Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,768 members, 7,820,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:30 PM

Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. (2478 Views)

Professor David-west Suggests Jonathan Does Not have Phd / The Gang-up Against Emeagwali Is Ethnically Motivated / Government To Investigate Emeagwali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 1:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
Leave Emeagwali alone: Soyinka and Achebe do not have PhD degrees. Who made them profs? Can we see the documents with which they became profs?

Nigeria is such a shameless country. Many of its leaders and citizens have one fake degree or another. Many have fake age declarations. And still many more are fake in their daily lives. Who made Soyinka and Achebe professors without a PhD? I doubt that they even have MA degrees. So let who is free cast the first stone on Emeagwali. Some motor park touts and fraudulent people have honorary doctorate degrees bestowed on them by equally shabby academics/university administrators.

On a second thought, they should investigate him so that by so doing, all the sore anuses of all those who go by forged documents will be opened. They will see a lot of placards in court asking for a probe of everyone that matter in Nigeria. silly, jobless federal government.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 1:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
Basically, you are confusing two different titles, people can cal you "Doctor" once you have a PhD. People can call you "Professor" if a university decides to hire you as a Professor. In the hard sciences/engineering a PhD is usually a prerequisite to being hired as a Prof. In fields like literature, law, journalism, they are not. You don't even need to necessarily even have any degree to be a professor of literature; in literature, you are primarily judged on the strength of the works you've written.

Anyway, Emeagwali is in the hard sciences/engineering, where a PhD is required before becoming a Professor, while Soyinka and Achebe are writers, where the PhD is not.

In fact, nobody can call Emeagwali a Professor, since he was never hired as a tenure-tracked professor at any university. At best, he could be called "Doctor." And this is only if he earned a PhD somewhere. I'm not even sure if an honorary doctorate allows you to be called "Doctor", I'm a bit fuzzy about the protocol for honorary degrees.

1 Like

Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
these con men worshippers are pathetic

before it was bad belle

now it is leave emegwali alone

keep weeping and wringing your hands for your toppled idol
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 2:11pm On Nov 09, 2010
oyb:

these con men worshippers are pathetic

before it was bad belle

now it is leave emegwali alone

keep weeping and wringing your hands for your toppled idol

Bantering words with an avowed Saraki arse-licker is not worth the trouble. When you and your thieving Saraki family leave Kwara alone we can talk some more
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

Basically, you are confusing two different titles, people can cal you "Doctor" once you have a PhD. People can call you "Professor" if a university decides to hire you as a Professor. In the hard sciences/engineering a PhD is usually a prerequisite to being hired as a Prof. In fields like literature, law, journalism, they are not. You don't even need to necessarily even have any degree to be a professor of literature; in literature, you are primarily judged on the strength of the works you've written.

Anyway, Emeagwali is in the hard sciences/engineering, where a PhD is required before becoming a Professor, while Soyinka and Achebe are writers, where the PhD is not.

In fact, nobody can call Emeagwali a Professor, since he was never hired as a tenure-tracked professor at any university. At best, he could be called "Doctor." And this is only if he earned a PhD somewhere. I'm not even sure if an honorary doctorate allows you to be called "Doctor", I'm a bit fuzzy about the protocol for honorary degrees.

Do you agree that both Achebe and Soyinka do not have MA, let alone PhD degrees? Do you agree that it is questionable how they became profs in Nigeria with BA degrees? I know that in the USA, a prof can be defined ranging from the meaning of it as we Nigerians see it, to an instructor or even anyone professing anything. In that case, both Soyinka and Achebe are okay with the title they bear. But here in naija we know what a prof means. Now tell me, did both men first become profs in naija or abroad? If abroad, I rest my case but if in Naija, then questions should be asked as to how BA degree holders became profs
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by becomrich4: 2:15pm On Nov 09, 2010
You dont need a PHD to be a  Professor, Even with a bachelor you can become an adjunct professor.   It is more of a title. But in Nigeria, you need a PHD to become a professor and another  6 to 10 work experience after the PHD. It is two different society, two different system. i can be hired as a Professor in a university, but another university may not accept you.

