Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote (637 Views)

Equity Demands Presidency Goes To North In PDP – Senator Ekpenyong / 2023: If Presidency Were Zoned To The South-West, Who Would Be Your Choice? / Oshiomhole Threatens To Suspend Ngige: If Presidency Condones Disrespect.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by shehuolayinka(m): 8:13pm On Oct 19, 2019
By, Fredrick Nwabufo

Why are Nigerian politicians ravished by the thought of election? They complot and machinate over it. And when they eventually get into office, they spend four years scheming for another turn instead of honouring their contract with citizens.

There is always a blue-print for the next election, but a subterfuge for governance and duty. The last general election was held in February, and just eight months after, there are already ‘’crusades and evangelism’’ ahead of the next one in 2023.

How can we make progress this way? We need to ask ourselves some uncomfortable questions? Do we keep reprocessing the same class of predators every four years? Do we consider a single term presidency? How do we reduce the cost of elections?

Our elections are about the most expensive in the world, with the cost ballooning from about N2 billion in 1999 to more than N240 billion in 2019, trumping India’s — a country much bigger in size and in population than Nigeria.

Really, the argument of former President Goodluck Jonathan on this climacteric issue reverberates with me. He foregrounded the paradox of our elections at the constitutional term limits summit in Niamey, Niger Republic.

“Four years is quite a short period for a country that is developing for a person who wants to change the country to do much. In Nigeria we just finished the election and some people are already talking about 2023 election. It is distracting,’’ he said.

“That is why some people come with the idea of a single tenure; so a president can sit down and plan all his programmes for the good of the country. We are too distracted with these elections. Why must we waste money every four years to elect a leader? Those are the things that agitate our minds.”

I think, a single term of six years may not be outrageous. Whoever is president will have to buckle-down and work, instead of thinking of the next election, which is distracting.

Also, I believe, this should apply to other elective offices. I know some lawmakers who have become fossils at the national assembly – every four years they buy their way into the legislature but with nothing to show for their perpetuity in office. Should this continue?

Electing credible candidates is a different matter entirely. As long as ethnicity and religion are the kernel for electing persons to public office here, competence and credibility will always be extraneous.

The current administration is yet to clock a year, but some agents of ‘’the presidency cabal’’ are already crusading for a ‘’pretender to the throne’’.

Babachir Lawal, former secretary to the government of the federation, who is a consort of the rulers, principalities and powers of present-day Nigeria, has kicked off the crusade with evangelism for Bola Tinubu.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/10/19/if-presidency-goes-to-south-west-in-2023-osinbajo-not-tinubu-will-get-my-vote/

1 Like

Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by subtlemee(f): 8:17pm On Oct 19, 2019
I wish we can get a president outside this PDP and APC cabal no matter the zone

1 Like

Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by DCmonster: 8:17pm On Oct 19, 2019
And it will never go to South West. North will rule Nigeria until you people have sense in the south. Mumu people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Joylove2324(f): 7:19am On Oct 20, 2019
Osinbajo is our man

1 Like

Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Nobody: 7:23am On Oct 20, 2019
Tinubu is father to Osinbajo ..so it’s more okay and great the father become president. Father can always call his son to help in his farm. Tinubu will be President then a great deal of work will be given to Osibanjo in the south west
Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Akponmfet: 7:31am On Oct 20, 2019
shehuolayinka:
By, Fredrick Nwabufo

Why are Nigerian politicians ravished by the thought of election? They complot and machinate over it. And when they eventually get into office, they spend four years scheming for another turn instead of honouring their contract with citizens.

There is always a blue-print for the next election, but a subterfuge for governance and duty. The last general election was held in February, and just eight months after, there are already ‘’crusades and evangelism’’ ahead of the next one in 2023.

How can we make progress this way? We need to ask ourselves some uncomfortable questions? Do we keep reprocessing the same class of predators every four years? Do we consider a single term presidency? How do we reduce the cost of elections?

Our elections are about the most expensive in the world, with the cost ballooning from about N2 billion in 1999 to more than N240 billion in 2019, trumping India’s — a country much bigger in size and in population than Nigeria.

Really, the argument of former President Goodluck Jonathan on this climacteric issue reverberates with me. He foregrounded the paradox of our elections at the constitutional term limits summit in Niamey, Niger Republic.

“Four years is quite a short period for a country that is developing for a person who wants to change the country to do much. In Nigeria we just finished the election and some people are already talking about 2023 election. It is distracting,’’ he said.

