Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,020 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 PM

44 Things You Never Knew Had Names - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names (3495 Views)

65 Internet Acronyms And Slangs You Never Knew / 10 Facts About Elephants You Never Knew / Some Facts About Nigeria You Never Knew (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by dickofglory: 5:10am On Oct 20, 2019
There's truly a word for everything.

1. Wamble
The awkward, and sometimes untimely, rumbling sound your tummy makes for any number of reasons. Next time you hear the rumble at least you'll know its true name.

2. Aglet
The plastic or metal coating found at the tip of a shoelace. If you learned anything from Phineas and Ferb, this was probably it.

3. Tines
The prongs on a fork actually have a name, and it's as dorky as you might assume.

4. Glabella
The little bit of skin between your eyebrows is called a glabella. Well thank goodness I now know the word to describe where my headaches originate from.

5. Griffonage
A fancy word for handwriting you cannot read. So our doctors don't have sloppy handwriting, they're just skilled in griffonage.

6. Lunule
The white, crescent shaped part of your nail. Next time someone asks you what you're doing when you're filing your nails tell them, "I'm sharpening my lunule."

7. Tittle
The word for the small dots over the letters 'i' and 'j.' Also what sixth grade boys call boobs (not a scientific fact, just my opinion).

8. Interrobang
The combination of an exclamation point and a question mark. Also known as the, "whoops she seems mad" punctuation mark.

9. Obelus
The real name for the division sign, because division sign is far too simple and straightforward.

10. Zarf
The little paper slip we wrap our hot coffee cups in.

11. Barm
Beer foam. I can not explain why it's "barm" and not "boam," but I'm not the queen of naming things, so.

12. Petrichor
The way it smells after it rains, commonly known as "wet concrete."

13. Purlicue
The space between the thumb and the forefingers. Generally the worst place to get a papercut.

14. Peen
The forked end of a hammer's head. What I always assumed was called "the nail pulling out part."

15. Nurdle
A small dollop of toothpaste.

16. Phosphenes
The blurbs of light you see when you close your eyes and cover them with your hands.

17. Philtrum
The small indentation that starts under your nose and runs to the upper lip.

18. Octothorpe
The "#" key on a phone. Now commonly referred to as a hashtag.

19. Armscye
The armhole in all of your clothing.

20. Minmus
The fancy name for your pinky toe.

21. Cornicone
The outer part of a pizza crust where there's no sauce or cheese.

22. Overmorrow
The day after tomorrow.

23. Ferrule
The metal part on a pencil that connects the eraser to the wood.

24. Punt
The bottom of a wine bottle. Not related to the football position.

25. Lemniscate
The real name of the infinity symbol. Commonly used as a tattoo.

26. Dysania
The feeling, or struggle, to get out of bed. Also known as every morning post-alarm clock.

27. Nibling
The non-gender defined word for a niece or nephew.

28. Collywobbles
The butterflies you get in your stomach from excitement or anxiety. Next time you're nervous be sure to lean in to the person next to you and, in a British accent, whisper, "I've got the collywobbles."

29. Snood
The fleshy, red, jiggly part of a turkeys neck. Also commonly referred to as the "dingly dangly turkey neck bit."

30. Vocable
The random syllables or noises that performers make when they're singing. Usually the "la's" or "na's" that contribute to the melody, but really don't serve a purpose otherwise.

31. Crepuscular rays
The rays of sunlight that break through the cloud layer.

32. Brannock device
The tool they use to measure and size your feet at the shoe store.

33. Zugzwang
When every possible move in a board game, particularly chess, is to your disadvantage. This can also happen while playing Connect Four and Tic-Tac-Toe.

34. Scroop
The sound made by silk in motion. You can hear it while wearing a ballgown, or simple by indulging in fancy pajamas.

35. Kummerspeck
A word based in German heritage which refers to weight gained while stress-eating, eating due to grief or using food to fix your heart. In German it literally translates to grief bacon, which I think it's pretty accurate.

36. Crapulous
You know the feeling when you eat or drink too much and find yourself sick or nauseated? Good thing there's a word for that, which also sounds like a word a third-grader made up to make fun of his playground crush.