In nigeria Philip Emeagwali would not be given the status of a professor. because fraud is said to be involve. One of the requirement involve been fraud free.  but you can transfer it if you have the requirement.

Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by ochocinco1(m): 2:23pm On Nov 09, 2010
@OP

I thought I was the only one oo. . . .I even have it on good authority, the whole Nobel ceremony where he appeared in his traditional regalia was all stage managed by the literary ILLUMINATI that works from behind the scenes in Nigeria. They took a leaf from the way the Americans stage managed the moon landings from a studio in Albuquerque.

It is this same Illuminati that is working so hard to restrict Emeagwali's entry into their circle, primarily because he refuses to pay admission fee. A man of principle is our man Philip.

I SAY WE KILL 'EM ALL. . .KILL 'EM ALL
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by oludashmi(f): 2:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

ANSWERED!
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 2:34pm On Nov 09, 2010
Environer:

Do you agree that both Achebe and Soyinka do not have MA degrees? Do you agree that it is questionable how they became profs in Nigeria with BA degrees? I know that in the USA, a prof can be defined ranging from the meaning of it as we Nigerians see it, to an instructor or even anyone professing anything. In that case, both Soyinka and Achebe are okay with the title they bear. But here in naija we know what a prof means? Now tell me, did both men first become profs in naija or abroad?

You miss the point. For their specific field of endeavor (literature), paper certificates are less important. I could get a BS in Chemical Engineering, work for 20 years as an engineer for Chevron, and write literature part time, say at night when I get home from work. If the literature I write becomes famous enough, I can then quite possibly be invited to be a professor of literature somewhere.

However, mathematics, engineering and hard science are not like this. I cannot get a BS in Chemical Engineering and then spend the next 20 years dabbling in Mathematics, write brilliant papers and then be offered a professorship somewhere. Well, it is possible, but extremely unlikely, you would have to be some sort of super, super genius to do this. And if you were that smart (and I don't mean smart relative to average human beings, I mean smart relative to the best mathematicians in the world), then you'd just go back to school and get the PhD in 2 years, then apply for tenure-track professorships.

Anyway, this is how it works in the US. I have no clue how it works in Nigeria.

Anyway, long story short, Emeagwali never even got to the point where he could ever be called a professor in the US in hard sciences. You need to write good papers and have them accepted at prdstigous journals, basically. I don't think he he wrote any papers. I googled his name and couldn't find any, anyway. So the way it works is you write a bunch of good papers, apply for a job at a university, interview, and then hopefully get the job offer (for a tenure-track position, as opposed to some sort of non-tenure track lecturer/instructor position.) Emeagwali didn't do any of this.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 2:41pm On Nov 09, 2010
Environer:

Do you agree that both Achebe and Soyinka do not have MA degrees? Do you agree that it is questionable how they became profs in Nigeria with BA degrees? I know that in the USA, a prof can be defined ranging from the meaning of it as we Nigerians see it, to an instructor or even anyone professing anything. In that case, both Soyinka and Achebe are okay with the title they bear. But here in naija we know what a prof means. Now tell me, did both men first become profs in naija or abroad? If abroad, I rest my case but if in Naija, then questions should be asked as to how BA degree holders became profs

Let's assume for a minute that Soyinka and Achebe were fruadsters, how does this absolve Emeagwali from allegations that he lied about his credentials.

This is not about Soyinka or Achebe, this is about Emeagwali. Let every man be judged according to his deeds.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by becomrich4: 2:52pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear , where are you getting that from. i went to take some course here in canada, when the professor only worked for IBM. And he does not have a PHD. And it was in the area of engineering.

How do you think white people transfer knowledge from the science world to the universities. If you are into accademic all your life. You dont have update of new technology. THe new technology are transfer to people in the accademic field through workers in places like IBM, Microsoft, google etc.

Look I am not boosting, but I know many thing a professor in the field of computer have no clue to . Do you think I can transfer something to him. The problem in nigeria is that people are too proud to learn. So assume because they have a PHD they are superior to others. That is not so. PHD does not make you superior. I am telling I know s many thing in the field of computer science , if you put all the professor of computer science, they all would not find solution to it.

