Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,236 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills (15341 Views)

Pick Your Favourite Nigerian Rice Dish. (pictures) / Man Shows Off The Green Fried Rice A Lady Prepared For Xmas (Video) / Fisayo Soyombo Buys Nigerian Rice, Cries Out (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by netpro(m): 8:25am On Oct 16, 2019
Larryfest:
The government isn't serious atal, how difficult and expensive can it be for them to go into rice production and make things easier for the country

The policy is already in place to make it attractive to venture into. One good thing about food production is that the market is ready just waiting for you.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by noobody(m): 8:30am On Oct 16, 2019
Tenses:

I wonder wish local rice still contain stone when the mini destoning machines cost just 400k.

Wetin dey for foreign rice sef wey Nigerians dey go head over hill. You eat preservative, rice wey don stay for shelf for a decade and you'll be boasting I eat foreign rice. Oga eat abakaliki rice and see the difference.

For your classic Abakaliki Rice contact Mikogo Foods at 08981905662.
Out rice is stone free, debris free and polished.

I dont care if its ofada,foreign or local,
Just give me good rice with zero stones,cooks properly and cheap.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by 2shure: 8:33am On Oct 16, 2019
Despite keeping my 2kilos of beans in freezer,weevils still found themselves inside
I ate them like that abeg,infact nigerians are just fraud everywhere. 2days later i realised my cream soda i bought from a supernarket had expired since 2017. My God. I have drank enough agbo to minus the poison wey i drink o. God abeg o. So we all have to be using magnifying glass to check expiry date of daily beverages and all. My God. Nigeria is doomed for life. Well i still got about 4kilos of rice ledt,na beans with fried plantain i wan dey eat like this.

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by netpro(m): 8:37am On Oct 16, 2019
kolaaderin:
I say it to you, you are a liar.

The lie will shock even the devil. There are many quality Nigerian Rice brands. There is always room for improvement.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by tenmariner: 8:47am On Oct 16, 2019
martowskin1:

No body is talking about good nor bad here....

The issue is cost, how can a local rice be expensive than imported rice....

This things doesn't really make sense, leaders make policy that will ease the suffering of their people, Nigeria do the opposite.

If we are actually doing the right thing, local rice should be far cheaper that imported, this will in turn increase demand of it... There killing imported rice out of market.

But Nigeria no way, mehnnn .... Na them sabi, it pays nothing to live in Nigeria, anyone who have opportunity to leave shouldn't think twice ....

When food become expensive, then what are doing?

I never knew someone is going through the same thing as me. The cost of a derica of our local rice is within 280-400. Before border closure the foreign one was within 220-250..I am not against border closure but price control should be done because that will determine the success of this policy!
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by kayzat: 9:10am On Oct 16, 2019
shakol91:
The 2 bags we bought in august were not different from foreign.. The caterer was amazed when she heard it's not foreign. I don't know where people dey see stone rice.

You guys are lucky to get get good version of the local rice. Many of the local ones are terrible

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by beautyhound(m): 9:15am On Oct 16, 2019
solmusdesigns:
cry

The way Nigerians talk about Rice eehn!!!

Thanks becos it is our Staple food... look up the meaning on google man.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by Willie2015: 9:37am On Oct 16, 2019
DaudaAbu:

how can we produce enough if we dont close the border? Its like the question of the chicken or the egg, which comes first?

Moreover, the border closure has nothing to do with banning rice. Rice has been banned for long. its only smugglers that are having a field day smuggling it in. Moreso once the smuggling continue people would not be serious in increasing the cultivation because there wont be the demand fot it.

Cost of production of rice is too high in Nigeria...
Our products are not competitive ....
Thats the general problem of Agric value chain in Nigeria.....
Thats the reason our local rice can,t compete with foreign rice....
Let FG fix the rice value chain for a bag of 50kg local rice to go for btn N5000 and N6000 at retail prices.....
We will all abandon foreign rice that goes for N17,000 plus....
There will be no motivation to smuggle rice ....foreign rice will have a natural death....
Border control can only last for a while ....and we are back to status quo again...

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by somehow: 10:39am On Oct 16, 2019
Since I've been eating Nigerian rice, I'm yet to witness any stone
maybe I'm the only fortunate one in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by somehow: 10:44am On Oct 16, 2019
Willie2015:

Cost of production of rice is too high in Nigeria...
Our products are not competitive ....
Thats the general problem of Agric value chain in Nigeria.....
Thats the reason our local rice can,t compete with foreign rice....
Let FG fix the rice value chain for a bag of 50kg local rice to go for btn N5000 and N6000 at retail prices.....
We will all abandon foreign rice that goes for N17,000 plus....
There will be no motivation to smuggle rice ....foreign rice will have a natural death....
Border control can only last for a while ....and we are back to status quo again...

Before boarder closure against smuggling, how much was foreign rice selling for?

They should give out local rice for free because its local?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by Sagemind(m): 11:03am On Oct 16, 2019
Ebonyi State sells de-stoned Rice. Visit any store that has the Abakaliki rice and you would get a chaff and stone free rice.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by mu2sa2: 11:12am On Oct 16, 2019
kolaaderin:
I say it to you, you are a liar.
Bros, if not because of my regard for decency, I would have said point blank that he is a bloody liar.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by mindtricks: 11:17am On Oct 16, 2019
netpro:
With all the efforts of the present administration to encourage the cultivation, production and consumption of locally produced rice, one reoccurring complaints from Nigerians is the presence of stones in the rice.