37. Niddick
This is the technical term for the nape of your neck.

38. Ideolocator
The true name for the "you are here" marking on a map. These are commonly found in malls and zoos.

39. Peladophobia
This is the uncontrollable fear of bald people.

40. Arachibutyrophobia
The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth, which is ironic since this word certainly doesn't flow smoothly.

41. Zings
The posh name for your average hangover.

42. Biblioklept
A compulsive book thief or collector.

43. Aphthongs
Silent letters in words like "knife" and "Django."

Compiled by @uncleamashin on IG

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by Emrixx(f): 5:55am On Oct 20, 2019
Lovely.
Front page material

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by Donmoscojaja(m): 6:11am On Oct 20, 2019
Emrixx:
Lovely. Front page material

How will this help Nigerians?
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by Emrixx(f): 6:12am On Oct 20, 2019
Donmoscojaja:

How has quoting me helped you ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by coolcharm(m): 6:26am On Oct 20, 2019
Good read
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by Holaryhemy(f): 6:59am On Oct 20, 2019
Wow, I never heard of most of those words.

2 Likes

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by Luckysbab: 8:21am On Oct 20, 2019
Donmoscojaja:

It can help those who are writers, to improve their vocabulary base and that means they appeal to a larger audience plus get better pay.

Okay?

3 Likes

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by peteruuu(m): 9:00am On Oct 20, 2019
dickofglory:

1. Wamble
The awkward, and sometimes untimely, rumbling sound your tummy makes for any number of reasons. Next time you hear the rumble at least you'll know its true name.

2. Aglet
The plastic or metal coating found at the tip of a shoelace. If you learned anything from Phineas and Ferb, this was probably it.

3. Tines
The prongs on a fork actually have a name, and it's as dorky as you might assume.

4. Glabella
The little bit of skin between your eyebrows is called a glabella. Well thank goodness I now know the word to describe where my headaches originate from.

5. Griffonage
A fancy word for handwriting you cannot read. So our doctors don't have sloppy handwriting, they're just skilled in griffonage.

6. Lunule
The white, crescent shaped part of your nail. Next time someone asks you what you're doing when you're filing your nails tell them, "I'm sharpening my lunule."

7. Tittle
The word for the small dots over the letters 'i' and 'j.' Also what sixth grade boys call boobs (not a scientific fact, just my opinion).

8. Interrobang
The combination of an exclamation point and a question mark. Also known as the, "whoops she seems mad" punctuation mark.

9. Obelus
The real name for the division sign, because division sign is far too simple and straightforward.

10. Zarf

11. Barm
Beer foam. I can not explain why it's "barm" and not "boam," but I'm not the queen of naming things, so.

12. Petrichor

13. Purlicue
The space between the thumb and the forefingers. Generally the worst place to get a papercut.

14. Peen
The forked end of a hammer's head. What I always assumed was called "the nail pulling out part."

15. Nurdle

16. Phosphenes
The blurbs of light you see when you close your eyes and cover them with your hands.

17. Philtrum

18. Octothorpe

19. Armscye

20. Minmus

21. Cornicone

22. Overmorrow
The day after tomorrow.

23. Ferrule

24. Punt

25. Lemniscate

26. Dysania
The feeling, or struggle, to get out of bed. Also known as every morning post-alarm clock.

27. Nibling

28. Collywobbles
The butterflies you get in your stomach from excitement or anxiety. Next time you're nervous be sure to lean in to the person next to you and, in a British accent, whisper, "I've got the collywobbles."

29. Snood
The fleshy, red, jiggly part of a turkeys neck. Also commonly referred to as the "dingly dangly turkey neck bit."

30. Vocable
The random syllables or noises that performers make when they're singing. Usually the "la's" or "na's" that contribute to the melody, but really don't serve a purpose otherwise.

31. Crepuscular rays

32. Brannock device

33. Zugzwang
When every possible move in a board game, particularly chess, is to your disadvantage. This can also happen while playing Connect Four and Tic-Tac-Toe.

34. Scroop
The sound made by silk in motion. You can hear it while wearing a ballgown, or simple by indulging in fancy pajamas.