If I die with what I know, how do the next generation benefit from it. It because a waste. Even if you look at some of the information I give on nigeria history most professor of history in nigeria, do not know them. That  why they give them professorship even when they do not have a PHD to be able to transfer knowledge.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 2:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

You miss the point. For their specific field of endeavor (literature), paper certificates are less important. I could get a BS in Chemical Engineering, work for 20 years as an engineer for Chevron, and write literature part time, say at night when I get home from work. If the literature I write becomes famous enough, I can then quite possibly be invited to be a professor of literature somewhere.

However, mathematics, engineering and hard science are not like this. I cannot get a BS in Chemical Engineering and then spend the next 20 years dabbling in Mathematics, write brilliant papers and then be offered a professorship somewhere. Well, it is possible, but extremely unlikely, you would have to be some sort of super, super genius to do this. And if you were that smart (and I don't mean smart relative to average human beings, I mean smart relative to the best mathematicians in the world), then you'd just go back to school and get the PhD in 2 years, then apply for tenure-track professorships.

Anyway, this is how it works in the US. I have no clue how it works in Nigeria.

Anyway, long story short, Emeagwali never even got to the point where he could ever be called a professor in the US in hard sciences. You need to write good papers and have them accepted at prdstigous journals, basically. I don't think he he wrote any papers. I googled his name and couldn't find any, anyway. So the way it works is you write a bunch of good papers, apply for a job at a university, interview, and then hopefully get the job offer (for a tenure-track position, as opposed to some sort of non-tenure track lecturer/instructor position.) Emeagwali didn't do any of this.

And where did Emeagwali claim to be a prof? Some of you just join the fray without a good grasp of the facts. Please show me where he claims to be a professor in science.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
becomrich4:

DapoBear , where are you getting that from. i went to take some course here in canada, when the professor only worked for IBM. And he does not have a PHD. And it was in the area of engineering.
So this is possible. Say you are a guy with only a bachelors, who has worked for IBM for 20 years. But you did excellent work there that was recognized by your entire field. Then a university might decide to hire you to lecture. But usually, they'll give you a different title. Not ordinary professor, they might call you "Adjunt Professor." Or "Professor of the Practice." This is very different from a tenure-track professor. Usually when people say "Professor", they really mean either a "tenure-track professor" or a professor who has already achieved tenure.

How do you think white people transfer knowledge from the science world to the universities. If you are into accademic all your life. You dont have update of new technology. THe new technology are transfer to people in the accademic field through workers in places life IBM, Microsoft, google etc.

Look I am not boosting, but I know many thing a professor in the field of computer have no clue to . Do you think I can transfer something to him. The problem in nigeria is that people are too proud to learn. So assume because they have a PHD they are superior to others. That is not so. PHD does not make you superior. I am telling I know s many thing in the field of computer science , if you put all the professor of computer science, they all would not find solution to it.
Yeah, PhD doesn't make you superior. In fact, there are lots of mediocre universities in the US you can get a PhD from. Most of those guys aren't very impressive. Unfortunately, Nigerian mentality worships anyone with a PhD, even if it is from a crap school. In the US, that is not the case. If you have a PhD from a crap school competing with a Bachelors student from MIT, I'll probably take the MIT bachelors student, if I'm the one hiring. MIT undergraduates are all universally pretty smart, PhDs from crap schools aren't necessary that good.

If I die with what I know, I do the next generation benefit from it. It because a waste. Even if you look at some of the information I give on nigeria history most professor of history in nigeria, do not know them. That  why they give them professorship even when they do not have a PHD to be able to transfer knowledge.
Write it down on paper. We have Wikipedia now, there is no reason for the knowledge to die.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 3:02pm On Nov 09, 2010
Environer:

And where did Emeagwali claim to be a prof? Some of you just join the fray without a good grasp of the facts. Please show me where he claims to be a professor in science.

