Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,742 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (1402 Views)

When Buhari Finally Restructures Nigeria! (future Pic) / United Nations FAO Data Shows GEJ And Adeshina Working: GEJ 2015-2019 / My Worries About Nairaland And Nigeria’s Future. (NL Is Dividing Us) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by isalegan2: 3:42am On Nov 09, 2010
Re: . by isalegan2: 2:15am On Nov 22, 2010
Re: . by bkbabe97y(m): 2:21am On Nov 22, 2010
isale_gan2:

So, Cap,

It's late in UK, but I had some other Nigeria/African issues to bring up with you.  It's kind of faded some though because of my immediate concern about other things, I guess.  Dude, what gives with the fights?  It's taking on a weird tone.  That whole thing with Sagamite re: Eva Longwhoria  grin.  Okay, smile.  Anyway, I just didn't know if you all had history or what.  And some other shizz brewing in the Fashola video thread.  Just WTH. LOL

The debates are awesome.  You have a lot of insight.  And some of the other posters do too, despite the prevalence of the Uncle Ruckuses (from Boondocks) in our midst.  So, let's keep our eye on the prize, why don't we.  Or we can start our own forum.  Just kidding, I think.  wink Hey, a blog wouldn't be a bad idea, bro.

I'll probably edit this once you show up, and we can actually talk about relevant topics.  Thanks.
Damn, talk about being all up on a nigga's nuts!
Re: . by isalegan2: 2:26am On Nov 22, 2010
Dude, You don't know me.

You're welcome to stick around, but keep the vulgarity out of this thread. Thanks.
Re: . by Mariory(m): 2:42am On Nov 22, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Damn, talk about being all up on a nigga's nuts!

Ok that was actually funny. grin

Alright back on topic. isale_gan2 carry on.
Re: . by cap28: 12:21am On Nov 23, 2010
dear isale sorry for not getting back to you sooner, how are you doing?

thanks again for your brief comments on the fashola thread, sometimes i get so incensed at the responses from some posters, i know it doesnt really look cool when one has to descend to the level of abuse but sometimes it just cant be helped with the kind of opinions and responses that fly back and forth on here!! oh well what can you do.

yeah you were talking about starting up a blog - that is definitely something i intend to do very soon, actually its a work in progress, your input will be appreciated.

with regard to your comments about some of my views on some previous posts - my point was that i do not regard ojukwu as a befitting igbo leader, in my view he started out with an honourable cause but somewhere along the line he failed us, if biafra had succeeded in seceding 40 years ago we would have become a beacon to the entire black race but the odds were severely stacked against us and i think if we had someone of greater vision and experience leading the secession movement it would have been a different story.

Right now i am totally dissillusioned with nigeria and the people running it, they have nothing to offer the nigerian people or future generations to come except unemployment, more crime, more poverty and more collapsed institutions. We are now entering the second and possibly final stage of enslavement and we will not get out from under it until the ordinary working masses revolt and overthrow the elite which is running nigeria.

I mentioned that the best thing for nigeria now is to split along ethnic lines because i do not see any viable future for it as one nation, we are just too divided and have too many conflicting interests at play. I think if we seperate along ethnicity it will engender a feeling of nationalistic pride amongst each respective ethnic group that in turn will create a willingness on the part of the people within those groups to work towards building and developing their own respective part of the country.

anyway take care and speak soon smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: . by MandingoII(m): 4:52am On Nov 23, 2010

Right now i am totally dissillusioned with nigeria and the people running it, they have nothing to offer the nigerian people or future generations to come except unemployment, more crime, more poverty and more collapsed institutions. We are now entering the second and possibly final stage of enslavement and we will not get out from under it until the ordinary working masses revolt and overthrow the elite which is running nigeria.

shocked shocked shocked shocked

This nigga STAY NEGATIVE.

