Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development (5559 Views)

Blame Obasanjo, Other Leaders For Nigeria’s Woes — SARAKI / Sultan Decries Lack Of Unity Among Muslims: Fooolish Sultan / ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's (Unification) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by Nobody: 2:00am On Nov 09, 2010
[size=18pt]Ooni preaches unity among Yoruba leaders [/size]

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade has asked Yoruba leaders and traditional rulers to be united for the purpose of accelerating the development of the region.

Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijua

The monarch gave the advice in Igbokoda town, in the Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State, during the coronation of the Olugbo of Ugboland, Oba Obateru Akinruntan.

The Ooni, who attended the ceremony in company with other 23 traditional rulers in Yorubaland, said the region would maintain its leadership position in the country if traditional rulers play their roles well to earn the respect of the subjects.

He noted that there were appreciable progress and development in Yorubaland and prayed that God would successfully complete the work he had started in the region.

Sijuwade, who was the chairman of the occasion, said, "It is necessary for traditional rulers and the people to be united and allow peace to reign so that the Yoruba race will continue to witness a robust human and infrastructural development."

He also appealed to the people of Ugboland to support Akinruntan, who, according to him, would make use of his wisdom and God-given wealth to develop the riverside community under his jurisdiction.

Ooni commended the state governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, for presenting the staff of office to the new Olugbo, and urged the state government to improve on the welfare of traditional rulers in the state.

Mimiko said the development of the oil-rich Ilaje area of the state could only be achieved if all ethnic nationalities in the area work together.

He also urged Akinruntan to bring the Mahins, Aheris, Etikans and the Ugbos in Ilaje together for the collective benefit of the people.

He pledged that the state government would continue to provide an enabling environment that would encourage the people of the state to contribute to the development of their communities.

The head of Ojadele ruling house, Chief Roberts Nana, said the coronation was a celebration of victory over some people that wanted to lord themselves over Ugboland.

Akinruntan said his emergence as the monarch had been predicted 28 years ago by a frontline prophet in the area, who he said, told him that he would be inaugurated as a monarch with anointing oil and not with the traditional "Akoko" leaves.

Also in attendance at the ceremony were; Oyo State Deputy Governor, Alhaji Taofeek Arapaja; His counterpart in Ondo, Alhaji Ali Olanusi; Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Hon. Samuel Adesina and the Senator Folashade Bent, who was conferred with a traditional title, among others.

http://odili.net/news/source/2010/nov/8/818.html
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by Nobody: 2:01am On Nov 09, 2010
In due time. . . .
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by jason12345: 2:03am On Nov 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

In due time. . . .
abi ooo! a wa omo itsekiri nko?
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by Nobody: 2:07am On Nov 09, 2010
jason12345:

abi ooo! a wa omo itsekiri nko?

Nothing stopping your leaders from recognizing themselves as Yoruba. We don't turn away from ANYBODY.

My own is unity. . . . if Yoruba leaders unite and follow Ooni's suggestion, what is stopping us from developing?
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by jason12345: 2:33am On Nov 09, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Nothing stopping your leaders from recognizing themselves as Yoruba. We don't turn away from ANYBODY.

My own is unity. . . . if Yoruba leaders unite and follow Ooni's suggestion, what is stopping us from developing?

isn't olu of warri united with the yoruba leaders?
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by TewMuch: 2:37am On Nov 09, 2010
OOni needs to take his own suggestion and try to be a true and neutral leader instead of degrading himself to toro kobo monarch.Helping PDP politicians.Abeg make the useless man go sit down for somewhere he has lost his respect and relevance.Am sure he is looking for money as PDP's star is begining to fade in SW.The man is a disgrace and has abused his position.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by Nobody: 4:45am On Nov 09, 2010
TewMuch:

OOni needs to take his own suggestion and try to be a true and neutral leader instead of degrading himself to toro kobo monarch.Helping PDP politicians.Abeg make the useless man go sit down for somewhere he has lost his respect and relevance.Am sure he is looking for money as PDP's star is begining to fade in SW.The man is a disgrace and has abused his position.

Are you confusing Oba Ooni with Oni of Ekiti?

jason12345:

isn't olu of warri united with the yoruba leaders?
I guess. Your people already tied with the Yoruba so . . . wink

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-312145.0.html
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by hercules07: 8:58am On Nov 09, 2010
The Ooni should do what is necessary by removing himself from existence, if not for Awolowo that gave his lineage prominence, the Ooni title is a nonentity in Yorubaland, ponkious man.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by fstranger: 9:05am On Nov 09, 2010
hercules07:

The Ooni should do what is necessary by removing himself from existence, if not for Awolowo that gave his lineage prominence, the Ooni title is a nonentity in Yorubaland, ponkious man.