When did I say he did? All I know is that he lets people call him what he is not in interviews without correcting them. Anyway, my purpose was to answer your original question; when did the onus get put on me to dissect what he did and did not claim? You are the one starting the thread, not I.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 09, 2010
I don't like people falsely presenting themselves. Achebe and Soyinka have never falsely presented their academic qualifications. If Dr(?) Emeagwali ever did that, then it is condemnable. It is not about Soyinka, it is about Emeagwali and he has an opportunity to dispel all these rumours(?).
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 09, 2010
Environer:

Bantering words with an avowed Saraki arse-licker is not worth the trouble. When you and your thieving Saraki family leave Kwara alone we can talk some more

me, an avowed saraki ass licker cheesy cheesy cheesy - shows the sort of intelligence to be expected of these unrepentant worshippers at the altar of duplicity and mediocrity cheesy cheesy cheesy - idiotic conjecture and desperate personal attacks cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

pele , nd, oya go and do what nigerians do best - organise an honorary phd for your hero cheesy cheesy
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Eziachi: 3:24pm On Nov 09, 2010
Aigbofa:

Let's assume for a minute that Soyinka and Achebe were fruadsters, how does this absolve Emeagwali from allegations that he lied about his credentials.

This is not about Soyinka or Achebe, this is about Emeagwali. Let every man be judged according to his deeds.

Based on your supposed assumption, who did he lied to? When and were? And when was the lied to person, organisation or body found out? What was their reaction and punishment for this deception according to your gospel? These three question is nott just for you, but the rest of you who did not even know the existence of the person they are now authority on his life history few months ago.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 3:30pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

When did I say he did? All I know is that he lets people call him what he is not in interviews without correcting them. Anyway, my purpose was to answer your original question; when did the onus get put on me to dissect what he did and did not claim? You are the one starting the thread, not I.

So the problem of some of you guys is not even that he claimed what he is not. It is that others call him by any title they wish? Talk of clutching at straw.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 3:31pm On Nov 09, 2010
oyb:

me, an avowed saraki backside licker cheesy cheesy cheesy - shows the sort of intelligence to be expected of these unrepentant worshippers at the altar of duplicity and mediocrity cheesy cheesy cheesy - idiotic conjecture and desperate personal attacks cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

pele , nd, oya go and do what nigerians do best - organise an honorary phd for your hero cheesy cheesy

Either that or a bloody co-shariarist to a bloody religious bigot as Buhari. Make your pick.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 3:37pm On Nov 09, 2010
Do these names and their claims ring any bell?

-Prof Gabriel Oyibo and his almighty GAGUT formula
-IBB- who exagerated his contribution to the civil war
-Prof Uwemedimo and his Comandclem claiming to have discovered a paint product worth billions that Mobil Oil company used and refuses to pay for
-Prof Chike Obi who claimed to have found an elementary proof to Fermat’s Last Theorem.
-Yabatech that once (looks like they have changed it on their website now) claimed to be the third oldest higher institution of learning in the world and first in Africa
-Dr Abalaka who claimed to have found a cure for AIDS
-Another Nigerian (names forgotten) claimed to be able to cure AIDS with orange juice
-Prophet Joshua claims to be able to cure everything
-Thousands of our lawyers, doctors, academicians, politicians, school teachers, civil servants, private sector executives and staff all hold one false certificate or another
-Take a look at this FAKE man who practiced law for many years before he was caught http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?t, 00902223264739
-We still remember the Toronto certificate saga of our former Speaker Salisu Buhari, and Tinubu's legal battle with Fawehinmi on account of a fake Chicago certificate of Tinubu's.
- Even Prof Iwu's certificates were once questioned, as are those of the current Controller General of the Nigerian Customs
- Was Obasanjo not said to hold a Higher National Diploma? Pray, tell, from where did he obtain it?
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 3:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
Eziachi:

Based on your supposed assumption, who did he lied to? When and were? And when was the lied to person, organisation or body found out? What was their reaction and punishment for this deception according to your gospel? These three question is nott just for you, but the rest of you who did not even know the existence of the person they are now authority on his life history few months ago.

Does the word "allegations" mean anything to you. He is alleged to parade himself as Dr. Emeagwali without having a doctorate degree. He is also accused of exagerating his contributions to computing and the internet.

