Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,078 members, 7,835,637 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF (34710 Views)

Peter Obi Expresses Sadness Over Ochanja Market Building Collapse In Onitsha / Lagosians Seen Putting Out Helicopter Crash Fire With Soil And Gutter Water / Obi Visits Victims Of Petrol Tanker Explosion At Ochanja Market, Onitsha. - Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 17, 2019
Prompto:

Only fools from PDP will believe anything you have to say.
Stop been apologist.
Attack issues on merit.
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Focusmind: 6:02pm On Oct 17, 2019
festacman:
Chasing fire service truck and personnel away is big blunder that is inexcusable.

However, the question is as POWERFUL and INFLUENTIAL as Onitsha traders (OMATA) are and given the frequent fire incidents in Onitsha over the years, why haven't they demanded and ensured the setting up of a state-of-art fire station in Onitsha and strategic substations at markets? Given their numerical strength and clout of members in their various communities, no serving governor or aspiring governorship candidate would ignore their demands. Moreover, they have the money to help state government do it.

This is what baffles me about Onitsha. Successive market leaders always failed in their responsibility to provide this kind of important equipment.

What most market leaders does is to organise solidarity visits to government houses around the country.

After the tenure of each market executives, you will see massive acquisition of assets in form of buildings, lands and exotic cars by union leaders.

That's the reason people fight to death for market union positions in this country.

It shouldn't be the responsibility of FG to fight fires, but that of municipality and councils.

Nigerian system and things always defies sound logic. I don't know why things do not work in this country the same way it happens in other country.

I agreed with Chinua Achebe. The trouble and problem with Nigeria is not Nigeria but her people.

3 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by toscolee(m): 6:02pm On Oct 17, 2019
festacman:
Chasing fire service truck and personnel away is big blunder that is inexcusable.

However, the question is as POWERFUL and INFLUENTIAL as Onitsha traders (OMATA) are and given the frequent fire incidents in Onitsha over the years, why haven't they demanded and ensured the setting up of a state-of-art fire station in Onitsha and strategic substations at markets? Given their numerical strength and clout of members in their various communities, no serving governor or aspiring governorship candidate would ignore their demands. Moreover, they have the money to help state government do it.

I remember vividly how I helped to calm down people who were throwing stones at firefighters when a house caught fire in U close, 23 Road, Festac town. Police men accompanied the firefighters to the scene, and tried to reason with the crowd while the men immediately went into action. It was the police men who very humbly explained that Amuwo Odofin station doesn't have water, that they had to bring firefighters from Ikeja, that it wasn't easy driving through traffic before they could control them. The robbery incident when Diamond, Access and Zenith Banks were affected in 4th Avenue, the young men beside started throwing stones, I warned the one who started not dare it again, we argued, but they stopped. We later learnt that Frank Mba, who was in charge of Festac police station stopped them from coming, and that they had to bring men from Ikeja, which is a long way from Festac......I'm using your sensible comment to also reply meleszenawi, whom, I suspect, doesn't reside in Nigeria and doesn't understand their attitude in certain situations.

3 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Mrjo(m): 6:05pm On Oct 17, 2019
Officialgarri:
This is what happens when the job of an architect is given to an engineer, and when the work of a town planner is given to a contractor. .

In case y'all don't know, it is utter stupidity and an unforgivable negligence to have markets or some other public facilities without proximity of at least one fire station.

And they are even complaining of traffic? I don't understand. What do these people do in their offices every day? Don't they do research ?

What's wrong if fire fighting bikes are being deployed before incidents escalates? Obviously, they all just wait till month end to receive salary. After all, it's a FG job.
are you not in Nigeria?
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by patrickmuf(m): 6:07pm On Oct 17, 2019
This people are very insensitive...This excuse would've made sense if officers and men of the Delta State Fire Service didn't reach the scene of the accident with their fire trucks without no hitch bar traffic...

That people are buying into this blatant lie shows you how much of idiots we live with in this country, they swallow every sh.t they're fed hook, line and sinker...Tueh!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Angelfrost(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2019
AsomughaChuks02:
If Peter Obi had not embezzled the money meant for purchase of over 30 fire trucks when he was governor, we wouldn't have been in this mess

Be intelligent enough to come up with a better excuse for your imbecilic governor... 2 full tenures, and no functioning fire service/emergency department...

