Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,401 members, 7,836,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months (28868 Views)

How States Squandered FG Bailout Funds / Reps Probe Tukur, Baraje Over N1tr Rail Projects / FG And States Shared N409.354bn Yesterday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 2:44am On Nov 08, 2010
Beaf:

Thanks for enlarging my small head! cheesy

I agree with you that it shouldn't be a sudden thing, in fact I think 4 to 5 years might be too short. Also, rather than continuing with the governors monthly Abuja begging bowl trips throughout the transition period, each state would be given a 1 year period to identify revenue sources, write feasibility studies and business plans to submit to the FG. The Fg will in turn broker a finance deal with oil money that has been set aside for the transition project. The FG will also negotiate soft repayment plans with the ND states, either as cash payments or shares etc.

With the above, everyone will get a fair deal and enough time and money to grow. ND states would also be repaid for financing the plan.

You've made the point eloquently. As things stand right now, we are all almajiris (aside from Lagos and the ND states.) What are our governors and state governments but beggars?

Each state needs to come up with a plan to make itself self-sufficient. Lagos and the ND states will likely be fine; but the same cannot be said of all the others. State leadership needs to roll up its sleeves and find ways to MAKE MONEY for the state and its people, not promise pie in the sky projects that they'll spend the money they've almajiried away from the federal gov't.

Too much talk about SPENDING, not enough talk about EARNING.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 2:46am On Nov 08, 2010
DapoBear:

You've made the point eloquently. As things stand right now, we are all almajiris (aside from Lagos and the ND states.) What are our governors and state governments but beggars?

Each state needs to come up with a plan to make itself self-sufficient. Lagos and the ND states will likely be fine; but the same cannot be said of all the others. State leadership needs to roll up its sleeves and find ways to MAKE MONEY for the state and its people, not promise pie in the sky projects that they'll spend the money they've almajiried away from the federal gov't.

Too much talk about SPENDING, not enough talk about EARNING.

God punish you. And I'm not even joking.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 2:53am On Nov 08, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

God punish you. And I'm not even joking.
It is the truth. If your homeland's primary source of income is a beggar bowl, eating money stolen from the Delta, what does that make your state? BTW, I'm not from the Delta or Lagos myself, so this implicated me and my own people too.

As I said, we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work, rather than reaping where we did not sow.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 2:59am On Nov 08, 2010
DapoBear:

It is the truth. If your homeland's primary source of income is a beggar bowl, eating money stolen from the Delta, what does that make your state? BTW, I'm not from the Delta or Lagos myself, so this implicated me and my own people too.

As I said, we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work, rather than reaping where we did not sow.
It means that we;re underfunded, not almajiris. Your comparison is close to ridiculous.

Sorry oh, it does not implicate your people.

Dude, I hope you realize that all you're saying now, thinking you sound different, have been said so many times by newcommers on NL, you'll learn. It has been said since 2005 lol
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 3:07am On Nov 08, 2010
Look, let me not use the word almajiri then, since you find that so offensive. Let me just say beggar, ok? I hope that is less offensive?

BTW, your excuse of underfunded is not a good one. There is a homeless man who lives in my neighbor's garage. My neighbor is kind enough to let him sleep there. He begs from money during the day, sleeps there at night. Is he underfunded too?

If you cannot pay your own bills and instead rely on begging to provide for yourself, the situation is quite a bit worse than "underfunded."

Real states have enough revenue to fund themselves. None of the states I've lived in in the US beg for money from the federal government. They could even stand alone as separate nations, if necessary, just to show you how much economic activity they have going on. We are only fooling ourselves if we think this is a matter of "underfunded."
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 3:09am On Nov 08, 2010
DapoBear:

Look, let me not use the word almajiri then, since you find that so offensive. Let me just say beggar, ok? I hope that is less offensive?

BTW, your excuse of underfunded is not a good one. There is a homeless man who lives in my neighbor's garage. My neighbor is kind enough to let him sleep there. He begs from money during the day, sleeps there at night. Is he underfunded too?

If you cannot pay your own bills and instead rely on begging to provide for yourself, the situation is quite a bit worse than "underfunded."

Real states have enough revenue to fund themselves. None of the states I've lived in in the US beg for money from the federal government. They could even stand alone as separate nations, if necessary, just to show you how much economic activity they have going on. We are only fooling ourselves if we think this is a matter of "underfunded."