“That is why some people come with the idea of a single tenure; so a president can sit down and plan all his programmes for the good of the country. We are too distracted with these elections. Why must we waste money every four years to elect a leader? Those are the things that agitate our minds.”

I think, a single term of six years may not be outrageous. Whoever is president will have to buckle-down and work, instead of thinking of the next election, which is distracting.

Also, I believe, this should apply to other elective offices. I know some lawmakers who have become fossils at the national assembly – every four years they buy their way into the legislature but with nothing to show for their perpetuity in office. Should this continue?

Electing credible candidates is a different matter entirely. As long as ethnicity and religion are the kernel for electing persons to public office here, competence and credibility will always be extraneous.

The current administration is yet to clock a year, but some agents of ‘’the presidency cabal’’ are already crusading for a ‘’pretender to the throne’’.

Babachir Lawal, former secretary to the government of the federation, who is a consort of the rulers, principalities and powers of present-day Nigeria, has kicked off the crusade with evangelism for Bola Tinubu.

READ MORE: https://thebelltimesng.com/2019/10/19/if-presidency-goes-to-south-west-in-2023-osinbajo-not-tinubu-will-get-my-vote/
Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Akponmfet: 7:32am On Oct 20, 2019
And you think that your one vote is that important?
How do you know you won't be dead before 2023?
MUMU.
Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Lydia696: 9:13am On Oct 20, 2019
Osinbajo remain the best
Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by 989900: 10:11am On Oct 20, 2019
Between the two, Osinbajo would be a better option for me:

1. He is younger, 4 years ago I would have preferred Tinubu (He is arguably one of the best political administrators of our time, especially with his talent in bringing good hands together across board).
I have nothing against Asiwaju's candidacy, I have benefited indirectly from him a few times (courtesy my godfather who is his friend), but I just want us to put a kibosh to recycling old politicians for the number one job.

By 2023, Tinubu would be 71 or so, by his second term he will be almost 80 -- not again!

2. Osinbajo has more experience of being the president than Tinubu -- an endearing one at that.

3. He is level headed and not a mob boss/gangster leader like the jagaban.

We need a new direction.

P.S. IMHO, the SE should produce the next president, though my favourite man for the job and arguably the most qualified when we set aside tribe, religion, bias, and zoning is, Fashola . . . he gets stuffs done . . . if Nigeria were to be a multinational, he arguably would be the most qualified, hands down.

2 Likes

Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by mrvitalis(m): 10:18am On Oct 20, 2019
If president goes to south west ? ...I thought there is no more zoning ...let them come out n contest na ...let not come out too

There is no zoning north would contest too
Re: If Presidency Goes To South-west In 2023, Osinbajo NOT Tinubu Will Get My Vote by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 20, 2019
Tinubu will be a greater and more effective President than Osinbajo. This is the truth for those who understand Nigerian political history and its major players. Without Tinubu there would be no Osinbajo, Fashola, Fayemi, Ajimobi, Igbokwe, Akabueze, Amosun, Ngige and many others. Without Tinubu, darkness (PDP) would not have given way to daylight (APC) and a new dawn where technocrats who cannot shoot a gun or order the brutal murder of others can aspire to gain important political office and actually win. Tinubu transformed the SW political climate from a killing zone where Bola Ige (odindin AGF plus foremost Yoruba) and the likes of Ayo Daramola, Funsho Williams et al were being murdered with ease under OBJ and the PDP.

Today Aje butter Quilox Nightclub boss and Bet Naija or Naira bet supremo (not sure which one) are winning elections because Tinubu sanitized our political climate to make their win and non-intimidation possible. Nigeria Presidency is not about technocratic 'akowe' skills alone. Serious backbone and a mentality of steel is needed to take on the many monsters who want to continue keeping Nigerians enslaved. I personally feel Tinubu would be better than Osinbajo but I also accept Osinbajo can be a great President if the likes of Tinubu are behind him to compensate for his deficit as a scholar and technocrat who will not be a natural at the dirty politics his foes will battle him with. Tinubu is a gladiator and will need no one to fight his battles. Osinbajo, Fayemi, Fashola et al will need gladiators like Tinubu , Aregbe et al behind them to survive and thrive.

(1) (Reply)

Kogi PDP Mega Rally, A Red Card For Yahaya Bello - PDP / Sack Of Senator Adeyeye Is Shocking - Governor Fayemi / Good News At Last!! INEC Had Published The Election Results On Their Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.