Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,784 members, 7,813,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:38 PM

Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins (43638 Views)

Gunshots As Police Rescue Victim Abducted In Abuja, Arrest Kidnapper / Police Arrest Kidnapper Anthony Ndubuisi, Uncover Victims Bodies In Septic Tank / Soldier Drags Policeman Who Collected N50k From Some Guys (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Sleevia: 8:18pm On Oct 22, 2019
MrNipplesLover:
annoying enough, these criminals: kidnappers, armed robbers, cultists, etc., always appear and look malnourished, despite the money the make from their cursed illegal activities.

Look at this one for example.

angry
so u no read but just rush to comment after reading headlines

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by maazi45: 8:19pm On Oct 22, 2019
Powersurge:

the man in custody is not innocent. He is culpable. Selling of SIM card to a third party is a crime. Because of his action, someone nearly lost her life
hunger neva catch u b4 na who dey call u self .

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 8:25pm On Oct 22, 2019
Capnd143:
I don't get it, it seems we are all missing the point here. They man in custody is clearly innocent. To put succinctly, he is an unwilling accomplice. The police should only try to get information from him regarding how the real suspect looks like. Someone who is from the North, clearly speaks only Hausa, drives okada, doesn't own a bank account clearly doesn't fit this profile. I'm sure that guy doesn't own a Facebook account talk less of a bitcoin wallet? Come-On! Where is our intelligence in this country. The police are clearly clueless as to how to investigate a bitcoin transaction. Even the CIA would find it extremely hard to pull this one off talk less of the NPF. Now his picture is already everywhere on the internet, wrongly tagged a kidnapper and our bloggers and media outlet are un-disappointingly stupid enough to spread such news. The NPF should be sued for such outrageously press release.

The innocent okada rider should be set free.

From a southerner in defense of a Northerner
#OneNigeria

Very thoughtful analysis but sad that some people would not reason like this. The reporting and post topic is also garbage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 22, 2019
FindingNigeria:

This one was caught through mobile triangulation. However once you send crypto to an exchange site, the government can have them release information about that transaction.

Highly ignorant and careless post of how cryptos work
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by CArt(m): 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2019
TheTourist:
NIGERIA POLICE INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY DEPARTMENT.......THUMBS UP

U didn't read the whole story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by PapaAdanna: 8:44pm On Oct 22, 2019
But who show dis aboki Bitcoin? grin grin
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by luiscarter(m): 9:00pm On Oct 22, 2019
mercyviv:

Is like you know him better, maybe EFCC should invite you too, since they're still trying to locate the other accomplices at large! grin
Meanwhile...
Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to the best compilation of school lesson notes/plans, curriculum and exams. Visit my signature for details...

He looks too dirty to have such money
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by CrazyOptimist: 9:04pm On Oct 22, 2019
TheTourist:

Which kain thumbs up?
Haba alhaji
Where is the professionalism here?
The other members of the syndicate would have read this on the internet and taken off.
Why not arrest all the culprits before making a media show.

Awon ode
Mtshew

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Kokaine(m): 9:04pm On Oct 22, 2019
TheGiftedOne:
And this one collected ransom in Bitcoins, what an e-kidnapper!

These guys want to take crime to a whole new level where our gallant and "intelligent" officers will struggle to decipher or unravel the crime.
#FresherCoursesNPF
Our stupid police and SARS will take your phone and be checking WhatsApp, account balance, phone book and pictures for evidence that you are a yahoo boy. If they don't see any evidence, they ask for your salary payslip. Dumb bleeps

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by flexshop(m): 9:07pm On Oct 22, 2019
FindingNigeria:

Yeah, but then it finally moves to an exchange for it to get a cash value...

That's where it all bursts. Without an exchange site, the money is frozen and of no value to the abductor.

This is partly true

There are a lot of ways to circumvent this. Even at that payments made to wallets are untraceable. It’s just an address you pay to not a wallet Id or account

Ever heard of btc mixers?
Also there are dozens of exchanges that do otc transactions ie btc to cash transfer from member to member
You can actually use it for purchases online or launder it on the dark web

There is a reason btc and crypto are a go to currency for terrorists and evil elements
It’s virtually untraceable
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by radautoworks: 9:07pm On Oct 22, 2019
thebigkendo:

What trace? I don't think you understand how btc works

Correct. Even the owner cannot trace Bitcoin if he loses his key
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by heendrix(m): 9:21pm On Oct 22, 2019
FindingNigeria:

But it eventually leaves a trace, even if it takes 100 transactions till it hits the exchange.