This mofo don't know the meaning of happiness.

so he pushes it all upon Nairaland.

sad a.r.s.e nigerian in the UK
Re: . by Mariory(m): 6:40am On Nov 23, 2010
MandingoII:

You're not the only one that has noticed it. He wants bloody revolution so he can join fellow warriors on the interweb in order to destroy our enslavers. grin
Re: . by isalegan2: 8:50am On Nov 23, 2010
cap28:

dear isale sorry for not getting back to you sooner, how are you doing?

thanks again for your brief comments on the fashola thread, sometimes i get so incensed at the responses from some posters, i know it doesnt really look cool when one has to descend to the level of abuse but sometimes it just cant be helped with the kind of opinions and responses that fly back and forth on here!! oh well what can you do.

I know some Naijas can be quite verbally abusive, but nairaland takes it to a whole other level, so I understand.  I notice how perfectly rational posters metamorphosize into all kinds of hideous characters. Yup, what can you do?  Other than take a time-out, maybe, and or take a deep breath.  Easy to say when I'm not the one being attacked.  Anyway, I think you guys like the verbal sparring, so I'll get off your back about that. smiley

yeah you were talking about starting up a blog - that is definitely something i intend to do very soon, actually its a work in progress, your input will be appreciated.

Actually, I was just teasing about that.  But, that's good.  You can rant in peace.  hehe.  And invite your nemeses to join when you need a good fight. 

-Isale Gangan
Re: . by isalegan2: 9:09am On Nov 23, 2010
cap28:

with regard to your comments about some of my views on some previous posts - my point was that i do  not regard ojukwu as a befitting igbo leader, in my view he started out with an honourable cause but somewhere along the line he failed us, if biafra had succeeded in seceding 40 years ago we would have become a beacon to the entire black race but the odds were severely stacked against us and i think if we had someone of greater vision and experience[b] leading the secession movement [/b] it would have been a different story.

Okay, so this is where it gets dicey.  We're at a crossroads here, because I couldn't disagree more.  I never expect any Nigerian who was around or who has heard first-hand retelling of the war and the fear engendered in people and everything else a civil war entails to ever think that a "secession" or a violent overthrow, (because trust me, there is no revolution without violence) would be our way to resolving the problem of Nigeria. 

Honestly, that has been tried.  And it failed.  Woefully. 

It's been done!  Why go back to an experiment that failed?  Do you not think a lot of the problems we continue to face: the division, the paranoia, the unrelenting tribalism - "oh, they have more than we do, oh the Hausa have this and that" and all that nonsense - is us still paying for this hideous war?  All the people that died.  Look at any society that's suffered a civil war - how many decades later they're still trying to put themselves back together.  It's like a human being who has been traumatized (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, if you will), do they not continue to rebuild their lives decades later?  Talk less of a country made up of millions of parts? 

I just personally, without delving too much into the logistics of the war, am so not in favor anything close to even a suggestion of breaking away.  Who are you breaking away from?  You really think the Hausas are out to destroy Ibos, or Yorubas are trying to overthrow or overtake any other tribe?  Puh-leeze!  Let's even skip 1, 2, 3, 9 steps of what needs to take place to accomplish a "successful" secession, to predict conditions of a post-divided Nigeria? 

Think about India and Pakistan, did they not get into another war right after they divided?  Did another country (Bangladesh) not break away afterwards?  Are Pakistan and India not engaged in a death struggle until now?  One eyeing the other.  Each sleeping with one eye open?  "Hey, are they gonna get weapons of mass destruction before we do?  Hey, why are they so cosy with that enemy and that friend?" On and on forever.  Each one continuing to be a pawn in the chess game of the western powers? 

So, in Africa, after the Imperialists Invasions, Western Exploitation of our Natural Resources, Slavery, Colonization, Independence Struggles, Military Coups, Apartheid, Internecine wars, Border conflicts, Oil boom, Financial ruin and back to Rebuilding again, we are going to regress to a civil war in the giant of Africa?  How does this take place?  What influence do you think that will have on our neighbours, hanging tenuously onto democracy.  I mean.  Seriously! 

-Isale Gangan

It's late here, so I'll pick this up after you reply.
Re: . by isalegan2: 9:28am On Nov 23, 2010
cap28:

Right now i am totally dissillusioned with nigeria and the people running it, they have nothing to offer the nigerian people or future generations to come except unemployment, more crime, more poverty and more collapsed institutions.  We are now entering the second and possibly final stage of enslavement and we will not get out from under it until the ordinary working masses revolt and overthrow the elite which is running nigeria. 