You guys are quick to attack and point out the failures of other regions while your states burn (Pun quite intended).

4 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2019
Nigerians are still getting this thing wrong. Fire service trucks are designed to arrive empty. As this will aid it's speed. They are meant to be plugged into any nearby fire hydrant But sadly we have a bad water reticulation system.

6 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Solidkay(m): 6:15pm On Oct 17, 2019
This news is just annoying.

Bad selfish leaders worse follower ship...

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 17, 2019
They came around 4:45pm when the damage is already done and you want people to welcome them...when life's, properties and goods worth millions has burn to ashes and you came to quench what?

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by saintokwuluora(m): 6:16pm On Oct 17, 2019
They pelted you guys with stone and allowed the Firemen from Asaba to work. Very fishy excuse.

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by 24kmagic: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2019
celeiyke:
Useless agency. Onitsha a city with almost 10 million residents should rely on Asaba fire station. Shouldn't Onitsha have it's own fire station?

10 million what?

The way you guys come online to quote figures is alarming.

The whole of Anambra state doesn't have that population.

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by tete7000(m): 6:24pm On Oct 17, 2019
Markets suppose to have their own fire fighting apparatus. Those who designed the market without the fire fighting capacity should be prosecuted...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Isnow: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2019
fcukig fire fighters! see this govtoooo....so u want to defend ur selves for failing woefully in ur duties? ooohhh..am seriously irritated in this ur bunkum..

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by majamajic(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2019
globemoney:
So the tanker deployed from Asaba was from FG and the clownish pdp trolls said it was because Anambra state govt failed to respond.. Also, locals prevented the fire service from performing their function... Nawaa

I know all these I said it in the morning that Asaba is just 5 mins away from Onitsha

2 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by majamajic(m): 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2019
tete7000:
Markets suppose to have their own fire fighting apparatus. Those who designed the market without the fire fighting capacity should be prosecuted...

as big as idumota market , they don't have fire fighting trucks personally

they still use the federal fire fighting near Obalende ,
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by grandstar(m): 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2019
celeiyke:
Useless agency. Onitsha a city with almost 10 million residents should rely on Asaba fire station. Shouldn't Onitsha have it's own fire station?
I doubt Onitsha has up to 2m people
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by tete7000(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2019
majamajic:

as big as idumota market , they don't have fire fighting trucks personally

they still use the federal fire fighting near Obalende ,

Those who do the designs of markets without fire fighting capability are unserious...

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by MERCHANDISER: 6:37pm On Oct 17, 2019
grandstar:
I doubt Onitsha has up to 2m people
onitsha No

buh onitsha province reach 4million(Ogidi,ogbunike,Nkpor,Nkwere,Oba,Obosi,Ogbaru,Onitsha etc)
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by renewable1(m): 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2019
Naija

Enjoy 8 hours electricity daily with our 1kva solar power system. Check my signature now.
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Advocate500: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2019
globemoney:
So the tanker deployed from Asaba was from FG and the clownish pdp trolls said it was because Anambra state govt failed to respond.. Also, locals prevented the fire service from performing their function... Nawaa
what have you succeeded in saying? Trying hard to mislead people at any given time, we have seen the magic the apc Lead government is performing, no concisence anymore everything to u people is all about politics, I pray one day sense will fall on u.

2 Likes

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by KayCee92(m): 6:44pm On Oct 17, 2019
AsomughaChuks02:
If Peter Obi had not embezzled the money meant for purchase of over 30 fire trucks when he was governor, we wouldn't have been in this mess

Why do you people like making frivolous and careless unsubstantiated claims. If they ask you to provide evidence of what you just alleged now you will say "I heard"

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by majamajic(m): 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2019
tete7000:

Those who do the designs of markets without fire fighting capability are unserious...

welcome to Nigeria
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by planetx: 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2019
stinflame:
Nigerians are still getting this thing wrong.
Fire service trucks are designed to arrive empty. As this will aid it's speed.
They are meant to be plugged into any nearby fire hydrant
But sadly we have a bad water reticulation system.
Fire hydrant in Nigeria lol never saw one before.

