Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . (3792 Views)

Senate Presidency: Akume Disagrees With Tinubu, Akande On Zoning / Financial Times Describes Tinubu As Nigeria's Machiavelli (see Evidence) / LET'S HEAR IT FOR NICCOLO MACHIAVELLI! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 16, 2010
@banom my day is goin well,thanks and God bless u for having the time to reply me.looking forward for ur next post and explaination on how i can be ur aprentice.takia.
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by davidnnachi: 9:50pm On Mar 02, 2012
Well,
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by davidnnachi: 10:34pm On Mar 02, 2012
This right here is instresting to me. Especially since most replies are from very good students of Robert Greene, Sun
Tzu, Musashi, Machiavelli , Carl Van Clausewitz e.t.c.
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by davidnnachi: 10:35pm On Mar 02, 2012
I cant help but agree with Banon on Roberts Position in the strategist hall of  fame.

I own and have read all of his books and agree with most; if not all of his theories and extractions. I must also mention that Robert Greene has more similarities to Sun Tzu than Nicholo, as it is. He's timeless wisdom and strategies are as vague and open ended as Tzu's, and his perspectives reaches for a wider range of utility (which i think in Roberts case was bottom of pyramid - the "once upon a powerless" "oblivious to social power games" man/woman living in a social society that has many similarities in Politics; to that of the aristocratic court of medieval times).

The Prince was only right for the times it served, the times when principalities could and must use overt maneuvers to gain power.

The message theme: ruthless and violent, his target: Princes, priests kings and power holders: with a liking for adventure, and an aggressive entrepreneurial mindset in an era of civilization that would have rendered any other approach obsolete.

It would have been self indulgent communication and therefore less widespread if he crafted his articles in any other "form". Im sure there might have been others who have written more brilliantly on these topic but never became famous due to their lack of knowledge and understanding of the times, forms and themes of written communication.

Sun Tzu, from history was never truly a military general.

He's approach was somewhat similar to the open ended wisdom of "Hagakure".which appealed to every possible position, social standing or occupation
(samurai, architect/carpenter, military general, business man e.t.c).
He's message: getting your way (I.e power) by the best means possible. He's target: almost every social strata.

These lessons have been seen to apply today to Business men/women, politicians, Entrepreneurs, Pastors, Military Generals, Children, Parents, Con-men,
Thieves, Lovers e.t.c).

Lets face it Sun Tzu's theories where just as ruthless as Nicholo's, but because he kept it vague and open-ended, those whose view of morality is somewhat one-sided (I.e its either good/bad) can choose to see what they want. which is totally different from what would advance them further and protect their interests on the long run.

Even Nicholo advices on seduction as a means to getting your way sometimes, but doesn't dwell on the topic so much; as it wouldn't spark his desired attention or fit the emotion he was hoping to ignite.

That being said.

I dont think only a Machiavellian approach would be relevant to the situation to which our dear Banom has presented.
The G.S (grand strategy) as me and my friend would call it, must be set and put first. The ultimate goal must be determined.

Otherwise, the question remains: after using all these means & methods to attain power,then what next?

Failing to see the overall picture means the wrong move might spark a civil war or power war that creates an oppurtunity  for external powers (U.S, Britain, France) or Maybe internal power (West - Yoruba, South Eastern - Ibo's) jump in when both parties become weak to take advantage of the chaos & create their own power platform at the expense of GEJ & the Northern powers.

Understand:Attaining Power isn't the point, for history has shown that a man who focus his mind to do so, will. But only for a short while if he fails to calculate way ahead of the present moment with every possible outcome integrated and without his understanding of all the elements and without planning an exit
strategy (knowing how to end things).

I must count your proposed strategies somewhat limited, since you have analyzed and proposed a means with zero knowledge of the enemy.
Forgetting that even alliances can be productive as well as destructive, if not properly thought through. Remember everyone is angling for power not just you.

Furthermore, the situation cannot best thought thru without considering the interests influencing powers like the U.S and U.K. (think Gen Sani Abacha and his
mysterious assassination).

There are always common, subtle and abstract enemies looming in the dark also. this cannot be ignored or  denied.
so the question is what is the ultimate goal for any party?

Acquiring Power is not just enough, Retaining it even more important, Expanding its reach is ultimate!

till someone has answers to these questions, no strategy can be considered valid.

Best regards David

Ps: I would welcome further contact  from people who think in a similar way. im currently in Lagos.
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by banom(m): 2:36pm On May 15, 2012
Wow, @ davidnnachi,
i really love your response, only that i was too busy all these while to respond. I intend opening a fresh thread where all of us will come together and discuss these issues of strategy. I am really happy to have around, you guys with such brilliance. Its like a dream come true for me, to bring strategy back home. I have been for years discussing with other guys @ sonshi.com. But i am happy we are finally coming back to Naija. I will alert you and other guys when i open the thread.

Nice day wishes.
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by lagdmark(m): 9:47pm On Feb 22, 2016
Kemi's appointment is enough Fraud, because they use her to compensate some mafia
Re: 2011: Nicholo Machiavelli And Robert Greene Speaks On Zoning . by Goldman360: 11:44am On Oct 06, 2017
Comparative Analysis Of Machiavelli Principle And Nigerian Society

However, Machiavelli’s chief point was that the ruler chooses only those means that could guarantee that the end be in fact achieved. The ruler should therefore extricate anything that would make him despicable so as to win the favour of the people. Such things as greediness, infringement on others’ rights, appearing fickle, frivolous, cowardly irresolute and so on, should be avoided...

http://www.scharticles.com/comparative-analysis-machiavelli-principle-nigerian-society/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deportation: Obi Writes Jonathan As NBA Threatens Legal Action / GEJ: Two Years In Pictures / Governor Impregnates House Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.