I'll come back to this.

I mentioned that the best thing for nigeria now is to split along ethnic lines because i do not see any viable future for it as one nation, we are just too divided and have too many conflicting interests at play.  I think if we seperate along ethnicity it will engender a feeling of nationalistic pride amongst each respective ethnic group that in turn will create a willingness on the part of the people within those groups to work towards building and developing their own respective part of the country.

I am not fundamentally opposed to that.  But, once again, we tried this!  Wasn't the (tri-regional) first republic* the closest thing we had to this?  Even Awo, in one of the numerous speeches posted on this very forum, mentioned something similar?  Not splitting up the country, but something along the lines of each area taking pride in and devoloping their own region?* 

I hate to disabuse you of this dream, Cap28, but the country will not be redrawn strictly along ethnic lines - again. 

The closest thing to it, will continue to be the creation of more states to assuage the groups agitating for more self-determination - that "freedom and power" coming in the form of voting power.  They'll have more representatives in congress, and they get to maybe elect, for governor, a native son, or someone close to their ethnic group as they can get. 

Ultimately, where does this really lead us?  You can think it till the cows come home.  You know, Yorubas like to say "Yoruba Ronu."  You can ronu forever until infinity, to come up with a reconstruction of this artificial boundary called Nigeria, but it's all we've got.  For me, I worry less about redrawing and splitting apart, Nigeria, but bringing together all of Africa.  And, despite all the naysayers, and negativity that's latched itself onto the Nigerian soul, because of all the suffering, the one step forward and 2 steps back dance of our national progress, I think a sizable number of the people in power all over Africa are making progress towards that.  Are we not consolidating our passports into one passport for West Africa now?  It's a drop in the bucket, but it's a start.  I'm sure there'll be more.

The above is simply my opinion, not academically researched, so feel free to pick it apart.  smiley

anyway take care and speak soon  smiley smiley smiley smiley

No worries.   smiley

-Isale Gangan

Wow, this can be time-consuming, heh?  How do you do all those long replies?  Dang it.

I'm also thinking, maybe this thread is just creating a whole new can of worms.  I visualize it as a way to have meaningful discussions, especially about all the things that interest and concern me about Nigeria, and to take you to task for what I saw as contradictory in your statements about Nigeria's future and past.  We'll see.  If the thread outlives its usefulness, we'll have to pull the plug.  I think some of your sparring partners will follow you here.  Hopefully, there'll be no casualties. 

edited: *corected from "confederacy." Dunno where that came from.
Re: . by isalegan2: 8:16pm On Nov 23, 2010
Hey, I mentioned BOONDOCKS to you before.  One of the best episodes I've seen was on last night,  The Story of Catcher Freeman, in which an action hero type helps to liberate slaves on a plantation.  It's told in flashbacks, with Granpa telling a tale about one of his forebears, a free back called Catcher Freeman; then the self-hating black guy, Uncle Ruckus, tells his version of this dubious tale.  In the end, Huey, the protagonist of The Boondocks series, researches the archives and tells the "true" story. 

My favorite part of it is that the girl is actually the hero.  Holla!

There haven't been any new episodes for a while.  I'm just late to watching the rebroadcasts.  Also available on DVD.

My only complaint about the series, is that, being a contoversial show there are many aspects and even entire episodes that I don't like.  That's to be expected from a work that seeks to be ground-breaking, so I don't begrudge McGruder that.  He has to express his ideas his own way.  And he is known for going out of his way to rile people up. For example, the Usher episode, I just don't get.  Too much B-word thrown all over the place.  McGruder says there is so much beaneath the surface though.  That there is a deeper meaning and a bigger story he's trying to tell with each one.  The underlying theme always revolves around Black Liberation.

If I can, I'll post links to video excerpts.

Found their site/blog.  I don't like the layout.  http://www.boondocksbootleg.com/
An interesting feature on an episode:  http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2010/06/21/aaron-mcgruders-boondocks-mocks-tyler-perry/

BTW, I am still on topic.  wink  The thread is about:
1) everything I want to discuss about Nigeria and all that relates to it.  Plus,
2) issues I want to discuss with you, hence "F. O. A. Cap28."