35. Kummerspeck
A word based in German heritage which refers to weight gained while stress-eating, eating due to grief or using food to fix your heart. In German it literally translates to grief bacon, which I think it's pretty accurate.

36. Crapulous
You know the feeling when you eat or drink too much and find yourself sick or nauseated? Good thing there's a word for that, which also sounds like a word a third-grader made up to make fun of his playground crush.

37. Niddick

38. Ideolocator
The true name for the "you are here" marking on a map. These are commonly found in malls and zoos.

39. Peladophobia

40. Arachibutyrophobia
The fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of your mouth, which is ironic since this word certainly doesn't flow smoothly.

41. Zings

42. Biblioklept

43. Aphthongs

Educative.

2 Likes

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by DaddyMorenike: 9:42am On Oct 20, 2019
Punt is wrong. It's supposed to be the past tense of pant.
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by greatbrian(m): 9:51am On Oct 20, 2019
Very educating thread. Now I feel am better than I used to 5mins ago before I saw this

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by mikkyex(m): 9:56am On Oct 20, 2019
It's cool but all this at once I believe is much to comprehend at a glance

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by seunmohmoh(f): 10:17am On Oct 20, 2019
I screenshot everything. Thank you op.

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by seunmohmoh(f): 10:22am On Oct 20, 2019
mikkyex:
It's cool but all this at once I believe is much to comprehend at a glance
You can always learn it later.

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by omowolewa: 10:52am On Oct 20, 2019
Great
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by ibnzubair(m): 12:07pm On Oct 20, 2019
Knew only few of those.

Griffonage; all my doctor friends are in trouble

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by PrincessB1(f): 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2019
Wow!

This is front-page worthy

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by purples25(f): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2019
Nice! I've learnt some new words.
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by DAVE41(m): 2:53pm On Oct 20, 2019
NEED A WORK

COME HERE

www-nairaland-com.0.freebasics.com/5482089/contract- staff-casuals-only-factoryworks? iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfpg8pOmNV7 https- www-nairaland-com.0.freebasics.com/5482089/ contract-staff-casuals-only-factoryworks? iorg_service_id_internal=1646953538912597%3BAfpg8pOmNV7
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by ThreeEyedRaven: 9:36pm On Oct 20, 2019
Those mods won't see this educational piece and push it to front page. But if na the five words from Dele Momodu congratulating Davido and Chioma that adds nothing to our general well-being, they'll push it front page.

Anyways, very nice piece op, thanks for enlightening me and my kinds

3 Likes

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by HenryHenry177: 9:53pm On Oct 20, 2019
This must make front page

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by slimay(m): 10:32pm On Oct 20, 2019
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by emmancipated(m): 12:56am On Oct 21, 2019
Nice one Op, but you should have accompanied it with pictures for clarity purpose

1 Like

Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by dickofglory: 8:24am On Oct 21, 2019
dickofglory:

1. Wamble

2. Aglet

3. Tines

4. Glabella

5. Griffonage

6. Lunule

7. Tittle

8. Interrobang

9. Obelus

10. Zarf

11. Barm

12. Petrichor

13. Purlicue

14. Peen

15. Nurdle

16. Phosphenes

17. Philtrum

18. Octothorpe

19. Armscye

20. Minmus

21. Cornicone

22. Overmorrow
The day after tomorrow.

23. Ferrule

24. Punt

25. Lemniscate

26. Dysania

27. Nibling

28. Collywobbles

29. Snood

30. Vocable

31. Crepuscular rays

32. Brannock device

33. Zugzwang

34. Scroop

35. Kummerspeck

36. Crapulous

37. Niddick

38. Ideolocator

39. Peladophobia

40. Arachibutyrophobia

41. Zings

42. Biblioklept

43. Aphthongs

front page please
Re: 44 Things You Never Knew Had Names by kobosmart(m): 7:13pm On Oct 21, 2019
DAVE41:
NEED A WORK
Gbagaun

(1) (Reply)

Oau Diploma(local Government Studies)ile Ife Osun State..... / The Amazing Sad Fish(photo) / Top Seven African Universities With The Best Stadia - HigherEd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.