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2019
PureGoldh:
Hmm...they got to the scene with a tanker which dont have up to 3000litres of water and think they can put off the fire with it shebi. undecided

The alarm was raised around 1 or 2pm and they got to the scene if am not mistaken some minutes past 4pm.

For crying out loud... We are talking about "Class B" type of fire.... Ordinary 2000litres of water with some mixtures in it can't put off that kinda fire.

This country is just a big time joke sad

My prayer is that God will give the people involved directly and indirectly the fortitude to bear the loss.

1. I strongly feel the Anambra State Government needs to do something quickly about it's Fire Service.
2. I see nothing wrong with the Market Association funding their own Fire Service; on Marina road alone, both Union Bank and UBA each maintain their own mini fire brigade, and both operate on the small stretch of Marina road on Lagos Island. Compared to the risk of what would be lost in the event of a fire out-break, it would cost a mere pittance to do this.
3. I might be getting ahead of myself here, but how about the Market Association also enforcing rules on the spacing of shops, electrical wiring, mandatory fire insurance e.t.c. as a proactive measure?

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2019
planetx:
Fire hydrant in Nigeria lol never saw one before.
That's the issue then. Even if the people are ignorant the government engineers should propose such for a market in case of emergency like this.
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by chukel(m): 7:18pm On Oct 17, 2019
All these goats are not even blaming anambra state government for not having a functional fire fighting station in onitsha. Instead they are heaping blames on FG for not coming and delta state govt. for sending truck which didn't have up to 3000 litres of water. Who did this to us. What sort of hatred is this?
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by webngnews: 7:19pm On Oct 17, 2019
Oh
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by chukel(m): 7:27pm On Oct 17, 2019
Some of us comment like they are not in this country and don't know the attitude of most Nigerians who behave like animals. I won't doubt the fact the fire men were pelted with stones. Probably because they arrived late. If you know the traffic terrain of head bridge, you would know the possibility of arriving late. However, that's not an excuse. Where was anambra state fire service. Why would a call be placed to Abuja for a fire incident happening in onitsha. Is there no governor in anambra state?

1 Like

Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Area4Area: 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2019
Cantonese:

Are you not reading what we all are reading? Please read and follow carefully. The CFS said that federal firemen were pelted with stones and CHASED AWAY and they could not get to Ochanja market. Anambra state fire service could not work because of politics, as we all know. Delta fire service was contacted and they got there. It is noteworthy that it is the third time DFS has crossed the river to rescue victims of fire incidences in Anambra state.
You are absolutely 101% correct
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Cantonese: 8:06pm On Oct 17, 2019
majamajic:

I know all these I said it in the morning that Asaba is just 5 mins away from Onitsha

How can that be? Please my friend Asaba is not “just” 5 minutes away from Onitsha. If there is traffic hold up on the bridge or before the bridge on any of the two sides, Onitsha from Asaba can take more than 3 hours. Driving from Total junction Asaba to Onitsha when there is no traffic hold up will take you up to 15 minutes even driving very fast, how much more driving from inside Asaba or even Coker junction/summit or any other part of Asaba.
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by Area4Area: 8:15pm On Oct 17, 2019
Cantonese:

How can that be? Please my friend Asaba is not “just” 5 minutes away from Onitsha. If there is traffic hold up on the bridge or before the bridge on any of the two sides, Onitsha from Asaba can take more than 3 hours. Driving from Total junction Asaba to Onitsha when there is no traffic hold up will take you up to 15 minutes even driving very fast, how much more driving from inside Asaba or even Coker junction/summit or any other part of Asaba.
After all your traffic reports about the distance between Onitsha and Asaba, give us the traffic reports between Okpoko, Main market and Ogidi to Ochanja too so we may know why those in Asaba arrived and these ones didn't, maybe the roads leading to Ochanja from those places have all being blown up by bombs and mines.
Re: Ochanja Market: Mob Stopped Firefighters From Putting Out Fire - CGF by smasher1(m): 8:22pm On Oct 17, 2019
globemoney:

Did you read the article? Why do black people hate reading

Did you see the picture of the fire truck from Asaba Delta state? Pictures don't lie. People lie.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Celebrates Peter Obi On His 62nd Birthday (Throwback Photo) / Unknown Gunmen Attack APC Campaign Rally In Enugu (Videos). / Jimi Agbaje At Campaign Rally keja Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.