I'll check back periodically.  Hope things are going well for you.  Are you really relocating shortly?  Best of luck with that.  I will be doing that soon too.  Though I'm told by lots of folks to stay bi-continental.  One way or the other, it'll be done.   smiley

-Isale Gangan
Re: . by isalegan2: 1:17am On Nov 24, 2010
cap28:

I said I'd tackle this later.  I'm not sure how to start.  It'll have to be stream of consciousness.

What's making you feel this way?

All day, reading about the planning and political maneuverings leading up to the presidential election, it just kind of hit me: Wow, the Ibos haven't had one of their own as Head of State in eons.  It kind of made me understand a little better what may be contributing to why some express feelings of being marginalized.  Or maybe it's just the ones on NL.  Honestly, Nigerians used to get along better in the old days.  A non-Nigerian or even a Nigerian who hasn't lived in the country in years, reading Nairaland and some of the internet stuff,  would think all the tribes are at each others throats 24/7.  Another Rwanda.  God forbid it!  That'll not happen in my generation, I resolve.   Even the Rwandans didn't expect that.  They got along great too, until the usual suspects worked their evil magic.  I digress.   smiley

So, yeah.  Am not sure how it's all gonna turn out, but I'm not giving up hope.  I know life for most in Naija is unreal.  Who'd have thought we'd be looking back in 2010, and still NEPA continues to take light.  Generators became a permanent household appliance.   

Still, I just don't feel hopeless or disillusioned.  Yet.  Not permanently anyway.
There's some progress being made.  There's ongoing investigations of corrupt politicians, the ones going into public service simply to go chop money will be weeded out.  Then they'll go for the big guys.  Maybe that'll keep people like IBB and OBJ out of it so we can move forward.   Retire them for good.  After 8 years each, stay the heck out! 

We'll see.    smiley

-Isale Gangan
Re: . by cap28: 3:25pm On Nov 26, 2010
MandingoII:

uncle tom why do you insist on stalking me all over NL?  I thought you said you prefer being in the company of whites rather than africans because you have more in common with them -   remember these words:

MandingoII:

What Africans FAIL to realize

is that Black Americans have more in common with their OPPPRESSOR.  The White man, THAN WITH AFRICANS.

personally, I feel more comfortable around White People (who I ignore) Than Africans (whose culture -I Cannnot get with)

I just showed u above^^^^^^Black Culture in Amerikka.

Understand it.,

Allow it to sink in.

Get with it.

All Black people DO NOT have the same CULTURE.  S. African and Nigerians DO NOT MIX.  Why?

different cultures

and remember my response:

Just as i thought - you desperately crave to be a white man - so in effect you are a self hating black man trapped in a black man's body thanks for letting us know, now i ask you this - what the hell are you doing on nairaland? why arent you trading stocks on the NYSE (if you can understand how it works) and amassing more of your supposed wealth- could it be because you are just another miserable, underemployed african american man earning minimum wage in some dead end job?

Okay so we have now established that you secretely love and admire whitey and would love nothing better if you could wake up tomorrow, look in the mirror and discover that you are now a white man who no longer has to walk around with the burden of being a black man in america, surely that means that the only reason that you have beef with white america is that you are resentful of the fact that you were born a black man and not because you beleive that the white supremacist system is unjust - how tragic!!

So youve got more in common with the white man who according to you you choose to ignore  grin grin grin than africans - wow im so impressed!!!

according to you - you and whitey both have the same culture - thats funny because the last time i checked white americans opted for complete and total separation from your communities - why is it that after the brown v board of education decision which permitted blacks to attend schools with white children the majority of whites went on a crazy rampage threatenting to kill, maim or beat blacks who dared to venture into their schools or neighbourhods , also explain to me why Kennedy had to call out federal troops to escort your african american people into white schools for their own security and protection.

You see what you are doing here is exposing just how desperate and pathetic you are, cant you get it through your thick skull that these people dont want you?  why are you begging people who hate you to accept you into their communities?  Why are  you pretending to have the same "culture" as people who handed down a second hand culture to you which you glorify, praise and pretend was something created out of your own ingenuity?