ion think it can be traced bro.....a guy suddenly blew in our department soon all cause $30k worth of bitcoin was mistakenly transferred to his wallet and after waiting a while the stuff wasn't retracted he quickly did justice to it

that was like a charm for the young dude cause he buy cars anyhow now
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by ibinaboonline: 9:27pm On Oct 22, 2019
Arrests were made based on phone calls as usual. That's where our police is proficient. I came to see if they were able to trace the bitcoin. Of course they couldn't. Though I believe there is really no such thing as anonymous, not even bitcoin.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Fantazy(m): 9:32pm On Oct 22, 2019
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 9:52pm On Oct 22, 2019
FindingNigeria:
Cryptos are the easiest things to track... how do you think you're anonymous when everything is decentralized?

They do not need any permit from a judge or security operative to follow your transactions...

Most nigerians even use Luno, a platform that will carry out stringent verification formalities.

Good thing they've been busted. They should say hi to Mompha for us.
You wont say this if you know much about crypto
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by jnoz23(m): 9:56pm On Oct 22, 2019
This is not the main suspect na?

NPF SEF!!!
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by EagleSquare1(m): 10:48pm On Oct 22, 2019
No doubt the young man is a handsome dark guy. No one can change that fact. Not even your comments generating likes from here and there. You know some pedestrians on NL just tap on like and move on.

FreddyKruger:
Does this ugly almajiri know how to transact in bitcoins?
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by emmanuelpopson(m): 10:52pm On Oct 22, 2019
the guy is innocent and can't be taken to court.. why..nothing was found on him to be implicated. the only thing is that his sim was used for fraud and kidnapping which he can win and sue the police for defamation of his name and false accusations. why?? there is no law that said you can't sell your property.. his sim was bought and used...he was tricked to have the money. the police should forget this n face the btc exchangers.. they should have collaborated wit them to know likely people that will withdraw massive cash for btc
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 11:48pm On Oct 22, 2019
This news is a lie,
Even Chinese govt, Japanese govt, Korean govt and US govt intelligence put together can't catch someone who made Bitcoin transaction,

Anyway, let it be on record that Hausa/Fulani introduced bitcoin payment to kidnappers
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by oluwatunez(m): 11:52pm On Oct 22, 2019
I laugh in Chinese, the guy no look like person wey know weyting be PAXFUL or coinbase not to talk of bitcoin, Nigeria is home of nonsense
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by HOB777(m): 11:57pm On Oct 22, 2019
MrNipplesLover:
annoying enough, these criminals: kidnappers, armed robbers, cultists, etc., always appear and look malnourished, despite the money the make from their cursed illegal activities.

angry

You're just one among numerous of headline responders.
Read , you'll not read and ended up disgracing yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 1:31am On Oct 23, 2019
TheTourist:

Thumbs up for arresting mumu keke rider that knows nothing about the case.

1 Like

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 23, 2019
PoliticalWitch:
In other words, the kidnappers were.smart.

They bought the guy's Sim for 1000 naira, enough to buy a replacement, and then used that Sim to make the calls

Something also tells me they were moving from place to place while making the calls

The guy caught might be able to give a description of the buyer of his Sim for the police artist, which might provide a lead, otherwise, the case is cold.

That's probably why using the Sim card to solve kidnappings is going to be tougher. A kidnapper might buy a Sim from a stranger, and use it then vanish

Your comment is on point.
The guys were wise and smart at the same time.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 2:56am On Oct 23, 2019
Adaahjacob:
This case is dead on arrival, u cant trace d bitcoin owner.....try harder 9ja!
Just free d poor 'aboki' dude, niqqa sold his sim card for 1k.....
The hustle is real.

NB: Bitcoins are hard to track.......

Don't be deceived, bitcoins can be easily tracked and every bitcoin transactions is recorded on the blockchain.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 23, 2019
Isinweke:
This news is a lie,
Even Chinese govt, Japanese govt, Korean govt and US govt intelligence put together can't catch someone who made Bitcoin transaction,

Anyway, let it be on record that Hausa/Fulani introduced bitcoin payment to kidnappers

Man you need to update yourself. Bitcoin transactions can be easily tracked.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by persius555(m): 3:48am On Oct 23, 2019
Capnd143:
I don't get it, it seems we are all missing the point here. They man in custody is clearly innocent. To put succinctly, he is an unwilling accomplice. The police should only try to get information from him regarding how the real suspect looks like. Someone who is from the North, clearly speaks only Hausa, drives okada, doesn't own a bank account clearly doesn't fit this profile. I'm sure that guy doesn't own a Facebook account talk less of a bitcoin wallet? Come-On! Where is our intelligence in this country. The police are clearly clueless as to how to investigate a bitcoin transaction. Even the CIA would find it extremely hard to pull this one off talk less of the NPF. Now his picture is already everywhere on the internet, wrongly tagged a kidnapper and our bloggers and media outlet are un-disappointingly stupid enough to spread such news. The NPF should be sued for such outrageously press release.