Please , do not address the Ooni in such rude manner again. I know you are not from the SW, so I will not use your ignorance against you. But watch your mouth, very important.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by PhilMoane: 2:54pm On Nov 09, 2010
Oni does not deserve any respect again.
I think he sold his crown to his belly during IBB and Abacha days.
Don't think he could pay back the cost of the crown.
Oba alatenuje.

My respect goes to Alaafin of Oyo and Ori ade ti Ibadan.

Think they are better yoruba royal dynasty than the Thief aka Ooni.
Shio to him and those who still think he worths a pint of salt.
Ole.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by sbeezy8: 3:36pm On Nov 09, 2010
ooni and alaafin are the SAME both are politicians and PDP friendly.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by T9ksy(m): 3:44pm On Nov 09, 2010
@ pHIL Moane & Tewmuch,

Thank you guys fro saying asit truly is. Indeed, the Ooni has  lost  all credibility and moral standing to preach about yoruba unity.
Maybe, he could try responding to the Awujale of Ijebu's allegation (in his recent autobiography) that He the Ooni was the ONLY traditional leader from yorubaland that was in sync with Ibb's decision to annul the June 12th, 1992 election won by MKO.

Let him come and swear before his constituency on the dead bodies of his forefathers that his betrayal of the yorubas (to Ibb) was without any financial remunerations.

What an a.r.se****.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by sbeezy8: 3:47pm On Nov 09, 2010
T9ksy:

@ pHIL Moane & Tewmuch,

Thank you guys fro saying asit truly is. Indeed, the Ooni has lost all credibility and moral standing to preach about yoruba unity.
Maybe, he could try responding to the Awujale of Ijebu's allegation (in his recent autobiography) that He the Ooni was the ONLY traditional leader from yorubaland that was in sync with Ibb's decision to annul the June 12th, 1992 election won by MKO.
Let him come and swear before his constituency on the dead bodies of his forefathers that his betrayal of the yorubas (to Ibb) was without any financial remunerations.

What an a.r.se****.

alaafin said it was him and he said it was alaafin i dont know whos telling the tuth
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by AloyEmeka5: 4:21pm On Nov 09, 2010
The same man who sold Abiola's mandate  to Northerners for one naira?. He didn't remember Yoruba development when he was betraying Abiola?.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by contribute: 4:28pm On Nov 09, 2010
@fstranger

I am an authentic omo ibadaan, anyone who knows true Yoruba history will know that the Ooni is a nonentity in title and in deed. Please pick up a book on Yoruba history, you think this Ooni could have tried the nonsense he did with the Alaafin if it was in the 18th and 19th Century? The alaafin would have had his head on a stick in a jiffy.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by hercules07: 4:51pm On Nov 09, 2010
@fstranger

That was me using my friend's id to respond to you.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by sbeezy8: 4:52pm On Nov 09, 2010
haha he got caught impersonating a yoruba
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by revomind(m): 7:34pm On Nov 09, 2010
contribute:

@fstranger

I am an authentic omo ibadaan, anyone who knows true Yoruba history will know that the Ooni is a nonentity in title and in deed. Please pick up a book on Yoruba history, you think this Ooni could have tried the nonsense he did with the Alaafin if it was in the 18th and 19th Century? The alaafin would have had his head on a stick in a jiffy.

True talk. Most Yoruba folks don't know their history despite it being quite well-documented. The only reason the Ooni is going about like he's the top boss is immediate post-independence politics, AWO and A.G specifically. I believe if we read our history well, we'd see that the Ibadan monarchy even deserves to be placed on a higher pedestal than the Ooni afterall it saved the Yoruba from Fulani invasion.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by hercules07: 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2010
Sbeezy8

I responded to fstranger on my friend's laptop, he is also a member of nairaland, why will I impersonate a yoruba man when I am one, ask inspired of auto section.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by fstranger: 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
hercules07:

@fstranger

That was me using my friend's id to respond to you.
Eni a ba l'aba ni baba.

Oranmiyan came back from Benin, got to Ife, his father had died and having sent all his children away to form their different kingdoms, a Chief Priest was installed to take care of the palace and the over a thousand divinities there. The person is called the Arole Oodua.

When Oranmiyan came back, he met somebody on the throne. Rather than exert his authority like Alaafin and Sikiru would have done, said "Eni a ba l'aba ni Baba". He left Ife, went to Oyo and formed another kingdom there.

Since then, no TRUE Yoruba son would attack Ife or the Arole. Rather, during the inter Yoruba warfare, displaced people sought for and were granted refuge in Ife, which led to the Modakeke and other settlements in Ife.

So, it is stupid for either Alaafin, or any TRUE son of Yorubaland, to speak derogratively of the one that presides over the throne of their forefathers.