American culture is empty, false and based on immorality,greed, hatred and empty materialism and this is what people like you praise and aspire to.

You know what?  you deserve the hellish existence that you have been condemned to in america.

Now i understand why you are so mad at me and continue stalking me all over NL  grin grin grin grin
Re: . by MandingoII(m): 3:31pm On Nov 26, 2010
[size=18pt]
You have NO SOLUTIONS
[/size]

Your Brain consistently think Negative,

It must sux to be you, because everything you say = its all bad.

You must be an illegal immigrant in the U.K.

You still in your immigrant Hostility stage, which means LIFE for you in the U.K. is a struggle.
Re: . by cap28: 5:21pm On Nov 26, 2010
isale_gan2:

Okay, so this is where it gets dicey.  We're at a crossroads here, because I couldn't disagree more.  I never expect any Nigerian who was around or who has heard first-hand retelling of the war and the fear engendered in people and everything else a civil war entails to ever think that a "secession" or a violent overthrow, (because trust me, there is no revolution without violence) would be our way to resolving the problem of Nigeria.

Honestly, that has been tried.  And it failed.  Woefully.

Isale you have to remember that Ojukwu did not set out to start a war - he merely wanted secession which he believed he could achieve through non violent means, unfortunately his inexperience prevented him from seeing the bigger picture and it also prevented him from understanding that former colonial powers such as britain had a greater interest in keeping nigeria "united" , not because they were interested in the development of the country as one entity but because this would be the only way they could ensure they retained control over the vast oil reserves located in the south east.  The british had already appointed the northerners as their stooges who were to run nigeria in accordance with the economic policies set out by them, they did not trust an igbo or yoruba leader in that role hence their decision to jail Awo on trumped up charges and relegate Zik to a powerless political position after "independence".

Therefore it is wrong to conclude that the secession movement was a failure as it was brutally and violently crushed by a puppet govt who were acting under instructions from britain.

It's been done!  Why go back to an experiment that failed?  Do you not think a lot of the problems we continue to face: the division, the paranoia, the unrelenting tribalism - "oh, they have more than we do, oh the Hausa have this and that" and all that nonsense - is us still paying for this hideous war?  All the people that died.  Look at any society that's suffered a civil war - how many decades later they're still trying to put themselves back together.  It's like a human being who has been traumatized (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, if you will), do they not continue to rebuild their lives decades later?  Talk less of a country made up of millions of parts?  

This "experiment" as you describe it did not just occur out of the blue - the igbos were being massacred in the north by hausa lynch mobs, the nigerian head of state at the time - Gowon - did nothing to stop these massacres, as a result over 50,000 igbos were butchered in unprovoked attacks by hausas, the igbos were forced to flee to the south east to protect their lives and property, some igbos who tried to escape were butchered while trying to make their way east - the surviving igbos were completely traumatised by this situation and felt that the only option open to us was secession.  

Desperate times call for desperate solutions, but in this instance the call for secession by igbos was justified, the only other option was extermination at the hands of the northern oligarchy.

I just personally, without delving too much into the logistics of the war, am so not in favor anything close to even a suggestion of breaking away.  Who are you breaking away from?  You really think the Hausas are out to destroy Ibos, or Yorubas are trying to overthrow or overtake any other tribe?  Puh-leeze!  Let's even skip 1, 2, 3, 9 steps of what needs to take place to accomplish a "successful" secession, to predict conditions of a post-divided Nigeria?  

Well the facts speak for themselves, today nigeria is run by the northern oligarchy in conjunction with some yoruba and igbo collaborators who have chosen personal advancement over national advancement.
You only have to look at the inequitable distribution of wealth, the fact that the niger delta region, despite contributing to the bulk of  nigeria's oil revenue suffers acute under development, inadequate infrastructure, environmental degradation, poverty and high crime rates.
nigeria is the only member state of OPEC whose citizens have never enjoyed a rise in their living standards since the discovery of oil

So, in Africa, after the Imperialists Invasions, Western Exploitation of our Natural Resources, Slavery, Colonization, Independence Struggles, Military Coups, Apartheid, Internecine wars, Border conflicts, Oil boom, Financial ruin and back to Rebuilding again, we are going to regress to a civil war in the giant of Africa?  How does this take place?  What influence do you think that will have on our neighbours, hanging tenuously onto democracy.  I mean.  Seriously!