These are serious allegations and only him can dispel them. Not me, not Soyinka or Achebe.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Nov 09, 2010
Environer:

Do these names and their claims ring any bell?

-Prof Gabriel Oyibo and his almighty GAGUT formula
-IBB- who exagerated his contribution to the civil war
-Prof Uwemedimo and his Comandclem claiming to have discovered a paint product worth billions that Mobil Oil company used and refuses to pay for
-Prof Chike Obi who claimed to have found an elementary proof to Fermat’s Last Theorem.
-Yabatech that once (looks like they have changed it on their website now) claimed to be the third oldest higher institution of learning in the world and first in Africa
-Dr Abalaka who claimed to have found a cure for AIDS
-Another Nigerian (names forgotten) claimed to be able to cure AIDS with orange juice
-Prophet Joshua claims to be able to cure everything
-Thousands of our lawyers, doctors, academicians, politicians, school teachers, civil servants, private sector executives and staff all hold one false certificate or another
-Take a look at this FAKE man who practiced law for many years before he was caught http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?t, 00902223264739
-We still remember the Toronto certificate saga of our former Speaker Salisu Buhari, and Tinubu's legal battle with Fawehinmi on account of a fake Chicago certificate of Tinubu's.
- Even Prof Iwu's certificates were once questioned, as are those of the current Controller General of the Nigerian Customs
- Was Obasanjo not said to hold a Higher National Diploma? Pray, tell, from where did he obtain it?

You don't get it do you? Even if all these people are liars, it still does not absolve Emeagwali of guilt!
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 4:04pm On Nov 09, 2010
Aigbofa:

Does the word "allegations" mean anything to you. He is alleged to parade himself as Dr. Emeagwali without having a doctorate degree. He is also accused of exagerating his contributions to computing and the internet.

These are serious allegations and only him can dispel them. Not me, not Soyinka or Achebe.

What is the meaning of Dr Emeagwali when any slowpoke can get a honorary doctorate degree from anywhere in the world? Even some becoming ''Prof'' without the prerequisite qualifications?
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 4:05pm On Nov 09, 2010
Aigbofa:

You don't get it do you? Even if all these people are liars, it still does not absolve Emeagwali of guilt!

No. What I do not get is the double standard in all of this.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Environer: 6:19pm On Nov 09, 2010
Emeagwali is 'father' of the intenet much as Mungo Park 'discovered' River Niger
When Mungo Park ''discovered'' R Niger, his fellow white geographers or sailors did not pull him down. Now Emeagwali ''discovers'' the internet and is being pulled down by his own countrymen? You still wonder why blacks are underdeveloped and perpetually so?
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 6:55pm On Nov 09, 2010
DapoBear:

What's all this wooly talk of hard sciences and soft sciences? undecided.
In the first place by writing brilliant research papers in maths or physics then you are[b] already [/b] an expert. However it is very unlikely that, if not impossible,  an amateur, so to say, would be able to write brilliant research papers in maths and physics in the first place, especially in  these highly specialised times. He certainly won't be able to do anything original by just dabbling over a 20 year period. And no it has nothing to do with being smarter than his peers. In fact it is the grinding hard work,commitment and dedication that makes the best physicists stand out not just mere smartness.
Those caveats notwithstanding there is nothing stopping a man for applying for and being granted teaching and research positions in academia if he is indeed able to author such brilliant research papers.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Superego: 6:15am On Nov 11, 2010
[quote="Dapobear"]Basically, you are confusing two different titles, people can cal you "Doctor" once you have a PhD. People can call you "Professor" if a university decides to hire you as a Professor. In the hard sciences/engineering a PhD is usually a prerequisite to being hired as a Prof. In fields like literature, law, journalism, they are not. You don't even need to necessarily even have any degree to be a professor of literature; in literature, you are primarily judged on the strength of the works you've written.

In fact, nobody can call Emeagwali a Professor, since he was never hired as a tenure-tracked professor at any university. At best, he could be called "Doctor." And this is only if he earned a PhD somewhere. I'm not even sure if an honorary doctorate allows you to be called "Doctor", I'm a bit fuzzy about the protocol for honorary degrees.[/quote]

Totally ignorant! I call this- "Ignorants" or "ignorance with confidence" IWC

Emeagwali IS a Professor
Once you profess, you are a professor!