The innocent okada rider should be set free.

Modified: the mods should please rephrase the topic or take down the picture of the poor lad. This guy is clearly vindicated as not being the actual kidnapper by the police. Nairaland should not be aiding the spread of unverified and inauthentic news.

Cc: Lalasticala Seun Mynd44 OAM4J

From a southerner in defense of a Northerner
#OneNigeria

You don't get it. The police just rounded up the case. With bitcoin, the case just gone cold. The police know the guy is most likely innocent just ignorant but in court no such thing exists. The poor guy will take the fall and the culprits will definitely embark on another kidnap attempt.
There are thousands of hungry Nigerians who will sell their sim out of ignorance.
The police should be smart enough to know this.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by A305: 5:24am On Oct 23, 2019
FindingNigeria:

This one was caught through mobile triangulation. However once you send crypto to an exchange site, the government can have them release information about that transaction.
Not true, this could only be possible if you are buying Bitcoin on an exchange site with cash. How the cash travel is how the exchange site has Intel info on. Not after when bitcoin is bought. No one can trace Bitcoin.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by kingadex(m): 5:30am On Oct 23, 2019
Never Trust any word that come from Nigeria Police, They may frame the young Man because he doesn't look like someone who have $1000....Anti-kidnapping squad came to my house, Rob my house and kidnap My brother, I bail him with 100k the following morning for them not to tarnish the boy name, they threaten to tag him as kidnappers, after consulting some security personnel. I was ask to pay them to save the boy future. Naija na trash
MrNipplesLover:

angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by A305: 5:35am On Oct 23, 2019
flexshop:

Exchange sites are not wallets

Luno is not blockchain

Even the FBI and CIA may not be able to track a transaction on a wallet with a very strong vpn

That’s why BTC is the currency of the dark web
Not true, Bitcoin is decentralized meaning, it comes from many sources as a means of payment to the paid person and you can never track or trace the transaction unless the owner hands his key(password) over to you. Be it a block chain or exchange site, it can never be tracked. It even more complex than whatsapp chat private key synchronization and the usage for the deep dark web is because, it's the only hide out for where criminals hook up or meet their client. Not for Bitcoin reason but Bitcoin is their means of payment and they display their wallet info always on their website, if Btc was trackable, they wouldn't be f oolish enough to put out their wallet info.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by A305: 5:40am On Oct 23, 2019
FindingNigeria:

Yeah, but then it finally moves to an exchange for it to get a cash value...

That's where it all bursts. Without an exchange site, the money is frozen and of no value to the abductor.
what if they forwarded Bitcoin to an exchange site to be withdrawn outside of Nigeria in a foreign bank account?

Even in Nigeria, I doubt they would be caught, because they wouldn't be silly to withdraw all 15k dollars at once. And no trace on the Bitcoin so anyone could withdraw it little by little, No issue at all.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by MrNipplesLover(m): 7:07am On Oct 23, 2019
kingadex:
Never Trust any word that come from Nigeria Police, They may frame the young Man because he doesn't look like someone who have $1000....

Anti-kidnapping squad came to my house, Rob my house and kidnap My brother, I bail him with 100k the following morning for them not to tarnish the boy name, they threaten to tag him as kidnappers, after consulting some security personnel
I was ask to pay them to save the boy future. Naija na trash

shocked shocked omoh, those stupid security agents no go see good things in life. imagine the bolded.
that's why they will keep appearing like a hungry and malnourished cursed fools.
me self Don see and witness their stupidity a couple of times.

however,
the point I was trying to make was that almost [over 90%] all the criminals that are into robbery, cultism, kidnapping and etc always look unkempt and malnourished, despite the money they make from the illegal activities.

I hail u, bro.
Re: Police Arrest Kidnapper Who Collected $15,000 Ransom In Bitcoins by tejiritex(m): 7:12am On Oct 23, 2019
madridguy:
“The suspect was arrested around Apo after the phone number used for the criminal act was traced to him.

Makes no sense

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Indian Steals Nigerian Man's joystick In Satellite Town (pics,video) / Man Erroneously Gets N10m Deposit In His Account In Lagos, Pays Debts With It / Truck Driver Kills Wife For Reporting Him To Her Mother In Abeokuta (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.