-Isale Gangan

It's late here, so I'll pick this up after you reply.

Well as it stands most african nations remain under imperialist domination, however instead of these imperial nations being physically present in africa they use their financial institutions like the world bank and the imf to impose economic policies on african nations, thereby ensuring that we remain in perpetual debt, their multinational organisations also impose a range of economic trade agreements on african countries which stagnate our economies, undervalue our currencies and create an economic environment favourable for their own businesses whilst detrimental to the growth of our own economies.
Re: . by cap28: 5:43pm On Nov 26, 2010
isale_gan2:

I said I'd tackle this later.  I'm not sure how to start.  It'll have to be stream of consciousness.

What's making you feel this way?

i feel this way because nothing ever seems to change in nigeria, we are still recycling the same old thiefs who destroyed nigeria in the past , IBB who was recently endorsed by the US state department, GEJ - who despite not being a member of the old brigade was involved in a corruption scandal along with his wife in which both of them looted the Bayelsa state treasury of N101 million and $35 million respectively.

Then you have all the other hangers on cronies and sychophants who remain in the corridors of power - these people have nothing positive in store for nigeria, on this basis i think we are still a long way away from an emancipated nation, in full control of our destiny.

All day, reading about the planning and political maneuverings leading up to the presidential election, it just kind of hit me: Wow, the Ibos haven't had one of their own as Head of State in eons.  It kind of made me understand a little better what may be contributing to why some express feelings of being marginalized.  Or maybe it's just the ones on NL.  Honestly, Nigerians used to get along better in the old days.  A non-Nigerian or even a Nigerian who hasn't lived in the country in years, reading Nairaland and some of the internet stuff,  would think all the tribes are at each others throats 24/7.  Another Rwanda.  God forbid it!  That'll not happen in my generation, I resolve.   Even the Rwandans didn't expect that.  They got along great too, until the usual suspects worked their evil magic.  I digress.   smiley

To be honest with you i dont really care about the ethnicity of nigeria's head of state , i m more concerned about what is in his heart, what his intentions are towards the nigerian people and what his vision and long term goals are for the country, none of the current contenders have shown that they have anything to offer the nigerian people other than more poverty, more mass unemployment, more police brutality more inflated food prices and more overall despair. 

So, yeah.  Am not sure how it's all gonna turn out, but I'm not giving up hope.  I know life for most in Naija is unreal.  Who'd have thought we'd be looking back in 2010, and still NEPA continues to take light.  Generators became a permanent household appliance.   

Still, I just don't feel hopeless or disillusioned.  Yet.  Not permanently anyway.
There's some progress being made.  There's ongoing investigations of corrupt politicians, the ones going into public service simply to go chop money will be weeded out.  Then they'll go for the big guys.  Maybe that'll keep people like IBB and OBJ out of it so we can move forward.   Retire them for good.  After 8 years each, stay the heck out! 

We'll see.    smiley

-Isale Gangan

I wish i could share your optimism, a corrupt system will remain corrupt until the architects of that system are brought to book and punished for their crimes, there is no way that the likes of GEJ, Buhari or IBB can reform a system that they are part of and have created.  IBB appropiated over $12 billion USD during his tenure - to date he has not accounted to the nigerian people as to what he did with the money, various retired generals have millions of stolen money sitting in various bank accounts aroudn the world and these people are the power brokers in nigeria today.   The existing system as it stands is rotten from top to bottom and therefore i dont expect anything constructive from such a system - the only  solution is a grass roots movement which will bring to book all corrupt leaders - past and present, a system that will introduce harsh penalties for all nigerian public officials who choose to appropriate nigeria's oil revenue.
Re: . by isalegan2: 4:22am On Nov 27, 2010
cap28:

Isale you have to remember that Ojukwu did not set out to start a war - he merely wanted secession which he believed he could achieve through non violent means,

Because you can't (attempt to) secede without warfare and casualties.  It didn't happen back then.  And I don't see how it can ever be done. 

