Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. (557 Views)

Sadiya Umar Farouq Visits Onitsha Fire Outbreak Scene - Photos / Reno Omokri Locates Victim Of Onitsha Fire Outbreak, Makes Donation (Photos) / Onitsha Fire: Governor Obiano Visits Anambra State Fire Service Command, (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by Winnerzblog: 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2019
I suspected that something would follow the security empowerment the Anambra State Govt performed on Friday, October 11, 2019. There was resounding ovation for Governor Willie Obiano for the creative assistance to security agencies unveiled on that day. Knowing Nigerian politics and indeed Anambra's politics, I realised not all will be happy with the endorsement Obiano received. I told some friends it would not be long before Obiano's detractors found a way to reverse that good fortune. I didn't know it will be too soon. Yet, it is difficult to believe that of all options, political rivals will choose the unfortunate petrol tanker fire incident in Onitsha, to try to cut him to size.

It was with shock and shame that I witnessed the refusal of mobs on that black Tuesday to allow fire service trucks into the area of the fallen petrol tanker to fight the raging blaze. Heaven help us! How can any sane mind do this! Even if the fire fighters didn't come as promptly as expected, only layabouts who had nothing to lose from the spreading fire and politically misguided youths would take such stupid stand. And because of the senseless militancy of these youths, so much was lost. And without bothering to get the full picture, political partisans have been attacking the Obiano regime.

We now hear of media donations and all sorts of assistance to the victims by some politicians. It is good to be charitable. Genuine assistance is welcome even if from politicians known to be warming up for the 2021/2022 governorship election. But emerging signs give worry that many of these could be mere gimmickry. What else can you say of the announcement that a federal legislator from Anambra State is donating three fire fighting trucks to the federal fire service when the service is not present in the State? Why donate to Federal Fire Department Asaba instead of assisting your State? If there's really a true intention to help, why not give the fire vehicles to the various market organisations?

Similarly, the advertised free medical treatment for the injured does not reflect the package of serious business. The injured are to go to a certain hospital for treatment. And this is without any known plan for identification and registration of victims. There is no word on the time duration of this medical service either.
https://www.rockstarvibes.com.ng/2019/10/opinion-politics-of-onitsha-fire-tragedy.html?m=1

This should not be a time for politicking. This should be a time to join hands with the state government to work for the well being of the victims and indeed of all Ndi Anambra. May the souls of those who lost their lives in the tragedy rest in peace.
https://www.rockstarvibes.com.ng/2019/10/opinion-politics-of-onitsha-fire-tragedy.html?m=1
Onuora, a retired Director in the State Civil Service lives in Onitsha.

1 Share

Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by Rayplanet(m): 7:32pm On Oct 18, 2019
Be that as it may. The deed has been done. Anambra Election keeps drawing close and the political Gladiators are at it again,trying their possible best to malign or outsmart themselves. They believe in war all is fair but at whose detriment?

God save us all.

1 Like

Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by MERCHANDISER: 9:55am On Oct 19, 2019
People are chanting and hailing ifeanyi uba as their next governor cheesy

1 Like

Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by Afamed: 10:03am On Oct 19, 2019
It's well
Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by ifyalways(f): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2019
It was wickedness and anger that made them drive the water men away -: Since my shop has been razed down, why should my neighbours own be saved sad

I was badly affected by that wickedness but we thank God for life.

2 Likes

Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by Winnerzblog: 1:11am On Oct 20, 2019
Exactly. We need God's intervention in the state.
Rayplanet:
Be that as it may. The deed has been done. Anambra Election keeps drawing close and the political Gladiators are at it again,trying their possible best to malign or outsmart themselves. They believe in war all is fair but at whose detriment?

God save us all.
Re: Politics Of Onitsha Fire Tragedy. by Winnerzblog: 1:12am On Oct 20, 2019
Too bad bro. DM ur before and after pictures via WhatsApp 08161846326
ifyalways:
It was wickedness and anger that made them drive the water men away -: Since my shop has been razed down, why should my neighbours own be saved sad

I was badly affected by that wickedness but we thank God for life.

(1) (Reply)

GYB Campaign / Southern Nigeria And The Zeal For Loyalty / BREAKING: DSS Shoots At #freesowore Protesters In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.