I have no problem with your post oh, continue.

I just wanted you to know how ridiculous the almajiri's comparison was smiley
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by DapoBear(m): 3:18am On Nov 08, 2010
Fair enough. I must admit, part of the reason I used the word was for sensationalism. Nobody wants to be compared to an almajiri. If shame will be the emotion that sparks people to fix Nigeria and their individual states, so be it. After all, the end results are what matter to me.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by mensdept: 4:26am On Nov 08, 2010
Man, Naija get plenty money .

Yet hardly nothing to show for it outside of Lagos (rather Lekki, Ikoyi, etc. and Abuja)

Our leaders are mostly fools and most of our people dont care. See how we dey talk of Awolowo being like Hitler and Ojukwu and Biafra and going round and round when the current mumu leaders are sharing and dicing our future and security away forever.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by dustydee: 11:18am On Nov 08, 2010
where did it all go?
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Pharoh: 4:42pm On Nov 08, 2010
EzeUche0:

What the people of the Niger Delta and the North should be doing is asking their leaders what is happening to their allocation? The people of the south-east should be questioning the government about why our regions is being neglected. Are we not Nigerian citizens or are we still considered 2nd class citizens? This is the question I pose for you all.

No one is a second class citizen, the good book rightly said that to him which much is given much is expected but why don't you ask your governors what they have done with the little they have received? . Trust me even if they give the south east governors one trillion every month it will still be the same story. Corruption is every where and those delta states just get huge amount of money because of derivation and some other factors that is in favour of the northern parts as well like population and number of LGA's.

South east does not need the huge allocation because if everything is right and put in place, i repeat that statement, they will be ruling Nigeria
. Lagos state does not produce oil or receive 13 percent derivation but it strives on the economic activities going on in that state. The south east states should unite and have a common economic goal for Christ sake. Turn that region into a manufacturing heaven, fight and work so that all those economic activities in Lagos state should gradually start trickling back to the region and watch the development explode.

Let them work and do something useful with the little they receive and in my opinion i rate them higher than any other states because i am not in support of states depending solely on exploitation of natural resources. You and i know that if we wake up 2moro and the oil is gone the niger delta states will be crying with in a short time.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by fASHCEO(m): 4:57pm On Nov 08, 2010
The long term wealth of any state is based on how productive resident of that state are. Natural resources is just a plus.

Check out the latest Nokia, Blackberry, Sony Ericsson & many more electronics, simply hit the below link;
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by chic2pimp(m): 6:58pm On Nov 08, 2010
Pharoh:

Let them work and do something useful with the little they receive and in my opinion i rate them higher than any other states because i am not in support of states depending solely on exploitation of natural resources. You and i know that if we wake up 2moro and the oil is gone the niger delta states will be crying with in a short time.

You must be living in cloud cuckoo land if you actually believe that.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by msaalli(m): 10:16pm On Nov 08, 2010
http://www.economicconfidential.com/x/index.php/facts-a-figures/529-rich-and-poor-states-how-states-shared-n1-trillion-between-january-to-june-2010

This is the link to the original story on the Economic Confidential. It contains the full table of the revenue on a month-to-month basis.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by safariman(m): 11:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
Keep giving me fishes instead of teaching me how to catch
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Nobody: 4:20am On Nov 09, 2010
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by naijaking1: 5:22am On Nov 09, 2010
PStylish:

Dont cry too much south easterners!!! Its not so bad. Remember! there are only 5 states in the SE while others have 6. The NW has 7 so it gave them an edge.

That was the idea in the first place to direct more federal money to NW, how do you say injustice sad sad sad sad
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by juman(m): 12:11pm On Nov 09, 2010
What are the governors doing with the allocations? Stealing. There should be a way to stop this stealing. The federal goverment not ready to fight corruption. its a pity.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by juman(m): 12:19pm On Nov 09, 2010
This round of nonsese will continue except we take hold of it. As the politicians are not ready and not care for the masses, and our country is in dying state, it's best for yorubas to just have our own country. A country with no direction. No future.
Re: Rich & Poor States: How States Shared N1tr In 6 Months by Sunnybobo3(m): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2013
No be today. Time will tell

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos State Governemnt Demolishes SURE-P Head Quarters / 55 Things You Might Not Know About Our Beloved Country, Nigeria / For Peace To Reign In NASS, Tambuwal Should Resign - SAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.