Therefore it is wrong to conclude that the secession movement was a failure as it was brutally and violently crushed by a puppet govt who were acting under instructions from britain.

I'm not sure what else to consider it other than a failure, looking at the result.  I don't know if the military planning and war strategies was sound.  All I know is that lots of kids suffered, lots of people died - combatants and innocent alike, and the country held. 

This "experiment" as you describe it did not just occur out of the blue - the igbos were being massacred in the north by hausa lynch mobs, the nigerian head of state at the time - Gowon - did nothing to stop these massacres, as a result over 50,000 igbos were butchered in unprovoked attacks by hausas, the igbos were forced to flee to the south east to protect their lives and property, some igbos who tried to escape were butchered while trying to make their way east - the surviving igbos were completely traumatised by this situation and felt that the only option open to us was secession. 

"Experiment" was the wrong word to use.  I apologize about that.  My vocabulary failed me when I was writing that.  I just didn't have the chance to substitute something more appropriate.  I certainly don't belittle any part of that part of our history.  It is my knowledge of the aftermath that informs my opposition to any secession movement in Nigeria.

Desperate times call for desperate solutions, but in this instance the call for secession by igbos was justified, the only other option was extermination at the hands of the northern oligarchy.

I understand something had to be done.  And I'm not saying it was not justified.  But why secession?  What options did they eliminate to arrive at this measure?  Were there other countries that had taken that route and being successful?  Was the USA behind it?  Were they secretly pushing the Biafrans to secede?  We know that Murtala Muhammed during his "term" had Brits advising him as to how to handle Nigeria.  I read a very convincing article about how Muhammed wanted to excise some part of Nigeria until it was explained to him by these European powers that excising any part of the territory would weaken him and the country and put him at a risk of a protracted border struggles in the near future.  Imagine, a Head of State wanting to give up territory!  It's simply not done.  Just the same way, no country simply allows secession.  It's just not done.  The rebels or freedom fighters depending on which side you're on will always be outnumbered and outgunned.

Hey, Cap, a couple of things you didn't address:
What is your take on the events that precipitated the massacres in the North? 
Why do you think the East made a move on the West during the war?  Are you convinced there was an agreement that the West would break away as well?

-Isale Gangan

Hope you're well. I'm awesome - found some Ayinde Barrister music on YouTube.  Some I haven't heard in years. Yeh!  Update me on your blogging plans when you can.  Merci.
Re: . by isalegan2: 5:17am On Nov 27, 2010
cap28:

To be honest with you i dont really care about the ethnicity of nigeria's head of state , i m more concerned about what is in his heart, what his intentions are towards the nigerian people and what his vision and long term goals are for the country, none of the current contenders have shown that they have anything to offer the nigerian people other than more poverty, more mass unemployment, more police brutality more inflated food prices and more overall despair. 

I believe you when you say that.  I respect that.  But, most people do care, especially, if they feel, as a minority, they're being deliberately marginalized.  I personally didn't care either until I looked below the surface and saw that this is a prevailing sentiment amongst many.  So, I am open to addressing whatever may be pulling any Nigerian from feeling like a fully fledged citizen.  Yes, sir, I'll make my own sacrifice to unite the country.  I will suspend my presidential ambition to give others a chance. hehehehe.   smiley

-Isale Gangan
Re: . by MandingoII(m): 6:12pm On Nov 27, 2010
Told ya.

than nigga Cap28 STAYS NEGATIVE.

He never posted anything positive on this board.

He's educated, but he MUST be Fat and Butt-a.ZZ ugly to talk the way he does on the regular.

lighten up cap.
Re: . by MandingoII(m): 9:06pm On Nov 28, 2010
where yo musty a.zz at?
Re: . by isalegan2: 5:31am On Nov 29, 2010
I think I offended Cap somehow.   Noticed there were no smilies  grin  in his last replies.  I'm on the s--t list now?  So long, Cap'n.   sad   So long, thread.  cry

(1) (Reply)

When Will Ribadu Start Campaigning? / Why Dbanj Cannot Represent The Youths -facts And Pix / Hausas Are Destroying Properties And Live

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.