Many people will even accept to pay more for a foreign rice over a cheaper local ones. Some dubious marketers have even gone to the extent or rebagging local rice as foreign.

I wish to call on the government Local, States and the Federal to invest in establishing state-of-the-art modern Rice Mills. Even private businesses can own one, especially in States with rice farming. Also existing Mills needs to be upgraded immediately.

I believe a well processed local Nigerian Rice will encourage patronage and consumption.

Proudly Nigerian.

Government's lip service is the summary of it all.
They act like they mean it, but infact they don't mean it.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by netpro(m): 12:15pm On Oct 16, 2019
mindtricks:

Government's lip service is the summary of it all.
They act like they mean it, but infact they don't mean it.

I can't say of most programmes of Government, but on this, the Federal Government has put in efforts that is commendable enough to indicate it is serious. From Bank of Agriculture loans to CBN programmes and forex restrictions to Boarder Closure. These are very definite and bold steps towards encouraging and boosting local Food Production.

I put it to you that if you have land and ready you will get the needed funding. Food production is lucrative. The market is there waiting for you already.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by XwhY(m): 12:58pm On Oct 16, 2019
If establishment of good rice mills will make up rise, then let's rise.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by renewable1(m): 1:33pm On Oct 16, 2019
The stones in our locally made rice is so terrible.

minimum 8hours electricity daily is possible with our 1kva solar system. Check my signature now
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by somehow: 2:37pm On Oct 16, 2019
renewable1:
The stones in our locally made rice is so terrible.

minimum 8hours electricity daily is possible with our 1kva solar system. Check my signature now
Tell us the brand name you are referencing
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by ogunsj: 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2019
Hush08181801636:
If I may ask, cant FG establish Rice Mlls?
. must government do everything? this is an opportunity for people to invest in the rice business and make a killing.where are the money bags? no, they won't invest to create jobs for Nigerians rather they prefer starching our money abroad to help other economies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:12pm On Oct 16, 2019
shakol91:
The 2 bags we bought in august were not different from foreign.. The caterer was amazed when she heard it's not foreign. I don't know where people dey see stone rice.
Most of them don't buy destoned rice and yet fail to manually picture out the stones and expect not to eat stones. It's like cooking beans without picking it. Been eating abakaliki rice since 2016 and I've never eaten stones. I use to go the the rice mill, but and destone it there until I moved to a rather place and started buying it from the market. When it comes to this local rice of a thing, our people are just looking down on it or feel inferior because it's not in foreign bags. Some of the foreign rice they eat are rebagged local rice.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:18pm On Oct 16, 2019
Tomiwa69:
I chop one yesterday
The stone wey dey there thick like Zuma rock
they didn't destone it and the cook didn't bother to pick it. The probably bought the cheap one. If you go to rice mill, they all have grades. Just like whey other thing is grade by grade. You can the one you can afford and proceed to destone it which is also not expensive. If you can buy a bag of foreign rice 20k, why can't you buy local rice of 14 to 16k? I know out problem is beyond closure of border but we have good rice here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2019
garux:
There re numerous rice mills that can process stone free clean local rice. I went to a mill last week and was shock on how clean the rice was and how they swap bags from local looking to foreign packaged label to ensure they sell their products. Since Nigerians dont want to eat cheap local rice, then they ve to repackage that local rice in foreign looking bags and sell very expensive to the same customers.
that's the truth. And some are here shouting local rice is full of stones meanwhile the so called foreign rice they've been eating is processed at the back of their house here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by sapele914(m): 5:20pm On Oct 16, 2019
netpro:
With all the efforts of the present administration to encourage the cultivation, production and consumption of locally produced rice, one reoccurring complaints from Nigerians is the presence of stones in the rice.

Many people will even accept to pay more for a foreign rice over a cheaper local ones. Some dubious marketers have even gone to the extent or rebagging local rice as foreign.

I wish to call on the government Local, States and the Federal to invest in establishing state-of-the-art modern Rice Mills. Even private businesses can own one, especially in States with rice farming. Also existing Mills needs to be upgraded immediately.

I believe a well processed local Nigerian Rice will encourage patronage and consumption.

Proudly Nigerian.
China started slowly under Mao Zedong (Chairman Mao), the journey of a thousand miles, begins with one step.
Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:25pm On Oct 16, 2019
somehow:

Before boarder closure against smuggling, how much was foreign rice selling for?

They should give out local rice for free because its local?
don't mind them. They can buy foreign rice at 20k but can't afford local rice at 16k. No difference between them and our lying politicians

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by somehow: 5:33pm On Oct 16, 2019
An average Nigerian is as guilty as the politician they insult.
MISSCONGENIALITY:
don't mind them. They can buy foreign rice at 20k but can't afford local rice at 16k. No difference between them and our lying politicians

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Rice: A Call For Better Rice Mills by nlPoster: 8:34pm On Oct 16, 2019
Or mini destoning machines so people can clean the rice themselves?

My impression is some of the stony rice is either improperly processed or is part of the residue from the correctly refined one, just guessing sha.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Palliatives: Rice Price Spikes As FG, States’ Suppliers Mop Up Markets / Effect Of Obesity On The Skeleton. / Please Where Can I Buy Apple Cider Vinegar In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.