigerians rather reduce their ages, especially female celebrities, government pipu lipsrsealed (No names mentioned o). Even average Nigerians too!

A popular Actress has been 16yrs for ages and now 19! What a magic!

But they claim seniority when they want to cheat, exert authority etc. Why?

You will see a woman in her late forties claim to be younger ("she go say I be lady o", as Late Fela Kuti said), especially if she is single or still "in-marriage but looking" or randy married man, who might be blessed with baby face and claims younger and unmarried to get the ladies.

Why the "football" age?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by chapmanapr: 12:13am On Oct 13, 2019
Because of age discrimination
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by OyinO: 12:14am On Oct 13, 2019
Simple question. The simple answer is that, the system is not fair to the citizens. In the then days before after independence, the system was good. Free education, scholarships to study abroad, jobs and employment opportunities for WAEC holders and primary school leavers. Today, the people who benefitted from that good old arrangements and scheme of things are still in power and have succeeded in destroying and plundering the system. People like OBJ and Bubu never paid anything to train themselves in school but as leaders, they didn't make such policies. In their time, everything was free!
Today, you spend a few years trying to pass post-UME after passing JAMB? Is that fair? Is that justice? You finally gained admission into higher institution and spend 4 to 5 or 6 years or more because of lecturers frustrating you. Is that fair? Is that justice? You finish school and serve and wait at home for unavailable jobs for another 5, 10, 15 or 20 years and one stewpeed mofo is asking for age 26 to 30 instead of skills and qualification or expertise. Is that fair? Is that injustice? How many youths can afford tertiary institution bills and fees in Nigeria? They enter school lately while they're already approaching 30, then you request 26 to 30 for a job placement with 5 years experience. Isn't that crazy and unfair? So what do you expect??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Bayoibee: 12:15am On Oct 13, 2019
This table you’re shaking has lots of big brother contestant on it o grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by eedriyz(m): 12:38am On Oct 13, 2019
Late to glory

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Olawest99: 3:08am On Oct 13, 2019
Age is just a number owo lagba
Owo ni koko
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by semyman: 3:48am On Oct 13, 2019
Why do most employers request for toddlers with plenty experience?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by faceland: 4:13am On Oct 13, 2019
May be because they didn't plan, including the civil servants that are stealing files to adjust their age and dying their hair. They are trying to recapture what they think they missed. For some of us, that is not an option as our looks would betray us.

I have always claimed 10 years older than my real age because due to struggling, that is how I look.

Almost 17 years ago, when I was about writing WAEC, I came down from bike and paid, the bike-man said "thank you sir ", from then I became aware that I look older than my age and started even banging 30 years old without mentioning my age but acting older.

People trust older guys, if you doubt me, try and rent house if the landlord wouldn't be looking at you carefully if he thinks you are in your 20's or younger, but once they see someone that looks 40 up, no much questions asked (even if na BQ you want rent)... Same with police, if am passing the worst part of town on my way to work (to buy weed) and police are violently slapping those innocent small boys, I would pass while pleading on the police to take it easy on the kids and sometimes they listen.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by traihit: 8:10am On Oct 13, 2019
ForeThinker:
Age is jux a number yh

This picture speaks volume...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by KevinDein: 8:33am On Oct 13, 2019
faceland:
May be because they didn't plan, including the civil servants that are stealing files to adjust their age and dying their hair. They are trying to recapture what they think they missed. For some of us, that is not an option as our looks would betray us.

I have always claimed 10 years older than my real age because due to struggling, that is how I look.

Almost 17 years ago, when I was about writing WAEC, I came down from bike and paid, the bike-man said "thank you sir ", from then I became aware that I look older than my age and started even banging 30 years old without mentioning my age but acting older.

People trust older guys, if you doubt me, try and rent house if the landlord wouldn't be looking at you carefully if he thinks you are in your 20's or younger, but once they see someone that looks 40 up, no much questions asked (even if na BQ you want rent)... Same with police, if am passing the worst part of town on my way to work (to buy weed) and police are violently slapping those innocent small boys, I would pass while pleading on the police to take it easy on the kids and sometimes they listen.
LMAO grin
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Rollitout: 8:43am On Oct 13, 2019
In order not to grow old all of a sudden

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by roladex(f): 8:50am On Oct 13, 2019
Becks if u r too old u won't get anything in Nigeria. U won't get husband.job.etc

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by pawesome(m): 8:51am On Oct 13, 2019
graduate at 21 with 5 years experience

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Kinematics: 9:20am On Oct 13, 2019
The country Nigeria has made it to be so. Imagine a country where you finish school at a ripe age of 23 but cant get a job for more than 5years. When it's time to get a job they start saying below 26yrs.

Or you finish school at an early age of 21-23 but employers will start asking for 7-10yrs experience.

Or you got a job finally at the age of 35 and they expect you to retire at 60yrs after suffering with no job until you are 35.

So many unfavourable factors made Nigerians go the illegal way.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by tck2000(m): 10:12am On Oct 13, 2019
oh
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by real777(m): 10:31am On Oct 13, 2019
And yet we all form to be pious Muslims & Christians. I will never reduce my age for the sake of anything under the sun. Not worth it. This is willfully lying & liars will not.......... unless you repent & make corrections. Nobody knows when death will come whether old or young

PS: "Your parents didn't know your age is understandable" & you can document one for yourself & don't change it afterwards

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by meobizy(f): 12:40pm On Oct 13, 2019
Na them know. If it works to my advantage I’ll do the same without regret.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by UKOBON(m): 1:50pm On Oct 13, 2019
Dem d cheat der NATURE. d dnt respect old age.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by cococandy(f): 2:04pm On Oct 13, 2019
That’s for when you feel like you aren’t where you’re ‘meant to be’ at your biological age. The pressure!

You’re not really meant to be at any place or have achieved certain things at any given time of your life. If only people realizes that all na social constructs and live freely.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Folksyharry(m): 5:23pm On Oct 13, 2019
BrainSanitizer:
Nigerians don't reduce their age. No one can. They simple supply a date of birth that is being requested. That's called "compliance".
It'll be rude to tell a prospective employer that you are 30 when the advert clearly says ages 20 - 25. That doesn't mean you aren't 30 no more.
It only mean that you are following instructions.
Are you with me?

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by emeijeh(m): 7:01pm On Oct 13, 2019
gnykelly:

Once anyone has a affidavit of age or discrepancies in document age... I just ignore that person

I am guessing you re a banker
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by mercyviv(f): 8:54pm On Oct 13, 2019
nero2face:
It's bcuz most Nigeria companies want a 25yrs man who graduated not more than 3yrs ago and has 30yrs working experience
I told myself, if government wants to make more revenue, let them increase the cost of procuring court affidavit and put it at #50k each. It had got to a point where some Nigerians makes age declaration yearly!! grin
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by Nobody: 5:26am On Oct 14, 2019
undecided
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? by PrincewithGod(m): 2:01pm On Oct 14, 2019
Jesus is calling you today!
Strive to enter by the narrow door; for many
will seek to enter and will not be able.
Jesus is the way to eternal life; no one comes
to the Father, but by Him.
Repent and accept Jesus today as your
personal Lord and saviour; He will keep you
safe when every other thing fails.
It is very important to make this all important
decision today, and if you have already
accepted Jesus into your life, continue to
follow Jesus all the way.
He will shepherd you so that you find pasture in this life, and also
in the life to come.
- Copied

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 16 Years Of Waiting(photos, Video) / When A Husband Is Not Providing / Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.