Get a life. get your life. Achieve something, stop throwing stones at your own feet. :lol:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professor

pro·fes·sor
   /prəˈfɛsər/ Show Spelled[pruh-fes-er] Show IPA
–noun
a teacher of the highest academic rank in a college or university, who has been awarded the title Professor in a particular branch of learning; a full professor: a professor of spanish literature.
any teacher who has the rank of professor, associate professor, or assistant professor.
a teacher.
an instructor in some art or skilled sport: a professor of singing; a professor of boxing.
a person who professes his or her sentiments, beliefs, etc.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 6:41am On Nov 11, 2010
tensor777:

What's all this wooly talk of hard sciences and soft sciences? undecided.
In the first place by writing brilliant research papers in maths or physics then you are[b] already [/b] an expert.
Agreed.

However it is very unlikely that, if not impossible,  an amateur, so to say, would be able to write brilliant research papers in maths and physics in the first place, especially in  these highly specialised times.
Agreed.

He certainly won't be able to do anything original by just dabbling over a 20 year period. And no it has nothing to do with being smarter than his peers. In fact it is the grinding hard work,commitment and dedication that makes the best physicists stand out not just mere smartness.
Indeed.

Those caveats notwithstanding there is nothing stopping a man for applying for and being granted teaching and research positions in academia if he is indeed able to author such brilliant research papers.
False. You'd need an advanced degree. If you disagree, cite a counterexample.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by DapoBear(m): 6:43am On Nov 11, 2010
Superego:

Totally ignorant! I call this- "Ignorants" or "ignorance with confidence" IWC

Emeagwali IS a Professor
Once you profess, you are a professor!

Get a life. get your life. Achieve something, stop throwing stones at your own feet. :lol:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/professor

pro·fes·sor
   /prəˈfɛsər/ Show Spelled[pruh-fes-er] Show IPA
–noun
a teacher of the highest academic rank in a college or university, who has been awarded the title Professor in a particular branch of learning; a full professor: a professor of spanish literature.
any teacher who has the rank of professor, associate professor, or assistant professor.
a teacher.
an instructor in some art or skilled sport: a professor of singing; a professor of boxing.
a person who professes his or her sentiments, beliefs, etc.

If you are using a dictionary definition, then everyone is a professor. Since almost everyone on earth qualifies under definition #5.

Clearly, we are not using such a loose definition.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Superego: 1:47pm On Nov 11, 2010
[quote="Dapobear"]If you are using a dictionary definition, then everyone is a professor. Since almost everyone on earth qualifies under definition #5.

Clearly, we are not using such a loose definition.[/quote]

I am in the US.
Prof Emeagwali is in the US.
Indeed anyone who preaches/professes his sentiments and beliefs to a choir is a Professor.

He is a professor here by US standards. So is this "if we are using dictionary" reason enough to be jealous of him and call him a fraud and taint his well earned reputation?

now you go be something, and as they pointed out, throw some stones too at achebe and soyinka who are not professors by Nigerian standards.
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Superego: 1:51pm On Nov 11, 2010
[quote="Aigbofa"]You don't get it do you? Even if all these people are liars, it still does not absolve Emeagwali of guilt![/quote]

Can you kindly tell us his guilt.

Rather post it here and win N20,000
for your weekend merriment!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547571.99999.html#msg7103807
Re: Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Nov 11, 2010
Superego:

Can you kindly tell us his guilt.

Rather post it here and win N20,000
for your weekend merriment!

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-547571.99999.html#msg7103807

2ok Not bad at all grin. I think you are quoting me out of context here. Someone provided a list of Nigerians accused of making false claims, probably as a justification for not questioning Emeagwali. I responded by saying, even all these people were guilty, that does not mean Emeagwali is not.
He has been accused of fraud, it's up to him to defend himself or not.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Buhari Over Ribadu? / Nigeria's First Female Police PRO, Ms Ngozi Conchita Braide / A Truce Between Pro And Anti Goodluck Jonathan On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.