Ooni is not one of the sons of Oduduwa, but he took charge of the home front when others had gone away and presides over the throne of the Father of Yorubas, (Oduduwa) so, he is the Baba and others, just like Oranmiyan did, just have to respect that fact.

Dont get it twisted, guys! We run Yorubaland.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by EzeUche0(m): 10:32pm On Nov 09, 2010
The day that this happens, will be when the Hausa leave Nigeria, because they have no use for oil anymore. grin
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by becomrich5: 1:46am On Nov 10, 2010
keep quiet, oni of ife is the sp[iritual head of the yoruba people, you have no respect for us and our culture , and you want us to live with you. ? are you people ok.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by DapoBear(m): 2:15am On Nov 10, 2010
hercules07: Even if you do not respect the man himself, at least show some respect for the office and what it represents. Ibadan or any other place might be more powerful, but Ife was the birthplace of our people. Show some respect.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by Nobody: 3:04am On Nov 10, 2010
becomrich5:

keep quiet, oni of ife is the sp[iritual head of the yoruba people, you have no respect for us and our culture , and you want us to live with you. ? are you people ok.
grin grin
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by hercules07: 4:58am On Nov 10, 2010
Apparently you guys do not know authentic Yoruba history, Ife was sacked three times by the Modakekes who forgave Ife people each time, the British met the Ibadans fighting the Ifes in the late 19th Century.
The Basorun of Oyo had far more primacy than the Ooni, the Alaafin was the all in all and no silly Chief Priest could raise his voice to him, who born am? The Ibadans were the ones appointing the Ooni at a time.
When you call something a nonentity, that means it is not significant, check out the name on all the treaties signed with oyinbo in the 19th century, you will see Alaafin the king of Yoruba on it.
The present Ooni is the one scattering Osun state and you ask me to respect him?
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by DapoBear(m): 5:18am On Nov 10, 2010
Suggest some books that discuss the history more accurately. And fill in the details on how he is dividing Osun state. Not everyone is aware as you are; my ears are open and I am willing to learn.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by hercules07: 5:50am On Nov 10, 2010
Just search for a book titled the history of the yorubas, also, check out the books written by all those missionaries that came to Western Nigeria, you can also look out for the treaties signed between the yorubas and England. Ask yourself why the Fulanis destroyed the original Oyo rather than Ife. The present Ooni is dividing Osun by imposing candidates on the people, his palace is now polling center and PDP primaries collation center, the last election was rigged in Ife as Oyinlola lost in ijesha land and the oyo speaking towns like oshogbo.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by birdman(m): 6:12am On Nov 10, 2010
Lol at this monkey of a man "preaching" unity. The same m*fcker who wanted to evict Modakeke because they were indentured servants some hundred years ago. Were it not for the army, Ife was intent on wiping them out. Make Ogun punish the b*st*rd in his sleep.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by tpia5: 6:17am On Nov 10, 2010
who wanted to evict Modakeke because they were indentured servants some hundred years ago

can you explain further abi you just want to scatter this place.

never heard this version before. I thought the modakekes migrated from oyo due to the fulani invasion or internecine wars.

when did they become indentured servants or are you referring to the farms they cultivated for the Ifes or some other such thing.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by tpia5: 6:18am On Nov 10, 2010
Ask yourself why the Fulanis destroyed the original Oyo rather than Ife

why was that.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by birdman(m): 6:34am On Nov 10, 2010
tpia@:

can you explain further abi you just want to scatter this place.

never heard this version before. I thought the modakekes migrated from oyo due to the fulani invasion or internecine wars.

when did they become indentured servants or are you referring to the farms they cultivated for the Ifes or some other such thing.

Modakeke were Oyo war migrants as you said. They were technically indentured servants because the Ife retained ownership of that land. Hence Modakeke paid homage and taxes to Ife, which is all well and good. To ask for the same homage post Nigeria, and definitely post Awo's western region unification is retarded, and most Yoruba understand this. No Yoruba is slave to another, an idea the Ooni cant wrap his head around obviously. The last, really bloody war during Abach'a regime was triggered by the Ooni sending his men to ransack and disgrace the Modakeke community leader, 1850 style. He was pretty sure he could get away with it, seeing as he was in bed with Abacha at the time.
Re: Ooni Preaches Unity Among Yoruba Leaders For Yorubaland's Development by DapoBear(m): 6:45am On Nov 10, 2010
Hrm. Still, let us remember that division in Yorubaland has pretty much preceded all of our defeats. We have other enemies in this land and cannot afford to succumb to infighting. Next few years will be critical in our history; we have to keep our eyes on the prize.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

And Just What "if" Jonathan Wins The Election. / Gej Suspend Independence Anniversary Till 2014 / DANGEROUS WORDS FROM ALIYU GWARZO.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.